- Please check and comment entries here.
Leader—Member Exchange (LMX) Theory
The LMX theory was first described as “Vertical Dyad Linkage” (VDL). Graen and Uhl-Bien (1995) argued that the LMX theory consists of four stages, wherein each stage is related to and builds upon the previous stages. Leader–member exchange (LMX) theorists argue that leaders in the organization should give more responsibility to their followers, delegate powers, support the sharing of work-related knowledge, and allow participation in decision-making processes. LMX theory is a psychological process variable and plays an intermediary role between transformational leadership and knowledge management.
1. Leader—Member Exchange (LMX) Theory
2. Transformational Leadership
3. Knowledge Management System
4. Organizational Performance
5. Organizational Learning
6. Knowledge Creation Process
7. Job Satisfaction
The entry is from 10.3390/su13147981
- Dansereau, J.F.; Graen, G.; Haga, W.J. A vertical dyad linkage approach to leadership within formal organizations: A longitudinal investigation of the role making process. Organ. Behav. Hum. Perform. 1975, 13, 46–78.
- Graen, G.B.; Uhl-Bien, M. Relationship-based approach to leadership: Development of leader-member exchange (LMX) theory of leadership over 25 years: Applying a multi-level multi-domain perspective. Leadersh. Q. 1995, 6, 219–247.
- Scandura, T.A.; Graen, G.B. Moderating effects of initial leader–member exchange status on the effects of a leadership intervention. J. Appl. Psychol. 1984, 69, 428.
- Herman, H.M.; Mitchell, R.J. A theoretical model of transformational leadership and knowledge creation: The role of open-mindedness norms and leader-member exchange. J. Manag. Organ. 2010, 16, 83.
- Basu, R.; Green, S.G. Leader-Member Exchange and Transformational Leadership: An Empirical Examination of Innovative Behaviors in Leader-Member Dyads. J. Appl. Soc. Psychol. 1997, 27, 477–499.
- Deluga, R.J. The relationship of leader-member exchange with laissez-faire, transactional, and transformational leadership in naval environments. Impact Leadersh. 1992, 1992, 237–247.
- Howell, J.M.; Hall-Merenda, K.E. The ties that bind: The impact of leader-member exchange, transformational leadership and transactional leadership, and distance on predicting follower performance. J. Appl. Psychol. 1999, 84, 680–694.
- Wang, H.; Law, K.S.; Hackett, R.D.; Wang, D.; Chen, Z.X. Leader-member exchange as a mediator of the relationship between transformational leadership and followers’ performance and organizational citizenship behavior. Acad. Manag. J. 2005, 48, 420–432.
- Burch, T.C.; Guarana, C. The Comparative Influences of Transformational Leadership and Leader-Member Exchange on Follower Engagement. J. Leadersh. Stud. 2014, 8, 6–25.
- Graen, G.B.; Scandura, T.A. Toward a psychology of dyadic organizing. Res. Organ. Behav. 1987, 9, 175–208.
- Araslı, H.; Arıcı, H.E. The art of retaining seasonal employees: Three industry-specific leadership styles. Serv. Ind. J. 2019, 39, 175–205.
- Bass, B.M.; Avolio, B.J. (Eds.) Improving Organizational Effectiveness through Transformational Leadership; SAGE: Thousand Oaks, CA, USA, 1994.
- Bayighomog, S.W.; Araslı, H. Workplace spirituality–customer engagement Nexus: The mediated role of spiritual leadership on customer–oriented boundary–spanning behaviors. Serv. Ind. J. 2019, 39, 637–661.
- Bass, B.M. Two Decades of Research and Development in Transformational Leadership. Eur. J. Work. Organ. Psychol. 1999, 8, 9–32.
- Bass, B.M.; Avolio, B.J. MLQ, Multifactor Leadership Questionnaire Sampler Set: Technical Report, Leader Form, Rater Form, and Scoring Key for MLQ Form 5x-Short; Mind Garden: Redwood City, CA, USA, 2000.
- Nonaka, I.; Takeuchi, H. The Knowledge Creating Company: How Japanese Companies Create the Dynamics of Innovation; Oxford University Press: Oxford, UK, 1995.
- Senge, P.; Roberts, C.; Ross, R.; Smith, B.; Kleiner, A. The Fifth Discipline Fieldbook; Doubleday: New York, NY, USA, 1994.
- Bollinger, A.S.; Smith, R.D. Managing organizational knowledge as a strategic asset. J. Knowl. Manag. 2001, 5, 8–18.
- Dvir, T.; Eden, D.; Avolio, B.J.; Shamir, B. Impact of transformational leadership on follower development and performance: A field experiment. Acad. Manag. J. 2002, 45, 735–744.
- Margulies, N.; Yukl, G.A. Leadership in Organizations. Acad. Manag. Rev. 1982, 7.
- Avolio, B.J. Full Leadership Development: Building the Vital Forces in Organizations; SAGE Publications: Thousand Oaks, CA, USA, 1999.
- Bass, B.M. Transformational Leadership: Industrial; Military, and Educational Impact: Mahwah, NJ, USA, 1998.
- Picot, A.; Reichwald, R.; Wigand, R.T. Die grenzenlose Unternehmung: Information, Organisation und Management. In Lehrbuch zur Unternehmensführung im Informationszeitalter; Springer: Berlin/Heidelberg, Germany, 2013.
