- Please check and comment entries here.
Cyber and Offline Dating Abuse
The increasing use of information and communication technologies (ICT) and networking has promoted the occurrence of different forms of victimization, specifically in terms of interpersonal interaction (e.g., cyberbullying or online risk-taking behaviour), which also includes cyber dating abuse (CDA). Some studies report that CDA is an extension of offline dating abuse (ODA).
2. Prevalence of Dating Abuse
3. ConclusionsWe provide some enlightenment of the relationship between ODA and CDA and could be of explicit importance to improve the design of prevention strategies and intervention policies in this context, particularly attending to the role of official authorities and specific legislation in this field. Accordingly, it becomes increasingly necessary to integrate ICT knowledge into dating violence prevention programs in schools, but also to integrate all dating violence-related issues into broader programs that aim to reduce all forms of cyber aggression at an official level, which may also involve public recreational spaces.
The demonstrated co-occurrence of CDA and ODA signals the importance of necessary additional strategies at the institutional level to encourage a more cautious use of ICT, aiming to prevent specific situations between dating partners that are able to trigger the reported abusive behaviours.
The entry is from 10.3390/bs10100152
- Burke, S.C.; Wallen, M.; Vail-Smith, K.; Knox, D. Using technology to control intimate partners: An exploratory study of college undergraduates. Comput. Hum. Behav. 2011, 27, 1162–1167.
- Mosley, M.A.; Lancaster, M. Affection and abuse: Technology use in adolescent romantic relationships. Am. J. Fam. Ther. 2019, 47, 52–66.
- Borrajo, E. Cyber dating abuse and relational variables. In Adolescent Dating Violence: Outcomes, Challenges and Digital Tools; Caridade, S., Dinis, A.M., Eds.; Nova Science Publishers: Hauppauge, NY, USA, 2020; pp. 49–72.
- Vale, A.; Pereira, F.; Matos, M. Adolescent digital dating abuse and cyberbullying. In Adolescent Dating Violence: Outcomes, Challenges and Digital Tools; Caridade, S., Dinis, A.M., Eds.; Nova Science Publishers: Hauppauge, NY, USA, 2020; pp. 89–112.
- Neves, S.; Forte, A.; Pereira, M.; Castro, A. Sexting and dating violence in Portugal: Framing knowledge, evidences, consequences and impacts. In Adolescent Dating Violence: Outcomes, Challenges and Digital Tools; Caridade, S., Dinis, A.M., Eds.; Nova Science Publishers: Hauppauge, NY, USA, 2020; pp. 73–88.
- Caridade, S.; Dinis, A. Adolescent Dating Violence: Outcomes, Preventive Practices and Further Challenges. In Adolescent Dating Violence: Outcomes, Challenges and Digital Tools; Caridade, S., Dinis, A.M., Eds.; Nova Science Publishers: Hauppauge, NY, USA, 2020; pp. 1–18.
- Caridade, S.; Ataíde, I.; Dinis, A. Cyber dating abuse victimization and association with offline dating violence. In Victims of Violence: Support, Challenges and Outcomes; Knudsen, M.L., Ed.; Nova Science Publishers: Hauppauge, NY, USA, 2020; pp. 231–250.
- Zweig, J.M.; Lachman, P.; Yahner, J.; Dank, M. Correlates of cyber dating abuse among teens. J. Youth Adolesc. 2014, 43, 1306–1321.
- Bennett, D.C.; Guran, E.L.; Ramos, M.C.; Margolin, G. College students’ electronic victimization in friendships and dating relationships: Anticipated distress and associations with risky behaviors. Violence Vict. 2011, 26, 410–429.
- Gámez-Guadix, M.; Borrajo, E.; Calvete, E. Abuso, control y violencia en la pareja através de internet y los smartphones: Características, evaluación y prevención [Partner abuse, control and violence through internet and smartphones: Characteristics, evaluation and prevention]. Pap. Psicólogo 2018, 39.
