- Please check and comment entries here.
Antiviral Drugs against COVID-19
Several FDA-approved available antiviral drugs, alone or in combination, have been screened clinically for their extended use since the early phase of the current pandemic to find a safe and effective treatment option against COVID-19, and many clinical trials of these antiviral drugs are still ongoing. However, an in-depth understanding is required from current clinical literature reports to execute integrated approaches between computational and experimental methods to guarantee high success rates of repositioned drugs. Moreover, multiple challenges associated with repurposed drugs have been identified, including dose adjustments, route of administration, acute/chronic toxicity, appropriate delivery systems, etc..
2. Discussion and Concluding Remarks
This entry is adapted from 10.3390/biologics1020016
- Ashraf, B.N. Economic impact of government interventions during the COVID-19 pandemic: International evidence from financial markets. J. Behav. Exp. Financ. 2020, 27, 100371.
- Hossain, M.J.; Ahmmed, F.; Rahman, S.; Sanam, S.; Emran, T.B.; Mitra, S. Impact of online education on fear of academic delay and psychological distress among university students following one year of COVID-19 outbreak in Bangladesh. Heliyon 2021, 7, e07388.
- Gollakner, R.; Capua, I. Is COVID-19 the first pandemic that evolves into a panzootic? Vet. Ital. 2020, 56, 11–12.
- Yoo, H.S.; Yoo, D. COVID-19 and veterinarians for one health, zoonotic- and reverse-zoonotic transmissions. J. Vet. Sci. 2020, 21, e51.
- Gupta, N.; Singhai, M.; Garg, S.; Shah, D.; Sood, V.; Singh, S.K. The missing pieces in the jigsaw and need for cohesive research amidst coronavirus infectious disease 2019 global response. Med. J. Armed Forces India 2020, 76, 132–135.
- Decaro, N.; Lorusso, A. Novel human coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2): A lesson from animal coronaviruses. Vet. Microbiol. 2020, 244, 108693.
- World Health Organization. Weekly Operational Update on COVID-19—20 July 2021; World Health Organization: Geneva, Switzerland, 2021; pp. 1–13.
- Hossain, M.J.; Kuddus, M.R.; Rahman, S.M.A. Knowledge, attitudes, and behavioral responses toward COVID-19 during early phase in bangladesh: A questionnaire-based study. Asia Pac. J. Public Health 2021, 33, 141–144.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Interim Clinical Guidance for Management of Patients with Confirmed Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19). Available online: https://stacks.cdc.gov/view/cdc/88624 (accessed on 30 August 2021).
- Hossain, M.J. Is Bangladesh moving toward herd immunity? Current COVID-19 perspective. Bangladesh J. Infect. Dis. 2020, 7 (Suppl. S2), S63–S66.
- Pushpakom, S.; Iorio, F.; Eyers, P.A.; Escott, K.J.; Hopper, S.; Wells, A.; Doig, A.; Guilliams, T.; Latimer, J.; McNamee, C.; et al. Drug repurposing: Progress, challenges and recommendations. Nat. Rev. Drug Discov. 2019, 18, 41–58.
- Hossain, M.J.; Kuddus, M.R.; Rashid, M.A.; Sultan, M.Z. Understanding and dealing the SARS-CoV-2 infection: An updated concise review. Bangladesh Pharm. J. 2021, 24, 61–75.
- Godwin, M.; Ruhland, L.; Casson, I.; MacDonald, S.; Delva, D.; Birtwhistle, R.; Lam, M.; Seguin, R. Pragmatic controlled clinical trials in primary care: The struggle between external and internal validity. BMC Med. Res. Methodol. 2003, 3, 28.
- Viveiros Rosa, S.G.; Santos, W.C. Clinical trials on drug repositioning for COVID-19 treatment. Rev. Panam. Salud Publica Pan Am. J. Public Health 2020, 44, e40.
- Wrapp, D.; Wang, N.; Corbett, K.S.; Goldsmith, J.A.; Hsieh, C.L.; Abiona, O.; Graham, B.S.; McLellan, J.S. Cryo-EM structure of the 2019-nCoV spike in the prefusion conformation. Science 2020, 367, 1260–1263.
- Lu, R.; Zhao, X.; Li, J.; Niu, P.; Yang, B.; Wu, H.; Wang, W.; Song, H.; Huang, B.; Zhu, N.; et al. Genomic characterisation and epidemiology of 2019 novel coronavirus: Implications for virus origins and receptor binding. Lancet 2020, 395, 565–574.
- Oprea, T.I.; Bauman, J.E.; Bologa, C.G.; Buranda, T.; Chigaev, A.; Edwards, B.S.; Jarvik, J.W.; Gresham, H.D.; Haynes, M.K.; Hjelle, B.; et al. Drug repurposing from an academic perspective. Drug Discov. Today Ther. Strateg. 2011, 8, 61–69.
- Senanayake, S.L. Drug repurposing strategies for COVID-19. Future Drug Discov. 2020, 2, FDD40.
