- Please check and comment entries here.
Travel sentiment after COVID-19
Tourism and hospitality actors face an unprecedented challenge in reigniting these industries through digital communication. All past knowledge regarding tourist behavior and preferences has been rendered less relevant since the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic. These changes result in enforced changes that need to be acknowledged. Several reports have pointed to the existence of a travel sentiment. This travel sentiment integrates the travel intentions and concerns, and trip planning which can be actionable by digital communication.
2. Tourism and the COVID-19 Pandemic
3. Travel Motivations and Travel Sentiment
4. Tourism, Technology, and Digital Communication
Planning a trip;
Acknowledging the destination’s cultural and natural heritage;
Finding more problematic activities or issues related to the trip; and
Revealing the roots of the establishment of community relationships.
This entry is adapted from 10.3390/su132212471
- Becker, E. How Hard Will the Coronavirus Hit the Travel Industry. National Geographic 2020. Available online: https://www.nationalgeographic.com/travel/2020/04/how-coronavirus-is-impacting-the-travel-industry/ (accessed on 13 July 2021).
- Jones, P.; Comfort, D. The role of resilience in research and planning in the tourism industry. Athens J. Tour. 2020, 7, 1–16.
- Sharma, G.D.; Thomas, A.; Paul, J. Reviving tourism industry post-COVID-19: A resilience-based framework. Tour. Manag. Perspect. 2021, 37, 100786.
- Machado, A.F.; Sousa, B.B.; Rocha, A.M.A.; de Abreu, Z.H.L. Education Excellence and Innovation Management: A 2025 Vision to Sustain Economic Development during Global Challenges; Communication Strategies to Combat the Negative Effects of Covid-19 on Tourism; International Business Information Management Association: Sevilla, Spain, 2020; pp. 10997–11005.
- Hu, F.; Teichert, T.; Deng, S.; Liu, Y.; Zhou, G. Dealing with pandemics: An investigation of the effects of COVID-19 on customers’ evaluations of hospitality services. Tour. Manag. 2021, 85, 104320.
- Fonseca, J.; Borges-Tiago, T.; Tiago, F.; Silva, S. Virtual Communities in COVID-19 Era: A Citizenship Perspective. In Strategic Innovative Marketing and Tourism in the COVID-19 Era, Proceedings of the 9th ICSIMAT Conference, Online, Greece, 2020; Springer International Publishing: New York, NY, USA, 2021.
- Arens, E. How COVID-19 Has Changed Social Media Engagement. Available online: https://sproutsocial.com/insights/covid19-social-media-changes/#volume-updates (accessed on 17 July 2020).
- Sheth, J. Impact of Covid-19 on consumer behavior: Will the old habits return or die? J. Bus. Res. 2020, 117, 280–283.
- Theodoridis, P.K.; Kavoura, A.; Theodoridis, P.K.; Kavoura, A. The Impact of COVID-19 on Consumer Behaviour: The Case of Greece. In Strategic Innovative Marketing and Tourism in the COVID-19 Era, Proceedings of the 9th ICSIMAT Conference, Online, Greece, 2020; Springer International Publishing: New York, NY, USA, 2021.
- Chan, C.-S. Developing a Conceptual Model for the Post-COVID-19 Pandemic Changing Tourism Risk Perception. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 2021, 18, 9824.
- Grewal, D.; Herhausen, D.; Ludwig, S.; Ordenes, F.V. The future of digital communication research: Considering dynamics and multimodality. J. Retail. 2021.
- Lamb, T.L.; Winter, S.R.; Rice, S.; Ruskin, K.J.; Vaughn, A. Factors that predict passengers willingness to fly during and after the COVID-19 pandemic. J. Air Transp. Manag. 2020, 89, 101897.
- Sigala, M. Tourism and COVID-19: Impacts and implications for advancing and resetting industry and research. J. Bus. Res. 2020, 117, 312–321.
- Abdullah, M.; Dias, C.; Muley, D.; Shahin, M. Exploring the impacts of COVID-19 on travel behavior and mode preferences. Transp. Res. Interdiscip. Perspect. 2020, 8, 100255.
- Shamshiripour, A.; Rahimi, E.; Shabanpour, R.; Mohammadian, A.K. How is COVID-19 reshaping activity-travel behavior? Evidence from a comprehensive survey in Chicago. Transp. Res. Interdiscip. Perspect. 2020, 7, 100216.
- Miao, L.; Im, J.; Fu, X.; Kim, H.; Zhang, Y.E. Proximal and distal post-COVID travel behavior. Ann. Tour. Res. 2021, 88, 103159.
- Gössling, S.; Scott, D.; Hall, C.M. Pandemics, tourism and global change: A rapid assessment of COVID-19. J. Sustain. Tour. 2020, 29, 1–20.
- Falahuddin, A.F.; Tergu, C.T.; Brollo, R.; Nanda, R.O. Post COVID-19 Pandemic International Travel: Does Risk Perception and Stress-Level Affect Future Travel Intention. J. Ilmu Sos. Ilmu Polit. 2020, 24, 1–14.
