- Please check and comment entries here.
Environmental Applications of Chitin
Chitin’s environmentally friendly nature has been well documented, further allowing scientists to develop novel techniques utilizing chitin in the environmental sector. Chitin has a very high surface area due to the size of the biopolymer, which is applicable as a pollutant absorber and is used for other modifications that can be made into nanocomposites, best suited for environmental applications for soil and water pollutants.
1. Dye Removal
2. Remediation of Inorganic Contaminants
3. Remediation of Organic Contaminants
- Xu, R.; Mao, J.; Peng, N.; Luo, X.; Chang, C. Chitin/clay microspheres with hierarchical architecture for highly efficient removal of organic dyes. Carbohydr. Polym. 2018, 188, 143–150.
- Cao, Y.-L.; Pan, Z.-H.; Shi, Q.-X.; Yu, J.-Y. Modification of chitin with high adsorption capacity for methylene blue removal. Int. J. Biol. Macromol. 2018, 114, 392–399.
- Schirmer, R.H.; Adler, H.; Pickhardt, M.; Mandelkow, E. Lest we forget you—Methylene blue. Neurobiol. Aging 2011, 32, 2325.e7–2325.e16.
- Druzian, S.P.; Zanatta, N.P.; Côrtes, L.N.; Streit, A.F.M.; Dotto, G.L. Preparation of chitin nanowhiskers and its application for crystal violet dye removal from wastewaters. Environ. Sci. Pollut. Res. 2019, 26, 28548–28557.
- Meshkat, S.S.; Nezhad, M.N.; Bazmi, M.R. Investigation of Carmine Dye Removal by Green Chitin Nanowhiskers Adsorbent. Emerg. Sci. J. 2019, 3, 187–194.
- González, J.A.; Villanueva, M.E.; Piehl, L.L.; Copello, G. Development of a chitin/graphene oxide hybrid composite for the removal of pollutant dyes: Adsorption and desorption study. Chem. Eng. J. 2015, 280, 41–48.
- Ma, Z.; Liu, D.; Zhu, Y.; Li, Z.; Li, Z.; Tian, H.; Liu, H. Graphene oxide/chitin nanofibril composite foams as column adsorbents for aqueous pollutants. Carbohydr. Polym. 2016, 144, 230–237.
- Nasrollahzadeh, M.; Sajjadi, M.; Iravani, S.; Varma, R.S. Starch, cellulose, pectin, gum, alginate, chitin and chitosan derived (nano)materials for sustainable water treatment: A review. Carbohydr. Polym. 2021, 251, 116986.
- Boulaiche, W.; Hamdi, B.; Trari, M. Removal of heavy metals by chitin: Equilibrium, kinetic and thermodynamic studies. Appl. Water Sci. 2019, 9, 39.
- Saravanan, D.; Gomathi, T.; Sudha, P. Sorption studies on heavy metal removal using chitin/bentonite biocomposite. Int. J. Biol. Macromol. 2013, 53, 67–71.
- Nithya, R.; Sudha, P.N. Removal of heavy metals from tannery effluent using chitosan-g-poly(butyl acrylate)/bentonite nanocomposite as an adsorbent. Text. Cloth. Sustain. 2017, 2, 1.
- Saxena, R.; Saxena, M.; Lochab, A. Recent Progress in Nanomaterials for Adsorptive Removal of Organic Contaminants from Wastewater. ChemistrySelect 2020, 5, 335–353.
- Żółtowska-Aksamitowska, S.; Bartczak, P.; Zembrzuska, J.; Jesionowski, T. Removal of hazardous non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs from aqueous solutions by biosorbent based on chitin and lignin. Sci. Total. Environ. 2018, 612, 1223–1233.
- Gwenzi, W.; Chaukura, N. Organic contaminants in African aquatic systems: Current knowledge, health risks, and future research directions. Sci. Total. Environ. 2018, 619–620, 1493–1514.