- Please check and comment entries here.
Dairy Cows under Heat Stress
Heat stress is a major problem for dairy cattle welfare, and it has several implications for milk production. In this work, automatic sensors were used to monitor cows’ activity. Different behaviors were recorded for 40 animals at different heat stress conditions. The main aim of the study was to use automatic sensors to identify behavior changes caused by heat stress on dairy cows. All behaviors studied were affected by environmental conditions. Animals adapted to heat stress by modifying their behavior, and automatic sensors provided valuable information in this regard. These findings might be the early development of an automatic early warning system for heat stress based on the behavioral modifications of dairy cattle.
2. Dairy Cows Activity under Heat Stress
3. Conclusions From the Case Study in Spain
The entry is from 10.3390/ani11082305
- Lees, A.; Sejian, V.; Wallage, A.; Steel, C.; Mader, T.; Lees, J.; Gaughan, J. The Impact of Heat Load on Cattle. Animals 2019, 9, 322.
- Thom, E.C. The discomfort index. Weatherwise 1959, 12, 57–60.
- Zimbelman, R.B.; Rhoads, R.P.; Rhoads, M.L.; Duff, G.C.; Baumgard, L.H.; Collier, R.J.A. Re-Evaluation of the Impact of Temperature Humidity Index (THI) and Black Globe Humidity Index (BGHI) on Milk Production in High Producing Dairy Cows. In Proceedings of the Southwest Nutrition and Management Conference, Tempe, AZ, USA, 24–25 February 2005; Tempe, A.Z.J.R., Collier, E., Eds.; The University of Arizona: Tucson, AZ, USA, 2009; pp. 158–168.
- Collier, R.J.; Hall, L.W.; Rungruang, S.; Zimbleman, R.B. Quantifying heat stress and its impact on metabolism and performance. In Proceedings of the 23rd Annu Florida Ruminant Nutrition Symposium, Gainesville, FL, USA, 31 January–1 February 2012; p. 68.
- Polsky, L.; von Keyserlingk, M.A.G. Invited review: Effects of heat stress on dairy cattle welfare. J. Dairy Sci. 2017, 100, 8645–8657.
- Habeeb, A.A.; Gad, A.E.; Atta, M.A. Temperature-Humidity Indices as Indicators to Heat Stress of Climatic Conditions with Relation to Production and Reproduction of Farm Animals. Int. J. Biotechnol. Recent Adv. 2018, 1, 35–50.
- Moretti, R.; Biffani, S.; Chessa, S.; Bozzi, R. Heat stress effects on Holstein dairy cows’ rumination. Animal 2017, 11, 2320–2325.
- Tullo, E.; Mattachini, G.; Riva, E.; Finzi, A.; Provolo, G.; Guarino, M. Effects of Climatic Conditions on the Lying Behavior of a Group of Primiparous Dairy Cows. Animals 2019, 9, 869.
- Galán, E.; Llonch, P.; Villagrá, A.; Levit, H.; Pinto, S.; del Prado, A. A systematic review of non-productivity-related animal-based indicators of heat stress resilience in dairy cattle. PLoS ONE 2018, 13, e0206520.
- Fournel, S.; Ouellet, V.; Charbonneau, É. Practices for Alleviating Heat Stress of Dairy Cows in Humid Continental Climates: A Literature Review. Animals 2017, 7, 37.
- Herbut, P.; Angrecka, S. Relationship between THI level and dairy cows’ behaviour during summer period. Ital. J. Anim. Sci. 2018, 17, 226–233.
- Brown-Brandl, T.M.; Eigenberg, R.A.; Nienaber, J.A. Heat stress risk factors of feedlot heifers. Livest. Sci. 2006, 105, 57–68.
- Wechsler, B. Coping and coping strategies: A behavioural view. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 1995, 43, 123–134.
- Müller, R.; Schrader, L. A new method to measure behavioural activity levels in dairy cows. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 2003, 83, 247–258.
- Grant, R.; Albright, J. Effect of Animal Grouping on Feeding Behavior and Intake of Dairy Cattle. J. Dairy Sci. 2001, 84, E156–E163.
- Dado, R.; Allen, M. Variation in and Relationships Among Feeding, Chewing, and Drinking Variables for Lactating Dairy Cows. J. Dairy Sci. 1994, 77, 132–144.
- Liu, J.; Li, L.; Chen, X.; Lu, Y.; Wang, D. Effects of heat stress on body temperature, milk production, and reproduction in dairy cows: A novel idea for monitoring and evaluation of heat stress—A review. Asian Australas. J. Anim. Sci. 2019, 32, 1332–1339.
- Meneses, X.; Park, R.; Ridge, E.; Daigle, C. Hourly activity patterns and behaviour-based management of feedlot steers with and without a cattle brush. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 2021, 236, 105241.
- Banhazi, T.M.; Lehr, H.; Black, J.L.; Crabtee, H.; Schofield, C.P.; Tscharke, M.; Berckmans, D. Precision Livestock Farming: An international review of scientific and commercial aspects. Int. J. Agric. Biol. Eng. 2012, 5, 1.
- Berckmans, D.; Guarino, M. From the Editors: Precision livestock farming for the global livestock sector. Anim. Front. 2017, 7, 4–5.
- Bahlo, C.; Dahlhaus, P.; Thompson, H.; Trotter, M. The role of interoperable data standards in precision livestock farming in extensive livestock systems: A review. Comput. Electron. Agric. 2019, 156, 459–466.
