- Please check and comment entries here.
Livelihood sustainability means many farmers worldwide resort to choosing various income-earning options for diversifying their income sources as a means of risk-avoidance, social protection, and, above all, to finance agricultural operations. Non-farm income generation among farm families has become an imperative part of livelihood earning strategies in recent years amid fast-evolving climatic and sociodemographic changes.
2. Dynamics of Non-Farm Income Diversification
3. Conclusions, Policy Recommendations, and Future Outlook
The entry is from 10.3390/su13169084
- McNamara, K.; Weiss, C. On- and Off-Farm Diversification. In Proceedings of the AAEA-CAES Meeting, Chicago, IL, USA, 5–8 August 2001.
- Qasim, M. Determinants of Farm Income and Agricultural Risk Management Strategies: The Case of Rain-Fed Farm. Households in Pakistan’s Punjab; Kassel University Press GmbH: Kassel, Germany, 2012; Volume 3.
- Mishra, A.K.; El-Osta, H.S.; Sandretto, C.L. Factors affecting farm enterprise diversification. Agric. Financ. Rev. 2004, 64, 151–166.
- Nilsson, P.Å. Staying on farms: An ideological background. Ann. Tour. Res. 2002, 29, 7–24.
- Lange, A.; Piorr, A.; Siebert, R.; Zasada, I. Spatial differentiation of farm diversification: How rural attractiveness and vicinity to cities determine farm households’ response to the CAP. Land Use Policy 2013, 31, 136–144.
- Kostov, P.; Lingard, J. Risk management: A general framework for rural development. J. Rural Stud. 2003, 19, 463–476.
- Jongeneel, R.A.; Polman, N.B.P.; Slangen, L.H.G. Why are Dutch farmers going multifunctional? Land Use Policy 2008, 25, 81–94.
- Akhtar, S.; Abbas, A.; Kassem, H.S.; Bagadeem, S.; Ullah, R.; Alotaibi, B.A. Sustainable Crop Production, the Concurrent Adoption of Contract Farming, and Managing Risks through Income Diversification. Agronomy 2021, 11, 973.
- Abbas, A.; Amjath-Babu, T.S.; Kächele, H.; Usman, M.; Iqbal, M.A.; Arshad, M.; Shahid, M.A.; Müller, K. Sustainable survival under climatic extremes: Linking flood risk mitigation and coping with flood damages in rural Pakistan. Environ. Sci. Pollut. Res. 2018, 25, 32491–32505.
- Akhtar, S.; Abbas, A.; Iqbal, M.A.; Rizwan, M.; Samie, A.; Faisal, M.; Sahito, J.G.M. What Determines the Uptake of Multiple Tools to Mitigate Agricultural Risks among Hybrid Maize Growers in Pakistan? Findings from Field-Level Data. Agriculture 2021, 11, 578.
- Haggblade, S.; Hazell, P.; Reardon, T. (Eds.) Transforming the Rural Nonfarm Economy: Opportunities and Threats in the Developing World; Johns Hopkins University Press and IFPRI: Baltimore, MD, USA, 2007.
- Lanjouw, P. Rural non-agricultural sector and poverty in EI Salvador. World Dev. 2001, 29, 529–547.
- Mandal, M.A.S.; Assaduzzaman, M. Rural Off-farm Economy in Bangladesh: Characteristics, Issues and Livelihood Strategies for the Poor. Farm Econ. 2002, 12, 43–61.
- Ellis, F.; Freeman, H.A. Rural Livelihoods and Poverty Reduction Strategies in Four African Countries. J. Dev. Stud. 2004, 40, 1–30.
- van den Berg, M.; Kumbi, G.E. Poverty and the Rural Nonfarm Economy in Oromia, Ethiopia. Agric. Econ. 2006, 35, 469–475.
- Alasia, A.; Weersink, A.; Bollman, R.D.; Cranfield, J. Off-farm labour decision of Canadian farm operators: Urbanization effects and rural labour market linkages. J. Rural Stud. 2009, 25, 12–24.
- Chang, H.H.; Boisvert, R.N. The Conservation Reserve Program., Off.-Farm. Work, and Farm. Household Technical Efficiencies; No. 642-2016-44418; AgEcon Search: University of Minnesota, Twin Cities, MN, USA, 2009.
- Jager, J.; Everdingen, W. Kleine Bedrijven Sterk Afhankelijk van Inkomsten Buiten Bedrijf; LEI Agri-Monitor: Wegeninge, The Netherlands, 2009.
- van Leeuwen, E.; Dekkers, J. Determinants of off-farm income and its local patterns: A spatial microsimulation of Dutch farmers. J. Rural Stud. 2013, 31, 55–66.
- Barrett, C.B.; Reardon, T.; Webb, P. Nonfarm Income Diversification and Household Livelihood Strategies in Rural Africa: Concepts, Dynamics and Policy Implications. Food Policy 2001, 26, 315–331.
- Haggblade, S.; Hazell, P.; Reardon, T. The Rural Non-farm Economy: Prospects for Growth and Poverty Reduction. World Dev. 2010, 38, 1429–1441.
- Jolliffe, D. The Impact of Education in Rural Ghana: Examining Household Labour Allocation and Returns on and Off the farm. J. Dev. Econ. 2004, 73, 287–314.
- Fernandez-Cornejo, J. Off-Farm Income, Technology Adoption and Farm. Economic Performance. Economic Research Report No. ERR-36; Economic Research Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture: Washington, DC, USA, 2007.
- Kilic, T.; Carletto, C.; Miluka, J.; Savastano, S. Rural non-farm income and its impact on agriculture: Evidence from Albania. Agric. Econ. 2009, 40, 139–160.
- De Janvry, A.; Sadoulet, E.; Zhu, N. The Role of Non-Farm. Incomes in Reducing Rural Poverty and Inequality in China; CUDARE Working Paper No. 1001; Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics, University of California: Barkeley, CA, USA, 2005.
- Stampini, M.; Davis, B. Does non-agricultural labour relax farmer’s credit constraint? Evidence from longitudinal data for Vietnam. Agric. Econ. 2009, 40, 177–188.
- Iqbal, M.A.; Abbas, A.; Naqvi, S.A.A.; Rizwan, M.; Samie, A.; Ahmed, U.I. Drivers of Farm Households’ Perceived Risk Sources and Factors Affecting Uptake of Mitigation Strategies in Punjab Pakistan: Implications for Sustainable Agriculture. Sustainability 2020, 12, 9895.
- Reardon, T.; Delgado, C.L.; Matlon, P. Determinants and effects of income diversification amongst farm households in Burkina Faso. J. Dev. Stud. 1992, 28, 264–296.
- Weijland, H. Microenterprise clusters in rural Indonesia: Industrial Seedbed and policy target. World Dev. 1999, 29, 1515–1530.
- Oluwatayo, I.B. Poverty and income diversification among household in rural Nigeria: A gender analysis of livelihood patterns. In Proceedings of the 2nd Instituto de Estudos Sociais de Economicos (IESE) Conference on Dynamics of Poverty and Patterns of Economic Accumulation, Maputo, Mozambique, 22–23 April 2005; pp. 1–21.
- Awoniyi, A.O.; Salman, K.K. Non-farm Income diversification and welfare status of rural households in south west zone of Nigeria. In Proceedings of the Agricultural Productivity and Food Security in Africa Conference, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, 1–3 November 2011; Available online: http://addis2011.ifpri.info/files/2011/10/paper_4A_Awoniyi-Olabasi-Alaba.pdf (accessed on 15 May 2021).