- Please check and comment entries here.
Dowel-Type Joints in Timber Structures
Dowel-type joints are one of the most common connectors. They basically consist of one or more cylindrical steel dowels inserted into aligned holes of different elements. The dowels transmit loads between the elements, being subjected to opposite compressive forces on the contact area with each element. This causes the dowels to work under bending moments and shear forces. There is an almost infinite number of possible configurations for dowel-type joints.
2. Finite Element Model
2.1. Contact Zone
2.2. Steel and Timber Behavior Models
2.3. User Material Subroutine for Timber
2.4. Expansion of the Dowel
The entry is from 10.3390/f12091200
- Kasal, B.; Pospisil, S.; Jirovský, I.; Heiduschke, A.; Drdacky, M.; Haller, P. Seismic performance of laminated timber frames with fiber-reinforced joints. Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn. 2004, 33, 633–646.
- CEN/Technical Committee 124. Structural Timber—Determination of Characteristic Values of Mechanical Properties and Density EN 384:2016+A1:2018; European Committee for Standardization: Brussels, Belgium, 2018.
- CEN/Technical Committee 250. Eurocode 5: Design of Timber Structures—Part 1-1: General—Common Rules and Rules for Buildings EN 1995-1-1:2004/A2:2014; European Committee for Standardization: Brussels, Belgium, 2014.
- CEN/Technical Committee 124. Timber Structures—Glued Laminated Timber and Glued Solid Timber—Requirements EN 14080:2013; European Committee for Standardization: Brussels, Belgium, 2013.
- Milch, J.; Tippner, J.; Brabec, M.; Sebera, V.; Kunecký, J.; Kloiber, M.; Hasníková, H. Experimental testing and theoretical prediction of traditional dowel-type connections in tension parallel to grain. Eng. Struct. 2017, 152, 180–187.
- El-Houjeyri, I.; Thi, V.-D.; Oudjene, M.; Khelifa, M.; Rogaume, Y.; Sotayo, A.; Guan, Z. Experimental investigations on adhesive free laminated oak timber beams and timber-to-timber joints assembled using thermo-mechanically compressed wood dowels. Constr. Build. Mater. 2019, 222, 288–299.
- Iraola, B.; Cabrero, J.; Basterrechea-Arévalo, M.; Gracia, J. A geometrically defined stiffness contact for finite element models of wood joints. Eng. Struct. 2021, 235, 112062.
- Tuhkanen, E.; Mölder, J.; Schickhofer, G. Influence of number of layers on embedment strength of dowel-type connections for glulam and cross-laminated timber. Eng. Struct. 2018, 176, 361–368.
- Dourado, N.; da Silva, F.G.A.; de Moura, M. Fracture behavior of wood-steel dowel joints under quasi-static loading. Constr. Build. Mater. 2018, 176, 14–23.
- Yurrita, M.; Cabrero, J.M.; Quenneville, P. Brittle failure in the parallel-to-grain direction of multiple shear softwood timber connections with slotted-in steel plates and dowel-type fasteners. Constr. Build. Mater. 2019, 216, 296–313.
- Wei, P.; Wang, B.J.; Li, H.; Wang, L.; Peng, S.; Zhang, L. A comparative study of compression behaviors of cross-laminated timber and glued-laminated timber columns. Constr. Build. Mater. 2019, 222, 86–95.
- Nie, Y.; Karimi-Nobandegani, A.; Valipour, H.R. Experimental behaviour and numerical modelling of timber-timber composite (TTC) joints. Constr. Build. Mater. 2021, 290, 123273.
- Rad, A.R.; Burton, H.; Weinand, Y. Performance assessment of through-tenon timber joints under tension loads. Constr. Build. Mater. 2019, 207, 706–721.
- Pavković, K.; Stepinac, M.; Rajčić, V. Brittle failure modes in reinforced and non-reinforced timber joint with large diameter fastener loaded parallel to grain. Eng. Struct. 2020, 222, 111104.
- dos Santos, C.; Morais, J.; de Jesus, A.M. Mechanical behaviour of wood T-joints. Experimental and numerical investigation. Frat. Integrità Strutt. 2014, 31, 23–37.
- Vassiliou, V.; Barboutis, I.; Kamperidou, V. Strength of corner and middle joints of upholstered furniture frames constructed with black locust and beech wood. Wood Res. 2016, 61, 495–504.
- Tang, L.; Yang, H.; Crocetti, R.; Liu, J.; Shi, B.; Gustafsson, P.J.; Liu, W. Experimental and numerical investigations on the hybrid dowel and bonding steel plate joints for timber structures. Constr. Build. Mater. 2020, 265, 120847.
