PROFESSOR GILSOO JANG
Gilsoo Jang's Biography
Current Research Interest
Dr. Jang is interested in power system dynamics and controls, application of power electronics to power system, and grid integration of renewable energy resources. From 2000, his group has focused its research in the field of power systems along with more than 150 research projects performed related to these fields and has very a strong collaboration with research institutes and companies. Their cooperation covers various areas, such as power system control, HVDC, power system simulation algorithms, power quality monitoring, renewable energy, and so on.
Dr. Jang received his BE from Department of Electrical Engineering, Korea University, Korea in 1991, MS degree also from Department of Electrical Engineering, Korea University, Korea, in 1994, and Ph. D from the Electrical Engineering, Iowa State University, USA, in 1997. He was a visiting scientist at Dept. of Electrical & Computer Engineering, Iowa State University, USA, from 1997 to 1998, a senior researcher at Power Systems Lab., Korea Electric Power Research Institute, Korea, from 1998 to 2000, and a visiting professor at Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Cornell University, USA, from 2006 to 2007.
Dr. Jang has been a professor at the School of Electrical Engineering, Korea University since 2000. He worked as an Associate Dean of College of Engineering from 2011 to 2103 and worked as a Dean of School of Electrical Engineering from 2015 to 2017. With the support of National Research Foundation of Korea since 2017, he has been the director of Grid Connected Power Electronics Research Center in Korea.
He has participated in academic societies as a journal editor of IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, technical reviewers for international journals and conferences, conference organizers, and so on. He is a senior member of IEEE, a senior member of KIEE, and a member of CIGRE. He is actively participating in the government's establishment of energy related policies, such as the Electricity Supply and Demand Basic Plan and the National Energy Basic Plan. He was awarded the KIEE Awards in 2006, 2007, and 2013, Yeonam Foundation Fellowship in 2006, and Minister Citations in 2012 and 2017. He published more than 130 SCI/E indexed journal papers, and holds 20 domestic and international patents. He has written a book “HVDC Transmission: Power Conversion Applications in Power Systems” in 2009 and “HVDC Transmission +1: MMC based VSC Technology in Power Systems” in 2020.
Recent Selected Journal Papers
- Kim, Chan-Ki Kim; Sood, Vijay K. Sood, Jang, Gilsoo; e.g.. HVDC Transmission: Power Conversion Applications in Power Systems; Wiley – IEEE Press: Singapore, 2009; pp. 436.
- Kim, Chan-Ki; Moon, Seung-Il; Hur, Kyeon; Kim, Jang-Mok; Jang, Gilsoo. HVDC Transmission+1; World Scientific: Singapore, 2020; pp. 496.
- H. Lee, S. Joo, G. Jang, "CDF-Based Capacity Estimation Method for Stationary Regenerative Solution in Parallel-fed DC Urban Subway Transit," IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, Vol. 11, Issue 1, Jan. 2020
- G. Jang, "Special issue on HVDC for grid services in electric power systems," Applied Sciences, 2019, 9, 4292
- S. Song, C. Han, S. Jung, M. Yoon, G. Jang, "Probabilistic Power Flow Analysis of Bulk Power System for Practical Grid Planning Application," IEEE Access,Vol. 7, pp. 45494 - 45503, April 2019
- S. Song, S. Hwang, B. Ko, S. Cha, G. Jang, "Novel Transient Power Control Schemes for BTB VSCs to Improve Angle Stability," Applied Sciences, 2018, 8, 1350
- Chang-Hyun Park, G. Jang, “Systematic Method to Identify an Area of Vulnerability to Voltage Sags,” IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Vol. 32, No. 3, pp. 1583-1591, Jun. 2017
- Min Hwang, Eduard Muljadi, G. Jang, Yong Cheol Kang, "Disturbance-Adaptive Short-Term Frequency Support of a DFIG Associated with the Variable Gain Based on the ROCOF and Rotor Speed", IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Vol. 32, No. 3, pp. 1873-1881, May 2017
- Seungmin Jung, G. Jang, "A Loss Minimization Method on a reactive power supply process for Wind Farm," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Vol. 31, No. 3, pp.1068-1079, Jul. 2017
- Jaewan Suh, Dong-Hee Yoon, Yoon-Sung Cho, and G. Jang, “Flexible Frequency Operation Strategy of Power System with High Renewable Penetration”, IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, Vol. 8, No. 1, pp. 192-199, Jan. 2017
- Hwang Pyeong-Ik, G. Jang, Moon Seung-Il, Ahn Seon-Ju, " Three-Phase Steady-State Models for a Distributed Generator Interfaced via a Current-Controlled Voltage-Source Converter", IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, Vol. 7, No. 3, pp. 1694-1702, May 2016
- Seungmin Jung, Yeuntae Yoo, Hyunwook Kim, Jae-Hyeong Lee, Minhan Yoon, G. Jang, "Development of an Active Power Reserve Management Method for DC Applied Wave-Wind Combined Generation Systems," Energies, Vol. 8, No. 11, pp. 12488-12504, Nov. 2015
- Seungmin Jung, Hansang Lee, Chong Suk Song, Jong-Hoon Han, Woon-Ki Han, G. Jang, “Optimal Operation Plan of the On-Line Electric Vehicle System through Establishment of DC Distribution System,” IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Vol. 28, No.12, pp.5878-5889, Dec. 2013
- Dong-Hee Yoon, Hwachang Song, G. Jang, Sung-Hwan Joo, "Smart Operation of HVDC Systems for Large Penetration of Wind Energy Resources," IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, Vol. 4, No. 1, pp. 359-366, Mar. 2013
- Gilsung Byeon, Taeyoung Yoon, Seaseung Oh, G. Jang, “Energy Management Strategy of the DC Distribution System in Buildings Using the EV Service Model,” IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Vol. 28, No. 4, pp. 1544-1554, Apr. 2013
- S. H. Cho, J. H. Han, C.H. Park and G. Jang, “Waveform Distortion Evaluation Method based on Simple Half-cycle RMS Calculation,” IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Vol. 27, pp. 1461-1467, Jul. 2012
- G. Byeon, S. Oh, G. Jang, “A New DC Offset Removal Algorithm using an Iterative Method for Real-Time Simulation,” IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Vol. 26, No. 4, pp. 2277-2286, Oct. 2011
- C. Park, J. Hong, G. Jang, “Assessment of system voltage sag performance based on the concept of area of severity,” IET Generation Transmission and Distribution, Vol. 4, No. 6, pp. 683-693, Jun. 2010
- S. Cho, G. Jang, S. Kwon, “Time-Frequency Analysis of Power Quality Disturbances via Gabor-Wigner Transform,” IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Vol. 25, No. 1 pp. 494-499, Jan. 2010