- Please check and comment entries here.
Vulnerability of Buildings
Vulnerability is defined for buildings as the degree of loss resulting from a hazard at a certain severity level and depends on the reduction in resistance and the level of decay in the structures as a result of constant exposure to environmental factors (such as seismic actions).
2. State of the Art of the Life Cycle Environmental Impact Assessment of Vulnerable Buildings
This entry is adapted from 10.3390/su131810204
- Wei, H.-H.; Shohet, I.M.; Skibniewski, M.J.; Shapira, S.; Yao, X. Assessing the lifecycle sustainability costs and benefits of seismic mitigation designs for buildings. J. Archit. Eng. 2016, 22, 4015011.
- Bhattacharya, S.; Nayak, S.; Dutta, S.C. A critical review of retrofitting methods for unreinforced masonry structures. Int. J. Disaster Risk Reduct. 2014, 7, 51–67.
- Tucker, B.E. Reducing Earthquake Risk. Science 2013, 341, 1070–1072.
- Bilham, R. The seismic future of cities. Bull. Earthq. Eng. 2009, 7, 839–887.
- IEA International Energy Agency. Energy Efficiency: Buildings. Available online: https://www.iea.org/topics/energyefficiency/buildings/ (accessed on 7 September 2019).
- C40 Cities. The Net Zero Carbon Buildings Declaration. Available online: https://www.c40.org/other/net-zero-carbon-buildings-declaration (accessed on 7 November 2020).
- UN. Emissions Gap Report 2019; UN: New York, NY, USA, 2019.
- O’Connor, J. What Can We Do about Embodied Carbon? Canadian Architect: Toronto, ON, Canada, 2020; pp. 36–39.
- Chastas, P.; Theodosiou, T.; Bikas, D. Embodied energy in residential buildings-towards the nearly zero energy building: A literature review. Build. Environ. 2016, 105, 267–282.
- BS EN 15978, Sustainability of Construction Works, Assessment of Environmental Performance of Buildings: Calculation Method. Available online: https://standards.iteh.ai/catalog/standards/cen/62c22cef-5666-4719-91f9-c21cb6aa0ab3/en-15978-2011 (accessed on 7 September 2021).
- International Energy Agency. Guideline for Design Professionals and Consultants Part 1: Basics for the Assessment of Embodied Energy and Embodied GHG Emissions Energy in Buildings and Communities Programme; International Energy Agency: Paris, France, 2016.
- Ramesh, T.; Prakash, R.; Shukla, K.K. Life cycle energy analysis of buildings: An overview. Energy Build. 2010, 42, 1592–1600.
- Shrivastava, S.; Chini, A. Estimating energy consumption during construction of buildings: A contractor’s perspective. In Proceedings of the World Sustainable Building Conference, Helsinki, Finland, 18–21 October 2011; pp. 18–21.
- Dixit, M.K.; Fernández-Solís, J.L.; Lavy, S.; Culp, C.H. Identification of parameters for embodied energy measurement: A literature review. Energy Build. 2010, 42, 1238–1247.
- OECD. Global Material Resources Outlook to 2060: Economic Drivers and Environmental Consequences; OECD: Paris, France, 2018.
- Rajagopalan, N.; Bilec, M.M.; Landis, A.E. Life cycle assessment evaluation of green product labeling systems for residential construction. Int. J. Life Cycle Assess. 2012, 17, 753–763.
- Marini, A.; Passoni, C.; Belleri, A.; Feroldi, F.; Preti, M.; Metelli, G.; Riva, P.; Giuriani, E.; Plizzari, G. Combining seismic retrofit with energy refurbishment for the sustainable renovation of RC buildings: A proof of concept. Eur. J. Environ. Civ. Eng. 2017, 1–21.
- Feroldi, F.; Marini, A.; Badiani, B.; Plizzari, G.A.; Giuriani, E.; Riva, P.; Belleri, A. Energy efficiency upgrading, architectural restyling and structural retrofit of modern buildings by means of “engineered” double skin façade. In Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Structures & Architecture (ICSA2013), Guimaraes, Portugal, 24–26 July 2013; pp. 1859–1866.
- Mora, T.D.; Righi, A.; Peron, F.; Romagnoni, P. Functional, Energy and Seismic Retrofitting in Existing Building: An Innovative System Based on xlam Technology. Energy Procedia 2015, 82, 486–492.