- Lindblom, J.; Lundstrom, C.; Ljung, M.; Jonsson, A. Promoting sustainable intensification in precision agriculture: Review of decision support systems development and strategies. Precis. Agric. 2017, 18, 309–331.
- Bishop, J.C.; Falzon, G.; Trotter, M.; Kwan, P.; Meek, P.D. Livestock vocalisation classification in farm soundscapes. Comput. Electron. Agric. 2019, 162, 531–542.
- Meunier, B.; Pradel, P.; Sloth, K.H.; Cirié, C.; Delval, E.; Mialon, M.M.; Veissier, I. Image analysis to refine measurements of dairy cow behaviour from a real-time location system. Biosyst. Eng. 2018, 173, 32–44.
- Clark, C.; Lyons, N.; Millapan, L.; Talukder, S.; Cronin, G.; Kerrisk, K.; Garcia, S. Rumination and activity levels as predictors of calving for dairy cows. Animal 2015, 9, 691–695.
- Lovarelli, D.; Bacenetti, J.; Guarino, M. A review on dairy cattle farming: Is precision livestock farming the compromise for an environmental, economic and social sustainable production. J. Clean. Prod. 2020, 262, 121409.
- Costa, J.; Cantor, M.; Neave, H. Symposium review: Precision technologies for dairy calves and management applications. J. Dairy Sci. 2020, 104, 1203–1219.
- Lokhorst, C.; de Mol, R.M.; Kamphuis, C. Invited review: Big data in precision dairy farming. Animal 2019, 13, 1519–1528.
- Bohmanova, J.; Misztal, I.; Cole, J.B. Temperature-Humidity Indices as Indicators of Milk Production Losses due to Heat Stress. J. Dairy Sci. 2007, 90, 1947–1956.
- Doron, B.; Moshe, K.; Israel, F.; Boaz, H.; Rachel, L.T. Technical note: Accelerometer-based recording of heavy breathing in lactating and dry cows as an automated measure of heat load. J. Dairy Sci. 2019, 102, 3480–3486.
- Lees, A.M.; Lees, J.C.; Sejian, V.; Sullivan, M.L.; Gaughan, J.B. Influence of shade on panting score and behavioural responses of Bos taurus and Bos indicus feedlot cattle to heat load. Anim. Prod. Sci. 2019, 60, 305–315.
- Robertshaw, D. Mechanisms for the control of respiratory evaporative heat loss in panting animals. J. Appl. Physiol. 2006, 101, 664–668.
- Gaughan, J.B.; Mader, T.L.; Holt, S.M.; Lisle, A. A new heat load index for feedlot cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 2008, 86, 226–234.
- Mader, T.L.; Davis, M.S.; Brown-Brandl, T. Environmental factors influencing heat stress in feedlot cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 2006, 84, 712–719.
- Lamp, O.; Derno, M.; Otten, W.; Mielenz, M.; Nürnberg, G.; Kuhla, B. Metabolic Heat Stress Adaption in Transition Cows: Differences in Macronutrient Oxidation between Late-Gestating and Early-Lactating German Holstein Dairy Cows. PLoS ONE 2015, 10, e0125264.
- Ammer, S.; Lambertz, C.; Von Soosten, D.; Zimmer, K.; Meyer, U.; Danicke, S.D.; Gauly, M. Impact of diet composition and temperature–humidity index on water and dry matter intake of high-yielding dairy cows. J. Anim. Physiol. Anim. Nutr. 2018, 102, 103–113.
- Soriani, N.; Panella, G.; Calamari, L. Rumination time during the summer season and its relationships with metabolic conditions and milk production. J. Dairy Sci. 2013, 96, 5082–5094.
- Schirmann, K.; Chapinal, N.; Weary, D.M.; Heuwieser, W.; von Keyserlingk, M.A.G. Rumination and its relationship to feeding and lying behavior in Holstein dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 2012, 95, 3212–3217.
- Provolo, G.; Riva, E. One year study of lying and standing behaviour of dairy cows in a freestall barn in Italy. J. Agric. Eng. 2009, 2, 27–33.
- Fregonesi, J.A.; Leaver, J.D. Behaviour, performance and health indicators of welfare for dairy cows housed in strawyard or cubicle systems. Livest. Prod. Sci. 2001, 68, 205–216.
- De Palo, P.; Tateo, A.; Padalino, B.; Zezza, F.; Centoducati, P. Influence of temperature-humidity index on the preference of primiparous Holstein Friesians for different kinds of cubicle flooring. Ital. J. Anim. Sci. 2005, 4, 194–196.
- Cook, N.B.; Mentink, R.L.; Bennett, T.B.; Burgi, K. The effect of heat stress and lameness on time budgets of lactating dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 2007, 90, 1674–1682.
- Brzozowska, A.; Łukaszewicz, M.; Sender, G.; Kolasińska, D.; Oprządek, J. Locomotor activity of dairy cows in relation to season and lactation. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 2014, 156, 6–11.
- Rulquin, H.; Caudal, J.P. Effects of lying or standing on mammary blood flow and heart rate of dairy cows. Ann. Zootech. 1992, 41, 101.
- Igono, M.O.; Bjotvedt, G.; Sanford-Crane, H.T. Environmental profile and critical temperature effects on milk production of Holstein cows in desert climate. Int. J. Biometeorol. 1992, 36, 77–87.
- Cook, N.B.; Nordlund, K.V. Behavioral needs of the transition cow and considerations for special needs facility design. Vet. Clin. N. Am. Food Anim. Pract. 2004, 20, 495–520.