- Please check and comment entries here.
Transformerless Multilevel Voltage-Source Inverter Topology
At present, renewable energies represent 25% of the global power generation capacity. The increase in clean energy facilities is mainly due to the high levels of pollution generated by the burning of fossil fuels to satisfy the growing electricity demand. The global capacity of generating electricity from solar energy has experienced a significant increase, reaching 505 GW in 2018. Today, multilevel inverters are used in PV systems to convert direct current into alternating current. However, the use of multilevel inverters in renewable energies applications presents different challenges; for example, grid-connected systems use a transformer to avoid the presence of leakage currents. The grid-connected systems must meet at least two international standards analyzed in this work: VDE 0126-1-1 and VDE-AR-N 4105, which establish a maximum leakage current of 300 mA and harmonic distortion maximum of 5%. Previously, DC/AC converters have been studied in different industrial applications.
|High-switching frequency||Require fast switching and stray inductance should be minimized with the proper circuit.|
|High dv/dt||The energy injected into the load must be a sinusoidal signal. When intermediate energy levels are not used, the load must support high dv/dt stress.|
|Power loss||The fast switching causes a temperature increase in the semiconductor devices, which requires an adequate heat dissipation system.|
|Electromagnetic Interference (EMI)||Electromagnetic interference problems increase with the switching frequency of semiconductors.|
Presents an overview of the current integration of RES with energy injection systems to the grid.
Provides an evaluation and comparison between three voltage-source multilevel inverter topologies.
Discusses about the modulation strategy in NPC inverters.
Presents future trends and research opportunities to contribute to the field.
Presents the challenges and issues concerning the interconnection between the inverters and the grid.
Summarizes more than 20 inverter application works in PV systems.
2. Multilevel Voltage-Source Inverters
|Low-switching frequency||The switching frequency is lower, since generally more switches are used to generate the scaled output levels.|
|Low dv/dt of output voltages||The voltage stress is lower in each switch since the output levels are distributed among a greater number of semiconductors, thus obtaining a lower dv/dt of output voltage.|
|Structure||Modular structure that allows increasing the number of input sources and output power.|
|Power||High-output power without increasing the rating of the topology switches.|
|Total Harmonic Distortion (THD)||Low THD due to a more sinusoidal signal.|
|Reduced losses||Switching and conduction losses are low.|
|Fault tolerant operation||Using an adequate control strategy and state redundancy.|
where: Vdc is the input power supply and Vo,max is the output voltage in the load.
The entry is from 10.3390/en13123261
- Aleem, S.A.; Hussain, S.M.; Ustun, T.S. A review of strategies to increase PV penetration level in smart grids. Energies 2020, 13, 636.
- Kumar, N.; Saxena, V.; Singh, B.; Panigrahi, B.K. Intuitive control technique for grid connected partially shaded solar PV-based distributed generating system. IET Renew. Power Gener. 2020, 14, 600–607.
- Raturi, A.K. Renewables 2019 Global Status Report; REN21 Secretariat: Paris, France, 2019.
- Kumar, A.; Sharma, S.; Verma, A. Optimal sizing and multi-energy management strategy for PV-biofuel-based off-grid systems. IET Smart Grid 2020, 3, 83–97.
- Gatta, F.M.; Geri, A.; Lauria, S.; Maccioni, M.; Palone, F.; Portoghese, P.; Buono, L.; Necci, A. Replacing diesel generators with hybrid renewable power plants: Giglio smart island project. IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl. 2019, 55, 1083–1092.
- Sangwongwanich, A.; Yang, Y.; Sera, D.; Blaabjerg, F.; Zhou, D. On the impacts of PV array sizing on the inverter reliability and lifetime. IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl. 2018, 54, 3656–3667.
- Zhong, Z.; Zhang, Y.; Shen, H.; Li, X. Optimal planning of distributed photovoltaic generation for the traction power supply system of high-speed railway. J. Clean. Prod. 2020, 263, 121394.
- Naderi, E.; Pourakbari-Kasmaei, M.; Lehtonen, M. Transmission expansion planning integrated with wind farms: A review, comparative study, and a novel profound search approach. Int. J. Electr. Power Energy Syst. 2020, 115, 105460.
- Khatib, T.; Mohamed, A.; Sopian, K. A review of photovoltaic systems size optimization techniques. Renew. Sustain. Energy Rev. 2013, 22, 454–465.
