- Please check and comment entries here.
Resilient Scheduling and Construction Projects
Resilient schedules are defined by their multidimensionality: they tend to be robust, flexible, and adaptable. Previous studies in construction scheduling have predominantly focused on the robustness aspect, which is already a complex concept. On the one hand, robustness depicts the insensitivity of objective function in the optimization model, may it be project minimization or NPV maximization, for example; on the other hand, it tends to minimize the deviations between baseline schedule and realized state.
Complex construction projects are developed in a dynamic environment, where uncertainty conditions have a great potential to affect project deliverables. In an attempt to efficiently deal with the negative impacts of uncertainty, resilient baseline schedules are produced to improve the probability of reaching project goals, such as respecting the due date and reaching the expected profit. Prior to introducing the resilient scheduling procedure, a taxonomy model was built to account for uncertainty sources in construction projects. Thence, a multi-objective optimization model is presented to manage the impact of uncertainty. This approach can be described as a complex trade-off analysis between three important features of a construction project: duration, stability, and profit. The result of the suggested procedure is presented in a form of a resilient baseline schedule, so the ability of a schedule to absorb uncertain perturbations is improved. The proposed optimization problem is illustrated on the example project network, along which the probabilistic simulation method was used to validate the results of the scheduling process in uncertain conditions. The proposed resilient scheduling approach leads to more accurate forecasting, so the project planning calculations are accepted with increased confidence levels.
2. Resilient Schedules
The entry is from 10.3390/app11146493
- Derbe, G.; Li, Y.; Wu, D.; Zhao, Q. Scientometric review of construction project schedule studies: Trends, gaps and potential research areas. J. Civ. Eng. Manag. 2020, 26, 343–363.
- Faghihi, V.; Nejat, A.; Reinschmidt, K.F.; Kang, J.H. Automation in construction scheduling: A review of the literature. Int. J. Adv. Manuf. Technol. 2015, 81, 1845–1856.
- Cajzek, R.; Klanšek, U. Cost optimization of project schedules under constrained resources and alternative production processes by mixed-integer nonlinear programming. Eng. Constr. Archit. Manag. 2019, 26, 2474–2508.
- García-Nieves, J.; Ponz-Tienda, J.; Ospina-Alvarado, A.; Bonilla-Palacios, M. Multipurpose linear programming optimization model for repetitive activities scheduling in construction projects. Autom. Constr. 2019, 105, 102799.
- Zou, X.; Fang, S.; Huang, Y.; Zhang, L. Mixed-Integer Linear Programming Approach for Scheduling Repetitive Projects with Time-Cost Trade-Off Consideration. J. Comput. Civ. Eng. 2017, 31, 06016003.
- Klanšek, U. Mixed-Integer Nonlinear Programming Model for Nonlinear Discrete Optimization of Project Schedules under Restricted Costs. J. Constr. Eng. Manag. 2016, 142, 04015088.
- Liu, Z.; Zhang, Y.; Yu, M.; Zhou, X. Heuristic algorithm for ready-mixed concrete plant scheduling with multiple mixers. Autom. Constr. 2017, 84, 1–13.
- Sonmez, R.; Iranagh, M.; Uysal, F. Critical Sequence Crashing Heuristic for Resource-Constrained Discrete Time–Cost Trade-Off Problem. J. Constr. Eng. Manag. 2016, 142, 04015090.
- Li, H.; Xu, Z.; Demeulemeester, E. Scheduling Policies for the Stochastic Resource Leveling Problem. J. Constr. Eng. Manag. 2015, 141, 04014072.
- Tran, D.; Chou, J.; Luong, D. Multi-objective symbiotic organisms optimization for making time-cost tradeoffs in repetitive project scheduling problem. J. Civ. Eng. Manag. 2019, 25, 322–339.
- Agdas, D.; Warne, D.; Osio-Norgaard, J.; Masters, F. Utility of Genetic Algorithms for Solving Large-Scale Construction Time-Cost Trade-Off Problems. J. Comput. Civ. Eng. 2018, 32, 04017072.
- Aminbakhsh, S.; Sonmez, R. Pareto Front Particle Swarm Optimizer for Discrete Time-Cost Trade-Off Problem. J. Comput. Civ. Eng. 2017, 31, 04016040.
