- Please check and comment entries here.
Board Games in Improving Speaking
English is a fundamental language to learn as it is used worldwide. The teaching and learning of English has been emphasized in Malaysia as English plays a major role in global communication. However, speaking performance was recorded as poor and weak among pupils in ESL classrooms. Previous researchers explored a myriad of communicative language activities to improve speaking skill. Board games are employed as one of the most useful tools to improve speaking skills among pupils.
2. Board Games in Improving Pupils’ Speaking Skills
2.1. Pupils’ Perceptions to the Use of Board Games
2.2. Usefulness of Board Games in Improving Pupils’ Speaking Skill
The entry is from 10.3390/su13168772
- Lie, W.; Yunus, M.M. Pen pals are now in your fingertips—A global collaboration online project to develop writing skills. Creat. Educ. 2018, 9, 2491–2504.
- Sharma, D.R. Action research on improving students’ speaking proficiency in using cooperative storytelling strategy. J. NELTA Surkhet 2018, 5, 1–9.
- Nadesan, N.K.; Shah, P.M. Non-linguistic challenges faced by Malaysian students in enhancing speaking skills. Creat. Educ. 2020, 11, 1988–2001.
- Hayuningtyas, N.; Farizah, N.H. Developing “Speak it up” board game in speaking skill for undergraduate EFL students. PESAT 2020, 6, 1–14.
- Charanjit, K.S.S.; Ramachandran, A.; Tarsame, S.M.S.; Ong, E.T.; Yunus, M.M.; Mulyadi, D. The use of think pair share of cooperative learning to improve weak students’ speaking ability. Int. J. Psychosoc. Rehabil. 2020, 24, 2243–2251.
- Mustapha, S.M.; Abd Rahman, N.S.N.; Yunus, M.M. Factors influencing classroom participation: A case study of Malaysian undergraduate students. Procedia Soc. Behav. Sci. 2010, 9, 1079–1084.
- Zakaria, N.; Hashim, H.; Yunus, M. A review of affective strategy and social strategy in developing students’ speaking skills. Creat. Educ. 2019, 10, 3082–3090.
- Arif, F.K.M.; Zubir, N.Z.; Mohamad, M.; Yunus, M.M. Benefits and challenges of using game-based formative assessment among undergraduate students. Humanit. Soc. Sci. Rev. 2019, 7, 203–213.
- Kapp, K.M. The Gamification of Learning and Instruction: Case-Based Methods and Strategies for Training and Education; Pfieffer, An Imprint of John Wiley & Sons: New York, NY, USA, 2012.
- Fithriani, R. Communicative game-based learning in EFL grammar class: Suggested activities and students’ perception. JEELS J. Engl. Educ. Linguist. Stud. 2018, 5, 171–188.
- Łodzikowski, K.; Jekiel, M. Board games for teaching English prosody to advanced EFL learners. ELT J. 2019, 73, 275–285.
- Gonzalo-Iglesia, J.L.; Lozano-Monterrubio, N.; Prades-Tena, J. Non educational board games in university education. Perceptions of students experiencing game-based learning methodologies. Revista LUsófona de Educação 2018, 41, 45–62.
- Ratih, F.T.; Ningsih, N.A.; Kurniawan, A. Using a board game “Snake and Ladder” to teach speaking descriptive text at the eight grade students of SMPN 2 Wungu. Engl. Teach. J. 2017, 5.
- Maqfirah, Y.; Fitriani, S.; Chairina. The use of guessing games to teach speaking skill. Res. Engl. Educ. READ 2018, 3, 91–99.
- Putri, N.; Setiyadi, B.; Nabila, S. The implementation of board game to improve students’ speaking achievement. U-JET 2018, 7, 51–59.
- Taspinar, B.; Schmidt, W.; Schuhbauer, H. Gamification in education: A board game approach to knowledge acquisition. Procedia Comput. Sci. 2017, 99, 101–116.
- Surajwaran, M.; Aziz, A.A. The impact of the implementation of CLT on students’ speaking skills. Int. J. Sci. Res. Publ. 2019, 9, 75–82.
- Barton, E.E.; Pokorski, E.A.; Sweeney, E.M.; Velez, M.; Gossett, S.; Qiu, J.; Domingo, M. An empirical examination of effective practices for teaching board game play to young children. J. Posit. Behav. Interv. 2018, 20, 138–148.
- Asiah, N. The use of dart board games as strategy to improve students’ speaking skill. SELL J. 2020, 5, 131–136.
- Suhardiyati, Y.; Sukirlan, M.; Nurweni, A. The influence of What Am I? game toward students’ speaking achievement. U-JET Unila J. Engl. Teach. 2018, 7, 54–62.