- Hussin, M.Z.; Omar, A.M.; Shaari, S.; Sin, N.D.M. Review of state-of-the-art: Inverter-to-array power ratio for thin—Film sizing technique. Renew. Sustain. Energy Rev. 2017, 74, 265–277.
- Wirth, H.; Schneider, K. Recent Facts about Photovoltaics in Germany; Fraunhofer ISE: Freiburg, Germany, 2015; Volume 92.
- Vázquez, N.; Baeza, E.; Perea, A.; Hernández, C.; Vázquez, E.; López, H. “Z” and “qZ” source inverters as electronic ballast. IEEE Trans. Power Electron. 2016, 31, 7651–7660.
- Tapia Hector Jua, L.; Rodriguez Jose Juan, A.; Gonzalez Aurelio, D.; Resendiz Juvenal, R. Eight levels multilevel voltage source inverter modulation technique. IEEE Lat. Am. Trans. 2018, 16, 1121–1127.
- Yong, J.; Li, X.; Xu, W. Interharmonic source model for current-source inverter-fed variable frequency drive. IEEE Trans. Power Deliv. 2017, 32, 812–821.
- Komurcugil, H.; Altin, N.; Ozdemir, S.; Sefa, I. An extended lyapunov-function-based control strategy for single-phase UPS inverters. IEEE Trans. Power Electron. 2015, 30, 3976–3983.
- Esteve, V.; Jordán, J.; Sanchis-Kilders, E.; Dede, E.J.; Maset, E.; Ejea, J.B.; Ferreres, A. Enhanced pulse-density-modulated power control for high-frequency induction heating inverters. IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron. 2015, 62, 6905–6914.
- Wen, X.; Fan, T.; Ning, P.; Guo, Q. Technical approaches towards ultra-high power density SiC inverter in electric vehicle applications. CES Trans. Electr. Mach. Syst. 2017, 1, 231–237.
- Mondol, M.H.; Tur, M.R.; Biswas, S.P.; Hosain, M.K.; Shuvo, S.; Hossain, E. Compact three phase multilevel inverter for low and medium power photovoltaic systems. IEEE Access 2020, 8, 60824–60837.
- Sahan, B.; Araujo, S.V.; Noding, C.; Zacharias, P. Comparative evaluation of three-phase current source inverters for grid interfacing of distributed and renewable energy systems. IEEE Trans. Power Electron. 2011, 26, 2304–2318.
- Beig, A.R.; Dekka, A. Experimental verification of multilevel inverter-based standalone power supply for low-voltage and low-power applications. IET Power Electron. 2012, 5, 635–643.
- Aqeel Anwar, M.; Abbas, G.; Khan, I.; Awan, A.B.; Farooq, U.; Saleem Khan, S.; Majeed, R. An impedance network-based three level quasi neutral point clamped inverter with high voltage gain. Energies 2020, 13, 1261.
- Rana, R.A.; Patel, S.A.; Muthusamy, A.; Lee, C.W.; Kim, H.J. Review of multilevel voltage source inverter topologies and analysis of harmonics distortions in FC-MLI. Electronics 2019, 8, 1329.
- Yuan, W.; Wang, T.; Diallo, D.; Delpha, C. A fault diagnosis strategy based on multilevel classification for a cascaded photovoltaic grid-connected inverter. Electronics 2020, 9, 429.
- Devi, G.R.; Rajesh, P.; Sathish, S.; Sivaraman, S.; Fayaz, S.M. Performance investigation of hexagram inverter for high power applications. In Proceedings of the 2019 IEEE International Conference on System, Computation, Automation and Networking (ICSCAN), Pondicherry, India, 29–30 March 2019; pp. 1–8.
- Jiao, L.; Qiu, D.; Zhang, B.; Chen, Y. A hybrid nine-arm high-voltage inverter with DC-fault blocking capability. Energies 2019, 12, 3850.
- Rodriguez, J.; Kazmierkowski, M.P.; Espinoza, J.R.; Zanchetta, P.; Abu-Rub, H.; Young, H.A.; Rojas, C.A. State of the art of finite control set model predictive control in power electronics. IEEE Trans. Ind. Inform. 2013, 9, 1003–1016.
- Panten, N.; Hoffmann, N.; Fuchs, F.W. Finite control set model predictive current control for grid-connected voltage-source converters with LCL filters: A study based on different state feedbacks. IEEE Trans. Power Electron. 2016, 31, 5189–5200.