- Watkins, L.E.; Maldonado, R.C.; DiLillo, D. The cyber aggression in relationships scale: A new multidimensional measure of technology-based intimate partner aggression. Assessment 2018, 25, 608–626.
- Borrajo, E.; Gámez-Guadix, M.; Pereda, N.; Calvete, E. The development and validation of the cyber dating abuse questionnaire among young couples. Comput. Hum. Behav. 2015, 48, 358–365.
- Cava, M.-J.; Buelga, S. Propiedades psicométricas de la Escala de Ciber-Violencia en Parejas Adolescentes (Cib-VPA) [Psychometric properties of the Cyber-Violence Scale in Adolescent Couples (Cib-VPA)]. Suma Psicológica 2018, 25, 51–61.
- Villora, B.; Yubero, S.; Navarro, R. Cyber dating abuse and masculine gender norms in a sample of male adults. Future Internet 2019, 11, 84.
- Caridade, S.M.; Braga, T. Versão portuguesa do Cyber Dating Abuse Questionaire (CDAQ)—Questionário sobre Ciberabuso no Namoro (CibAN): Adaptação e propriedades psicométricas [Portuguese Version of Cyber Dating Abuse Questionaire (CDAQ)—Dating Cyberabuse Questionnaire (CibAN): Adaptation and Psychometric Properties]. Análise Psicológica 2019, 37, 93–105.
- Cava, M.J.; Buelga, S.; Carrascosa, L.; Ortega-Baron, J. Relations among romantic myths, offline dating violence victimization and cyber dating violence victimization in adolescents. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 2020, 17, 1551.
- Cava, M.-J.; Martínez-Ferrer, B.; Buelga, S.; Carrascosa, L. Sexist attitudes, romantic myths, and offline dating violence as predictors of cyber dating violence perpetration in adolescents. Comput. Hum. Behav. 2020, 111, 106449.
- Caridade, S.; Braga, T.; Borrajo, E. Cyber dating abuse (CDA): Evidence from a systematic review. Aggress. Violent Behav. 2019, 48, 152–168.
- Brown, C.; Hegarty, K. Digital dating abuse measures: A critical review. Aggress. Violent Behav. 2018, 40, 44–59.
- Stonard, K.E.; Bowen, E.; Walker, K.; Price, S.A. “They’ll always find a way to get to you”: Technology use in adolescent romantic relationships and its role in dating violence and abuse. J. Interpers. Violence 2017, 32, 2083–2117.
- Peskin, M.F.; Markham, C.M.; Shegog, R.; Temple, J.R.; Baumler, E.R.; Addy, R.C.; Hernandez, B.; Cuccaro, P.; Gabay, E.K.; Thiel, M.; et al. Prevalence and correlates of the perpetration of cyber dating abuse among early adolescents. J. Youth Adolesc. 2017, 46, 358–375.
- Flach, R.; Deslandes, S. Cyber dating abuse in affective and sexual relationships: A literature review. Rep. Public Health 2017, 33, e00138516.
- Morelli, M.; Bianchi, D.; Chirumbolo, A.; Baiocco, R. The cyber dating violence inventory. Validation of a new scale for online perpetration and victimization among dating partners. Eur. J. Dev. Psychol. 2017, 15, 464–471.
- Reed, L.A.; Tolman, R.M.; Ward, L.M. Gender matters: Experiences and consequences of digital dating abuse victimization in adolescent dating relationships. J. Adolesc. 2017, 59, 79–89.
- Straus, M.A. Prevalence of violence against dating partners by male and female university students worldwide. Violence Women 2016, 10, 790–811.
- Muñoz-Rivas, M.J.; Graña, J.L.; O’Leary, K.D.; González, M.P. Aggression in adolescent dating relationships: Prevalence, justification, and health consequences. J. Adolesc. Health 2007, 40, 298–304.