- Linares, C.E. Enhancing Speaking through Board and Table Games in an EFL Classroom. Board and Table Games: A Fun Way to Learn English. Universidad Externado de Colombia. 2018. Available online: https://bdigital.uexternado.edu.co/handle/001/855 (accessed on 5 May 2021).
- Syakur, M.A. The use of board game in teaching speaking to young learners. Engl. Educ. J. Engl. Teach. Res. 2020, 5, 149–155.
- Karasimos, A. #LetMeepleTalk: Using board games for EFL preschoolers. Res. Pap. Lang. Teach. Learn. 2021, 11, 93–103.
- Bayeck, R.Y. Examining board gameplay and learning: A multidisciplinary review of recent research. Simul. Gaming 2020, 51, 411–431.
- Anggit, W. The Use of Board Game to Improve Students Speaking Skills (A Classroom Action Research for the Eighth Student of MTs Yajri Payaman). 2019. Available online: http://e-repository.perpus.iainsalatiga.ac.id/7955/ (accessed on 5 May 2021).
- Annisa, P.S.M.; Nst, R.D. Comic strips and board game as a media in learning oral language skills for students. Jurnal Darma Agung 2020, 28, 313–327.
- Simbolon, A.; Siregar, P.; Sibuea, E.R. Improving the students’ speaking skills through board games to the tenth grade students of SMA Negeri 2 Padangsidimpuan. Jurnal ESTUPRO 2018, 3, 12–21.
- Arfani, S.; Sulistia, A. Teaching speaking using a “Snake and Ladder” board game: A teacher story. Res. Innov. Lang. Learn. 2019, 2, 65–72.
- Putri, A.A.; Sinaga, T.; Sukirlan, M. The Implementation of Board Games in Improving Students’ Speaking Skill. 2017. Available online: http://digilib.unila.ac.id/id/eprint/30285 (accessed on 24 May 2021).
- Rachmadany, C.D.; Wulyani, A.N.; Astuti, U.P. The Loss board game: A game to improve students’ pronunciation. J-ELLiT J. Engl. Lang. Lit. Teach. 2020, 4, 15–26.
- Maulana, R.A. The Use of Board Game for Improving Students’ English Speaking Ability. The State Institute for Islamic Studies Of Bengkulu. 2019. Available online: http://repository.iainbengkulu.ac.id/2699/ (accessed on 21 May 2021).
- Al-Jawwadah, R.K.; Saputri, T. The effect of board game to increase English vocabulary mastery: Systematic review. Konstruktivisme: Jurnal Pendidikan dan Pembelajaran 2021, 13, 13–24.
- Rayhana Maulidya, F. Improving the Eighth Grade Students’ Speaking Ability by Using Board Game at Smpn 2 Banyuglugur in the 2018/2019 Academic Year. 2019. Available online: http://repository.unmuhjember.ac.id/6756/ (accessed on 12 May 2021).
- Kumalasari, E.; Risnawati Lismayanti, D. Improving students’ speaking ability by using something old something new game. In Proceedings of the 9th UNNES Virtual International Conference on English Language Teaching, Literature, and Transltion (ELTLT), Semarang City, Indonesia, 14–15 November 2020; Volume 1, pp. 148–156.
- Ho, P.V.P.; Thien, N.M.; An, N.T.M.; Vy, N.N.H. The effects of using games on EFL students’ speaking performances. Int. J. Engl. Linguist. 2020, 10, 183–193.
- Pratiwi, F. The effect of Pelajar Go! as a board game to improve student’s speaking skill. Adv. Soc. Sci. Educ. Humanit. Res. 2018, 326, 211–215.
- Hariyanto, H.; Sutarsyah, C.; Sukirlan, M. Improving students’ speaking performance through language board game at the eight grade of SMPIT Permata Bunda. U-JET 2020, 9, 85–94.
- Nuzulia, R.; Kepirianto, C. Reducing student’s English dialogue anxiety in online learning through board game. Lensa: Kajian Kebahasaan Kesusastraan dan Budaya 2020, 10, 263–280.
- Chao, C.Y.; Fan, S.H. The effects of integrating board games into ice-breaking activities in a fifth-grade English class to reduce students’ anxieties. Engl. Lang. Teach. 2020, 13, 40–49.
- Sari, I.P.; Wulandari, E. Developing the “Speak and Go” board game to teach speaking for grade VIII students of junior high school. Engl. Lang. Teach. J. 2018, 7, 165–170.
- Dewi, H.A. The implementation of board games in teaching speaking for tenth graders in senior high school. RETAIN Res. Engl. Lang. Teach. Indones. 2021, 9, 45–52.