Traffic shaping in the urban with use of systems engineering
One of the main barriers to the development of the cities towards smart cities with sustainable development (smart cities, smart sustainable cities) are the problems resulting from transport congestion occurring in urban transport systems – transport congestion.
The changes in socio-economic and transport relations, resulting from the development of telecommunications technologies, mobile devices, wireless communication, new human activities and its needs, shaping transport needs as well as transport behavior and preferences have a significant impact on traffic in urban transport networks. Satisfying transport needs with the use of transport systems, which are subject to constant technological and innovative changes in the field of transport means, transport infrastructure and traffic organization, shapes the users' behavior and transport preferences not statically and dynamically. Thus, both technological changes in transport systems increasing their dynamical utility as well as changes in public communication and the emergence of new forms of activity dynamically related to a specific place and time, as well as dynamic control and traffic management and user mobility management require the use of both standard (widely used) as well as innovative models, methods and design tools.
The presented study deals with the problem of shaping of traffic in urban transport networks with the use of systems engineering. The subject of consideration are issues related to traffic modeling in transport networks of urban agglomerations and the implementation of transport projects using systems engineering, including the planning of appropriate measures constituting variants of system solutions, in order to achieve results in the form of:
- reduction of the congestion phenomenon (traffic congestion),
- increasing the smoothness of traffic flows in transport networks,
- increasing the accessibility of urban space,
- increasing the mobility of users of urban agglomerations.
The issues of shaping traffic in urban transport networks are complex and involve many problems concerning, among others, the mapping of transport systems and processes during the selection of traffic shaping actions / instruments depending on the current state and traffic shaping needs.
The aim of the monograph  is to present the developed method of shaping traffic in urban transport networks with the use of systems engineering that enable the preparation and implementation of system-relevant solutions, reduce congestion in transport networks of cities and enable their sustainable development towards smart sustainable cities. The developed method, using system engineering, takes into account the comprehensive approach to the problem of traffic shaping in urban transport networks, by using models, methods and tools appropriate to:
- identification of the area and environment in which the problem occurs,
- diagnosis of the condition in terms of factors and processes affecting the problem,
- defining the problem in terms of quantity and quality,
- selection of appropriate activities / instruments in the form of functional configuration, taking into account technical and organizational options,
- preparation and implementation of an appropriate project, using systems engineering, which enables solving a defined problem by implementing the appropriate variant of functional configuration,
- using the V model as an appropriate tool in the field of systems engineering.
- Karoń Grzegorz. TRAFFIC SHAPING IN THE URBAN TRANSPORT NETWORK WITH THE USE OF SYSTEMS ENGINEERING; Silesian Univeristy of Technonolgy (Poland): Poland, 2019; pp. 363-364.