- Please check and comment entries here.
IoT and Sustainable Smart Cities
The Internet of Things (IoT) is an emerging technology and provides connectivity with the physical world using the support of 5G communication. In recent decades, there have been a lot of applications based on IoT technology for the sustainability of smart cities, such as farming, e-healthcare, education, smart homes, weather monitoring, etc. These applications communicate in a collaborative manner between embedded IoT devices and systematize daily routine tasks. However, it is observed that transmission system in constraint oriented network is still a burning research issue in smart cities. Also, there is an existence of a lot of malicious machines that can damage sustainable services of smart cities and compromised the connected devices. Thus, proposing an efficient solution using a 5G system is a demanding task for a smart environment that efficiently utilizes the communication resources and securing the data over insecure routes.
2. Related work
|Contributions and Limitations|
|Proposed architecture||A solution was developed using a 5G network for real-time public health application that increases the sustainability of complex operations in the presence of unpredictable events. It also facilitates application users with high communication bandwidth and optimal performance.|
- i. It supports the delivery of online data with a high level of security and network continuity for mobile networks. Unlike other traditional approaches, it leads to few data delays and decreases the processing cost with the availability of higher bandwidth.
- ii. It also secures the 5G ecosystem with a nominal risk rate and supports trustworthy communication. The mobile sink collaborates with both gateway nodes and medical storage centers to gather the IoT data, which explicitly increases the success rate of sensitive data with optimum delay.
- iii. Moreover, instead of only securing the boundary points for data routing, the proposed architecture performs risk analysis for the IoT nodes and links. The proposed architecture was tested and evaluated against existing work in terms of various experiments and it was seen to have significantly better performance. The multi-level security secures the routing for next-generation networks without imposing additional resource usage.
The entry is from 10.3390/su13169092
- Wang, D.; Chen, D.; Song, B.; Guizani, N.; Yu, X.; Du, X. From IoT to 5G I-IoT: The Next Generation IoT-Based Intelligent Algorithms and 5G Technologies. IEEE Commun. Mag. 2018, 56, 114–120.
- Haseeb, K.; Islam, N.; Saba, T.; Rehman, A.; Mehmood, Z. LSDAR: A light-weight structure based data aggregation routing protocol with secure internet of things integrated next-generation sensor networks. Sustain. Cities Soc. 2019, 54, 101995.
- Lloret, J.; Parra, L.; Taha, M.; Tomás, J. An architecture and protocol for smart continuous eHealth monitoring using 5G. Comput. Netw. 2017, 129, 340–351.
- Mohanta, B.K.; Jena, D.; Satapathy, U.; Patnaik, S. Survey on IoT security: Challenges and solution using machine learning, artificial intelligence and blockchain technology. Internet Things 2020, 11, 100227.
- Singh, S.; Sharma, P.K.; Yoon, B.; Shojafar, M.; Cho, G.H.; Ra, I.-H. Convergence of blockchain and artificial intelligence in IoT network for the sustainable smart city. Sustain. Cities Soc. 2020, 63, 102364.
- Saba, T.; Haseeb, K.; Ahmed, I.; Rehman, A. Secure and energy-efficient framework using Internet of Medical Things for e-healthcare. J. Infect. Public Health 2020, 13, 1567–1575.
- González-Landero, F.; García-Magariño, I.; Lacuesta, R.; Lloret, J. PriorityNet App: A mobile application for establishing priorities in the context of 5G ultra-dense networks. IEEE Access 2018, 6, 14141–14150.
- Sharma, T.; Chehri, A.; Fortier, P. Review of optical and wireless backhaul networks and emerging trends of next generation 5G and 6G technologies. Trans. Emerg. Telecommun. Technol. 2020, 32, e4155.
- Haseeb, K.; Almogren, A.; Din, I.U.; Islam, N.; Altameem, A. SASC: Secure and Authentication-Based Sensor Cloud Architecture for Intelligent Internet of Things. Sensors 2020, 20, 2468.
- Taha, M.; Parra, L.; Garcia, L.; Lloret, J. An Intelligent handover process algorithm in 5G networks: The use case of mobile cameras for environmental surveillance. In Proceedings of the 2017 IEEE International Conference on Communications Workshops (ICC Workshops), Paris, France, 21–25 May 2017.
- Gubbi, J.; Buyya, R.; Marusic, S.; Palaniswami, M.S. Internet of Things (IoT): A vision, architectural elements, and future directions. Futur. Gener. Comput. Syst. 2013, 29, 1645–1660.
- Elrawy, M.F.; Awad, A.I.; Hamed, H.F. Intrusion detection systems for IoT-based smart environments: A survey. J. Cloud Comput. 2018, 7, 1–20.
