Encyclopedia platform is an online reference created and curated by active scholars. As a user-created content scholarly platform, it aims to form a comprehensive record of scientific development as well as provide reference information for researchers and the general public who are interested in accurate and advanced knowledge on specific topics. Details can be found on the About page.
Topic Review: Scholars can: (1) introduce new discoveries or concepts, introduce the main concepts and ideas, which may also include the origin, development history, milestones, leading figures or related people, current status, predictions, future directions, and any other relevant information; (2) present the conclusions of one or several research projects on a single, specific topic, or a general review of a research field. Results can relate to a single field, a research group, or a collective of researchers; (3) provide research project proposals and expected results. The format is a research plan for studies to be undertaken in the near future. The aim is to collect feedback from other researchers in the field and to inform them of ongoing research in order to build collaborations and prevent duplicate work.
Biography: Tell a story of a person’s career and experience. The point of a biographical essay is to reveal who that person was and what contribution they made to the world. That person could be a historical figure, a famous actor, politician, artist, writer, or inventor.
Interesting Videos: Introduces the content of your videos. The information should be of scientific value.
The title of your entry should be concise, specific, and relevant. It could be a noun or noun phrase within 5 words. The title in Encyclopedia is unique in this platform.
Topic Review: A brief overview of the entry title. It should be objective and concise. Defining explanations should focus on the most essential points of information about the topic being described.
Biography: Tell a story of a person’s career and experience briefly within 2-5 sentences.
For Topic review, the entry content can be written following Encyclopedia style with more than 2 sections to express the mature knowledge about this topic, such as introduction, history, new discoveries or concepts, milestones, leading figures, influences, applications, current status, and any other relevant well-known information.
For Biography, it could include a detailed introduction about education background and career, research interests, publications, and a summary of project development and academic achievements.
For Video, it should be a presentation about a certain scientific research topic, an experimental/surgery operation record, or other interesting and worthwhile simulation videos. The speaker, operator, or simulation process could be introduced following the video file.
1. Language: Encyclopedia does not support any language other than English at present.
2. Length: A comprehensive entry is encouraged to contain at least 1000 words or longer.
1. New users should register at https://encyclopedia.pub/ and activate their new accounts by email. It is not necessary to register again if you are the user of our other platform including MDPI, SUSY, Sciprofile, Sciforum, and Preprints.
2. Please check existing entries using the “Search” function on the homepage to see whether there are any similar entries before you create a new one. Click “submit” to start a new entry and access the entry register page. Users need select their subject and entry type. Once the entry type is selected, a template introduction would be loaded in the content part. To increase the exposure time in the search engine, we encourage authors to make the title as short as possible.
3. Proceed to the entry editing page. This is an online editing tool for adding and editing text, formats, figures, tables, and references. Here, there is a short video to show some special functions of this editing tool:
Note: a. Inserted references can be edited or deleted directly from the Reference section. b. Figures could be pasted to the editing window directly.
4. During the editing process, the draft will be saved automatically once per minute. Users can also save the draft manually at any time. After editing and formatting the contents, finish and announce the entry by clicking the “Submit” icon. The entry will immediately be available online.
5. Entries can have more than one author while still in the draft phase. The creator can add co-authors to share editing rights with others after saving the content of their entry. They could also go to the "Submission List" in their profile status and click "Share Editing Rights" to invite co-authors. Co-authors can be added or removed using their email address. The invited co-author will receive a notification email and will see the shared entry in their own profile.
6. If the entry has more than one author, for entries under revision, the creator can change the author order by moving the email addresses in the “Share editing rights” link. For published entries, authors can click the “Add co-author” to change order. The creator is always the first author in the sequence.
7. As only one user can edit the entry information at a time, others will not have access until the last user has finished.
8. Only the original creator can submit the entry to appear online. All authors will be notified by email when the submission is made.
9. If the published entry is not suitable to be published, i.e., not fit for the MDPI policy or too short to describe the opinion clearly, the Editorial Office has the right to change the status back to draft for re-editing again by authors before submission or delete it directly.
Any reader can revise entry content by clicking “Edit” on the entry homepage. This takes you to the entry editing tool, as described above. Via “History”, you can check any previous revisions. The changes made to each version are highlighted: Those in red have been removed from the old version, and those in green are newly added.
Any readers can post a comment by clicking “Discussions & Comments” on the relevant entry page. Using the “Add” icon at the right side of title, a new discussion can be created.
For some well-prepared entries, authors could apply for DOI for the latest version by submitting the content to Encyclopedia journal. The basic conditions of a well-prepared entry should be as follows:
The entry length is longer than 3000 words;
The content is original without any copyright conflict;
Two or more experts left their comments in Discussion part;
Authors need to edit the entry content in Word or Latex based on the request in journal instructions for authors and submit it in the submission system. Then single-blind peer reviewing work would be organized by the editorial office.
Besides the basic conditions, the editors judge the application mainly on:
Language. English language and style are acceptable with no grammar mistakes or typos.
Content. The content would be judged mainly from the following points: original -- not been published somewhere else, significant to the field, scientifically sound and not misleading, appropriate and adequate citations.
Structure. The entry has a clear goal, structure, and logic. The necessary information is clear and integrated.
After peer reviewing, the final decision would be done according to all comments from reviewers and Discussion & Comments section. Once it would be accepted finally, the whole entry would be published in the Encyclopedia journal with an official DOI.
All contents published in Encyclopedia are labeled as Open-Access and licensed using a Creative Commons Attribution (CC-BY 4.0) license. This means that all contents can be copied and redistributed in any medium or format provided the original source is correctly cited.
All the contents, figures, tables, or important data sources should be properly quoted and cited. Where necessary, contributors are required to provide permission files when they upload images, photos, voice or video files, etc. Material for which the copyright and licensing conditions do not allow inclusion in Encyclopedia must not be uploaded.
Encyclopedia platform is fully subsidized by MDPI and is completely free for contributors and readers. Certain well-prepared entries will be granted a discount voucher for paper publication in any journals in MDPI.