Chondrocyte Sheets in Hyaline Cartilage Regeneration
Chondrocyte sheets can be created without using material such as animal-derived collagen by using temperature-responsive culture devices such as thermo-responsive polymer grafted culture dishes, where cells can adhere, proliferate, and form into a sheet. Hyaline cartilage regeneration by autologous chondrocyte sheets has already been demonstrated in clinical research. Chondrocyte sheet transplantation is a novel and promising approach to treating patients who have cartilage defects associated with osteoarthritis.
The article has been published on 10.3390/ijms21010149
- Teruo Okano; Noriko Yamada; Hideaki Sakai; Yasuhisa Sakurai; A novel recovery system for cultured cells using plasma-treated polystyrene dishes grafted with poly(N-isopropylacrylamide). Journal of Biomedical Materials Research 1993, 27, 1243-1251, 10.1002/jbm.820271005.
- Teruo Okano; Noriko Yamada; Minako Okuhara; Hideaki Sakai; Yasuhisa Sakurai; Mechanism of cell detachment from temperature-modulated, hydrophilic-hydrophobic polymer surfaces. Biomaterials 1995, 16, 297-303, 10.1016/0142-9612(95)93257-e.
- Nagatoshi Kaneshiro; Masato Sato; Miya Ishihara; Genya Mitani; Hideaki Sakai; Joji Mochida; Bioengineered chondrocyte sheets may be potentially useful for the treatment of partial thickness defects of articular cartilage. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications 2006, 349, 723-731, 10.1016/j.bbrc.2006.08.096.
- Goro Ebihara; Masato Sato; Masayuki Yamato; Genya Mitani; Toshiharu Kutsuna; Toshihiro Nagai; Satoshi Ito; Taku Ukai; Miyuki Kobayashi; Mami Kokubo; et al. Cartilage repair in transplanted scaffold-free chondrocyte sheets using a minipig model. Biomaterials 2012, 33, 3846-3851, 10.1016/j.biomaterials.2012.01.056.
- Satoshi Ito; Masato Sato; Masayuki Yamato; Genya Mitani; Toshiharu Kutsuna; Toshihiro Nagai; Taku Ukai; Miyuki Kobayashi; Mami Kokubo; Teruo Okano; et al. Repair of articular cartilage defect with layered chondrocyte sheets and cultured synovial cells. Biomaterials 2012, 33, 5278-5286, 10.1016/j.biomaterials.2012.03.073.
- Yoshiki Tani; Masato Sato; Miki Maehara; Hiroshi Nagashima; Munetaka Yokoyama; Miyuki Yokoyama; Masayuki Yamato; Teruo Okano; Joji Mochida; The effects of using vitrified chondrocyte sheets on pain alleviation and articular cartilage repair. Journal of Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine 2017, 11, 3437-3444, 10.1002/term.2257.
- Naoki Takatori; Masato Sato; Eriko Toyoda; Takumi Takahashi; Eri Okada; Miki Maehara; Masahiko Watanabe; Cartilage repair and inhibition of the progression of cartilage degeneration after transplantation of allogeneic chondrocyte sheets in a nontraumatic early arthritis model. Regenerative Therapy 2018, 9, 24-31, 10.1016/j.reth.2018.07.003.
- Masato Sato; Masayuki Yamato; Genya Mitani; Tomonori Takagaki; Kosuke Hamahashi; Yoshihiko Nakamura; Miya Ishihara; Ryo Matoba; Hiroyuki Kobayashi; Teruo Okano; et al. Combined surgery and chondrocyte cell-sheet transplantation improves clinical and structural outcomes in knee osteoarthritis.. npj Regenerative Medicine 2019, 4, 4, 10.1038/s41536-019-0069-4.
- Adam B. Yanke; Annemarie K. Tilton; Nathan G. Wetters; David B. Merkow; Brian J. Cole; DeNovo NT Particulated Juvenile Cartilage Implant. Sports Medicine and Arthroscopy Review 2015, 23, 125-129, 10.1097/jsa.0000000000000077.
- Miki Maehara; Masato Sato; Eriko Toyoda; Takumi Takahashi; Eri Okada; Tomomi Kotoku; Masahiko Watanabe; Characterization of polydactyly-derived chondrocyte sheets versus adult chondrocyte sheets for articular cartilage repair.. Inflammation and Regeneration 2017, 37, 22, 10.1186/s41232-017-0053-6.
- Eriko Toyoda; Masato Sato; Takumi Takahashi; Miki Maehara; Eri Okada; Shiho Wasai; Hiroshi Iijima; Ken Nonaka; Yuka Kawaguchi; Masahiko Watanabe; et al. Transcriptomic and Proteomic Analyses Reveal the Potential Mode of Action of Chondrocyte Sheets in Hyaline Cartilage Regeneration. International Journal of Molecular Sciences 2019, 21, 149, 10.3390/ijms21010149.