- Please check and comment entries here.
Dried Blood Spot in Toxicology
Dried Blood Spot (DBS) is becoming very popular in various medical fields, especially in toxicology. Nowadays, it is commonly used in newborn screening for inherited or congenital diseases. DBS does not require trained medical staff to collect the samples and can be effortlessly transported to the laboratory, which makes it an easy and quick procedure. A venous blood spot, collected from a finger or a heel, is put on the special paper card, which can result in a different distribution of blood and concentration of detecting substances. DBS enables drugs analysis, detecting substances of abuse as well as trace elements. It also serves its purpose in newborn screening and testing in SARS-CoV-2 serology. DBS is certain to develop rapidly and become even more worldwide used.
3. Drugs Analysis
4. Advantages of DBS
5. Disadvantages of DBS
6. Future Perspectives
The entry is from 10.3390/separations8090145
- Sadones, N.; Capiau, S.; de Kesel, P.M.M.; Lambert, W.E.; Stove, C.P. Spot Them in the Spot: Analysis of Abused Substances Using Dried Blood Spots. Bioanalysis 2014, 6, 2211–2227.
- Lim, M.D. Dried Blood Spots for Global Health Diagnostics and Surveillance: Opportunities and Challenges. Am. J. Trop. Med. Hyg. 2018, 99, 256.
- Gupta, K.; Mahajan, R. Applications and Diagnostic Potential of Dried Blood Spots. Int. J. Appl. Basic Med. Res. 2018, 8, 1.
- Malsagova, K.; Kopylov, A.; Stepanov, A.; Butkova, T.; Izotov, A.; Kaysheva, A. Dried Blood Spot in Laboratory: Directions and Prospects. Diagnostics 2020, 10, 248.
- Stove, C.P.; Ingels, A.S.M.E.; de Kesel, P.M.M.; Lambert, W.E. Dried Blood Spots in Toxicology: From the Cradle to the Grave? Crit. Rev. Toxicol. 2012, 42, 230–243.
- Dilo, A.; Daali, Y.; Desmeules, J.; Chalandon, Y.; Uppugunduri, C.R.S.; Ansari, M. Comparing Dried Blood Spots and Plasma Concentrations for Busulfan Therapeutic Drug Monitoring in Children. Ther. Drug Monit. 2020, 42, 111–117.
- Hahn, R.Z.; Antunes, M.V.; Costa Arnhold, P.; Andriguetti, N.B.; Verza, S.G.; Linden, R. Determination of Topiramate in Dried Blood Spots Using Single-Quadrupole Gas Chromatography–Mass Spectrometry after Flash Methylation with Trimethylanilinium Hydroxide. J. Chromatogr. B Anal. Technol. Biomed. Life Sci. 2017, 1046, 131–137.
- Duthaler, U.; Berger, B.; Erb, S.; Battegay, M.; Letang, E.; Gaugler, S.; Natamatungiro, A.; Mnzava, D.; Donzelli, M.; Krähenbühl, S.; et al. Using Dried Blood Spots to Facilitate Therapeutic Drug Monitoring of Antiretroviral Drugs in Resource-Poor Regions. J. Antimicrob. Chemother. 2018, 73, 2729–2737.
- Chace, D.H.; Lappas, N.T. The Use of Dried Blood Spots and Stains in Forensic Science. Dried Blood Spots Appl. Tech. 2014, 140–150.
- Watterson, J. Analysis of Dried Blood Spots in Forensic Toxicology. New Sampl. Strateg. Toxicol. Ther. Drug Monit. 2015, 80–92.
- Velghe, S.; de Troyer, R.; Stove, C. Dried Blood Spots in Therapeutic Drug Monitoring and Toxicology. Expert Opin. Drug Metab. Toxicol. 2017, 14, 1–3.
- Wilhelm, A.J.; den Burger, J.C.G.; Swart, E.L. Therapeutic Drug Monitoring by Dried Blood Spot: Progress to Date and Future Directions. Clin. Pharmacokinet. 2014, 53, 961.
- Cizdziel, J.V. Determination of Lead in Blood by Laser Ablation ICP-TOF-MS Analysis of Blood Spotted and Dried on Filter Paper: A Feasibility Study. Anal. Bioanal. Chem. 2007, 388, 603–611.
- Dried Blood Spots: Applications and Techniques—Google Books. Available online: https://books.google.pl/books?id=djaiAwAAQBAJ&pg=PT373&lpg=PT373&dq=There+is+a+need+for+extensive+testing+of+postmortem+samples+including+hemolyzed+and+putrefied+samples+since+the+detection+of+drugs+in+DBS+prepared+with&source=bl&ots=6Jm1IY0BZK&sig=ACfU3U3md-5-raQ6gXNnfih1G8tZurT5_g&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjfmoqG_9XxAhWUAxAIHTQmAAUQ6AEwAHoECAIQAw#v=onepage&q=There%20is%20a%20need%20for%20extensive%20testing%20of%20postmortem%20samples%20including%20hemolyzed%20and%20putrefied%20samples%20since%20the%20detection%20of%20drugs%20in%20DBS%20prepared%20with&f=false (accessed on 9 July 2021).
- Sharma, A.; Jaiswal, S.; Shukla, M.; Lal, J. Dried Blood Spots: Concepts, Present Status, and Future Perspectives in Bioanalysis. Drug Test. Anal. 2014, 6, 399–414.
- Henion, J.; Oliveira, R.V.; Li, F.; Foley, T.P.; Pomponio, R.J. Dried Blood Spots: The Future. Microsampling Pharm. Bioanal. 2013, 48–66.