- Please check and comment entries here.
Integrated Seismic and Energy Interventions
Following the 2016 central Italy earthquakes, the high seismic vulnerability of existing buildings is once again at the center of the debate. Indeed, the majority of the Italian building stock (around 60%) was built before adopting the first seismic provisions (1974) and in a territory entirely characterized by medium to high levels of seismic hazard. On the other hand, the first provisions addressing thermal performance criteria were introduced in 1976 but with limited impact. A consistent reduction in energy consumption was further achieved in 1991, when even more buildings were erected. As a consequence, the Italian building stock is characterized by reduced seismic capacity and poor energy efficiency and, to optimize the available resources, combined retrofit interventions approaches are required. In this context, a synergic strategy for the seismic and energy retrofit of a unreinforced masonry (URM) building was proposed. The former Courthouse in Fabriano (Ancona, Marche), a strategic, three-story, unreinforced masonry building in the network of permanent monitoring systems of the Italian Department of Civil Protection, was selected as a case study.
2. The Case Study: The Former Courthouse in Fabriano
2.1. Structural Elements
M1: it is the most common. It is characterized by regularly cut stone with a thickness between 50 and 110 cm.
M2: it is characterized by solid bricks with a thickness between 25 and 45 cm. It can be found in the attic floor and some internal walls at the lowest levels.
M3: it is the masonry type of the external walls of the ground and first floor. It consists of two coupled leaves: the inner one is made of regularly cut stone, while the external one is made of facing bricks.
S1–2: it is the floor of the ground and the first levels. It is made of steel beams with a span of 80 cm and hollow tile vaults.
S3: it is the floor of the second levels. It is a hollow brick and concrete floor without reinforced concrete slab.
S4: it is the floor of the attic floor. It is made of Ω steel beams with a span of 145 cm and a wooden plank 3.5-cm thick.
2.2. Energy Components
This entry is adapted from 10.3390/su13179592
- Sorrentino, L.; Cattari, S.; Da Porto, F.; Magenes, G.; Penna, A. Seismic behaviour of ordinary masonry buildings during the 2016 central Italy earthquakes. Bull. Earthq. Eng. 2019, 17, 5583–5607.
- Lorenzoni, F.; Calabria, A.; De Conto, N.; da Porto, F. Assessment of the dynamic response of monitored masonry buildings after the central Italy earthquake swarm in 2016. In Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Computational Methods in Structural Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering Methods in Structural Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, Crete, Greece, 24–26 June 2019; pp. 24–26.
- Sisti, R.; Di Ludovico, M.; Borri, A.; Prota, A. Damage assessment and the effectiveness of prevention: The response of ordinary unreinforced masonry buildings in Norcia during the Central Italy 2016–2017 seismic sequence. Bull. Earthq. Eng. 2019, 17, 5609–5629.
- Penna, A.; Morandi, P.; Rota, M.; Manzini, C.F.; Da Porto, F.; Magenes, G. Performance of masonry buildings during the Emilia 2012 earthquake. Bull. Earthq. Eng. 2014, 12, 2255–2273.
- Marco, A.; De Falco, A.; Giresini, L.; Sassu, M. Structural damage in the cities of Reggiolo and Carpi after the earthquake on May 2012 in Emilia Romagna. Bull. Earthq. Eng. 2014, 12, 2445–2480.
- Modena, C.; Casarin, F.; da Porto, F.; Munari, M. L’Aquila 6th April 2009 Earthquake: Emergency and Post-emergency Activities on Cultural Heritage Buildings. In Earthquake Engineering in Europe; Garevski, M., Ansal, A., Eds.; Springer: Dordrecht, The Netherlands, 2010; pp. 495–521.
- D’Ayala, D.F.; Paganoni, S. Assessment and analysis of damage in L’Aquila historic city centre after 6th April 2009. Bull. Earthq. Eng. 2011, 9, 81–104.
- Maffei, J.; Bazzurro, P. The 2002 Molise, Italy, Earthquake. Earthq. Spectra 2004, 20, 1–22.
- Goretti, A.; Di Pasquale, G. Building Inspection and Damage Data for the 2002 Molise, Italy, Earthquake. Earthq. Spectra 2004, 20, 167–190.
- Decanini, L.; De Sortis, A.; Goretti, A.; Langenbach, R.; Mollaioli, F.; Rasulo, A. Performance of Masonry Buildings during the 2002 Molise, Italy, Earthquake. Earthq. Spectra 2004, 20, 191–220.
- Dolce, M.; Masi, A.; Goretti, A. Damage to buildings due to 1997 Umbria-Marche earthquake. In Seismic Damage to Masonry Buildings, 1st ed.; Springer: Cham, Switzerland, 2018; pp. 71–80.
