- Please check and comment entries here.
Polymer Nanocomposites for Mechanical Properties
Nanoscience paves new avenues in the field of the scientific community as well as industry. In the case of civil engineering, a substantial interest can be observed in nano-sized materials, such as nano-silica powder, nanofibers, and nanotubes intended for structural applications. Nanofibers and nanotubes are used to introduce nano-reinforcements in polymer matrices that enable a decrease in the required amount of steel reinforcement and reduce corrosion problems affecting engineering structures.
Epoxy resins, due to their high stiffness, ease of processing, good heat, and chemical resistance obtained from cross-linked structures, have found applications in electronics, adhesives coatings, industrial tooling, and aeronautic and automotive industries. These resins are inherently brittle, which has limited their further application. The emphasis of this study is to improve the properties of the epoxy resin with a low-concentration (up to 0.4% by weight) addition of Multi-Walled Carbon Nanotubes (MWCNTs). Mechanical characterization of the modified composites was conducted to study the effect of MWCNTs infusion in the epoxy resin. Nanocomposites samples showed significantly higher tensile strength and fracture toughness compared to pure epoxy samples. The morphological studies of the modified composites were studied using Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM).
The entry is from 10.3390/molecules26144135
- Shokrieh, M.M.; Saeedi, A.; Chitsazzadeh, M. Mechanical properties of multi-walled carbon nanotube/polyester nanocomposites. J. Nanostructure Chem. 2013, 3, 20.
- Haradanahalli, M.; Raghavan, B. Structured Lifing Approach to Fretting Fatigue of Ti-6Al-4V with Variable Initiation Length. In Proceedings of the 50th AIAA/ASME/ASCE/AHS/ASC Structures, Structural Dynamics, and Materials Conference 17th AIAA/ASME/AHS Adaptive Structures Conference 11th AIAA No 2009, Palm Springs, CA, USA, 4–7 May 2009; p. 2628.
- de Paiva, J.M.F.; De Nadai, A. Investigation of Carbon Composites Subjected to Different Environmental Conditions. Mater. Res. 2009, 12, 367–374.
- Paiva, J.M.; Santos, A.D.; Rezende, M.C. Mechanical and morphological characterizations of carbon fiber fabric reinforced epoxy composites used in the aeronautical field. Mater. Res. 2009, 12, 367–374.
- Ogasawara, T.; Ishida, Y.; Kasai, T. Mechanical properties of carbon fiber/fullerene-dispersed epoxy composites. Compos. Sci. Technol. 2009, 69, 2002–2007.
- Ma, P.C.; Siddiqui, N.A.; Marom, G.; Kim, J.K. Dispersion and functionalization of carbon nanotubes for polymer-based nanocomposites: A review. Compos. Part A Appl. Sci. Manuf. 2010, 41, 1345–1367.
- Afzal, A.; Kausar, A.; Siddiq, M. Technical relevance of polymer/cement/carbon nanotube composite: Opportunities and challenges. Polym.-Plast. Technol. Eng. 2016, 55, 1743–1764.
- Tekinalp, H.L.; Kunc, V.; Velez-Garcia, G.M.; Duty, C.E.; Love, L.J.; Naskar, A.K.; Blue, C.A.; Ozcan, S. Highly oriented carbon fiber–polymer composites via additive manufacturing. Compos. Sci. Technol. 2014, 105, 144–150.
- Garg, P.; Singh, B.P.; Kumar, G.; Gupta, T.; Pandey, I.; Seth, R.K.; Tandon, R.P.; Mathur, R.B. Effect of dispersion conditions on the mechanical properties of multi-walled carbon nanotubes based epoxy resin composites. J. Polym. Res. 2011, 18, 1397–1407.
- Demircan, Ö.; Çolak, P.; Kadıoğlu, K.; Günaydın, E.; Demircan, O.; Çolak, P.; Kadıoğlu, K.; Gunaydın, E. Flexural properties of glass fiber/epoxy/MWCNT composites. Res. Eng. Struct. Mater. 2019, 5, 91–98.
- Her, S.C.; Chien, P.C. Mode II Interfacial Fracture Toughness of Multi-Walled Carbon Nanotubes Reinforced Nanocomposite Film on Aluminum Substrate. Nanomaterials 2020, 10, 904.
- Vahedi, F.; Shahverdi, H.R.; Shokrieh, M.M.; Esmkhani, M. Effects of carbon nanotube content on the mechanical and electrical properties of epoxy-based composites. New Carbon Mater. 2014, 29, 419–425.
- Vahedi, F.; Shahverdi, H.R.; Shokrieh, M.M.; Esmkhani, M. Effects of carbon nanotube content on the mechanical and electrical properties of epoxy-based composites. Carbon 2015, 85, 455.
- Mičušík, M.; Omastová, M.; Krupa, I.; Prokeš, J.; Pissis, P.; Logakis, E.; Pandis, C.; Pötschke, P.; Pionteck, J. A comparative study on the electrical and mechanical behaviour of multi-walled carbon nanotube composites prepared by diluting a masterbatch with various types of polypropylenes. J. Appl. Polym. Sci. 2009, 113, 2536–2551.
- Dalina, W.W.; Tan, S.H.; Mariatti, M. Properties of fiberglass/MWCNT buckypaper/epoxy laminated composites. Procedia Chem. 2016, 19, 935–942.
- Tariq, F.; Shifa, M.; Baloch, R.A. Mechanical and thermal properties of multi-scale carbon nanotubes–carbon fiber–epoxy composite. Arab. J. Sci. Eng. 2018, 43, 5937–5948.
- Gantayat, S.; Rout, D.; Swain, S.K. Mechanical properties of functionalized multiwalled carbon nanotube/epoxy nanocomposites. Mater. Today Proc. 2017, 4, 4061–4064.
- Gantayat, S.; Rout, D.; Swain, S.K. Structural and electrical properties of functionalized multiwalled carbon nanotube/epoxy composite. In Proceedings of the AIP Conference Proceedings, Indianapolis, Indiana, 23–25 May 2016; Volume 1731, p. 050113.
- Zabihi, O.; Ahmadi, M.; Naebe, M. One-pot synthesis of aminated multi-walled carbon nanotube using thiol-ene click chemistry for improvement of epoxy nanocomposites properties. RSC Adv. 2015, 5, 98692–98699.
- Jin, Y.; Zhang, Y.; Zhang, Q.; Zhang, R.; Li, P.; Qian, W.; Wei, F. Multi-walled carbon nanotube-based carbon/carbon composites with three-dimensional network structures. Nanoscale 2013, 5, 6181–6186.