- Please check and comment entries here.
Improving Water Efficiency in a Swimming-Pool Complex
Concomitantly, the possibility of recycling and reusing the water from filter backwashing was evaluated. The pools consumed 25.6% of water, the filter backwashing 24.5%, and the showers 34.7%. Despite the current impossibility of reducing water consumption in pools and filter backwashing, it is feasible to promote more efficient use of water through reducing water consumption by adopting simple water-saving initiatives for showers, taps, and flushing cisterns. These were organized into three distinct scenarios: (a) flushing cistern volume adjustment and the replacement of washbasin and kitchen taps; (b) flushing cistern volume adjustment and shower replacement and (c) flushing cistern volume adjustment, shower, washbasin, and kitchen taps replacement. Under scenarios 1, 2, and 3, the water consumption reduction was 8.0, 13.2, and 20.4%, respectively. The initial investment for scenario 1 was €2290.5, €859.0 for scenario 2 and €3149.5 for scenario 3; the annual water bill reduction was €7115.4, €11,518.1, and €17,655.9, respectively. Therefore, the turnover of the investment was four (scenario 1), one (scenario 2), and three months (scenario 3). The filter washings attained the required standard for irrigation after being subjected to 15 h of sedimentation.
2. Current Insights
This entry is adapted from 10.3390/app112210530
- Fidar, A.; Memon, F.A.; Butler, D. Environmental implications of water efficient microcomponents in residential buildings. Sci. Total Environ. 2010, 408, 5828–5835.
- Ma, T.; Sun, S.; Fu, G.; Hall, J.W.; Ni, Y.; He, L.; Yi, J.; Zhao, N.; Du, Y.; Pei, T.; et al. Pollution exacerbates China’s water scarcity and its regional inequality. Nat. Commun. 2020, 11, 650.
- Kundzewicz, Z.W.; Mata, L.J.; Arnell, N.W.; Döll, P.; Jimenez, B.; Miller, K.; Oki, T.; Şen, Z.; Shiklomanov, I. The implications of projected climate change for freshwater resources and their management. Hydrol. Sci. J. 2008, 53, 3–10.
- Spinoni, J.; Vogt, J.V.; Naumann, G.; Barbosa, P.; Dosio, A. Will drought events become more frequent and severe in Europe? Int. J. Climatol. 2018, 38, 1718–1736.
- Ribeiro, J.M.P.; Bocasanta, S.L.; Ávila, B.O.; Magtoto, M.; Jonck, A.V.; Gabriel, G.M.; Guerra, J.B.S.O.D.A. The adoption of strategies for sustainable cities: A comparative study between Seattle and Florianopolis legislation for energy and water efficiency in buildings. J. Clean. Prod. 2018, 197, 366–378.
- Meireles, I.; Sousa, V. Assessing water, energy and emissions reduction from water conservation measures in buildings: A methodological approach. Environ. Sci. Pollut. Res. 2020, 27, 4612–4629.
- Rodrigues, F.; Silva-Afonso, A.; Pinto, A.; Macedo, J.; Santos, A.S.; Pimentel-Rodrigues, C. Increasing water and energy efficiency in university buildings: A case study. Environ. Sci. Pollut. Res. 2020, 27, 4571–4581.
- Kampel, W.; Aas, B.; Bruland, A. Characteristics of energy-efficient swimming facilities—A case study. Energy 2014, 75, 508–512.
- Kampel, W.; Carlucci, S.; Aas, B.; Bruland, A. A proposal of energy performance indicators for a reliable benchmark of swimming facilities. Energy Build. 2016, 129, 186–198.
- Nitter, T.B.; Carlucci, S.; Olsen, N.; Svendsen, K. Energy use and perceived health in indoor swimming pool facilities. IOP Conf. Ser. Mater. Sci. Eng. 2019, 609, 042051.
- Nitter, T.B.; Svendsen, K.V.H. Covariation amongst pool management, trichloramine exposure and asthma for swimmers in Norway. Sci. Total Environ. 2020, 723, 138070.
- Hof, A.; Schmitt, T. Urban and tourist land use patterns and water consumption: Evidence from Mallorca, Balearic Islands. Land Use Policy 2011, 28, 792–804.
- Fisher-Jeffes, L.; Gertse, G.; Armitage, N. Mitigating the impact of swimming pools on domestic water demand. Water SA 2015, 41, 238–246.
- Morote, Á.-F.; Saurí, D.; Hernández, M. Residential Tourism, Swimming Pools, and Water Demand in the Western Mediterranean. Prof. Geogr. 2017, 69, 1–11.
- Hof, A.; Morán-Tejeda, E.; Lorenzo-Lacruz, J.; Blázquez-Salom, M. Swimming Pool Evaporative Water Loss and Water Use in the Balearic Islands (Spain). Water 2018, 10, 1883.
