- Please check and comment entries here.
Machine Learning for Temperature Estimation
The modern and very effective methods of estimating the temperature of electric motors include machine learning and deep learning. Their unquestionable advantage is that on the basis of the collected measurement data, a function mapping the relationship between the values of the input features and the output is determined. This means that predictive modeling does not require knowledge of the material properties of a given device or having expertise knowledge about its construction.
For the purposes of the research, measurements were made for over 160 h of motor operation, and then, they were preprocessed. The algorithms of linear regression, ElasticNet, stochastic gradient descent regressor, support vector machines, decision trees, and AdaBoost were used for predictive modeling. The ability of the models to generalize was achieved by hyperparameter tuning with the use of cross-validation. The conducted research led to promising results of the winding temperature estimation accuracy. In the case of sensorless temperature prediction (model 1), the mean absolute percentage error MAPE was below 4.5% and the coefficient of determination R2 was above 0.909. In addition, the extension of the model with the temperature measurement on the casing (model 2) allowed reducing the error value to about 1% and increasing R2 to 0.990. The results obtained for the first proposed model show that the overheating protection of the motor can be ensured without direct temperature measurement. In addition, the introduction of a simple casing temperature measurement system allows for an estimation with accuracy suitable for compensating the motor output torque changes related to temperature.
2. Predicting the Electric Motor Temperature
The entry is from 10.3390/s21144655
- Dambrauskas, K.; Vanagas, J.; Zimnickas, T.; Kalvaitis, A.; Bizimavicius, T. Induction Motor’s Bearing Condition Motoring and Diagnosis Applying Cloud Services and Artificial Neural Networks. Advances in Information, Electronic and Electrical Engineering. In Proceedings of the AIEEE 2019-Proceedings of the 7th IEEE Workshop, Liepaja, Latvia, 15–16 November 2019; Volume 2019.
- Medeiros, R.L.V.; Filho, A.C.L.; Ramos, J.G.G.S.; Nascimento, T.P.; Brito, A.V. A Novel Approach for Speed and Failure Detection in Brushless DC Motors Based on Chaos. IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron. 2019, 66, 8751–8759.
- Park, B.-G.; Lee, K.-J.; Kim, R.-Y.; Hyun, D.S. Low-Cost Fault Diagnosis Algorithm for Switch Open-Damage in BLDC Motor Drives. J. Power Electron. 2010, 10, 702–708.
- Jin, X.; Chow, T.W.S.; Tsui, K.-L. Online Anomaly Detection of Brushless Dc Motor Using Current Monitoring Technique. Int. J. Perform. Eng. 2014, 10, 263–271.
- Zandi, O.; Poshtan, J. Fault Diagnosis of Brushless DC Motors Using Built-In Hall Sensors. IEEE Sens. J. 2019, 19, 8183–8190.
- Shifat, T.A.; Hur, J.W. An Effective Stator Fault Diagnosis Framework of BLDC Motor Based on Vibration and Current Signals. IEEE Access 2020, 8, 106968–106981.
- Kudelina, K.; Asad, B.; Vaimann, T.; Rassolkin, A.; Kallaste, A.; Lukichev, D.V. Main Faults and Diagnostic Possibilities of BLDC Motors. In Proceedings of the 2020 27th International Workshop on Electric Drives: MPEI Department of Electric Drives 90th Anniversary, IWED 2020-Proceedings, Moscow, Russia, 27–30 January 2020.
- Zhang, P.; Lu, B.; Habetler, T.G. An Active Stator Temperature Estimation Technique for Thermal Protection of Inverter-Fed Induction Motors with Considerations of Impaired Cooling Detection. IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl. 2010, 46, 1873–1881.
- Guo, H.; Ding, Q.; Song, Y.; Tang, H.; Wang, L.; Zhao, J. Predicting Temperature of Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motor Based on Deep Neural Network. Energies 2020, 13, 4782.
- Ganchev, M.; Kral, C.; Wolbank, T.M. Compensation of Speed Dependence in Sensorless Rotor Temperature Estimation for Permanent-Magnet Synchronous Motor. IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl. 2013, 49, 2487–2495.
- Sciascera, C.; Giangrande, P.; Papini, L.; Gerada, C.; Galea, M. Analytical Thermal Model for Fast Stator Winding Temperature Prediction. IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron. 2017, 64, 6116–6126.
- Ganchev, M.; Kral, C.; Oberguggenberger, H.; Wolbank, T. Sensorless Rotor Temperature Estimation of Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motor. In Proceedings of the IECON 2011-37th Annual Conference of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society, Melbourne, Australia, 7–10 November 2011; pp. 2018–2023.
- Chen, Y.; Zhang, C.; Zhang, N.; Chen, Y.; Wang, H. Multi-Task Learning and Attention Mechanism Based Long Short-Term Memory for Temperature Prediction of EMU Bearing. In Proceedings of the 2019 Prognostics and System Health Management Conference PHM-Qingdao, Qingdao, China, 25–27 October 2019.