- Macharzina, K.; Wolf, J. Unternehmensführung: Das Internationale Managementwissen; Konzepte Methoden Praxis; Springer: Berlin/Heidelberg, Germany, 2008.
- Nonaka, I.; Toyama, R. The Knowledge-creating Theory Revisited: Knowledge Creation as a Synthesizing Process. In The Essentials of Knowledge Management; Springer Science and Business Media LLC.: Berlin/Heidelberg, Germany, 2015; pp. 95–110.
- Anthes, G.H. Learning how to share. Computerworld 1998, 32, 75–77.
- Barrett, P.; Sexton, M. Innovation in Small, Project-Based Construction Firms. Br. J. Manag. 2006, 17, 331–346.
- Gold, A.H.; Malhotra, A.; Segars, A.H. Knowledge Management: An Organizational Capabilities Perspective. J. Manag. Inf. Syst. 2001, 18, 185–214.
- Davenport, T.H.; De Long, D.W.; Beers, M.C. Building Successful Knowledge Management Projects; Center for Business Innovation Working Paper, January 1997. Available online: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/200045855_Building_Successful_Knowledge_Management_Projects (accessed on 21 June 2021).
- Leonard, D. Wellsprings of Knowledge; Harvard Business School Press: Boston, MA, USA, 1995.
- Richard, P.J.; Devinney, T.; Yip, G.S.; Johnson, G. Measuring Organizational Performance: Towards Methodological Best Practice. J. Manag. 2009, 35, 718–804.
- Kirby, J. Toward a theory of high performance. Harv. Bus. Rev. 2005, 83, 190.
- Mathura, V. The Influence of Strategic Leadership in an Organization: A Case Study: Ellerine Holdings Limited. Ph.D. Thesis, Rhodes University, Grahamstown, South Africa, 2009.
- Reger, R.K. From the Special Issue Editor Managing in the information age. J. Manag. 2001, 27, 233–234.
- Furnham, A. Managers as change agents. J. Chang. Manag. 2002, 3, 21–29.
- Lim, B.-C.; Ployhart, R.E. Transformational Leadership: Relations to the Five-Factor Model and Team Performance in Typical and Maximum Contexts. J. Appl. Psychol. 2004, 89, 610–621.
- García-Morales, V.; Lopez-Martín, F.; Llamas-Sánchez, R. Strategic factors and barriers for promoting educational organizational learning. Teach. Teach. Educ. 2006, 22, 478–502.
- Nevis, E.C.; DiBella, A.J.; Gould, J.M. Understanding Organizations as Learning Systems; MIT: Cambridge, MA, USA, 1997.
- Senge, P.M. The Leaders New Work: Building Learning Organizations. Leadersh. Perspect. 2017, 32, 51–67.
- DiBella, A.J.; Nevis, E.C.; Gould, J.M. Understanding Organizational Learning Capability. J. Manag. Stud. 1996, 33, 361–379.
- Greenwood, D.J.; Argyris, C.; Schon, D.A. Organizational Learning II: Theory, Method, and Practice. ILR Rev. 1997, 50, 701.
- Rahimi, H.; Arbabisarjou, A.; Allammeh, S.M.; Aghababaei, R. Relationship between Knowledge Management Process and Creativity among Faculty Members in the University. Interdiscip. J. Inf. Knowl. Manag. 2011, 6, 017–033.
- Lee, H.; Choi, B. Knowledge Management Enablers, Processes, and Organizational Performance: An Integrative View and Empirical Examination. J. Manag. Inf. Syst. 2003, 20, 179–228.
- Nonaka, I.; Toyama, R.; Konno, N. SECI, Ba and Leadership: A Unified Model of Dynamic Knowledge Creation. Long Range Plan. 2000, 33, 5–34.
- Locke, E.A. The nature and causes of job satisfaction. In Handbook of Industrial and Organizational Psychology; Rand McNally: Chicago, IL, USA, 1976; Volume 1, pp. 1297–1343.
- Judge, T.A.; Parker, S.; Colbert, A.E.; Heller, D.; Ilies, R. Job Satisfaction: A Cross-Cultural Review. In Handbook of Industrial, Work & Organizational Psychology; SAGE: Thousand Oaks, CA, USA, 2012; pp. 25–52.
- Buelens, M.; Kreitner, M.; Kinicki, A. Organizational Behavior; McGraw Hill: New York, NY, USA, 2002; Available online: https://repository.vlerick.com/handle/20.500.12127/475 (accessed on 21 June 2021).
- Spector, P.E. Job Satisfaction: Application, Assessment, Causes, and Consequences; SAGE Publications: Thousand Oaks, CA, USA, 1997.
- Yun, S.; Takeuchi, R.; Liu, W. Employee self-enhancement motives and job performance behaviors: Investigating the moderating effects of employee role ambiguity and managerial perceptions of employee commitment. J. Appl. Psychol. 2007, 92, 745–756.
- Viswesvaran, C. Assessment of Individual Job Performance: A Review of the past Century and a Look Ahead. In Handbook of Industrial, Work and Organizational Psychology: Personnel Psychology Handbook of Industrial, Work and Organizational Psychology: Personnel Psychology; SAGE Publications: Thousand Oaks, CA, USA, 2012; pp. 110–126.