- Please check and comment entries here.
Freshness Monitoring of Packaged Vegetables
Smart packaging is an emerging technology that has a great potential in solving conventional food packaging problems and in meeting the evolving packaged vegetables market needs. The advantages of using such a system lies in extending the shelf life of products, ensuring the safety and the compliance of these packages while reducing the food waste; hence, lessening the negative environmental impacts. Many new concepts were developed to serve this purpose, especially in the meat and fish industry with less focus on fruits and vegetables.
The entry is from 10.3390/app10217937
- Han, J.; Ruiz-Garcia, L.; Qian, J.; Yang, X. Food packaging: A comprehensive review and future trends. Compr. Rev. Food Sci. Food Saf. 2018, 17, 860–877.
- Food Waste in Canada. Available online: https://lovefoodhatewaste.ca/about/food-waste/ (accessed on 21 March 2020).
- The State of Food and Agriculture. Available online: http://www.fao.org/3/ca6030en/ca6030en.pdf (accessed on 21 March 2020).
- Behravesh, C.B.; Jones, T.F.; Vugia, D.J.; Long, C.; Marcus, R.; Smith, K.; Thomas, S.; Zansky, S.; Fullerton, K.E.; Henao, O.L.; et al. FoodNet Working Group, Deaths Associated With Bacterial Pathogens Transmitted Commonly Through Food: Foodborne Diseases Active Surveillance Network (FoodNet), 1996–2005. J. Infect. Dis. 2011, 204, 263–267.
- Taking Stock: Reducing Food Loss and Waste in Canada. Available online: https://www.canada.ca/en/environment-climate-change/services/managing-reducing-waste/food-loss-waste/taking-stock.html#toc4 (accessed on 21 March 2020).
- Plimmer, J. Augmenting and securing the consumer brand experience through smart and intelligent packaging for food, beverages and other fast-moving consumer goods. In Trends in Packaging of Food, Beverages and Other Fast-Moving Consumer Goods Markets, Materials and Technologies, 1st ed.; Farmer, N., Ed.; Woodhead Publishing Series in Food Science; Technology and Nutrition: Philadelphia, PA, USA, 2013; pp. 35–57.
- Jin, H.; Qin, Y.; Pan, S.; Alam, A.U.; Dong, S.; Ghosh, R.; Deen, M.J. Open-Source Low-Cost Wireless Potentiometric Instrument for pH Determination Experiments. J. Chem. Educ. 2018, 95, 326–330.
- Alam, A.U.; Clyne, D.; Jin, H.; Hu, N.X.; Deen, M.J. Fully Integrated, Simple, and Low-Cost Electrochemical Sensor Array for in Situ Water Quality Monitoring. Acs Sens. 2020, 5, 412–422.
- Alam, A.U.; Howlader, M.M.; Hu, N.X.; Deen, M.J. Electrochemical sensing of lead in drinking water using β-cyclodextrin-modified MWCNTs. Sens. Actuat. B Chem. 2019, 296, 126632.
- Qin, Y.; Alam, A.U.; Pan, S.; Howlader, M.M.; Ghosh, R.; Hu, N.X.; Deen, M.J. Integrated water quality monitoring system with pH, free chlorine, and temperature sensors. Sens. Actuat. B Chem. 2018, 255, 781–790.
- Alam, A.U.; Qin, Y.; Howlader, M.M.; Hu, N.X.; Deen, M.J. Electrochemical sensing of acetaminophen using multi-walled carbon nanotube and β-cyclodextrin. Sens. Actuat. B Chem. 2018, 254, 896–909.
- Gallocchio, F.; Cibin, V.; Biancotto, G.; Roccato, A.; Muzzolon, O.; Carmen, L.; Simone, B.; Manodori, L.; Fabrizi, A.; Patuzzi, I. Testing nano-silver food packaging to evaluate silver migration and food spoilage bacteria on chicken meat. Food Addit. Contam. Part A 2016, 33, 1063–1071.
- Mohebi, E.; Marquez, L. Intelligent packaging in meat industry: An overview of existing solutions. J. Food Sci. Technol. 2015, 52, 3947–3964.
- Solomon, M.B.; Eastridge, J.S.; Paroczay, E.W.; Williams, J.L.; Shackell, G.H.; Dodds, K.G. Animal Biotechnology for the Enhancement of Meat Quality. In Meat Biotechnology, 1st ed; Tolrá, F., Ed.; Springer Science +Business Media LLC: New York, NY, USA, 2008; pp. 2–91.
- Holman, B.W.B.; Kerry, J.P.; Hopkins, D.L. A review of patents for the smart packaging of meat and muscle-based food products, Bentham science. Recent Patents Food Nutr. Agric. 2018, 9, 3–13.
- Beaudry, R.; Scully, A.D.; Horsham, M.A. MAP as a basis for active packaging. Active packaging for fruits and vegetables. In Intelligent and Active Packaging for Fruits and Vegetables, 1st ed.; Wilson, C.L., Ed.; CRC Press: Boca Raton, FL, USA, 2007; pp. 31–72.
- Beaudry, R.M. Effect of O2 and CO2 partial pressure on selected phenomena affecting fruit and vegetable quality. Postharvest Biol. Technol. 1999, 16, 293–303.
- Zhen-guo, L.; Yu, L.; Jian-guo, D.; Rong-jiang, X.; Mei-zhen, Z. Effect of low oxygen and high carbon dioxide on the levels of ethylene and 1-aminocyclopropane-1-carboxylic acid in ripening apple fruits. J. Plant Growth Regul. 1983, 2, 81–87.
- Shirazi, A.; Cameron, A.C. Controlling relative humidity in modified atmosphere packages of tomato fruit. Hortscience 1992, 27, 336–339.
- Pant, A.F.; Thielmann, J.; Kuswandi, B. Active Packaging of Fresh and Fresh-cut Fruit and Vegetables. Intelligent Packaging Applications for Fruits and Vegetables. In Innovative Packaging of Fruits and Vegetables: Strategies for Safety and Quality Maintenance, 1st ed.; Siddiqui, M.W., Rahman, M.S., Wani, A.A., Eds.; CRC Press: Boca Raton, FL, USA, 2007; pp. 49–104.
- Callejón, R.M.; Rodríguez-Naranjo, M.I.; Úbeda, C.; Hornedo-Ortega, R.; García, M.C.; Garcia-Parrilla, M.C.; Troncoso, A.M. Reported foodborne outbreaks due to fresh produce in the United States and european union: Trends and causes. Foodborne Pathog. Dis. 2015, 12, 32–38.
- Alam, A.U.; Deen, M.J. Bisphenol A Electrochemical Sensor Using Graphene Oxide and β-Cyclodextrin-Functionalized Multi-Walled Carbon Nanotubes. Anal. Chem. 2020, 92, 5532–5539.
- Yam, K.L.; Takhistov, P.T.; Miltz, J. Intelligent packaging: Concepts and applications. J. Food Sci. 2005, 70, R1–R10.