- Rehman, A.; Haseeb, K.; Saba, T.; Lloret, J.; Tariq, U. Secured Big Data Analytics for Decision-Oriented Medical System Using Internet of Things. Electronics 2021, 10, 1273.
- Kotenko, I.; Saenko, I.; Branitskiy, A. Framework for Mobile Internet of Things Security Monitoring Based on Big Data Processing and Machine Learning. IEEE Access 2018, 6, 72714–72723.
- Ren, J.; Guo, H.; Xu, C.; Zhang, Y. Serving at the Edge: A Scalable IoT Architecture Based on Transparent Computing. IEEE Netw. 2017, 31, 96–105.
- Yelamarthi, K.; Aman, S.; AbdelGawad, A. An Application-Driven Modular IoT Architecture. Wirel. Commun. Mob. Comput. 2017, 2017, 1–16.
- Sagirlar, G.; Carminati, B.; Ferrari, E. Decentralizing privacy enforcement for Internet of Things smart objects. Comput. Netw. 2018, 143, 112–125.
- Lv, P.; Wang, L.; Zhu, H.; Deng, W.; Gu, L. An IOT-Oriented Privacy-Preserving Publish/Subscribe Model Over Blockchains. IEEE Access 2019, 7, 41309–41314.
- Saba, T.; Haseeb, K.; Shah, A.A.; Rehman, A.; Tariq, U.; Mehmood, Z. A Machine-Learning-Based Approach for Autonomous IoT Security. IT Prof. 2021, 23, 69–75.
- Hossain, E.; Khan, I.; Un-Noor, F.; Sikander, S.S.; Sunny, S.H. Application of Big Data and Machine Learning in Smart Grid, and Associated Security Concerns: A Review. IEEE Access 2019, 7, 13960–13988.
- Liu, Z.; Seo, H. IoT-NUMS: Evaluating NUMS Elliptic Curve Cryptography for IoT Platforms. IEEE Trans. Inf. Forensics Secur. 2018, 14, 720–729.
- Mohanta, B.K.; Sahoo, A.; Patel, S.; Panda, S.S.; Jena, D.; Gountia, D. Decauth: Decentralized authentication scheme for iot device using ethereum blockchain. In Proceedings of the TENCON 2019-2019 IEEE Region 10 Conference (TENCON), Kochi, India, 17–20 October 2019.
- Chaabouni, N.; Mosbah, M.; Zemmari, A.; Sauvignac, C.; Faruki, P. Network Intrusion Detection for IoT Security Based on Learning Techniques. IEEE Commun. Surv. Tutorials 2019, 21, 2671–2701.
- Ali, G.; Ahmad, N.; Cao, Y.; Asif, S.; Cruickshank, H.; Ali, Q.E. Blockchain based permission delegation and access control in Internet of Things (BACI). Comput. Secur. 2019, 86, 318–334.
- Qiu, J.; Tian, Z.; Du, C.; Zuo, Q.; Su, S.; Fang, B. A Survey on Access Control in the Age of Internet of Things. IEEE Internet Things J. 2020, 7, 4682–4696.
- Dorri, A.; Kanhere, S.S.; Jurdak, R.; Gauravaram, P. LSB: A Lightweight Scalable Blockchain for IoT security and anonymity. J. Parallel Distrib. Comput. 2019, 134, 180–197.
- Rehman, A.; Haseeb, K.; Saba, T.; Kolivand, H. M-SMDM: A model of security measures using Green Internet of Things with Cloud Integrated Data Management for Smart Cities. Environ. Technol. Innov. 2021, 24, 101802.
- Arellanes, D.; Lau, K.-K. Evaluating IoT service composition mechanisms for the scalability of IoT systems. Futur. Gener. Comput. Syst. 2020, 108, 827–848.
- Si, H.; Sun, C.; Li, Y.; Qiao, H.; Shi, L. IoT information sharing security mechanism based on blockchain technology. Futur. Gener. Comput. Syst. 2019, 101, 1028–1040.
- Li, Z.; Liu, L.; Barenji, A.V.; Wang, W. Cloud-based Manufacturing Blockchain: Secure Knowledge Sharing for Injection Mould Redesign. Procedia CIRP 2018, 72, 961–966.
- Gope, P.; Gheraibia, Y.; Kabir, S.; Sikdar, B. A secure IoT-based modern healthcare system with fault-tolerant decision making process. IEEE J. Biomed. Health Inform. 2020, 25, 862–873.
- Danzi, P.; Kalor, A.E.; Stefanovic, C.; Popovski, P. Delay and Communication Tradeoffs for Blockchain Systems With Lightweight IoT Clients. IEEE Internet Things J. 2019, 6, 2354–2365.