- Wang, Y.; Li, H.; Ren, D. Characteristics of BLDC Motor Drive System at High Temperature. In Proceedings of the 2016 IEEE 8th International Power Electronics and Motion Control Conference, IPEMC-ECCE Asia 2016, Hefei, China, 22–26 May 2016; pp. 856–862.
- Jayanth, N.; Varunteja, P.V.N.R.; Sreenu, T.T. Direct Torque Control of Sensorless BLDC Motor Using Artificial Neural Networks. Int. J. Eng. Adv. Technol. 2019, 8, 1228–1231.
- Ma, Z.; Qi, X. Permanent Magnet Motor Temperature Compensated Constant Torque Control. IFAC-PapersOnLine 2018, 51, 68–70.
- Ma, Z.; Zhang, Q.; Wang, Q.; Liu, T. Temperature Compensation Strategy of Output Torque for Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motor Based on BP Neural Network. In Proceedings of the 2017 12th IEEE Conference on Industrial Electronics and Applications, ICIEA 2017, Siem Reap, Cambodia, 18–20 June 2017; pp. 774–779.
- Tan, W.X.; Brandão, M.; Hashimoto, K.; Takanishi, A. Trajectory Optimization for High-Power Robots with Motor Temperature Constraints. In Lecture Notes in Computer Science (Including Subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics); Springer: Cham, Switzerland, 2018; pp. 3–14.
- Zhu, Y.; Xiao, M.; Lu, K.; Wu, Z.; Tao, B. A Simplified Thermal Model and Online Temperature Estimation Method of Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motors. Appl. Sci. 2019, 9, 3158.
- Wallscheid, O.; Böcker, J. Global Identification of a Low-Order Lumped-Parameter Thermal Network for Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motors. IEEE Trans. Energy Convers. 2016, 31, 354–365.
- Demetriades, G.D.; De La Parra, H.Z.; Andersson, E.; Olsson, H. A Real-Time Thermal Model of a Permanent-Magnet Synchronous Motor. IEEE Trans. Power Electron. 2010, 25, 463–474.
- Wu, Y.; Gao, H. Induction-Motor Stator and Rotor Winding Temperature Estimation Using Signal Injection Method. IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl. 2006, 42, 1038–1044.
- Jun, B.-S.; Park, J.S.; Choi, J.-H.; Lee, K.-D.; Won, C.-Y. Temperature Estimation of Stator Winding in Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motors Using D-Axis Current Injection. Energies 2018, 11, 2033.
- Sonnaillon, M.O.; Bisheimer, G.; De Angelo, C.; García, G.O. Online Sensorless Induction Motor Temperature Monitoring. IEEE Trans. Energy Convers. 2010, 25, 273–280.
- Breitenbach, E.; Wunsch, E.; Schramm, A. Thermal Monitoring of Electrical Machines by Linear Differential Equations and Numerical Calibration Procedure. In Proceedings of the 2020 International Symposium on Power Electronics, Electrical Drives, Automation and Motion, SPEEDAM 2020, Sorrento, Italy, 24–26 June 2020; pp. 168–172.
- Erazo, D.E.G.; Wallscheid, O.; Böcker, J. Improved Fusion of Permanent Magnet Temperature Estimation Techniques for Synchronous Motors Using a Kalman Filter. IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron. 2020, 67, 1708–1717.
- Nogay, H.S. Prediction of Internal Temperature in Stator Winding of Three-Phase Induction Motors with Ann. Eur. Trans. Electr. Power 2011, 21, 120–128.
- Kirchgassner, W.; Wallscheid, O.; Bocker, J. Deep Residual Convolutional and Recurrent Neural Networks for Temperature Estimation in Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motors. In Proceedings of the 2019 IEEE International Electric Machines and Drives Conference, IEMDC 2019, San Diego, CA, USA, 12–15 May 2019; pp. 1439–1446.
- Lee, J.; Ha, J.-I. Temperature Estimation of PMSM Using a Difference-Estimating Feedforward Neural Network. IEEE Access 2020, 8, 130855–130865.
- Wallscheid, O.; Kirchgassner, W.; Bocker, J. Investigation of Long Short-Term Memory Networks to Temperature Prediction for Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motors. In Proceedings of the International Joint Conference on Neural Networks, Anchorage, AK, USA, 4–19 May 2017; pp. 1940–1947.
- Mellah, H.; Hemsas, K.E.; Taleb, R. CECATI, carlo Estimation of Speed, Armature Temperature and Resistance in Brushed DC Machines Using a CFNN Based on BFGS BP. Turk. J. Electr. Eng. Comput. Sci. 2018, 26, 3182–3192.
- Mellah, H.; Hemsas, K.E.; Taleb, R. Intelligent Sensor Based Bayesian Neural Network for Combined Parameters and States Estimation of a Brushed DC Motor. Int. J. Adv. Comput. Sci. Appl. 2016, 7.
- Kirchgassner, W.; Wallscheid, O.; Bocker, J. Empirical Evaluation of Exponentially Weighted Moving Averages for Simple Linear Thermal Modeling of Permanent Magnet Synchronous Machines. In Proceedings of the IEEE International Symposium on Industrial Electronics, Vancouver, BC, Canada, 12–14 June 2019; pp. 318–323.