- Sroka, B.; Rosłon, J.; Podolski, M.; Bożejko, W.; Burduk, A.; Wodecki, M. Profit optimization for multi-mode repetitive construction project with cash flows using metaheuristics. Arch. Civ. Mech. Eng. 2021, 21, 1–17.
- Tao, S.; Wu, C.; Hu, S.; Xu, F. Construction project scheduling under workspace interference. Comput.-Aided Civ. Infrastruct. Eng. 2020, 35, 923–946.
- Amer, F.; Koh, H.; Golparvar-Fard, M. Automated Methods and Systems for Construction Planning and Scheduling: Critical Review of Three Decades of Research. J. Constr. Eng. Manag. 2021, 147, 03121002.
- ElMenshawy, M.; Marzouk, M. Automated BIM schedule generation approach for solving time–cost trade-off problems. Eng. Constr. Archit. Manag. 2021. Epub ahead of printing.
- Wang, Z.; Azar, E.R. BIM-based draft schedule generation in reinforced concrete-framed buildings. Constr. Innov. 2019, 19, 280–294.
- Abbasi, S.; Taghizade, K.; Noorzai, E. BIM-Based Combination of Takt Time and Discrete Event Simulation for Implementing Just in Time in Construction Scheduling under Constraints. J. Constr. Eng. Manag. 2020, 146, 04020143.
- Dasović, B.; Galić, M.; Klanšek, U. A Survey on Integration of Optimization and Project Management Tools for Sustainable Construction Scheduling. Sustainability 2020, 12, 3405.
- Nusen, P.; Boonyung, W.; Nusen, S.; Panuwatwanich, K.; Champrasert, P.; Kaewmoracharoen, M. Construction Planning and Scheduling of a Renovation Project Using BIM-Based Multi-Objective Genetic Algorithm. Appl. Sci. 2021, 11, 4716.
- Xie, L.; Chen, Y.; Chang, R. Scheduling Optimization of Prefabricated Construction Projects by Genetic Algorithm. Appl. Sci. 2021, 11, 5531.
- Wang, H.; Lin, J.; Zhang, J. Work package-based information modeling for resource-constrained scheduling of construction projects. Autom. Constr. 2020, 109, 102958.
- Sbiti, M.; Beddiar, K.; Beladjine, D.; Perrault, R.; Mazari, B. Toward BIM and LPS Data Integration for Lean Site Project Management: A State-of-the-Art Review and Recommendations. Buildings 2021, 11, 196.
- Perminova, O.; Gustafsson, M.; Wikström, K. Defining uncertainty in projects—A new perspective. Int. J. Proj. Manag. 2008, 26, 73–79.
- Project Management Institute. Construction Extension to the PMBOK Guide; Project Management Institute, Inc.: Newtown Square, PA, USA, 2016; pp. 29–30.
- Ahmad, Z.; Thaheem, M.; Maqsoom, A. Building information modeling as a risk transformer: An evolutionary insight into the project uncertainty. Autom. Constr. 2018, 92, 103–119.
- Badran, D.; AlZubaidi, R.; Venkatachalam, S. BIM based risk management for design bid build (DBB) design process in the United Arab Emirates: A conceptual framework. Int. J. Syst. Assur. Eng. Manag. 2020, 11, 1339–1361.
- Xiong, J.; Chen, Y.; Zhou, Z. Resilience analysis for project scheduling with renewable resource constraint and uncertain activity durations. J. Ind. Manag. Optim. 2016, 12, 719–737.
- Yeganeh, F.T.; Zegordi, S.H. A multi-objective optimization approach to project scheduling with resiliency criteria under uncertain activity duration. Ann. Oper. Res. 2020, 285, 161–196.
- Milat, M.; Knezic, S.; Sedlar, J. A new surrogate measure for resilient approach to construction scheduling. Proc. Comp. Sci. 2021, 181, 468–476.
- Zhao, M.; Wang, X.; Yu, J.; Xue, L.; Yang, S. A construction schedule robustness measure based on improved prospect theory and the Copula-CRITIC method. Appl. Sci. 2020, 10, 2013.
