- Please check and comment entries here.
MicroRNA156 and microRNA529 in Land Plants
The sequences of miR156 and miR529 family members are highly similar, and both target SQUAMOSA promoter binding protein-like (SPL or SBP box) genes, which encode transcription factors that share a common SBP domain. Many studies have focused on the functions of the highly conserved miR156 family, whereas there have been relatively few studies of miR529 . miR156-SPL is a broadly investigated regulatory module in plants. By regulating SPL expression, miR156 is involved in regulating many biological processes, including flowering time, branching/tillering, and environmental stress responses. Considering the high degree of sequence similarity between miR529 and miR156, it would be interesting to determine whether miR529 functions independently, redundantly, or synergistically with respect to miR156.
2. The Distinction between miR529 and miR156
3. Comparative Analysis of the Origins and Continuity of miR156 and miR529 in Land Plants
4. miR156 and miR529 Exhibit Different Expression Patterns and Function Cooperatively or Independently by Regulating Common or Specific Targets
This entry is adapted from 10.3390/ijms222011100
- Wang, J.; Yu, H.; Xiong, G.; Lu, Z.; Jiao, Y.; Meng, X.; Liu, G.; Chen, X.; Wang, Y.; Li, J. Tissue-specific ubiquitination by IPA1 INTERACTING PROTEIN1 modulates IPA1 protein levels to regulate plant architecture in rice. Plant Cell 2017, 29, 697–707.
- Ling, L.Z.; Zhang, S.D. Exploring the evolutionary differences of SBP-box genes targeted by miR156 and miR529 in plants. Genetica 2012, 140, 317–324.
- Zhang, S.D.; Ling, L.Z.; Zhang, Q.F.; Xu, J.D.; Cheng, L. Evolutionary comparison of two combinatorial regulators of SBP-Box genes, miR156 and miR529, in plants. PLoS ONE 2015, 10, e0124621.
- Li, F.W.; Nishiyama, T.; Waller, M.; Frangedakis, E.; Keller, J.; Li, Z.; Fernandez-Pozo, N.; Barker, M.S.; Bennett, T.; Blázquez, M.A.; et al. Anthoceros genomes illuminate the origin of land plants and the unique biology of hornworts. Nat. Plants 2020, 6, 259–272.
- Zhang, J.; Fu, X.X.; Li, R.Q.; Zhao, X.; Liu, Y.; Li, M.H.; Zwaenepoel, A.; Ma, H.; Goffinet, B.; Guan, Y.L.; et al. The hornwort genome and early land plant evolution. Nat. Plants 2020, 6, 107–118.
- Cuperus, J.T.; Fahlgren, N.; Carrington, J.C. Evolution and functional diversification of MIRNA genes. Plant Cell 2011, 23, 432–442.
- Chorostecki, U.; Moro, B.; Rojas, A.M.L.; Debernardi, J.M.; Schapire, A.L.; Notredame, C.; Palatnik, J.F. Evolutionary footprints reveal insights into plant microRNA biogenesis. Plant Cell 2017, 29, 1248.
- Morea, E.G.O.; da Silva, E.M.; Silva, G.F.F.E.; Valente, G.T.; Rojas, C.H.B.; Vincentz, M.; Nogueira, F.T.S. Functional and evolutionary analyses of the miR156 and miR529 families in land plants. BMC Plant Biol. 2016, 16, 40.
- Sunkar, R.; Girke, T.; Jain, P.K.; Zhu, J.K. Cloning and characterization of microRNAs from rice. Plant Cell 2005, 17, 1397–1411.
- Allen, E.; Xie, Z.; Gustafson, A.M.; Sung, G.H.; Spatafora, J.W.; Carrington, J.C. Evolution of microRNA genes by inverted duplication of target gene sequences in Arabidopsis thaliana. Nat. Genet. 2004, 36, 1282–1290.
- Bustamante, A.; Marques, M.C.; Sanz-Carbonell, A.S.; Mulet, J.M.; Gomez, G. Alternative processing of its precursor is related to miR319 decreasing in melon plants exposed to cold. Sci. Rep. 2018, 8, 15538.
- Krom, N.; Ramakrishna, W. Comparative analysis of divergent and convergent gene pairs and their expression patterns in rice, Arabidopsis, and Populus. Plant Physiol. 2008, 147, 1763–1773.
- Liu, B.; Li, P.C.; Li, X.; Liu, C.Y.; Cao, S.Y.; Chu, C.C.; Cao, X.F. Loss of function of OsDCL1 affects microRNA accumulation and causes developmental defects in rice. Plant Physiol. 2005, 139, 296–305.
- Axtell, M.J.; Snyder, J.A.; Bartell, D.P. Common functions for diverse small RNAs of land plants. Plant Cell 2007, 19, 1750–1769.
- Zhang, L.; Zheng, Y.; Jagadeeswaran, G.; Li, Y.F.; Gowdu, K.; Sunkar, R. Identification and temporal expression analysis of conserved and novel microRNAs in Sorghum. Genom. 2011, 98, 460–468.
- Tsuzuki, M.; Nishihama, R.; Ishizaki, K.; Kurihara, Y.; Matsui, M.; Bowman, J.L.; Kohchi, T.; Hamada, T.; Watanabe, Y. Profiling and characterization of small RNAs in the liverwort, Marchantia polymorpha, belonging to the first diverged land plants. Plant Cell Physiol. 2016, 57, 359–372.
- Sun, M.; Shen, Y.; Li, H.; Yang, J.; Cai, X.; Zheng, G.; Zhu, Y.; Jia, B.; Sun, X. The multiple roles of OsmiR535 in modulating plant height, panicle branching and grain shape. Plant Sci. 2019, 283, 60–69.
- Jeong, D.H.; Park, S.; Zhai, J.; Gurazada, S.; Paoli, E.; Meyers, B.C.; Green, P.J. Massive analysis of rice small RNAs: Mechanistic implications of regulated microRNAs and variants for differential target RNA cleavage. Plant Cell 2011, 23, 4185–4207.
- Shen, B.; Althoff, F.; Su, G.; Lee, G.; Takenaka, M.; Hong, S.; Lu, C.; Lin, P.; Lin, S.; Zachgo, S.; et al. Identification of miRNAs and their targets in the liverwort Marchantia polymorpha by integrating RNA-Seq and degradome analyses. Plant Cell Physiol. 2016, 57, 339–358.