- Spence, R.; D’Ayala, D. Damage Assessment and Analysis of the 1997 Umbria-Marche Earthquakes. Struct. Eng. Int. 1999, 9, 229–233.
- Dolce, M.; Prota, A.; Borzi, B.; da Porto, F.; Lagomarsino, S.; Magenes, G.; Moroni, C.; Moroni, C.; Penna, A.; Polese, M.; et al. Seismic risk assessment of residential buildings in Italy. Bull. Earthq. Eng. 2021, 19, 2999–3032.
- da Porto, F.; Donà, M.; Rosti, A.; Rota, M.; Lagomarsino, S.; Cattari, S.; Borzi, B.; Onida, M.; de Gregorio, D.; Speranza, E.; et al. Comparative analysis of the fragility curves for Italian residential masonry and RC buildings. Bull. Earthq. Eng. 2021, 19, 3209–3252.
- Calvi, G.M. Choices and Criteria for Seismic Strengthening. J. Earthq. Eng. 2013, 17, 769–802.
- Thermou, G.E.; Pantazopoulou, S.J.; Elnashai, A.S. Design Methodology for Seismic Upgrading of Substandard Reinforced Concrete Structures. J. Earthq. Eng. 2007, 11, 582–606.
- Caterino, N.; Iervolino, I.; Manfredi, G.; Cosenza, E. Multi-Criteria Decision Making for Seismic Retrofitting of RC Structures. J. Earthq. Eng. 2008, 12, 555–583.
- da Porto, F.; Valluzzi, M.R.; Munari, M.; Modena, C.; Arêde, A.; Costa, A.A. Strengthening of stone and brick masonry buildings. In Strengthening and Retrofitting of Existing Structures; Springer: Berlin/Heidelberg, Germany, 2018; pp. 59–84.
- Babatunde, S.A. Review of strengthening techniques for masonry using fiber reinforced polymers. Compos. Struct. 2017, 161, 246–255.
- Corradi, M.; Di Schino, A.; Borri, A.; Rufini, R. A review of the use of stainless steel for masonry repair and reinforcement. Constr. Build. Mater. 2018, 181, 335–346.
- Corrado, V.; Ballarini, I. Refurbishment trends of the residential building stock: Analysis of a regional pilot case in Italy. Energy Build. 2016, 132, 91–106.
- Salvalai, G.; Sesana, M.M.; Iannaccone, G. Deep renovation of multi-storey multi-owner existing residential buildings: A pilot case study in Italy. Energy Build. 2017, 148, 23–36.
- Ma, Z.; Cooper, P.; Daly, D.; Ledo, L. Existing building retrofits: Methodology and state-of-the-art. Cool Roofs Cool Pavements Cool Cities Cool World 2012, 55, 889–902.
- Carnieletto, L.; Emmi, G.; Artuzzi, M.; Piazza, M.C.; Zarrella, A.; De Carli, M. Retrofit solutions for an historic building integrated with geothermal heat pumps. In E3S Web of Conferences; EDP Sciences: Ulis, France, 2019; Volume 111, p. 03055.
- Akkurt, G.G.; Aste, N.; Borderon, J.; Buda, A.; Calzolari, M.; Chung, D.; Costanzo, V.; del Pero, C.; Evola, G.; Huerto-Cardenas, H.E.; et al. Dynamic thermal and hygrometric simulation of historical buildings: Critical factors and possible solutions. Renew. Sustain. Energy Rev. 2020, 118, 109509.
- Huerto-Cardenas, H.E.; Leonforte, F.; Aste, N.; Del Pero, C.; Evola, G.; Costanzo, V.; Lucchi, E. Validation of dynamic hygrothermal simulation models for historical buildings: State of the art, research challenges and recommendations. Build. Environ. 2020, 180, 107081.
- La Greca, P.; Margani, G. Seismic and Energy Renovation Measures for Sustainable Cities: A Critical Analysis of the Italian Scenario. Sustainability 2018, 10, 254.
- Manfredi, V.; Masi, A. Seismic Strengthening and Energy Efficiency: Towards an Integrated Approach for the Rehabilitation of Existing RC Buildings. Buildings 2018, 8, 36.
- Pertile, V.; De Stefani, L.; Scotta, R. Development and characterization of a system for the seismic and energy retrofit of existing buildings. In Proceedings of the Xiv International Conference On Building Pathology And Constructions Repair, Florence, Italy, 20–22 June 2018.
