- Please check and comment entries here.
Global Action on SDGs
The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development provided brand new goals and action targets for human well-being and development, but the COVID-19 pandemic has cast a shadow on the implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). It is therefore essential to provide a reference for making policy adjustments and transformations to promote the realization of SDGs in the post-pandemic era. Based on a literature review of the progress and policies of SDGs across countries worldwide, we find that research on sustainable policies has rapidly increased since the SDGs issued in 2015 with particular focuses on eco-environment, sustainable policies, green economy, sanitation and health, and water sanitation. Most countries are in the process of nationalization, institutionalization, and universalization of the SDGs through incorporating the SDGs into national development frameworks, enabling extensive participation and negotiation mechanisms, and promoting the SDGs’ national publicity. Countries of different economic and institutional backgrounds demonstrate divergent development pathways, priorities, measures, and progress in the implementation of SDGs.
2. Bibliometric Analysis
|Subject Terms (Title + Keywords)||Occurrence Year||Number of Articles|
|sustainable development plan||1995||5|
|achieving sustainable development||1996||5|
|sustainable development policy||1997||31|
|sustainable rural development||2003||3|
|sustainable urban development||2005||9|
|sustainable development planning||2006||9|
|sustainable energy development||2011||4|
|sustainable development goal||2016||40|
3. Policy Review of Different Countries to Implement the SDGs
3.1. OECD Countries
3.2. BRICS Countries
3.3. Least Developed Countries (LDCs)
The entry is from 10.3390/su13116461
- Stafford-Smith, M.; Griggs, D.; Gaffney, O.; Ullah, F.; Reyers, B.; Kanie, N.; Stigson, B.; Shrivastava, P.; Leach, M.; O’Connell, D. Integration: The key to implementing the sustainable development goals. Sustain. Sci. 2017, 12, 911–919.
- Salvia, A.L.; Leal, W.; Brandli, L.L.; Griebeler, J.S. Assessing research trends related to sustainable development goals: Local and global issues. J. Clean. Prod. 2019, 208, 841–849.
- Rosati, F.; Faria, L.G. Addressing the SDGs in sustainability reports: The relationship with institutional factors. J. Clean. Prod. 2019, 215, 1312–1326.
- Fortunski, B. Sustainable development and energy policy: Actual CO2 emissions in the european union in the years 1997–2017, considering trade with china and the USA. Sustainability 2020, 12, 10.
- Srinivas, R.; Singh, A.P.; Shankar, D. Understanding the threats and challenges concerning ganges river basin for effective policy recommendations towards sustainable development. Environ. Dev. Sustain. 2020, 22, 3655–3690.
- Azevedo, S.G.; Sequeira, T.; Santos, M.; Nikuma, D. Climate change and sustainable development: The case of amazonia and policy implications. Environ. Sci. Pollut. Res. 2020, 27, 7745–7756.
- Liang, Y.T.; Zhou, Z.K.; Li, X. Dynamic of regional planning and sustainable development in the pearl river delta, china. Sustainability 2019, 11, 17.
- Priyadarshini, P.; Abhilash, P.C. Exploring the ‘safe operating space’ of india for the implementation of un-sustainable development goals through effectual policy alignment. Sustain. Sci. 2020, 15, 1149–1168.
- Saunders, W.S.A.; Kelly, S.; Paisley, S.; Clarke, L.B. Progress toward implementing the sendai framework, the paris agreement, and the sustainable development goals: Policy from aotearoa new zealand. Int. J. Disaster Risk Sci. 2020, 11, 190–205.
- Dhakal, S.P.; Burgess, J. Decent work for sustainable development inpost-crisisnepal: Social policy challenges and a way forward. Soc. Policy Adm. 2021, 15, 128–142.
- Harris, P.; Riley, E.; Dawson, A.; Friel, S.; Lawson, K. “Stop talking around projects and talk about solutions”: Positioning health within infrastructure policy to achieve the sustainable development goals. Health Policy 2020, 124, 591–598.
- Elavarasan, R.M.; Pugazhendhi, R.; Jamal, T.; Dyduch, J.; Arif, M.T.; Kumar, N.M.; Shafiullah, G.; Chopra, S.S.; Nadarajah, M. Envisioning the UN sustainable development goals (SDGs) through the lens of energy sustainability (SDG 7) in the post-covid-19 world. Appl. Energy 2021, 292, 116665.
- Chae, Y.; Choi, S.H.; Kim, Y.J. Climate change policy implications of sustainable development pathways in korea at sub-national scale. Sustainability 2020, 12, 18.
- WB. June 2020 Global Economic Prospects; WB: Washington, DC, USA, 2020.
- Ghebreyesus. Impact of Coronavirus Will Be Felt for Decades to Come. Available online: (accessed on 1 May 2021).
- Naidoo, R.; Fisher, B. Reset sustainable development goals for a pandemic world. Nature 2020, 583, 198–201.
- Davalos, L.M.; Austin, R.M.; Balisi, M.A.; Begay, R.L.; Hofman, C.A.; Kemp, M.E.; Lund, J.R.; Monroe, C.; Mychajliw, A.M.; Nelson, E.A.; et al. Pandemics’ historical role in creating inequality. Science 2020, 368, 1322–1323.
- Valensisi, G. Covid-19 and global poverty: Are ldcs being left behind? Eur. J. Dev. Res. 2020, 32, 1535–1557.
- Laborde, D.; Martin, W.; Swinnen, J.; Vos, R. Covid-19 risks to global food security. Science 2020, 369, 500–502.
- Stephens, E.C.; Martin, G.; van Wijk, M.; Timsina, J.; Snow, V. Editorial: Impacts of COVID-19 on agricultural and food systems worldwide and on progress to the sustainable development goals. Agric. Syst. 2020, 183, 102873.