- Georgescu, E.-S.; Georgescu, M.; Macri, Z.; Marino, E.; Margani, G.; Meita, V.; Pana, R.; Cascone, S.; Petran, H.; Rossi, P.; et al. Seismic and Energy Renovation: A Review of the Code Requirements and Solutions in Italy and Romania. Sustainability 2018, 10, 1561.
- Basiricò, T.; Enea, D. Seismic and energy retrofit of the historic urban fabric of Enna (Italy). Sustainability 2018, 10, 1138.
- De Vita, M.; Mannella, A.; Sabino, A.; Marchetti, A. Seismic Retrofit Measures for Masonry Walls of Historical Buildings, from an Energy Saving Perspective. Sustainability 2018, 10, 984.
- Mora, T.D.; Pinamonti, M.; Teso, L.; Boscato, G.; Peron, F.; Romagnoni, P. Renovation of a school building: Energy retrofit and seismic upgrade in a school building in Motta Di Livenza. Sustainability 2018, 10, 969.
- Lamperti Tornaghi, M.; Loli, A.; Negro, P. Balanced Evaluation of Structural and Environmental Performances in Building Design. Buildings 2018, 8, 52.
- Loli, A.; Lamperti Tornaghi, M.; Negro, P. A method to include life-cycle analysis in earthquake design. In Proceedings of the 16th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Santiago, Chile, 9–13 January 2017.
- Rossi, B.; Marique, A.-F.; Reiter, S. Life-cycle assessment of residential buildings in three different European locations, case study. Build. Environ. 2012, 51, 402–407.
- Wei, H.-H.; Skibniewski, M.J.; Shohet, I.M.; Yao, X. Lifecycle Environmental Performance of Natural-Hazard Mitigation for Buildings. J. Perform. Constr. Facil. 2016, 30, 04015042.
- Menna, C.; Asprone, D.; Jalayer, F.; Prota, A.; Manfredi, G. Assessment of ecological sustainability of a building subjected to potential seismic events during its lifetime. Int. J. Life Cycle Assess. 2013, 18, 504–515.
- Hasik, V.; Chhabra, J.P.S.; Warn, G.P.; Bilec, M.M. Review of approaches for integrating loss estimation and life cycle assessment to assess impacts of seismic building damage and repair. Eng. Struct. 2018, 175, 123–137.
- Applied Technology Council for the Federal Emergency Management Agency. Techniques for the Seismic Rehabilitation of Existing Buildings; Applied Technology Council for the Federal Emergency Management Agency: Washington, DC, USA, 2006; Volume FEMA 547.
- Applied Technology Council for the Federal Emergency Management Agency. Next-Generation Methodology for Seismic Performance Assessment of Buildings; Applied Technology Council for the Federal Emergency Management Agency: Washington, DC, USA, 2012; Volume FEMA P-58.
- Welsh-Huggins, S.J.; Liel, A.B. A life-cycle framework for integrating green building and hazard-resistant design: Examining the seismic impacts of buildings with green roofs. Struct. Infrastruct. Eng. 2017, 13, 19–33.
- Chiu, C.K.; Chen, M.R.; Chiu, C.H. Financial and Environmental Payback Periods of Seismic Retrofit Investments for Reinforced Concrete Buildings Estimated Using a Novel Method. J. Archit. Eng. 2013, 19, 112–118.
- Feese, C.; Li, Y.; Bulleit, W.M. Assessment of Seismic Damage of Buildings and Related Environmental Impacts. J. Perform. Constr. Facil. 2015, 29, 04014106.
- Padgett, J.E.; Li, Y. Risk-Based Assessment of Sustainability and Hazard Resistance of Structural Design. J. Perform. Constr. Facil. 2016, 30, 04014208.
- Alirezaei, M.; Noori, M.; Tatari, O.; Mackie, K.R.; Elgamal, A. BIM-based Damage Estimation of Buildings under Earthquake Loading Condition. Procedia Eng. 2016, 145, 1051–1058.
- Comber, M.V.; Poland, C.D. Disaster Resilience and Sustainable Design: Quantifying the Benefits of a Holistic Design Approach. In Proceedings of the Structures Congress, Pittsburgh, PA, USA, 2–4 May 2013; American Society of Civil Engineers: Reston, VA, USA, 2013; pp. 2717–2728.
- Simonen, K.; Merrifield, S.; Almufti, I.; Strobel, K.; Tipler, J. Integrating Environmental Impacts as Another Measure of Earthquake Performance for Tall Buildings in High Seismic Zones. In Proceedings of the Structures Congress, Portland, OR, USA, 23–25 April 2015; American Society of Civil Engineers: Reston, VA, USA, 2015; pp. 933–944.