- Labò, S.; Passoni, C.; Marini, A.; Belleri, A.; Camata, G.; Riva, P.; Spacone, E. Diagrid Solutions for a Sustainable Seismic, Energy, and Architectural Upgrade of European RC Buildings. In Proceedings of the XII International Conference on Structural Repair and Rehabilitation, Porto, Portugal, 26–29 October 2016.
- Marini, A.; Belleri, A.; Feroldi, F.; Passoni, C.; Preti, M.; Riva, P.; Giuriani, E.; Plizzari, G. Coupling energy refurbishment with structural strengthening in retrofit interventions. In SAFESUST Workshop; SAFESUST: Ispra, Italy, 2015.
- Marini, A.; Passoni, C.; Belleri, A.; Feroldi, F.; Preti, M.; Metelli, G.; Riva, P.; Giuriani, E.; Plizzari, G. Combining seismic retrofit with energy refurbishment for the sustainable renovation of RC buildings: A proof of concept. Eur. J. Environ. Civ. Eng. 2017, 1–20.
- Bournas, D.A. Concurrent seismic and energy retrofitting of RC and masonry building envelopes using inorganic textile-based composites combined with insulation materials: A new concept. Compos. Eng. 2018, 148, 166–179.
- Pohoryles, D.A.; Bournas, D.A. Seismic retrofit of infilled RC frames with textile reinforced mortars: State-of-the-art review and analytical modelling. Compos. Eng. 2020, 183, 107702.
- Pohoryles, D.A.; Maduta, C.; Bournas, D.A.; Kouris, L.A. Energy performance of existing residential buildings in Europe: A novel approach combining energy with seismic retrofitting. Energy Build. 2020, 223, 110024.
- Gkournelos, P.D.; Bournas, D.A.; Triantafillou, T.C. Combined Seismic and Energy Upgrading of Existing Reinforced Concrete Buildings Using TRM Jacketing and Thermal Insulation. Earthq. Struct. 2019, 16, 625–639.
- Da Porto, F.; Verlato, N.; Guidi, G.; Modena, C. The INSYSME project: Innovative construction systems for earthquake resistant masonry infill walls. In Proceedings of the 16th International Brick and Block Masonry Conference, Padova, Italy, 26–30 June 2016; CRC Press: Boca Raton, FL, USA, 2016.
- Verlato, N.; Guidi, G.; da Porto, F.; Modena, C. Innovative systems for masonry infill walls based on the use of deformable joints: Combined in-plane/out-of-plane tests. In Proceedings of the 16th International Brick and Block Masonry Conference, Padova, Italy, 26–30 June 2016; CRC Press: Boca Raton, FL, USA, 2016.
- Morandi, P.; Milanesi, R.R.; Magenes, G. Innovative solution for seismic-resistant masonry infills with sliding joints: In-plane experimental performance. Eng. Struct. 2018, 176, 719–733.
- Borri, A.; Corradi, M.; Sisti, R.; Buratti, C.; Belloni, E.; Moretti, E. Masonry wall panels retrofitted with thermal-insulating GFRP-reinforced jacketing. Mater. Struct. 2016, 49, 3957–3968.
- Giaretton, M.; Dizhur, D.; Garbin, E.; Ingham, J.M.; da Porto, F. In-Plane Strengthening of Clay Brick and Block Masonry Walls Using Textile-Reinforced Mortar. J. Compos. Constr. 2018, 22, 04018028.
- Longo, F.; Cascardi, A.; Lassandro, P.; Sannino, A.; Aiello, M.A. Mechanical and Thermal Characterization of FRCM-Matrices. Key Eng. Mater. 2019, 817, 189–194.
- Triantafillou, T.C.; Karlos, K.; Kapsalis, P.; Georgiou, L. Innovative Structural and Energy Retrofitting System for Masonry Walls Using Textile Reinforced Mortars Combined with Thermal Insulation: In-Plane Mechanical Behavior. J. Compos. Constr. 2018, 22, 04018029.
- Triantafillou, T.C.; Karlos, K.; Kefalou, K.; Argyropoulou, E. An innovative structural and energy retrofitting system for URM walls using textile reinforced mortars combined with thermal insulation: Mechanical and fire behavior. Constr. Build. Mater. 2017, 133, 1–13.
- Valluzzi, M.R.; Saler, E.; Vignato, A.; Salvalaggio, M.; Croatto, G.; Dorigatti, G.; Turrini, U. Nested Buildings: An Innovative Strategy for the Integrated Seismic and Energy Retrofit of Existing Masonry Buildings with CLT Panels. Sustainability 2021, 13, 1188.
- Stazi, F.; Serpilli, M.; Maracchini, G.; Pavone, A. An experimental and numerical study on CLT panels used as infill shear walls for RC buildings retrofit. Constr. Build. Mater. 2019, 211, 605–616.