- Yu, M.; Li, Z.; Yu, Z.; He, J.; Zhou, J. Communication related health crisis on social media: A case of COVID-19 outbreak. Curr. Issues Tour. 2020, 24, 2699–2705.
- Kock, F.; Josiassen, A.; Assaf, A.G. On the origin of tourist behavior. Ann. Tour. Res. 2018, 73, 180–183.
- Heitmann, S. Tourist behaviour and tourism motivation. Res. Themes Tour. 2011, 3, 31–44.
- Iso-Ahola, S.E. Towards a social psychology of recreational travel. Leis. Stud. 1983, 2, 45–56.
- Aebli, A.; Volgger, M.; Taplin, R. A two-dimensional approach to travel motivation in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic. Curr. Issues Tour. 2021, 1–16. Available online: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/13683500.2021.1906631?casa_token=vuVBzysBpqgAAAAA%3A8aa6nG_j4mAmh6lK2BIy8gbiUkCud167xIbonIUlQ5hulmftFqk4h1jp7v0zU3k9Aeub_fp6bXczJA (accessed on 23 October 2021).
- Camilleri, M.A. Tourism Planning and Destination Marketing; Emerald Publishing: Bingley, UK, 2019.
- Khan, M.J.; Chelliah, S.; Ahmed, S. Intention to visit India among potential travellers: Role of travel motivation, perceived travel risks, and travel constraints. Tour. Hosp. Res. 2019, 19, 351–367.
- Godovykh, M.; Pizam, A.; Bahja, F. Antecedents and outcomes of health risk perceptions in tourism, following the COVID-19 pandemic. Tour. Rev. 2021, 76, 737–748.
- Shin, H.; Nicolau, J.L.; Kang, J.; Sharma, A.; Lee, H. Travel decision determinants during and after COVID-19: The role of tourist trust, travel constraints, and attitudinal factors. Tour. Manag. 2022, 88, 104428.
- Wilson, M.E.; Chen, L.H. Restarting travel in the era of COVID-19: Preparing anew. J. Travel Med. 2020, 27, taaa108.
- Sánchez-Cañizares, S.M.; Cabeza-Ramírez, L.J.; Muñoz-Fernández, G.; Fuentes-García, F.J. Impact of the perceived risk from Covid-19 on intention to travel. Curr. Issues Tour. 2021, 24, 970–984.
- Kusumaningrum, D.A.; Wachyuni, S.S. The shifting trends in travelling after the COVID 19 pandemic. Int. J. Tour. Hosp. Rev. 2020. Available online: https://www.emerald.com/insight/content/doi/10.1108/JTF-04-2020-0063/full/html?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=rss_journalLatest (accessed on 23 October 2021).
- Matiza, T. Post-COVID-19 crisis travel behaviour: Towards mitigating the effects of perceived risk. J. Tour. Futures 2020.
- Koo, C.; Joun, Y.; Han, H.; Chung, N. A structural model for destination travel intention as a media exposure Belief-desire-intention model perspective. Int. J. Contemp. Hosp. Manag. 2016, 28, 1338–1360.
- Wachyuni, S.S.; Kusumaningrum, D.A. The effect of COVID-19 pandemic: How are the future tourist behavior? J. Educ. Soc. Behav. Sci. 2020, 33, 67–76.
- Wang, L.; Kirilenko, A.P. Information and Communication Technologies in Tourism; Do tourists from different countries interpret travel experience with the same feeling? Sentiment analysis of TripAdvisor reviews; Springer Publishing: New York, NY, USA, 2021; pp. 294–301.
- PAVIĆ, Sandra. The Impact of COVID-19 on Technology in the Hotel Industry. Ph.D. Thesis, RIT, Dubrovnik, Zagreb, Croatia, 2021.
- Wani, M.; Raghavan, V.; Abraham, D.; Kleist, V. Beyond utilitarian factors: User experience and travel company website successes. Inf. Syst. Front. 2017, 19, 769–785.
- Seyitoğlu, F.; Ivanov, S. Service robots as a tool for physical distancing in tourism. Curr. Issues Tour. 2021, 24, 1631–1634.
- Çakar, K.; Aykol, Ş. Understanding travellers’ reactions to robotic services: A multiple case study approach of robotic hotels. J. Hosp. Tour. Technol. 2020, 12, 155–174.
- Pencarelli, T. The digital revolution in the travel and tourism industry. Inf. Technol. Tour. 2020, 22, 455–476.
- Stankov, U.; Gretzel, U. Tourism 4.0 technologies and tourist experiences: A human-centered design perspective. Inf. Technol. Tour. 2020, 22, 477–488.
- Borges-Tiago, T.; Veríssimo, J.; Tiago, F. Smart tourism: A scientometric review (2008–2020). Eur. J. Tour. Res. 2021, 30, 3006.
