- Please check and comment entries here.
Cecal ligation and puncture (CLP) is an experimental polymicrobial sepsis induced systemic inflammation that leads to acute organ failure. Aim of our study was to evaluate the effects of SP600125, a specific c-Jun NH2-terminal kinase (JNK) inhibitor, to modulate the early and late steps of the inflammatory cascade in a murine model of CLP-induced sepsis. CB57BL/6J mice were subjected to CLP or sham operation. Animals were randomized to receive either SP600125 (15 mg/kg) or its vehicle intraperitoneally 1 hour after surgery and repeat treatment every 24 hours. To evaluate survival, a group of animals was monitored every 24 hours for 120 hours. Two other animals were sacrificed 4 or 18 hours after surgical procedures; lung and liver samples were collected for biomolecular and histopathologic analysis. The expression of p-JNK, p-ERK, TNF-α, HMGB-1, NF-κB, Ras, Rho, Caspase 3, Bcl-2, and Bax was evaluated in lung and liver samples; SP600125 improved survival, reduced CLP induced activation of JNK, NF-κB, TNF-α, and HMGB-1, inhibited proapoptotic pathway, preserved Bcl-2 expression, and reduced histologic damage in both lung and liver of septic mice. SP600125 protects against CLP induced sepsis by blocking JNK signalling; therefore, it can be considered a therapeutic approach in human sepsis.
- Nguyen H. B., Smith D. Sepsis in the 21st century: recent definitions and therapeutic advances. The American Journal of Emergency Medicine. 2007;25(5):564–571. doi: 10.1016/j.ajem.2006.08.015.
- Angus D. C., Linde-Zwirble W. T., Lidicker J., Clermont G., Carcillo J., Pinsky M. R. Epidemiology of severe sepsis in the United States: analysis of incidence, outcome, and associated costs of care. Critical Care Medicine. 2001;29(7):1303–1310. doi: 10.1097/00003246-200107000-00002.
- Wichterman K. A., Baue A. E., Chaudry I. H. Sepsis and septic shock—a review of laboratory models and a proposal. Journal of Surgical Research. 1980;29(2):189–201. doi: 10.1016/0022-4804(80)90037-2.
- Dejager L., Pinheiro I., Dejonckheere E., Libert C. Cecal ligation and puncture: the gold standard model for polymicrobial sepsis? Trends in Microbiology. 2011;19(4):198–208. doi: 10.1016/j.tim.2011.01.001.
- Regel G., Grotz M., Weltner T., Sturm J. A., Tscherne H. Pattern of organ failure following severe trauma. World Journal of Surgery. 1996;20(4):422–429. doi: 10.1007/s002689900067.
- Bitto A., Minutoli L., David A., et al. Flavocoxid, a dual inhibitor of COX-2 and 5-LOX of natural origin, attenuates the inflammatory response and protects mice from sepsis. Critical Care. 2012;16(1, article R32) doi: 10.1186/1364-8535-16-R32.
- Viatour P., Merville M.-P., Bours V., Chariot A. Phosphorylation of NF-κB and IκB proteins: implications in cancer and inflammation. Trends in Biochemical Sciences. 2005;30(1):43–52. doi: 10.1016/j.tibs.2004.11.009.
- Calzado M. A., Bacher S., Schmitz M. L. NF-κB inhibitors for the treatment of inflammatory diseases and cancer. Current Medicinal Chemistry. 2007;14(3):367–376. doi: 10.2174/092986707779941113.
- Brown M. A., Jones W. K. NF-κB action in sepsis: the innate immune system and the heart. Frontiers in Bioscience. 2004;9:1201–1217. doi: 10.2741/1304.
- Deng Y., Ren X., Yang L., Lin Y., Wu X. A JNK-dependent pathway is required for TNFα-induced apoptosis. Cell. 2003;115(1):61–70. doi: 10.1016/S0092-8674(03)00757-8.
- Ventura J. J., Cogswell P., Flavell R. A., Baldwin A. S., Jr., Davis R. J. JNK potentiates TNF-stimulated necrosis by increasing the production of cytotoxic reactive oxygen species. Genes & Development. 2004;18(23):2905–2915.
- Hotchkiss R. S., Karl I. E. The pathophysiology and treatment of sepsis. The New England Journal of Medicine. 2003;348(2):138–150. doi: 10.1056/NEJMra021333.
- Altavilla D., Squadrito G., Minutoli L., et al. Inhibition of nuclear factor-κB activation by IRFI 042, protects against endotoxin-induced shock. Cardiovascular Research. 2002;54(3):684–693. doi: 10.1016/S0008-6363(02)00276-6.
- Li B., Li Y. M., Li X., et al. COX-2 inhibition improves immune system homeostasis and decreases liver damage in septic rats. Journal of Surgical Research. 2009;157(1):43–47. doi: 10.1016/j.jss.2008.12.020.
- Pacheco P., Bozza F. A., Gomes R. N., et al. Lipopolysaccharide-induced leukocyte lipid body formation in vivo: innate immunity elicited intracellular loci involved in eicosanoid metabolism. The Journal of Immunology. 2002;169(11):6498–6506. doi: 10.4049/jimmunol.169.11.6498.
- Bennett B. L., Sasaki D. T., Murray B. W., et al. SP600125, an anthrapyrazolone inhibitor of Jun N-terminal kinase. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 2001;98(24):13681–13686. doi: 10.1073/pnas.251194298.
- Fan H., Bitto A., Zingarelli B., et al. Beta-arrestin 2 negatively regulates sepsis-induced inflammation. Immunology. 2010;130(3):344–351. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2567.2009.03185.x.
- Altavilla D., Squadrito F., Bitto A., et al. Flavocoxid, a dual inhibitor of cyclooxygenase and 5-lipoxygenase, blunts pro-inflammatory phenotype activation in endotoxin-stimulated macrophages. British Journal of Pharmacology. 2009;157(8):1410–1418. doi: 10.1111/j.1476-5381.2009.00322.x.