- Please check and comment entries here.
Human Resource Management in Crisis Situations
Human resource management (HRM) is essential for the competitive advantage of firms. The entry presents a systematic literature review in the field of human resource management in times of crisis since 2008. The study consists of an analysis of 56 articles published in journals indexed in the Web of Science database. Four themes were identified: economic crisis and HRM, health crisis and HRM, natural disasters and HRM, and political instability and HRM.
2. Theoretical Framework
2.1. Different Crises and HRM
2.1.1. Economic Crisis and HRM
2.1.2. Other Kind of Crisis and HRM
This entry is adapted from 10.3390/su132212406
- Barney, J. Is the resource-based “view” a useful perspective for strategic management? Yes. Acad. Manag. Rev. 2001, 26, 41–56.
- Klaas, B.S. Outsourcing and the HR function: An examination of trends and developments within North American firms. Int. J. Hum. Resour. Manag. 2008, 19, 1500–1514.
- Chang-Richards, Y.; Wilkinson, S.; Seville, E.; Brunsdon, D. Effects of a major disaster on skills shortages in the construction industry. Eng. Constr. Arch. Manag. 2017, 24, 2–20.
- Beardwell, J.; Clark, I. An Introduction to Human Resource Management. In Human Resource Management: A Contempory Approach, 6th ed.; Beardwell, J., Claydon, T., Eds.; Pearson: London, UK, 2010.
- Edvardsson, I.R.; Óskarsson, G.K. Outsourcing of Human Resources: The Case of Small- and Medium-Sized Enterprises. Merits 2021, 1, 5–15.
- Cater, J.J.; Beal, B. Ripple effects on family firms from an externally induced crisis. J. Fam. Bus. Manag. 2014, 4, 62–78.
- Doern, R.; Williams, N.; Vorley, T. Special issue on entrepreneurship and crises: Business as usual? An introduction and review of the literature. Entrep. Reg. Dev. 2019, 31, 400–412.
- Williams, G.A.; Woods, C.L.; Staricek, N.C. Restorative rhetoric and social media: An examination of the Boston Marathon bombing. Commun. Stud. 2017, 68, 385–402.
- Institute for Crisis Management. Annual ICM Crisis Report: News Coverage of Business Crises During 2003; Institute for Crisis Management: Louisville, KY, USA, 2004.
- Wenzel, M.; Stanske, S.; Lieberman, M.B. Strategic responses to crisis. Strat. Manag. J. 2020, 41, V7–V18.
- Abberger, K.; Nierhaus, W. How to Define a Recession? Cesifo Forum 2008, 9, 74–76.
- Santana, M.; Cabrera, R.V.; Gonzalez, J.-L.G. Sources of decline, turnaround strategy and HR strategies and practices: The case of Iberia Airlines. Econ. Ind. Democr. 2018, 40, 583–610.
- Ererdi, C.; Nurgabdeshov, A.; Kozhakhmet, S.; Rofcanin, Y.; Demirbag, M. International HRM in the context of uncertainty and crisis: A systematic review of literature (2000–2018). Int. J. Hum. Resour. Manag. 2021.
- Hofer, C. Turnaround Strategy. J. Bus. Strategy 1980, 1, 19–31.
- Gunnigle, P.; Lavelle, J.; Monaghan, S. Weathering the storm? Multinational companies and human resource management through the global financial crisis. Int. J. Manpow. 2013, 34, 214–231.
- Johnstone, S. Employment practices, labour flexibility and the Great Recession: An automotive case study. Econ. Ind. Democr. 2018, 40, 537–559.
- Zagelmeyer, S.; Heckmann, M.; Kettner, A. Management responses to the global financial crisis in Germany: Adjustment mechanisms at establishment level. Int. J. Hum. Resour. Manag. 2012, 23, 3355–3374.
- Cho, J.; Lee, K.-Y.; Lee, J. Dismissal law and human resource management in SMEs: Lessons from Korea. Asia Pac. J. Hum. Resour. 2011, 49, 105–123.
- Adikaram, A.S.; Naotunna, N.; Priyankara, H. Battling COVID-19 with human resource management bundling. Empl. Relat. 2021, 43, 1269–1289.
- Sheehan, M. Investing in management development in turbulent times and perceived organisational performance: A study of UK MNCs and their subsidiaries. Int. J. Hum. Resour. Manag. 2012, 23, 2491–2513.
- Shen, J.; D’Netto, B. Impact of the 2007–09 global economic crisis on human resource management among Chinese export-oriented enterprises. Asia Pac. Bus. Rev. 2012, 18, 45–64.
- Sun, X.; Chang-Richards, A.Y.; Kleinsman, T.; Innes, A. Improving human resource mobilisation for post-disaster recovery: A New Zealand case study. Int. J. Disaster Risk Reduct. 2020, 52, 101998.
- Merlot, E.S.; De Cieri, H. The challenges of the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami for strategic international human resource management in multinational nonprofit enterprises. Int. J. Hum. Resour. Manag. 2012, 23, 1303–1319.
- Durst, S.; Palacios Acuache, M.M.G.; Bruns, G. Peruvian small and medium-sized enterprises and COVID-19: Time for a new start! J. Entrep. Emerg. Econ. 2021, 13, 648–672.
- Collings, D.G.; Nyberg, A.J.; Wright, P.M.; McMackin, J. Leading through paradox in a COVID-19 world: Human resources comes of age. Hum. Resour. Manag. J. 2021.
- Alam, F.; Almaghthawi, A.; Katib, I.; Albeshri, A.; Mehmood, R. iResponse: An AI and IoT-Enabled Framework for Autonomous COVID-19 Pandemic Management. Sustainability 2021, 13, 3797.
- Gao, Z.; Tan, F.P.L. Nurses’ experiences in response to COVID-19 in a psychiatric ward in Singapore. Int. Nurs. Rev. 2021, 68, 196–201.
- Radic, A.; Lück, M.; Ariza-Montes, A.; Han, H. Fear and Trembling of Cruise Ship Employees: Psychological Effects of the COVID-19 Pandemic. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 2020, 17, 6741.
- Tanpipat, W.; Lim, H.; Deng, X. Implementing Remote Working Policy in Corporate Offices in Thailand: Strategic Facility Management Perspective. Sustainability 2021, 13, 1284.
- Sanders, K.; Nguyen, P.T.; Bouckenooghe, D.; Rafferty, A.; Schwarz, G. Unraveling the What and How of Organizational Communication to Employees during COVID-19 Pandemic: Adopting an Attributional Lens. J. Appl. Behav. Sci. 2020, 56, 289–293.
- Fee, A.; McGrath-Champ, S.; Berti, M. Protecting expatriates in hostile environments: Institutional forces influencing the safety and security practices of internationally active organisations. Int. J. Hum. Resour. Manag. 2017, 30, 1709–1736.
- Birkeland, M.S.; Hansen, M.B.; Blix, I.; Solberg, Ø.; Heir, T. For Whom Does Time Heal Wounds? Individual Differences in Stability and Change in Posttraumatic Stress After the 2011 Oslo Bombing. J. Traum. Stress 2017, 30, 19–26.