Dental implants remain an important treatment option for the replacement of a missing tooth or teeth, as the success rate approximates 90% . Osseointegration is a necessary requirement for the treatment modality , but may be jeopardized by peri-implantitis, which is a pathological cause of bone loss . Peri-implantitis may result from several factors , including a poor implant-abutment interface, which could act as a facilitating factor in some cases. In this sense, the Finite Element Analysis is a reliable tool that can provide usefull biomechanical aspects of this dental treatment, without harming animals and humans . Despite the widely aplicability of this numerical method, the boundary conditions and mechanical properties should be properly informed during the results calculation to avoid erroneous conclusions . Follow the present video abstract to observe one of the many possible study development using the reported method.
The entry is from 10.3390/oral1020009
- Tricio, J.; Laohapand, P.; van Steenberghe, D.; Quirynen, M.; Naert, I. Mechanical state assessment of the implant-bone continuum: A better understanding of the Periotest method. Int. J. Oral Maxillofac. Implant. 1995, 10, 43–49.
- Lauritano, D.; Moreo, G.; Lucchese, A.; Viganoni, C.; Limongelli, L.; Carinci, F. The Impact of Implant–Abutment Connection on Clinical Outcomes and Microbial Colonization: A Narrative Review. Materials 2020, 13, 1131.
- Roccuzzo, A.; Stähli, A.; Monje, A.; Sculean, A.; Salvi, G.E. Peri-Implantitis: A Clinical Update on Prevalence and Surgical Treatment Outcomes. J. Clin. Med. 2021, 10, 1107.
- João Tribst; Amanda Dal Piva; Laís da Silva-Concílio; Pietro Ausiello; Les Kalman; Influence of Implant-Abutment Contact Surfaces and Prosthetic Screw Tightening on the Stress Concentration, Fatigue Life and Microgap Formation: A Finite Element Analysis. Oral 2021, 1, 88-101, 10.3390/oral1020009.
- João Paulo Mendes Tribst; Amanda Maria De Oliveira Dal Piva; Roberto Lo Giudice; Alexandre Luiz Souto Borges; Marco Antonio Bottino; Ettore Epifania; Pietro Ausiello; The Influence of Custom-Milled Framework Design for an Implant-Supported Full-Arch Fixed Dental Prosthesis: 3D-FEA Study. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health 2020, 17, 1-11, 10.3390/ijerph17114040.