- Young, B.E.; Ong, S.W.X.; Kalimuddin, S.; Low, J.G.; Tan, S.Y.; Loh, J.; Ng, O.-T.; Marimuthu, K.; Ang, L.W.; Mak, T.M.; et al. Epidemiologic Features and Clinical Course of Patients Infected With SARS-CoV-2 in Singapore. JAMA 2020, 323, 1488–1494.
- Yang, X.; Yu, Y.; Xu, J.; Shu, H.; Xia, J.; Liu, H.; Wu, Y.; Zhang, L.; Yu, Z.; Fang, M.; et al. Clinical course and outcomes of critically ill patients with SARS-CoV-2 pneumonia in Wuhan, China: A single-centered, retrospective, observational study. Lancet Respir. Med. 2020, 8, 475–481.
- Parvathaneni, V.; Gupta, V. Utilizing drug repurposing against COVID-19—Efficacy, limitations, and challenges. Life Sci. 2020, 259, 118275.
- Marra, F.; Smolders, E.J.; El-Sherif, O.; Boyle, A.; Davidson, K.; Sommerville, A.J.; Marzolini, C.; Siccardi, M.; Burger, D.; Gibbons, S.; et al. Recommendations for Dosing of Repurposed COVID-19 Medications in Patients with Renal and Hepatic Impairment. Drugs R&D 2021, 21, 9–27.
- Hu, B.; Guo, H.; Zhou, P.; Shi, Z.L. Characteristics of SARS-CoV-2 and COVID-19. Nat. Rev. Microbiol. 2021, 19, 141–154.
- OECD. Policy Responses to Coronavirus (COVID-19). Coronavirus (COVID-19) Vaccines for Developing Countries: An Equal Shot at Recovery. Available online: https://www.oecd.org/coronavirus/policy-responses/coronavirus-covid-19-vaccines-for-developing-countries-an-equal-shot-at-recovery-6b0771e6/ (accessed on 27 July 2021).
- Bari, M.S.; Hossain, M.J.; Akhter, S.; Emran, T.B. Delta variant and black fungal invasion: A bidirectional assault might worsen the massive second/third stream of COVID-19 outbreak in South-Asia. Ethics Med. Public Health 2021, 19, 100722.
- Williamson, B.N.; Feldmann, F.; Schwarz, B.; Meade-White, K.; Porter, D.P.; Schulz, J.; Van Doremalen, N.; Leighton, I.; Yinda, C.K.; Pérez-Pérez, L.; et al. Clinical benefit of remdesivir in rhesus macaques infected with SARS-CoV-2. Nature 2020, 585, 273–276.
- Wang, Y.; Zhang, D.; Du, G.; Du, R.; Zhao, J.; Jin, Y.; Fu, S.; Gao, L.; Cheng, Z.; Lu, Q.; et al. Remdesivir in adults with severe COVID-19: A randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, multicentre trial. Lancet 2020, 395, 1569–1578.
- Chen, C.; Zhang, Y.; Huang, J.; Yin, P.; Cheng, Z.; Wu, J.; Chen, S.; Zhang, Y.; Chen, B.; Lu, M.; et al. Favipiravir versus Arbidol for COVID-19: A Randomized Clinical Trial. medRxiv 2020.
- Nagata, T.; Lefor, A.K.; Hasegawa, M.; Ishii, M. Favipiravir: A new medication for the Ebola virus disease pandemic. Dis. Med. Public Health Prep. 2015, 9, 79–81.
- Sharun, K.; Tiwari, R.; Dhama, K.; Emran, T.B.; Rabban, A.A.; Al Mutair, A. Emerging SARS-CoV-2 variants: Impact on vaccine efficacy and neutralizing antibodies. Hum. Vaccines Immunother. 2021, 17, 1–4.
- Hossain, M.J. Impact of COVID-19 pandemic among health care providers in Bangladesh: A systematic review. Bangladesh J. Infect. Dis. 2020, 7 (Suppl. S2), S8–S15.
- Hossain, M.J.; Islam, M.S.; Shahriar, S.; Sanam, S.; Emran, T.B.; Khatun, C.S.; Islam, M.R.; Mitra, S.; Dhama, K. Comedication of rabeprazole sodium causes potential drug-drug interaction with diabetic drug linagliptin: In-vitro and in-silico approaches. J. Exp. Biol. Agric. Sci. 2021, 9, 528–542.
- Lai, C.C.; Wang, C.Y.; Hsueh, P.R. Coinfections among patients with COVID-19: The need for combination therapy with non-anti-SARS-CoV-2 agents? J. Microbiol. Immunol. Infect. 2020, 53, 505–512.
- Zuo, Y.; Liu, Y.; Zhong, Q.; Zhang, K.; Xu, Y.; Wang, Z. Lopinavir/ritonavir and interferon combination therapy may help shorten the duration of viral shedding in patients with COVID-19: A retrospective study in two designated hospitals in Anhui, China. J. Med. Virol. 2020, 92, 2666–2674.