- Please check and comment entries here.
Specific learning disorders (SLD)
Specific learning disorders (SLD) (DSM-5; American Psychiatric Association, Washington, DC, USA, 2013) are neurodevelopmental disorders characterized by difficulties in specific academic areas such as reading, writing, mathematics, and spelling. SLD are diagnosed in individuals with normal intelligence, no neurological and sensory deficits and with adequate educational and socio-cultural opportunities.
2. well-being experience with SLD student
The entry is from 10.3390/bs11070103
- Pollard, E.; Lee, P.D. Child Well-Being: A Systematic Review of the Literature. Soc. Indic. Res. 2003, 61, 59–78.
- Seligman, M.E. Flourish; Free Press: New York, NY, USA, 2011.
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD). OECD Skills Outlook 2019: Thriving in a Digital World; OECD: Paris, France, 2019.
- Fredericks, J.A.; Blumenfeld, P.C.; Paris, A.H. School engagement: Potential of the concept, state of the evidence. Rev. Educ. Res. 2004, 74, 59–109.
- Lam, S.; Jimerson, S.; Wong, B.P.H.; Kikas, E.; Shin, H.; Veiga, F.H.; Hatzichristou, C.; Polychroni, F.; Cefai, C.; Negovan, V.; et al. Understanding and measuring student engagement in school: The results of an international study from 12 countries. Sch. Psychol. 2014, 29(2), 213–232.
- Skinner, E.A.; Kindermann, T.A.; Furrer, C.J. A motivational perspective on engagement and disaffection: Conceptualization and assessment of children’s behavioral and emotional participation in academic activities in the classroom. Educ. Psychol. Meas. 2019, 69, 493–525.
- Wang, M.T.; Willett, J.B.; Eccles, J.S. The assessment of school engagement: Examining dimensionality and measurement invariance across gender and race/ethnicity. J. Sch. Psychol. 2011, 49, 465–480.
- Paus, T.; Keshavan, M.; Giedd, J.N. Why do many psychiatric disorders emerge during during adolescence? Nat. Rev. Neurosci 2008, 9, 947–957.
- Sawyer, S.M.; Drew, S.; Yeo, M.S.; Britto, M.T. Adolescents with a chronic condition: Challenges living, challenges treating. Lancet 2007, 369, 1481–1489.
- Lombardi, E.; Traficante, D.; Bettoni, R.; Offredi, I.; Giorgetti, M.; Vernice, M. The Impact of School Climate on Well-Being Experience and School Engagement: A Study With High-School Students. Front. Psychol. 2019, 10, 2482.
- Konold, T.; Cornell, D.; Jia, Y.; Malone, M. School climate, student engagement, and academic achievement: A latent variable, multilevel multi- informant examination. AERA Open 2018, 4, 1–17.
- Lei, H.; Cui, Y.; Zhou, W. Relationships between student engagement and academic achievement: A meta-analysis. Soc. Behav. Personal. Int. J. 2018, 46, 517–528.
- Vernice, M.; Matta, M.; Tironi, M.; Caccia, M.; Lombardi, E.; Guasti, M.T.; Sarti, D.; Lang, M. An online tool to assess sentence comprehension in teenagers at risk for school exclusion: Evidence from L2 Italian students. Front. Psychol. 2019, 10, 2417.
- Sarti, D.; Bettoni, R.; Offredi, I.; Tironi, M.; Lombardi, E.; Traficante, D.; Lorusso, M.L. Tell Me a Story: Socio-Emotional Functioning, Well-Being and Problematic Smartphone Use in Adolescents With Specific Learning Disabilities. Front. Psychol. 2019.
- Italian Ministry of Education, University and Research—Ministero della Pubblica Istruzione, MIUR. I principali dati relativi agli alunni con DSA, Anno scolastico 2018/2019. 2020. Available online: (accessed on 24 June 2021).
- Mugnaini, D.; Lassi, S.; La Malfa, G.; Albertini, G. Internalizing correlates of dyslexia. World J. Pediatr. 2009, 5, 255–264.
- Francis, D.A.; Caruana, N.; Hudson, J.L.; McArthur, G.M. The association between poor reading and internalising problems: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Clin. Psychol. Rev. 2018, 67, 45–60.
- Aro, T.; Eklund, K.; Eloranta, A.K.; Närhi, V.; Korhonen, E.; Ahonen, T. Associations between childhood learning disabilities and adult-age mental health problems, lack of education, and unemployment. J. Learn. Disabil. 2019, 52, 71–83.