- Gomes, J.; de Piscinas, A.H. Caso de Estudo realizado nas Piscinas Municipais de Mangualde. Dissertação para MSc em Engª Civil, Faculdade de Engenharia, Universidade do Porto, Porto, Portugal, 2015. (In Portuguese).
- Maglionico, M.; Stojkov, I. Water consumption in a public swimming pool. Water Supply 2015, 15, 1304–1311.
- Marinopoulos, I.S.; Katsifarakis, K.L. Optimization of Energy and Water Management of Swimming Pools. A Case Study in Thessaloniki, Greece. Procedia Environ. Sci. 2017, 38, 773–780.
- Cardoso, B.; Gaspar, A.R.; Góis, J.C.; Rodrigues, E. Energy and Water Consumption Characterization of Portuguese Indoor Swimming Pools. In Proceedings of the CYTEF 2018 VII Congreso ibérico de Ciências y Técnicas del Frío, Valencia, Spain, 19–21 June 2018.
- Dias, G.M. Recuperação parcial da água de lavagem dos filtros utilizados no tratamento da água de piscinas de uso público. MSc em Engenharia Química, Instituto Politécnico do Porto, Porto, Portugal, 2012. (In Portuguese).
- Wyczarska-Kokot, J. The Study of Possibilities for Reuse of Washings from Swimming Pool Circulation Systems. Ecol. Chem. Eng. S 2016, 23, 447–459.
- Łaskawiec, E.; Dudziak, M.; Wyczarska-Kokot, J. Assessment of the possibility of recycling backwashing water from the swimming pool water treatment system. Ecol. Chem. Eng. A. 2016, 23, 401–410.
- Wyczarska-Kokot, J.; Lempart, A. The reuse of washings from pool filtration plants after the use of simple purification processes. Arch. Civ. Eng. Environ. 2018, 11, 163–170.
- Wyczarska-Kokot, J.; Lempart, A. The Influence of the Filtration Bed type in the Pool Water Treatment System on Washings Quality. Ecol. Chem. Eng. A 2019, 26, 535–545.
- Liebersbach, J.; Żabnieńska-Góra, A.; Polarczyk, I.; Sayegh, M.A. Feasibility of Grey Water Heat Recovery in Indoor Swimming Pools. Energies 2021, 14, 4221.
- Silva-Afonso, A.; Pimentel-Rodrigues, C. The importance of water efficiency in buildings in Mediterranean countries: The Portuguese experience. Int. J. Syst. Appl. Eng. Devel. 2011, 5, 17–24.
- Silva-Afonso, A.; Rodrigues, F.; Pimentel-Rodrigues, C. Water efficiency in buildings: Assessment of its impact on energy efficiency and reducing GHG emissions. In Proceedings of the 6th IASME/WSEAS International Conference on Energy & Environment—EE’11, Cambridge, UK, 23–25 February 2011.
- Pinto, A.; Afonso, A.S.; Santos, A.; Pimentel-Rodrigues, C.; Rodrigues, F. Nexus Water Energy for Hotel Sector Efficiency. Energy Procedia 2017, 111, 215–225.
- Englart, S.; Jedlikowski, A. The influence of different water efficiency ratings of taps and mixers on energy and water consumption in buildings. SN Appl. Sci. 2019, 1, 525.
- Wyczarska-Kokot, J.; Lempart-Rapacewicz, A.; Dudziak, M.; Łaskawiec, E. Impact of swimming pool water treatment system factors on the content of selected disinfection by-products. Environ. Monit. Assess. 2020, 192, 722.
- Wyczarska-Kokot, J.; Lempart-Rapacewicz, A.; Dudziak, M. Analysis of Free and Combined Chlorine Concentrations in Swimming Pool Water and an Attempt to Determine a Reliable Water Sampling Point. Water 2020, 12, 311.
- Doménech-Sánchez, A.; Laso, E.; Berrocal, C.I. Water loss in swimming pool filter backwashing processes in the Balearic Islands (Spain). Water Policy 2021, 23, 1314–1328.
- ANQIP. ETA 0905—Sistemas Prediais de Reutilização e Reciclagem de Águas Cinzentas. Available online: https://anqip.pt/index.php/pt/comissoes-tecnicas/98-comissao-tecnica-0905 (accessed on 1 September 2021).
- Decreto-Lei n.º 306/2007. Regime da Qualidade da água Destinada ao Consumo Humano. Available online: https://dre.pt/pesquisa/-/search/640931/details/maximized (accessed on 1 September 2021).
- Decreto-Lei n.º 152/2017. Altera o Regime da Qualidade da Água Para Consumo Humano, Transpondo as Diretivas n.os 2013/51/EURATOM e 2015/1787. Available online: https://dre.pt/home/-/dre/114315242/details/maximized (accessed on 1 September 2021).
- Lempart, A.; Kudlek, E.; Dudziak, M.; Zawadzka, A. The source of toxicity of backwash water from a swimming pool filter bed washings. Archit. Civ. Eng. Environ. 2018, 11, 139–146.