- Lacourt, P.A.; Crisafulli, F.J.; Mirasso, A.E. Finite element modelling of hysteresis, degradation and failure of dowel type timber joints. Eng. Struct. 2016, 123, 89–96.
- Bouchard, R.; Salenikovich, A.; Frenette, C.; Bedard-Blanchet, G. Experimental investigation of joints with multiple glued-in rods in glued-laminated timber under axial tensile loading. Constr. Build. Mater. 2021, 293, 122614.
- Toumpanaki, E.; Ramage, M.H. Glued-in CFRP and GFRP rods in block laminated timber subjected to monotonic and cyclic loading. Compos. Struct. 2021, 272, 114201.
- Xu, B.-H.; Li, D.-F.; Zhao, Y.-H.; Bouchaïr, A. Load-carrying capacity of timber joints with multiple glued-in steel rods loaded parallel to grain. Eng. Struct. 2020, 225, 111302.
- Masaeli, M.; Gilbert, B.; Karampour, H.; Underhill, I.; Lyu, C.; Gunalan, S. Scaling effect on the moment and shear responses of three types of beam-to-column connectors used in mass timber buildings. Eng. Struct. 2020, 208, 110329.
- Wang, Y.; Geng, Y.; Ranzi, G.; Zhang, S. Time-dependent behaviour of expansive concrete-filled steel tubular columns. J. Constr. Steel Res. 2010, 67, 471–483.
- Murakami, R.; Onoue, K.; Morimoto, K.; Hashimoto, R. Effects of expansive filler and headed rebar on the shortening of development length of mortar-filled joints. J. Build. Eng. 2021, 40, 102338.
- Li, Y.-L.; Zhao, X.-L. Experimental study on stainless steel blind bolted T-stub to square hollow section connections. Thin Walled Struct. 2021, 167, 108259.
- Seo, S.-Y.; Nam, B.-R.; Kim, S.-K. Tensile strength of the grout-filled head-splice-sleeve. Constr. Build. Mater. 2016, 124, 155–166.
- Zheng, Y.; Guo, Z.; Guan, D.; Zhang, X. Parametric study on a novel grouted rolling pipe splice for precast concrete construction. Constr. Build. Mater. 2018, 166, 452–463.
- Rodd, P.D.; Leijten, A.J.M. High-performance dowel-type joints for timber structures. Prog. Struct. Eng. Mater. 2003, 5, 77–89.
- van der Put, T.A. A continuum failure criterion applicable to wood. J. Wood Sci. 2009, 55, 315–322.
- Sawata, K.; Yasumura, M. Estimation of yield and ultimate strengths of bolted timber joints by nonlinear analysis and yield theory. J. Wood Sci. 2003, 49, 383–391.
- Fajdiga, G.; Rajh, D.; Nečemer, B.; Glodež, S.; Šraml, M. Experimental and numerical determination of the mechanical properties of spruce wood. Forests 2019, 10, 1140.
- Fu, W.-L.; Guan, H.-Y.; Kei, S. Effects of moisture content and grain direction on the elastic properties of beech wood based on experiment and finite element method. Forests 2021, 12, 610.
- Xu, B.-H.; Bouchair, A.; Taazount, M.; Racher, P. Numerical 3D finite element modelling and experimental tests of rounded dovetail connection. Eur. J. Environ. Civ. Eng. 2013, 17, 564–578.
- Guan, Z.; Zhu, E. Finite element modelling of anisotropic elasto-plastic timber composite beams with openings. Eng. Struct. 2009, 31, 394–403.
- Schoenmakers, J.; Jorissen, A. Failure mechanisms of dowel-type fastener connections perpendicular to grain. Eng. Struct. 2011, 33, 3054–3063.
- Reiterer, A.; Stanzl-Tschegg, S.E. Compressive behaviour of softwood under uniaxial loading at different orientations to the grain. Mech. Mater. 2001, 33, 705–715.
- Iraola, B.; Cabrero, J.M. An algorithm to model wood accounting for different tension and compression elastic and failure behaviors. Eng. Struct. 2016, 117, 332–343.
- Kharouf, N.; McClure, G.; Smith, I. Elasto-plastic modeling of wood bolted connections. Comput. Struct. 2003, 81, 747–754.
- de Borst, R.; Feenstra, P.H. Studies in anisotropic plasticity with reference to the Hill criterion. Int. J. Numer. Methods Eng. 1990, 29, 315–336.
- Holmberg, S.; Persson, K.; Petersson, H. Nonlinear mechanical behaviour and analysis of wood and fibre materials. Comput. Struct. 1999, 72, 459–480.
- Chen, D.J.; Han, W.F. Plasticity for Structural Engineers; J Ross Publishing: Plantation, FL, USA, 2007.