- Please check and comment entries here.
Mandibular Leeway Space of Taiwanese Children
Leeway space, the most crucial space for the alignment of permanent teeth, is the difference between the sum of the mesiodistal crown widths of the primary canines and molars and that of their successors, the permanent canines and premolars. Primary molars have greater mesiodistal crown widths than the permanent premolars that replace them, especially the primary second molar. Leeway space has been preserved and utilized to resolve crowding, particularly by allowing the first molars to drift mesially to establish a Class I molar relationship in the late mixed dentition.
2. Current Insights
The average leeway space was 1.29 ± 1.48 mm on each side of the lower arch.
The leeway space of children aged 5–6 years was significantly greater than that of children aged 7–8 years.
No gender differences in mandibular leeway space were found.
Permanent teeth had a greater impact on leeway space for girls than for boys.
This entry is adapted from 10.3390/children8110999
- Proffit, W.R.; Fields Jr, H.W.; Sarver, D.M. Contemporary Orthodontics; Elsevier Health Sciences: Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 2006.
- Fernandes, L.Q.; Almeida, R.C.; de Andrade, B.N.; Felipe de Assis, R.C.; Almeida, M.A.d.O.; Artese, F.R. Tooth size discrepancy: Is the E space similar to the leeway space? J. World Fed. Orthod. 2013, 2, e49–e51.
- Vyas, M.B.; Hantodkar, N. Resolving mandibular arch discrepancy through utilization of leeway space. Contemp. Clin. Dent. 2011, 2, 115–118.
- Gianelly, A.A. Crowding: Timing of treatment. Angle Orthod. 1994, 64, 415–418.
- Ngan, P.; Alkire, R.G.; Fields, H., Jr. Management of space problems in the primary and mixed dentitions. J. Am. Dent. Assoc. 1999, 130, 1330–1339.
- Reddy, M.; Jain, S.; Raghav, P.; Mohan, S.; Wadhawan, A. Sequential Utilization of E-space for Correction of Moderate Crowding: A Case Report. Int. J. Clin. Pediatr. Dent. 2018, 11, 519–525.
- Eigbobo, J.; Sote, E.; Oredugba, F. Tooth Crown Dimensions of Primary Dentition in the Nigerian Population. Acta Stomatol. Croat 2010, 44, 269–277.
- Allen, T.R.; Trojan, T.M.; Harris, E.F. Evidence favoring a secular reduction in mandibular leeway space. Angle Orthod. 2017, 87, 576–582.
- Botero Mariaca, P.M.; Gonzalez Ariza, S.; Meneses, D.; Zapata, E.; Gonzalo Alvarez, L. Appraisal of the difference between the mesiodistal diameters of deciduous incisors and molars and permanent teeth. Eur. J. Paediatr. Dent. 2015, 16, 39–44.
- Bishara, S.E.; Hoppens, B.J.; Jakobsen, J.R.; Kohout, F.J. Changes in the molar relationship between the deciduous and permanent dentitions: A longitudinal study. Am. J. Orthod. Dentofac. Orthop. 1988, 93, 19–28.
- Harila-Kaera, V.; Heikkinen, T.; Alvesalo, L.; Osborne, R.H. Permanent tooth crown dimensions in prematurely born children. Early Hum. Dev. 2001, 62, 131–147.
- Almeida, R.R.D.; Oltramari-Navarro, P.V.P.; Almeida, M.R.D.; Conti, A.C.D.C.F.; Navarro, R.D.L.; Pacenko, M.R. The nance lingual arch: An auxiliary device in solving lower anterior crowding. Braz. Dent. J. 2011, 22, 329–333.
- Martín-Vacas, A.; Caleya, A.M.; Gallardo, N.E. Comparative Analysis of Space Maintenance Using Transpalatal Arch and Nance Button. J. Clin. Pediatr. Dent. 2021, 45, 129–134.
- Hudson, A.; Harris, A.; Mohamed, N. Early identification and management of mandibular canine ectopia: Clinical. S. Afr. Dent. J. 2011, 66, 462–467.
- Park, J.; Tai, K.; Ikeda, M.; Kanao, A. Regaining leeway space and anterior crossbite correction with a modified maxillary molar distalizing appliance. J. Clin. Pediatr. Dent. 2013, 37, 329–334.
- Steigman, S.; Harari, D.; Kuraita-Landman, S. Relationship between mesiodistal crown diameter of posterior deciduous and succedaneous teeth in Israeli children. Eur. J. Orthod. 1982, 4, 219–227.
- Otuyemi, O.D.; Noar, J.H. A comparison of crown size dimensions of the permanent teeth in a Nigerian and a British population. Eur. J. Orthod. 1996, 18, 623–628.
- Hattab, F.N. Mesiodistal crown diameters and tooth size discrepancy of permanent dentition in thalassemic patients. J. Clin. Exp. Dent. 2013, 5, e239.
- Bishara, S.E.; Garcia, A.F.; Jakobsen, J.R.; Fahl, J.A. Mesiodistal crown dimensions in Mexico and the United States. Angle Orthod. 1986, 56, 315–323.
- Ebeling, C.F.; Ingervall, B.; Hede-gård, B.; Lewin, T. Secular changes in tooth size in Swedish men. Acta Odontol. Scand. 1973, 31, 141–147.
- Hille, H.M. The Mean Leeway Space in a Population of Orthodontic Patients in Zurich. Ph.D. Thesis, University of Zurich, Zürich, Switzerland, 2010.