- Cohen, S.A.; Hopkins, D. Autonomous vehicles and the future of urban tourism. Ann. Tour. Res. 2019, 74, 33–42.
- Murphy, J.; Gretzel, U.; Pesonen, J. Marketing robot services in hospitality and tourism: The role of anthropomorphism. J. Travel Tour. Mark. 2019, 36, 784–795.
- Werthner, H.; Klein, S. Information Technology and Tourism: A Challenging Ralationship; Springer: Vienna, Austria, 1999.
- Buhalis, D. Technology in tourism-from information communication technologies to eTourism and smart tourism towards ambient intelligence tourism: A perspective article. Tour. Rev. 2020, 75, 267–272.
- Xiang, Z. From digitization to the age of acceleration: On information technology and tourism. Tour. Manag. Perspect. 2018, 25, 147–150.
- Wang, D.; Xiang, Z.; Fesenmaier, D.R. Smartphone use in everyday life and travel. J. Travel Res. 2016, 55, 52–63.
- Wang, D.; Park, S.; Fesenmaier, D.R. The role of smartphones in mediating the touristic experience. J. Travel Res. 2012, 51, 371–387.
- Law, R.; Chan, I.C.C.; Wang, L. A comprehensive review of mobile technology use in hospitality and tourism. J. Hosp. Mark. Manag. 2018, 27, 626–648.
- Gretzel, U.; Fuchs, M.; Baggio, R.; Hoepken, W.; Law, R.; Neidhardt, J.; Pesonen, J.; Zanker, M.; Xiang, Z. e-Tourism beyond COVID-19: A call for transformative research. Inf. Technol. Tour. 2020, 22, 187–203.
- Wagler, A.; Hanus, M.D. Comparing virtual reality tourism to real-life experience: Effects of presence and engagement on attitude and enjoyment. Commun. Res. Rep. 2018, 35, 456–464.
- Kwok, A.O.; Koh, S.G. COVID-19 and extended reality (X.R.). Curr. Issues Tour. 2021, 24, 1935–1940.
- Huertas, A.; Gonzalo, J. The Role of Augmented Reality in Destination Branding. Tour. Hosp. Manag. 2020, 26, 419–436.
- Wyman, O. To Recovery & Beyond: The Future of Travel & Tourism in the Wake of COVID-19; WTTC: London, UK, 2020.
- Susanto, I.; Kiswantoro, A. Tourism Branding: A Strategy of Regional Tourism Sustainability Post COVID-19 in Yogyakarta. IOP Conf. Ser. Earth Environ. Sci. 2021, 704, 012003.
- Ivanova, M.; Ivanov, I.K.; Ivanov, S. Travel behaviour after the pandemic: The case of Bulgaria. Anatolia 2021, 32, 1–11.
- Tiago, T.; Couto, J.P.; Tiago, F.; Faria, S.D. From comments to hashtags strategies: Enhancing cruise communication in Facebook and Twitter. Tourismos 2017, 12, 19–47.
- Tiago, T.; Veríssimo, J. Digital marketing and social media: Why bother? Bus. Horiz. 2014, 57, 703–708.
- Borges-Tiago, M.T.; Arruda, C.; Tiago, F.; Rita, P. Differences between TripAdvisor and Booking.com in branding co-creation. J. Bus. Res. 2021, 123, 380–388.
- Fotis, J.; Buhalis, D.; Rossides, N. Social Media Use and Impact during the Holiday Travel Planning Process; Springer: Vienna, Austria, 2012.
- Hennig-Thurau, T.; Hofacker, C.F.; Bloching, B. Marketing the pinball way: Understanding how social media change the generation of value for consumers and companies. J. Interact. Mark. 2013, 27, 237–241.
- Kavoura, A.; Stavrianeas, A. The importance of social media on holiday visitors’ choices—The case of Athens, Greece. EuroMed J. Bus. 2015, 10, 360–374.
- Buhalis, D.; Sinarta, Y. Real-time co-creation and nowness service: Lessons from tourism and hospitality. J. Travel Tour. Mark. 2019, 36, 563–582.
- Hysa, B.; Karasek, A.; Zdonek, I. Social media usage by different generations as a tool for sustainable tourism marketing in society 5.0 idea. Sustainability 2021, 13, 1018.
- Sotiriadis, M.D. Sharing tourism experiences in social media: A literature review and a set of suggested business strategies. Int. J. Contemp. Hosp. Manag. 2017, 29, 179–225.
- MacSween, S.; Canziani, B. Travel booking intentions and information searching during COVID-19. Int. Hosp. Rev. 2021. ahead-of-print.
- Tussyadiah, I.P.; Park, S. When guests trust hosts for their words: Host description and trust in sharing economy. Tour. Manag. 2018, 67, 261–272.
- Marton, Z.; Ernszt, I. Omnipresent Social Media: Is Travelling Imaginable without Smart Devices? Manag. Glob. Transit. Int. Res. J. 2020, 18, 301–322.