- Please check and comment entries here.
Industry 4.0 and Smart Data
The digital transformation of manufacturing firms, in addition to making operations more efficient, offers important opportunities both to promote the transition to a circular economy and to experiment with new techniques for designing smarter and greener products.
2. Industry 4.0 and Smart Data as Enablers of the Circular Economy in Manufacturing: Product Re-Engineering with Circular Eco-Design in Ceramic Industry
2.1. Implications for Scholars
2.2. Implications for Industry Practitioners
Digital technologies have enabled the smart exploitation of Big Data;
Smart Data has enabled circular eco-design that has led to product innovation;
Product innovation has favored the re-engineering of the raw material sourcing system;
The company moved a further step toward transitioning to the circular economy.
This entry is adapted from 10.3390/su131810366
- Khanzode, A.G.; Sarma, P.R.S.; Mangla, S.K.; Yuan, H. Modeling the Industry 4.0 adoption for sustainable production in Micro, Small & Medium Enterprises. J. Clean. Prod. 2021, 279, 123489.
- Thomson, L.; Kamalaldin, A.; Sjödin, D.; Parida, V. A maturity framework for autonomous solutions in manufacturing firms: The interplay of technology, ecosystem, and business model. Int. Entrep. Manag. J. 2021, 1–28.
- Zambetti, M.; Adrodegari, F.; Pezzotta, G.; Pinto, R.; Rapaccini, M.; Barbieri, C. From data to value: Conceptualising data-driven product service system. Prod. Plan. Control 2021, 1–17.
- Horick, C. Industry 4.0 production networks: Cyber-physical system-based smart factories, real-time big data analytics, and sustainable product lifecycle management. J. Self-Gov. Manag. Econ. 2020, 8, 107–113.
- Ghouri, A.M.; Mani, V.; Jiao, Z.; Venkatesh, V.G.; Shi, Y.; Kamble, S.S. An empirical study of real-time information-receiving using industry 4.0 technologies in downstream operations. Technol. Forecast. Soc. Chang. 2021, 165, 120551.
- Romero, C.A.T.; Castro, D.F.; Ortiz, J.H.; Khalaf, O.I.; Vargas, M.A. Synergy between circular economy and industry 4.0: A literature review. Sustainability 2021, 13, 4331.
- Sharma, N.K.; Govindan, K.; Lai, K.K.; Chen, W.K.; Kumar, V. The transition from linear economy to circular economy for sustainability among SMEs: A study on prospects, impediments, and prerequisites. Bus. Strateg. Environ. 2021, 30, 1803–1822.
- D’Adamo, I.; Ferella, F.; Gastaldi, M.; Maggiore, F.; Rosa, P.; Terzi, S. Towards sustainable recycling processes: Wasted printed circuit boards as a source of economic opportunities. Resour. Conserv. Recycl. 2019, 149, 455–467.
- Santana, A.; Afonso, P.; Zanin, A.; Wernke, R. Costing models for capacity optimization in Industry 4.0: Trade-off between used capacity and operational efficiency. Procedia Manuf. 2017, 13, 1183–1190.
- D’Adamo, I.; Rosa, P. How do you see infrastructure? Green energy to provide economic growth after COVID-19. Sustainability 2020, 12, 4738.
- Ferrari, A.M.; Volpi, L.; Pini, M.; Siligardi, C.; García-Muiña, F.E.; Settembre-Blundo, D. Building a sustainability benchmarking framework of ceramic tiles based on life cycle sustainability assessment (LCSA). Resources 2019, 8, 11.
- Marzouk, M.; Azab, S. Environmental and economic impact assessment of construction and demolition waste disposal using system dynamics. Resour. Conserv. Recycl. 2014, 82, 41–49.
- Khorassani, S.M.; Ferrari, A.M.; Pini, M.; Blundo, D.S.; Muiña, F.E.G.; García, J.F. Environmental and social impact assessment of cultural heritage restoration and its application to the Uncastillo Fortress. Int. J. Life Cycle Assess. 2019, 24, 1297–1318.