- Welsh-Huggins, S.J.; Liel, A.B. Evaluating Multiobjective Outcomes for Hazard Resilience and Sustainability from Enhanced Building Seismic Design Decisions. J. Struct. Eng. 2018, 144, 04018108.
- Simonen, K.; Huang, M.; Aicher, C.; Morris, P. Embodied carbon as a proxy for the environmental impact of earthquake damage repair. Energy Build. 2018, 164, 131–139.
- Sarkisian, M.P. Design of environmentally responsible structures in regions of high seismic risk. Struct. Infrastruct. Eng. 2014, 10, 849–864.
- Welsh-Huggins, S.J.; Liel, A.B. Integrating hazard-induced damage and environmental impacts in building life-cycle assessments. In Proceedings of the 2014 International Symposium of Life-Cycle Civil Engineering, Tokyo, Japan, 16–19 November 2014.
- Belleri, A.; Marini, A. Does seismic risk affect the environmental impact of existing buildings? Energy Build. 2016, 110, 149–158.
- Hossain, K.A.; Gencturk, B. Life-Cycle Environmental Impact Assessment of Reinforced Concrete Buildings Subjected to Natural Hazards. J. Archit. Eng. 2016, 22, A4014001.
- Gencturk, B.; Hossain, K.; Lahourpour, S. Life cycle sustainability assessment of RC buildings in seismic regions. Eng. Struct. 2016, 110, 347–362.
- Chhabra, J.P.S.; Hasik, V.; Bilec, M.M.; Warn, G.P. Probabilistic Assessment of the Life-Cycle Environmental Performance and Functional Life of Buildings due to Seismic Events. J. Archit. Eng. 2018, 24, 04017035.
- Menna, C.; Caruso, M.C.; Asprone, D.; Prota, A. Environmental sustainability assessment of structural retrofit of masonry buildings based on LCA. Eur. J. Environ. Civ. Eng. 2016, 1–10.
- Terracciano, G.; Di Lorenzo, G.; Formisano, A.; Landolfo, R. Cold-formed thin-walled steel structures as vertical addition and energetic retrofitting systems of existing masonry buildings. Eur. J. Environ. Civ. Eng. 2015, 19, 850–866.
- Napolano, L.; Menna, C.; Asprone, D.; Prota, A.; Manfredi, G. LCA-based study on structural retrofit options for masonry buildings. Int. J. Life Cycle Assess. 2015, 20, 23–35.
- Ferreira, J.; Duarte Pinheiro, M.; de Brito, J. Economic and environmental savings of structural buildings refurbishment with demolition and reconstruction—A Portuguese benchmarking. J. Build. Eng. 2015, 3, 114–126.
- Vitiello, U.; Salzano, A.; Asprone, D.; Di Ludovico, M.; Prota, A. Life-cycle assessment of seismic retrofit strategies applied to existing building structures. Sustainability 2016, 8, 1275.
- Formisano, A.; Chiumiento, G.; Di Lorenzo, G.; Landolfo, R. Innovative and traditional seismic retrofitting techniques of an exisiting RC school building: Life cycle assessment and performance ranking through the TOPSIS method. Constr. Met. 2017, 84–93. Available online: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/316845993_Innovative_and_traditional_seismic_retrofitting_techniques_of_an_existing_RC_school_building_life_cycle_assessment_and_performance_ranking_through_the_TO_PSIS_method (accessed on 7 September 2021).
- Uzun, E.T.; Secer, M. Evaluation of Building Retrofitting Alternatives from Sustainability Perspective. Procedia Eng. 2017, 171, 1137–1146.
- Ribakov, Y.; Halperin, I.; Pushkar, S. Seismic Resistance and Sustainable Performance of Retrofitted Buildings by Adding Stiff Diaphragms or Seismic Isolation. J. Archit. Eng. 2018, 24, 04017028.
- Dattilo, C.; Negro, P.; Landolfo, R. An Integrated Approach for Sustainability (IAS): Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) as a Supporting Tool for Life Cycle Costing (LCC) and Social Issues. In Proceedings of the International Conference on on Sustainable Building and Affordable To All, Algarve, Portugal, 17–19 March 2010; pp. 721–728.
- Lützkendorf, T.; Balouktsi, M.; Frischknecht, R. Evaluation of Embodied Energy and CO2eq for Building Construction (Annex 57), Subtask 1: Basics, Actors and Concepts; International Energy Agency: Paris, France, 2016.