- Parikh, P.; Diep, L.; Gupte, J.; Lakhanpaul, M. Covid-19 challenges and wash in informal settlements: Integrated action supported by the sustainable development goals. Cities 2020, 107, 102871.
- McCleery, R.A.; Fletcher, R.J.; Kruger, L.M.; Govender, D.; Ferreira, S.M. Conservation needs a covid-19 bailout. Science 2020, 369, 515–516.
- United Nations. The Sustainable Development Goals Report 2020; UN: New York, NY, USA, 2020.
- Von Stechow, C.; Minx, J.C.; Riahi, K.; Jewell, J.; McCollum, D.L.; Callaghan, M.W.; Bertram, C.; Luderer, G.; Baiocchi, G. 2 degrees c and SDGs: United they stand, divided they fall? Environ. Res. Lett. 2016, 11, 034022.
- Rayman-Bacchus, L.; Radavoi, C.N. Advancing culture’s role in sustainable development: Social change through cultural policy. Int. J. Cult. Policy 2020, 26, 649–667.
- United Nations. Transforming Our World: The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. Available online: (accessed on 1 May 2021).
- European Commission. Sustainable Development: EU Sets out Its Priorities; EU: Strasbourg, France, 2016.
- Government UK. Agenda 2030:The UK Government’s Approach to Delivering the Global Goals for Sustainable Development—At Home and Around the World; Government UK: London, UK, 2017.
- Boto-Alvarez, A.; Garcia-Fernandez, R. Implementation of the 2030 agenda sustainable development goals in spain. Sustainability 2020, 12, 2546.
- Government Sweden. Sweden and the 2030 Agenda: Report to the UN High Level Political Forum 2017 on Sustainable Development; Government Sweden: Stockholm, Sweden, 2017.
- Government UK. Voluntary National Review of Progress towards the Sustainable Development Goals of United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland; Government UK: London, UK, 2019.
- Jeffrey, D.S.; Lynch, A.; LoPresti, A.; Fox, C. Sustainable Development Report of the United States 2018; SDG USA and Sustainable Development Solutions Network (SDSN): New York, NY, USA, 2018.
- Government Canada. Canada’s Implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, Voluntary National Review; Government Canada: Ottawa, ON, Canada, 2018.
- Government Norway. Initial Steps towards the Implementation of the 2030 Agenda. Voluntary National Review Presented at the High-Level Political Forum on Sustainable Development (hlpf); Government Norway: Oslo, Norway, 2016.
- Government Austria. Austria and the 2030 Agenda Voluntary National Review-Report on the Implementation of the s Ustainable Development Goals; Government Austria: Vienna, Austria, 2020.
- Government Germany. Report of the German Federal Government to the High-Level Political Forum on Sustainable Development 2016; Government Germany: Berlin, Germany, 2016.
- Government Switzerland. Switzerland Implements the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, Switzerland’s Country Report 2018; Government Switzerland: Bern, Switzerland, 2018.
- Government China. China’s National Plan on Implemention of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development; Government China: Beijing, China, 2016.
- The State Council Information Office of the People’s Republic of China. Poverty Alleviation: China’s Experience and Contribution; The State Council Information Office of the People’s Republic of China: Beijing, China, 2021.
- Government Brazil. Voluntary National Review on the Sustainable Development Goals; Government Brazil: Brasília, Brazil, 2017.
- Government Russia Federation. Voluntary National Review of the Progress Made in the Implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development; Analytical Center for the Government of the Russian Federation: Moscow, Russia, 2020.
- Liu, H.; Fang, C.; Miao, Y.; Ma, H.; Zhang, Q.; Zhou, Q. Spatio-temporal evolution of population and urbanization in the countries along the belt and road 1950–2050. J. Geogr. Sci. 2018, 28, 919–936.
- Government India. India vnr 2020: Decade of Action Taking SDGs from Global to Local; NITI Aayog, Government of India: New Delhi, India, 2020.
- Agency, X.N. Xi Jinping Attended the Opening Ceremony of the “Belt and Road” International Cooperation Summit Forum and Delivered a Keynote Speech; Xinhua News Agency Beijing: Beijing, China, 2017.
- Government Malawi. Malawi 2020 Voluntary National Review Report for Sustainable Development Goals(SDGs); Government Malawi: Lilongwe, Malawi, 2020.
- Government Sierra Leone. 2019 vnr Report on SDGs in Sierra Leone; Government Sierra Leone: Freetown, Sierra Leone, 2019.
- Government Bhutan. Sustainable Development and Happiness: Bhutan’s Voluntary National Review Report on the Implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development; Government Bhutan: Thimphu, Bhutan, 2018.
- Government Zambia. Zambia: Sustainable Development Goals Voluntary National Review 2020; Ministry of National Development Planning: Lusaka, Zambia, 2020.
- Government Turkey. Turkey’s 2nd vnr 2019 Sustainable Development Goals “Strong Ground towards Common Goals”; Government Turkey: Ankara, Turkey, 2019.
- Government Afghanistan. Voluntary National Review at the High Level Political Forum SDGs’ Progress Report: Afghanistan; Government Afghanistan: Kabul, Afghanistan, 2017.
- Government Pakistan. Pakistan’s Implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development Voluntary National Review; Government Pakistan: Islamabad, Pakistan, 2019.
- Government Ethiopia. The 2017 Voluntary National Reviews on SDGs of Ethiopia: Government Commitments, National Ownership and Performancetrends; National Plan Commission, Government Ethiopia: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, 2017.
- Government Bangladesh. Bangladesh Voluntary National Reviews (vnrs) 2020. Accelerated Action and Transformative Pathways: Realizing the Decade of Action and Delivery for Sustainable Development; Government Bangladesh: Dhaka, Bangladesh, 2020.