- Please check and comment entries here.
Solar Water Heating Systems
Solar water heating system (SWHS) is known as a common application of solar energy where the received radiation is changed into heat and then transferred into a circulated medium, mostly water and air. By this means, electric water heaters are substituted by SWHS to support space heating and domestic hot water (DHW).
1. Solar Water Heating System
Solar water heating system (SWHS) is known as a common application of solar energy where the received radiation is changed into heat and then transferred into a circulated medium, mostly water and air . By this means, electric water heaters are substituted by SWHS to support space heating and domestic hot water (DHW) . According to the aforementioned advantages and extensive developments in solar water heaters’ design within the last 15 years, the global solar water heating market has been raised drastically . For instance, the Indian government has set specific goals to develop SWHS , China started research and development projects in the early 1980s to promote this technology , Australia maximized the use of SWHS in Sydney Olympic Athletes’ Village , and SWHS has been widely exploited in Brazil since 1990 . Taiwan has also introduced some subsidies for developing SWHS: 2.27 million m2 solar collectors were installed in the residential areas for supplying DHW and space heating by the end of 2013. Through this, 98,700 tons of oil and 319,000 tons of CO2 emissions have been saved in the country . There have also been some efforts in the use of SWHS in cold areas such as Canada , in which 35% of total space heating and hot water demands are supplied by this technology. In a southern European country with an acceptable solar intensity, SWHS can save around 70% energy .
3. Solar Water Heating System Classification
The entry is from 10.3390/en14164944
- Sadhishkumar, S.; Balusamy, T. Performance improvement in solar water heating systems—A review. Renew. Sustain. Energy Rev. 2014, 37, 191–198.
- Tian, Y.; Zhao, C.Y. A review of solar collectors and thermal energy storage in solar thermal applications. Appl. Energy 2013, 104, 538–553.
- da Silva, H.B.; Uturbey, W.; Lopes, B.M. Market diffusion of household PV systems: Insights using the Bass model and solar water heaters market data. Energy Sustain. Dev. 2020, 55, 210–220.
- Singh, A.; Anand, A.; Shukla, A.; Sharma, A. Environmental, technical and financial feasibility study of domestic solar water heating system in India. Sustain. Energy Technol. Assess. 2021, 43, 100965.
- Huang, J.; Fan, J.; Furbo, S.; Li, Q. A policy study on the mandatory installation of solar water heating systems-Lessons from the experience in China. Sol. Energy 2020, 206, 614–627.
- Shafieian, A.; Khiadani, M. Integration of heat pipe solar water heating systems with different residential households: An energy, environmental, and economic evaluation. Case Stud. Therm. Eng. 2020, 21, 100662.
- Giglio, T.; Lamberts, R. Savings related to solar water heating system: A case study of low-income families in Brazil. Energy Build. 2016, 130, 434–442.
- Chang, K.-C.; Lin, W.-M.; Chung, K.-M. Sustainable development for solar heating systems in Taiwan. Sustainability 2015, 7, 1970–1984.
- Jahangiri, M.; Alidadi Shamsabadi, A.; Saghaei, H. Comprehensive evaluation of using solar water heater on a household scale in Canada. J. Renew. Energy Environ. 2018, 5, 35–42.
- Şerban, A.; Bărbuţă-Mişu, N.; Ciucescu, N.; Paraschiv, S.; Paraschiv, S. Economic and environmental analysis of investing in solar water heating systems. Sustainability 2016, 8, 1286.
- Comparison of Solar and Heat Pump Water Heaters in New Zealand; Report Prepared for the Parliamentary Commissioner for the Environment. 2011. Available online: https://www.pce.parliament.nz/media/1245/comparison-of-solar-and-heat-pump-water-heaters-in-new-zealand.pdf (accessed on 1 August 2021).
- Singh, S.; Anand, A.; Shukla, A.; Sharma, A. Technical, financial, and environmental feasibility of solar water heater for residential, commercial, and industrial application: A theoretical approach. Mater. Sci. Energy Technol. 2020, 3, 648–671.
- Shukla, R.; Sumathy, K.; Erickson, P.; Gong, J. Recent advances in the solar water heating systems: A review. Renew. Sustain. Energy Rev. 2013, 19, 173–190.
- Ogueke, N.V.; Anyanwu, E.E.; Ekechukwu, O.V. A review of solar water heating systems. J. Renew. Sustain. Energy 2009, 1, 043106.
- Jamar, A.; Majid, Z.A.A.; Azmi, W.H.; Norhafana, M.; Razak, A.A. A review of water heating system for solar energy applications. Int. Commun. Heat Mass Transf. 2016, 76, 178–187.
- Lee, D.W.; Sharma, A. Thermal performances of the active and passive water heating systems based on annual operation. Sol. Energy 2007, 81, 207–215.