- Gámez-Guadix, M.; Orue, I.; Smith, P.K. Longitudinal and reciprocal relations of cyberbullying with depression, substance use, and problematic. Internet use among adolescentes. J. Adolesc. Health 2013, 53, 446–452.
- Rodríguez-Domínguez, C.; Durán Segura, M.; Martínez-Pecino, R. Ciberagresores en el noviazgo adolescente y su relación con la violencia psicológica, el sexismo y los celos [Cyber aggressor in dating relationships and its relation with psychological violence, sexism, and jealousy]. Health Addict. 2018, 18, 17.
- Fernandez-Fuertes, A.A.; Fuertes, A. Physical and psychological aggression in dating relationships of Spanish adolescents: Motives and consequences. Child. Abus. Negl. 2010, 34, 183–191.
- Sunday, S.; Kline, M.; Labruna, V.; Pelcovitz, D.; Salzinger, S.; Kaplan, S. The role of adolescent physical abuse in adult intimate partner violence. J. Interpers. Violence 2011, 26, 3773–3789.
- Santos, R.; Caridade, S. Vivências amorosas em adolescentes: Das dinâmicas abusivas ao (des)ajustamento psicossocial [Adolescents intimate relationships: From abusive dynamics to (de) psychosocial adjustment]. Rev. Psique 2017, 13, 18–39.
- Van Ouytsel, J.; Ponnet, K.; Walrave, M. Cyber Dating Abuse Victimization Among Secondary School Students from a Lifestyle-Routine Activities Theory Perspective. J. Interpers. Violence 2018, 33, 2767–2776.
- Gracia-Leiva, M.; Puente-Martínez, A.; Ubillos-Landa, S. Off and online heterosexual dating violence, perceived attachment to parents and peers and suicide risk in young women. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 2020, 17, 3174.
- Zweig, J.M.; Dank, M.; Yahner, J.; Lachman, P. The rate of cyber dating abuse among teens and how it relates to other forms of teen dating violence. J. Youth Adolesc. 2013, 42, 1063–1077.
- Francis, L.; Pearson, D. The recognition of emotional abuse: Adolescents’ responses to warning signs in romantic relationships. J. Interpers. Violence 2019, 1–25.
- Borrajo, E.; Gamez-Guadix, M.; Calvete, E. Cyber dating abuse: Prevalence, context, and relationship with offline dating aggression. Psychol. Rep. 2015, 116, 565–585.
- Marganski, A.; Melander, L. Intimate Partner Violence Victimization in the Cyber and Real World: Examining the Extent of Cyber Aggression Experiences and Its Association With In-Person Dating Violence. J. Interpers. Violence 2018, 33, 1071–1095.
- Zapor, H.; Wolford-Clevenger, C.; Elmquist, J.; Febres, J.; Shorey, R.C.; Brasfield, H.; Leisring, P.A.; Stuart, G.L. Psychological Aggression Committed Through Technology: A Study With Dating College Students. Partn. Abus. 2017, 8, 127–145.
- Temple, J.R.; Choi, H.J.; Brem, M.; Wolford-Clevenger, C.; Stuart, G.L.; Peskin, M.F.; Elmquist, J. The temporal association between traditional and cyber Dating Abuse Among Adolescents. J. Youth Adoles. 2016, 45, 340–349.
- Schnurr, M.; Mahatmya, D.; Basche, R. The role of dominance, cyber aggression perpetration, and gender on emerging adults’ perpetration of intimate partner violence. Psych. Violence 2013, 3, 70–83.
- Korchmaros, J.D.; Ybarra, M.L.; Langhinrichsen-Rohling, J.; Boyd, J.; Lenhart, A. Perpetration of teen dating violence in a networked society. Cyberpsychol. Behav. Soc. Netw. 2013, 16, 561–567.
- Borrajo, R.; Gámex-Guadix, M.; Calvete, E. Justification beliefs of violence, myths about love and cyber dating abuse. Psicothema 2015, 27, 327–333.