- Wang, N.; Jiang, T.; Lv, S.; Xiao, L. Physical-Layer Authentication Based on Extreme Learning Machine. IEEE Commun. Lett. 2017, 21, 1557–1560.
- Xu, X.; Liu, X.; Xu, Z.; Dai, F.; Zhang, X.; Qi, L. Trust-Oriented IoT Service Placement for Smart Cities in Edge Computing. IEEE Internet Things J. 2019, 7, 4084–4091.
- Dedeoglu, V.; Jurdak, R.; Dorri, A.; Lunardi, R.; Michelin, R.; Zorzo, A.; Kanhere, S. Blockchain Technologies for iot. In Advanced Applications of Blockchain Technology; Lee, S.-W., Singh, I., Mohammadian, M., Eds.; Springer: Berlin/Heidelberg, Germany, 2020; pp. 55–89.
- Sadowski, S.; Spachos, P. Wireless technologies for smart agricultural monitoring using internet of things devices with energy harvesting capabilities. Comput. Electron. Agric. 2020, 172, 105338.
- Wang, N.; Wang, P.; Alipour-Fanid, A.; Jiao, L.; Zeng, K. Physical-Layer Security of 5G Wireless Networks for IoT: Challenges and Opportunities. IEEE Internet Things J. 2019, 6, 8169–8181.
- Xu, L.; Yu, X.; Gulliver, T.A. Intelligent Outage Probability Prediction for Mobile IoT Networks Based on an IGWO-Elman Neural Network. IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol. 2021, 70, 1365–1375.
- Cicioğlu, M.; Çalhan, A. IoT-based wireless body area networks for disaster cases. Int. J. Commun. Syst. 2018, 33, e3864.
- Pratap, A.; Gupta, R.; Nadendla, V.S.S.; Das, S.K. Bandwidth-constrained task throughput maximization in IoT-enabled 5G networks. Pervasive Mob. Comput. 2020, 69, 101281.
- Sarker, I.H. A machine learning based robust prediction model for real-life mobile phone data. Internet Things 2019, 5, 180–193.
- Zolanvari, M.; Teixeira, M.A.; Gupta, L.; Khan, K.M.; Jain, R. Machine Learning-Based Network Vulnerability Analysis of Industrial Internet of Things. IEEE Internet Things J. 2019, 6, 6822–6834.
- Kumar, N.M.; Mallick, P.K. Blockchain technology for security issues and challenges in IoT. Procedia Comput. Sci. 2018, 132, 1815–1823.
- Sadique, K.M.; Rahmani, R.; Johannesson, P. Towards Security on Internet of Things: Applications and Challenges in Technology. Procedia Comput. Sci. 2018, 141, 199–206.
- Dorri, A.; Roulin, C.; Jurdak, R.; Kanhere, S.S. On the activity privacy of blockchain for IoT. In Proceedings of the 2019 IEEE 44th Conference on Local Computer Networks (LCN), Osnabrück, Germany, 14–17 October 2019.
- Putra, G.D.; Dedeoglu, V.; Kanhere, S.S.; Jurdak, R. Trust management in decentralized IoT access control system. In Proceedings of the 2020 IEEE International Conference on Blockchain and Cryptocurrency (ICBC), Toronto, ON, Canada, 2–6 May 2020.
- Dorri, A.; Luo, F.; Kanhere, S.S.; Jurdak, R.; Dong, Z.Y. SPB: A secure private blockchain-based solution for distributed energy trading. IEEE Commun. Mag. 2019, 57, 120–126.
- Malik, S.; Dedeoglu, V.; Kanhere, S.S.; Jurdak, R. Trustchain: Trust management in blockchain and iot supported supply chains. In Proceedings of the 2019 IEEE International Conference on Blockchain (Blockchain), Seoul, Korea, 14–17 July 2019.
- Zhao, Y.; Liu, Y.; Tian, A.; Yu, Y.; Du, X. Blockchain based privacy-preserving software updates with proof-of-delivery for Internet of Things. J. Parallel Distrib. Comput. 2019, 132, 141–149.
- Yu, F.; Chen, M.; Yu, B.; Li, W.; Ma, L.; Gao, H. Privacy preservation based on clustering perturbation algorithm for social network. Multimedia Tools Appl. 2017, 77, 11241–11258.
- Guo, X.; Lin, H.; Li, Z.; Peng, M. Deep-reinforcement-learning-based QoS-aware secure routing for SDN-IoT. IEEE Internet Things J. 2019, 7, 6242–6251.
- Zhang, Y.; Chen, G.; Du, H.; Yuan, X.; Kadoch, M.; Cheriet, M. Real-time remote health monitoring system driven by 5G MEC-IoT. Electronics 2020, 9, 1753.