- Yang, S.; Lei, Q.; Peng, F.Z.; Qian, Z. A robust control scheme for grid-connected voltage-source inverters. IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron. 2011, 58, 202–212.
- Kumar, N.; Saha, T.K.; Dey, J. Control, implementation, and analysis of a dual two-level photovoltaic inverter based on modified proportional-resonant controller. IET Renew. Power Gener. 2018, 12, 598–604.
- Revana, G.; Kota, V.R. Simulation and implementation of resonant controller based PV fed cascaded boost-converter three phase five-level inverter system. J. King Saud Univ. Eng. Sci. 2019.
- Gupta, K.K.; Ranjan, A.; Bhatnagar, P.; Sahu, L.K.; Jain, S. Multilevel inverter topologies with reduced device count: A review. IEEE Trans. Power Electron. 2016, 31, 135–151.
- Estévez-Bén, A.A.; López Tapia, H.J.C.; Carrillo-Serrano, R.V.; Rodríguez-Reséndiz, J.; Vázquez Nava, N. A new predictive control strategy for multilevel current-source inverter grid-connected. Electronics 2019, 8, 902.
- Rodriguez, J.; Lai, S.-J.; Peng, F.Z. Multilevel inverters: A survey of topologies, controls, and applications. IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron. 2002, 49, 724–738.
- Fazel, S.S.; Bernet, S.; Krug, D.; Jalili, K. Design and comparison of 4-kV neutral-point-clamped, flying-capacitor, and series-connected H-bridge multilevel converters. IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl. 2007, 43, 1032–1040.
- Cheng, Y.; Qian, C.; Crow, M.L.; Pekarek, S.; Atcitty, S. A comparison of diode-clamped and cascaded multilevel converters for a STATCOM with energy storage. IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron. 2006, 53, 1512–1521.
- Araujo, S.V.; Zacharias, P. Analysis on the potential of Silicon Carbide MOSFETs and other innovative semiconductor technologies in the photovoltaic branch. In Proceedings of the 2009 13th European Conference on Power Electronics and Applications, Barcelona, Spain, 8–10 September 2009; pp. 1–10.
- Siddique, M.D.; Mekhilef, S.; Shah, N.M.; Sarwar, A.; Iqbal, A.; Memon, M.A. A new multilevel inverter topology with reduce switch count. IEEE Access 2019, 7, 58584–58594.
- Omer, P.; Kumar, J.; Surjan, B.S. A review on reduced switch count multilevel inverter topologies. IEEE Access 2020, 8, 22281–22302.
- Rawa, M.; Siddique, M.D.; Mekhilef, S.; Mohamed Shah, N.; Bassi, H.; Seyedmahmoudian, M.; Horan, B.; Stojcevski, A. Dual input switched-capacitor-based single-phase hybrid boost multilevel inverter topology with reduced number of components. IET Power Electron. 2020, 13, 881–891.
- Xiao, H.F.; Liu, X.P.; Lan, K. Zero-voltage-transition full-bridge topologies for transformerless photovoltaic grid-connected inverter. IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron. 2014, 61, 5393–5401.
- Vosoughi, N.; Hosseini, S.H.; Sabahi, M. Single-phase common-grounded transformer-less grid-tied inverter for PV application. IET Power Electron. 2020, 13, 157–167.
- Mahmood, H.; Jiang, J. Modeling and control system design of a grid connected VSC considering the effect of the interface transformer type. IEEE Trans. Smart Grid 2012, 3, 122–134.
- Guo, X.; Wang, N.; Wang, B.; Lu, Z.; Blaabjerg, F. Evaluation of three-phase transformerless DC-bypass PV inverters for leakage current reduction. IEEE Trans. Power Electron. 2020, 35, 5918–5927.
- Estévez-Bén, A.A.; Alvarez-Diazcomas, A.; Macias-Bobadilla, G.; Rodriguez-Resendiz, J. Leakage current reduction in single-phase grid-connected inverters—A review. Appl. Sci. 2020, 10, 2384.
- Li, W.; Gu, Y.; Luo, H.; Cui, W.; He, X.; Xia, C. Topology review and derivation methodology of single-phase transformerless photovoltaic inverters for leakage current suppression. IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron. 2015, 62, 4537–4551.