- Please check and comment entries here.
Sex Disparity in Cancer
Sex- and/or gender-associated differences in cancer incidence, prognosis, response to therapy and, eventually, survival have been fully reported with epidemiological data that show, with few exceptions, a general female advantage.
Although in the last decades very important results based on novel therapeutic approaches have been obtained, cancer is still a major cause of death today, with an increasing incidence worldwide . It is well known that on average men live less than women (in Italy the average age is 80.8 and 85.2 years, respectively, according to data from the National Institute of Statistics), and this difference is even greater in populations with a higher life expectancy .
2. Sex Disparity
- Falzone, L.; Salomone, S.; Libra, M. Evolution of Cancer Pharmacological Treatments at the Turn of the Third Millennium. Front. Pharmacol. 2018, 9, 1300.
- Available online: www.istat.it/it/archivio/230897 (accessed on 24 October 2019).
- Straface, E.; Gambardella, L.; Brandani, M.; Malorni, W. Sex differences at cellular level: “Cells have a sex”. Handb. Exp. Pharmacol. 2012, 49–65.
- Carrel, L.; Willard, H.F. X-inactivation profile reveals extensive variability in X-linked gene expression in females. Nature 2005, 434, 400–404.
- Pinheiro, I.; Dejager, L.; Libert, C. X-chromosome-located microRNAs in immunity: Might they explain male/female differences? The X chromosome-genomic context may affect X-located miRNAs and downstream signalling, thereby contributing to the enhanced immune response of females. Bioessays 2011, 33, 791–802.
- Capone, I.; Marchetti, P.; Ascierto, P.A.; Malorni, W.; Gabriele, L. Sexual Dimorphism of Immune Responses: A New Perspective in Cancer Immunotherapy. Front. Immunol. 2018, 9, 552.
- Klein, S.L.; Flanagan, K.L. Sex differences in immune responses. Nat. Rev. Immunol. 2016, 16, 626–638.
- Gabriele, L.; Buoncervello, M.; Ascione, B.; Bellenghi, M.; Matarrese, P.; Care, A. The gender perspective in cancer research and therapy: Novel insights and on-going hypotheses. Ann. Ist. Super. Sanita 2016, 52, 213–222.
- Kim, S.E.; Paik, H.Y.; Yoon, H.; Lee, J.E.; Kim, N.; Sung, M.K. Sex- and gender-specific disparities in colorectal cancer risk. World J. Gastroenterol. 2015, 21, 5167–5175.
- Salem, M.E.; Weinberg, B.A.; Xiu, J.; El-Deiry, W.S.; Hwang, J.J.; Gatalica, Z.; Philip, P.A.; Shields, A.F.; Lenz, H.J.; Marshall, J.L. Comparative molecular analyses of left-sided colon, right-sided colon, and rectal cancers. Oncotarget 2017, 8, 86356–86368.
- Marks, P.; Soave, A.; Shariat, S.F.; Fajkovic, H.; Fisch, M.; Rink, M. Female with bladder cancer: What and why is there a difference? Transl. Androl. Urol. 2016, 5, 668–682.
- Gupta, S.; Artomov, M.; Goggins, W.; Daly, M.; Tsao, H. Gender Disparity and Mutation Burden in Metastatic Melanoma. J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 2015, 107.
- Roh, M.R.; Eliades, P.; Gupta, S.; Grant-Kels, J.M.; Tsao, H. Cutaneous melanoma in women. Int. J. Womens Dermatol. 2017, 3, S11–S15.
- Faramarzi, S.; Ghafouri-Fard, S. Melanoma: A prototype of cancer-testis antigen-expressing malignancies. Immunotherapy 2017, 9, 1103–1113.
- Botticelli, A.; Onesti, C.E.; Zizzari, I.; Cerbelli, B.; Sciattella, P.; Occhipinti, M.; Roberto, M.; Di Pietro, F.; Bonifacino, A.; Ghidini, M.; et al. The sexist behaviour of immune checkpoint inhibitors in cancer therapy? Oncotarget 2017, 8, 99336–99346.
- Conforti, F.; Pala, L.; Bagnardi, V.; De Pas, T.; Martinetti, M.; Viale, G.; Gelber, R.D.; Goldhirsch, A. Cancer immunotherapy efficacy and patients’ sex: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet Oncol. 2018, 19, 737–746.
- Grassadonia, A.; Sperduti, I.; Vici, P.; Iezzi, L.; Brocco, D.; Gamucci, T.; Pizzuti, L.; Maugeri-Sacca, M.; Marchetti, P.; Cognetti, G.; et al. Effect of Gender on the Outcome of Patients Receiving Immune Checkpoint Inhibitors for Advanced Cancer: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Phase III Randomized Clinical Trials. J. Clin. Med. 2018, 7, 542.
- Care, A.; Bellenghi, M.; Matarrese, P.; Gabriele, L.; Salvioli, S.; Malorni, W. Sex disparity in cancer: Roles of microRNAs and related functional players. Cell Death Differ. 2018, 25, 477–485.
- Weng, Y.M.; Peng, M.; Hu, M.X.; Yao, Y.; Song, Q.B. Clinical and molecular characteristics associated with the efficacy of PD-1/PD-L1 inhibitors for solid tumors: A meta-analysis. OncoTargets Ther. 2018, 11, 7529–7542.