- Margani, G.; Evola, G.; Tardo, C.; Marino, E.M. Energy, Seismic, and Architectural Renovation of RC Framed Buildings with Prefabricated Timber Panels. Sustainability 2020, 12, 4845.
- Giongo, I.; Rizzi, E.; Riccadonna, D.; Piazza, M. On-site testing of masonry shear walls strengthened with timber panels. Proc. Inst. Civ. Eng. Struct. Build. 2021, 174, 389–402.
- Dalla Mora, T.; Righi, A.; Peron, F.; Romagnoni, P. Functional, Energy and Seismic Retrofitting in Existing Building: An Innovative System Based on xlam Technology. Energy Procedia 2015, 82, 486–492.
- Italian Parliament Law 205/2017. Bilancio di Previsione dello Stato per l’anno Finanziario 2018 e Bilancio Pluriennale per il Triennio 2018–2020; Gazzetta Ufficiale: Rome, Italy, 2017.
- Ministerial Decree n.58, Sisma Bonus: Linee Guida per la Classificazione del Rischio Sismico Delle Costruzioni Nonché le Modalità per l’attestazione, da parte di Professionisti Abilitati, dell’efficacia Degli Interventi Effettuati. Available online: https://mit.gov.it/comunicazione/news/sismabonus-edilizia-residenziale-pubblica-ristrutturazione/sisma-bonus-linee (accessed on 26 July 2021).
- Ministerial Decree n.65, Sisma Bonus—Linee Guida per la Classificazione del Rischio Sismico Delle Costruzioni e i Relativi allegati. Modifiche all’articolo 3 Del Decreto Ministeriale Numero 58 Del 28/02/2017. Available online: https://www.mit.gov.it/normativa/decreto-ministeriale-numero-65-del-07032017 (accessed on 26 July 2021).
- Ministerial Decree n.24, Sisma Bonus—Linee Guida per la Classificazione del Rischio Sismico delle Costruzioni Nonché le modalità per l’attestazione, da parte di Professionisti Abilitati, dell’efficacia degli Interventi Effettuati. Modifiche al DM 58 del 28/02/2017. Available online: http://www.mit.gov.it/normativa/decreto-ministeriale-numero-24-del-09012020 (accessed on 26 July 2021).
- Misure Urgenti in Materia di Salute, Sostegno al Lavoro e all’economia, Nonche’ di Politiche Sociali Connesse all’emergenza Epidemiologica da COVID-19. Modifiche al DM 128 del 19/05/2020. 2020. Available online: https://www.gazzettaufficiale.it/eli/id/2020/05/19/20G00052/sg (accessed on 26 July 2021).
- Calvi, G.M.; Sousa, L.; Ruggeri, C. Energy Efficiency and Seismic Resilience: A Common Approach. In Multi-hazard Approaches to Civil Infrastructure Engineering; Gardoni, P., LaFave, J., Eds.; Springer: Cham, Germany, 2016; pp. 165–208.
- Donà, M.; Bizzaro, L.; Carturan, F.; da Porto, F. Effects of Business Recovery Strategies on Seismic Risk and Cost-Effectiveness of Structural Retrofitting for Business Enterprises. Earthq. Spectra 2019, 35, 1795–1819.
- Mastroberti, M.; Bournas, D.; Vona, M.; Manganelli, B.; Palermo, V. Combined seismic plus energy retrofitting for existing RC buildings: Economic feasibility. In Proceedings of the 16 European Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Thessaloniki, Greece, 18–21 June 2018.
- dei Trasporti, M.D.I. NTC2018 Aggiornamento Delle Norme Tecniche per le Costruzioni; Official Gazette of the Italian Republic: Rome, Italy, 2018.
- Ministero delle Infrastrutture e dei Trasporti Circolare 21 Gennaio 2019 no.7. Istruzioni per l’applicazione dell’Aggiornamento delle “Norme Tecniche Per le Costruzioni” di cui al Decreto Ministeriale 17 Gennaio 2018. Modifiche al DM 35 del 11/02/2019. 2019. Available online: https://www.gazzettaufficiale.it/eli/id/2019/02/11/19A00855/sg (accessed on 26 July 2021).
- IEE Project TABULA. Consultato 26 luglio 2021. Available online: https://episcope.eu/iee-project/tabula/ (accessed on 26 July 2021).
- International Standard Organisation—ISO. ISO 18523-1:2016 Energy Performance of Buildings—Schedule and Condition of Building, Zone and Space Usage for Energy Calculation; ISO: Geneva, Switzerland, 2016.