- Please check and comment entries here.
Jacky Liew (Shi Gongzi)
Personal Biography of Agricultural Lecturer and he is the first person to be known as food gourmet in Malaysia. He also an expert in Nyonya Culture Research and introduced the concept of 3 social classes and 5 main races of Malaysia Cuisine. Currently, focusing on the research in the field of Big Data in application of promoting food. He also the founder the of God Big Data.
Jacky Liew (Chinese: 廖城兰) is a Nyonya scholar in Malaysia. He better known by his pen name Shi Gongzi (Chinese: 食公子) as a Chinese food columnist and author in Malaysia. He was rewarded and recognized by P.M.C Social Service Excellence Award in Malaysia. He also a Food Critic since the 1988 and was the first person to be known as a food gourmet in Malaysia.
2. Awards and Career
- In 2002, he became the Lecturer of Today Agriculture College and advisor of the college magazine.
- In 2006, he was invited to become the National Business Coordinator in Nanyang Press, Malaysia.
- In 2007, he was involved in political commentary who met with 119 politicians from the nations and abroad.
- In 2008, he was rewarded P.M.C Social Service Excellence Award from the 10th Yang di-Pertuan Agong Tuanku Ja’afar and was trusted by Yamtuan to make descriptive record of the royal and he was also the recipient of the World Food Gourmet Badges under the appearance of 11th Yamtuan Besar.
- In 2011, he received the Excellent Paper Award in China International Symposium
- In 2013, he was entered into the area of big data of science, applied Internet technology to redefine the Malaysia Food Evaluation Standards.
- In 2014, he was ranked among star chefs of Malaysia, Singapore and Taiwan.
- In 2017, Jacky as a writer classified into the representative of educational, culture and social science in educational fairs.
- In 2018, Jacky was the research object in the master thesis of University Abdul Rahman Food Review and Its Implication on Malaysia Chinese Food Consumption by Wan Mee San.
3. Literary Works
As a scholar to Malaysia Food History, his literary work in 2010 “Truly Nyonya Malacca was selected and become part of collection of the Library of Congress in Washington, DC, the National Library of Singapore, the National Library of Malaysia, the Library of University Technical Malaysia (UTeM) and Ngee Ann Polytechnic in Singapore.
He also the first person who introduced the concept of Malaysian food was belongs to the “Malay Archipelago Cuisine influences by Nanyang area” and he divides Malaysian food into 3 social classes which are 1. King and Noble Cuisines, 2. National Heritage Food; 3. Cuisines and also classified into 5 main races based on geography, languages family and so on, that is:
1. "Malay cuisine" composed of Proto-Malays, Malay Deutero, Malay world (Nusantara), and Arab immigrants of the Austronesian family.
2. "Chinese cuisine" composed of the dialects of the Sino-Tibetan language family in Malaysia and the cooking method are inherited from the native place in southern China.
3. "North and South Indian cuisines" composed of the Dravidian and Indo-European languages holder in Malaysia which are divided into "Mamak" in which Malays and South Indians intermarried and "Indian Muslims" of mixed ethnicity between Malays and North Indians. These two groups have the same "indigenous" status as the Malays. In India, Muslims are not as fluent in Tamil, but they use Penang Malay.
4. As for the “specified ethnic cuisine” which specified in Malay creole, it is limited to the Nyonya or Peranakan cuisine who intermarried between Chinese and Malay during the British colonial period and Chitty who intermarried between Indian and Malay. It is different from Mamak and Indian Muslims, Chitty does not believe in Muslims.
5. The most primitive cuisine composed of the indigenous people of West Malaysia and the Great North Borneo of East Malaysia, and the indigenous people of Sabah and Sarawak of Central Sarawak.
As for the other two more special ones, they are:
6. During the colonial period of Malaysia, Portuguese, British, Dutch, etc. and the locals bred out descendants of Eurasian cuisine. Among them, the Malacca native Portuguese Eurasian "Luso-Asian cuisine" was the fusion of Western Portugal and Malay culture is more famous.
7. Malaysian Siamese cuisine of Sam Sam people in the four northern states of Malaysia that originally belonged to the Thai territory.
4. Future Research Direction
Jacky Liew worked to redefine the food industry with data science. With the innovation of big data and artificial intelligence in catering industry, it can provide a new service supply system for the diversified, multi-level, customized industry in the future, so as to benefit the global competitive advantage of catering and enterprises. From 2011 to 2012, the application of big data was increase, followed by the advent of hundreds of millions of Internet and mobile terminals. In 2013, Jacky Liew transferred from digital platform of film and television publications to the big data industry, cloud computing and digital technology to redefine the practical assets and future value of the catering industry.
By taking the lead in using the big data intelligent machine system, the catering industry will be more specifically in quality, function, precision, and technological operation 3.0 system and use technology to innovate the catering industry and join the global market. Jacky Liew intends to start multi-dimensional monitoring and intelligent analysis of the collection, classification, and arrangement of the data in food industry without being restricted by the number of people, time and regions and classified according to the region or select the attributes, gender, age, occupation, interests and behaviors of the characters until achieve the data-oriented that even tastes, preferences, supply and demand, and store operations are realized.
With the use of Cookie, the tracking and marking, according to people's timely needs will be able to make targeted follow-up recommendation decisions to satisfy customers "Individualized demand" and commercial "target market positioning". The greatest benefit of big data is not only in precision marketing, but in predicting the future, organizing proactive knowledge decision-making, finding predictive information to gain insight in advance, developing the market, creating market share, reducing expenses, and using big data analysis and analysis Artificial intelligence technology controls or captures valuable information in business and even extracts market intelligence from opponents, analyzes and handles major or potential unfavorable factors and internal problems that may trigger risk assessment.
- Jacky Liew. Truly Nyonya Malacca; Seashore Malaysia: Malaysia, 2010; pp. 118.