- Zhao, M.; Wang, X.; Yu, J.; Bi, L.; Xiao, Y.; Zhang, J. Optimization of Construction Duration and Schedule Robustness Based on Hybrid Grey Wolf Optimizer with Sine Cosine Algorithm. Energies 2020, 13, 2015.
- Chapman, C.; Ward, S. Project Risk Management: Processes, Techniques and Insights, 2nd ed.; John Wiley & Sons Ltd.: Chichester, UK, 2003; pp. 1–15.
- Zhang, J.; El-Diraby, T.E. Social semantic approach to support communication in AEC. Int. J. Proj. Manag. 2012, 26, 90–104.
- Elghamrawy, T.; Boukamp, F.; Kim, H.S. Ontology-based, semi-automatic framework for storing and retrieving on-site construction problem information—An RFID-based case study. In Proceedings of the Construction Research Congress 2009: Building a Sustainable Future, Seattle, WA, USA, 5–7 April 2009.
- Tah, J.H.M.; Carr, V. Knowledge-based approach to construction project risk management. J. Comput. Civ. Eng. 2001, 15, 170–177.
- Tserng, H.P.; Yin, Y.L.S.; Dzeng, R.J.; Wou, B.; Tsai, M.D.; Chen, W.Y. A study of ontology-based risk management framework of construction projects through project life cycle. Autom. Constr. 2009, 18, 994–1008.
- Ding, L.Y.; Zhong, B.T.; Wu, S.; Luo, H.B. Construction risk knowledge management in BIM using ontology and semantic web technology. Saf. Sci. 2016, 87, 202–213.
- El-Diraby, T.A.; Lima, C.; Feis, B. Domain taxonomy for construction concepts: Toward a formal ontology for construction knowledge. J. Comput. Civ. Eng. 2005, 19, 394–406.
- Costa, R.; Lima, C.; Sarraipa, J. Facilitating knowledge sharing and reuse in building and construction domain: An ontology-based approach. J. Intell. Manuf. 2016, 27, 263–282.
- Niu, J.; Issa, R.R.A. Developing taxonomy for the domain ontology of construction contractual semantics: A case study on the AIA A201 document. Adv. Eng. Inform. 2015, 29, 472–482.
- Fidan, G.; Dikmen, I.; Tanyer, M.A.; Birgonul, T.M. Ontology for relating risk and vulnerability to cost overrun in international projects. J. Comput. Civ. Eng. 2011, 25, 302–315.
- Zhang, L.; Issa, R.R.A. Ontology-based partial building information model extraction. J. Comput. Civ. Eng. 2013, 27, 576–584.
- Baudrit, C.; Taillandier, F.; Tran, T.T.P.; Breysse, D. Uncertainty processing and risk monitoring in construction projects using hierarchical probabilistic relational models. Comp. Aid. Civ. Inf. Eng. 2019, 34, 97–115.
- Jiang, S.; Wang, N.; Wu, J. Combining BIM and ontology to facilitate intelligent green building evaluation. J. Comput. Civ. Eng. 2018, 32.
- Xing, X.; Zhong, B.; Luo, H.; Lic, H.; Wu, H. Ontology for safety risk identification in metro construction. Comp. Ind. 2019, 109, 14–30.
- Zhong, B.; Li, H.; Luo, H.; Zhou, J.; Fang, W.; Xing, X. Ontology-based semantic modeling of knowledge in construction: Classification and identification of hazards implied in images. J. Constr. Eng. Manag. 2020, 146, 04020013.
- Zhong, B.; Gan, C.; Luo, H.; Xing, X. Ontology-based framework for building environmental monitoring and compliance checking under BIM environment. Build. Environ. 2018, 141, 127–142.
- Elazouni, A.M.; Metwally, F.G. Finance-Based Scheduling: Tool to Maximize Project Profit Using Improved Genetic Algorithms. J. Constr. Eng. Manag. 2005, 131, 400–412.
- Fathi, H.; Afshar, A. GA-based multi-objective optimization of finance-based construction project scheduling. KSCE J. Civ. Eng. 2010, 14, 627–638.
- El-Abbasy, M.; Elazouni, A.; Zayed, T. Finance-based scheduling multi-objective optimization: Benchmarking of evolutionary algorithms. Autom. Constr. 2020, 120, 103392.