- Bryan, T. Science-based advances in the social domain of learning disabilities. Learn. Disabil. Q. 2005, 28, 119–121.
- Wilson, A.M.; Deriarmstrong, C.; Furrie, A.; Walcot, E. The mental health of Canadians with self-reported learning disabilities. J. Learn. Disabil. 2009, 42, 24–40.
- Halonen, A.; Aunola, K.; Ahonen, T.; Nurmi, J.E. The role of learning to read in the development of problem behaviour: A cross-lagged longitudinal study. Br. J. Educ. Psychol. 2006, 76 (Pt 3), 517–534.
- Klassen, R.M.; Tze, V.M.; Hannok, W. Internalizing problems of adults with learning disabilities: A meta-analysis. J. Learn. Disabil. 2013, 46, 317–327.
- McConaughy, S.H. Social competence and behavioral problems of learning disabled boys aged 12–16. J. Learn. Disabil. 1986, 19, 101–106.
- Cornoldi, C.; De Beni, R. Imparare A Studiare. STRATEGIE, Stili Cognitivi, Metacognizione e Atteggiamenti Nello Studio; Erickson: Trento, Italy, 2001.
- Traficante, D.; Andolfi, V.R.; Wolf, M. Literacy abilities and well-being in children: Findings from the application of EUREKA, the Italian adaptation of the RAVE-O Program. Re-Open J. Form. Rete 2017, 17, 12–38.
- Walker, A.; Nabuzoka, D. Academic achievement and social functioning of children with and without learning difficulties. Educ. Psychol. 2007, 27, 635–665.
- Benassi, E.; Camia, M.; Giovagnoli, S.; Scorza, M. Impaired school well-being in children with specific learning disorder and its relationship to psychopathological symptoms. Eur. J. Spec. Needs Educ. 2020.
- Ghisi, M.; Bottesi, G.; Re, A.M.; Cerea, S.; Mammarella, I.C. Socioemotional Features and Resilience in Italian University Students with and without Dyslexia. Front. Psychol. 2016.
- World Health Organization. International Classification of Functioning, Disability, and Health: Children & Youth Version: ICF-CY; World Health Organization: Geneva, Switzerland, 2007.
- Fenzi, V.; Cornoldi, C. Le difficoltà ortografiche di adolescenti con dislessia. Dislessia 2015, 12, 75–86.
- Eide, B.; Eide, F. The Dyslexic Advantage: Unlocking the Hidden Potential of the Dyslexic Brain; Penguin Group: London, UK, 2012.
- Miller, R.J.; Snider, B.; Rzonca, C. Variables related to the decision of young adults with learning disabilities to participate in postsecondary education. J. Learn. Disabil. 1990, 23, 349–354.
- Young, A.R.; Beitchman, J.H.; Johnson, C.; Douglas, L.; Atkinson, L.; Escobar, M.; Wilson, B. Young adult academic outcomes in a longitudinal sample of early identified language impaired and control children. J. Child Psychol. Psychiatry. 2002, 43, 635–645.
- Barbiero, C.; Montico, M.; Lonciari, I.; Monasta, L.; Penge, R.; Vio, C.; Tressoldi, P.E.; Carrozzi, M.; De Petris, A.; De Cagno, A.G.; et al. The lost children: The underdiagnosis of dyslexia in Italy. A cross-sectional national study. PLoS ONE 2019, 14, e0210448.
- Lampugnani, G.; Stella, G.; Caiazzo, G. Un’esperienza di screening per l’individuazione di soggetti a rischio DSA e intervento di formazione dei docenti nella prima classe della scuola secondaria superiore. Dislessia 2006, 3, 37–48.
- Doren, B.; Murray, C.; Gau, J.M. Salient predictors of school dropout among secondary students with learning disabilities. Learn. Disabil. Res. Pract. 2014, 29, 150–159.
- Filippello, P.; Harrington, N.; Costa, S.; Buzzai, C.; Sorrenti, L. Perceived Psychological Control and School Learned Helplessness: The role of frustration intolerance as a mediator factor. Sch. Psychol. Int. 2018, 39, 360–377.
- Sorrenti, L.; Filippello, P.; Orecchio, S.; Buzzai, C. Learned helplessness and learning goals: Role played in school refusal. A study on Italian students. Mediterr. J. Clin. Psychol. 2016, 4.