- Vacchi, M.; Siligardi, C.; Demaria, F.; Cedillo-González, E.I.; González-Sánchez, R.; Settembre-Blundo, D. Technological Sustainability or Sustainable Technology? A Multidimensional Vision of Sustainability in Manufacturing. Sustainability 2021, 13, 9942.
- Mahbub, N.; Oyedun, A.O.; Zhang, H.; Kumar, A.; Poganietz, W.R. A life cycle sustainability assessment (LCSA) of oxymethylene ether as a diesel additive produced from forest biomass. Int. J. Life Cycle Assess. 2019, 24, 881–899.
- Azarmipour, M.; Elfaham, H.; Gries, C.; Kleinert, T.; Epple, U. A Service-based Architecture for the Interaction of Control and MES Systems in Industry 4.0 Environment. In Proceedings of the 2020 IEEE 18th International Conference on Industrial Informatics (INDIN), Warwick, UK, 20–23 July 2020; pp. 217–222.
- Bressanelli, G.; Perona, M.; Saccani, N. Challenges in supply chain redesign for the Circular Economy: A literature review and a multiple case study. Int. J. Prod. Res. 2019, 57, 7395–7422.
- Resman, M.; Turk, M.; Herakovic, N. Methodology for planning smart factory. Procedia CIRP 2020, 97, 401–406.
- Agrawal, R.; Wankhede, V.A.; Kumar, A.; Upadhyay, A.; Garza-Reyes, J.A. Nexus of circular economy and sustainable business performance in the era of digitalization. Int. J. Product. Perform. Manag. 2021. ahead-of-print.
- Spaltini, M.; Poletti, A.; Acerbi, F.; Taisch, M. A quantitative framework for Industry 4.0 enabled Circular Economy. Procedia CIRP 2021, 98, 115–120.
- Pieroni, M.P.P.; McAloone, T.C.; Pigosso, D.C.A. Developing a process model for circular economy business model innovation within manufacturing companies. J. Clean. Prod. 2021, 299, 126785.
- D’Adamo, I.; Gastaldi, M.; Rosa, P. Recycling of end-of-life vehicles: Assessing trends and performances in Europe. Technol. Forecast. Soc. Chang. 2020, 152, 119887.
- Bressanelli, G.; Saccani, N.; Perona, M.; Baccanelli, I. Towards circular economy in the household appliance industry: An overview of cases. Resources 2020, 9, 128.
- Han, J.; Heshmati, A.; Rashidghalam, M. Circular economy business models with a focus on servitization. Sustainability 2020, 12, 8799.
- Hapuwatte, B.M.; Jawahir, I.S. Closed-loop sustainable product design for circular economy. J. Ind. Ecol. 2021.
- Waibel, M.W.; Steenkamp, L.P.; Moloko, N.; Oosthuizen, G.A. Investigating the Effects of Smart Production Systems on Sustainability Elements. Procedia Manuf. 2017, 8, 731–737.
- García-Quevedo, J.; Jové-Llopis, E.; Martínez-Ros, E. Barriers to the circular economy in European small and medium-sized firms. Bus. Strateg. Environ. 2020, 29, 2450–2464.
- Jørgensen, M.S.; Remmen, A. A Methodological Approach to Development of Circular Economy Options in Businesses. Procedia CIRP 2018, 69, 816–821.
- Pazoki, M.; Samarghandi, H. Take-back regulation: Remanufacturing or Eco-design? Int. J. Prod. Econ. 2020, 227, 107674.
- Rajput, S.; Singh, S.P. Industry 4.0—Challenges to implement circular economy. Benchmarking 2019, 28, 1717–1739.
- Maccioni, L.; Borgianni, Y.; Pigosso, D.C.A. Can the choice of eco-design principles affect products’ success? Des. Sci. 2019, 5, e25.
- Barbosa, A.J.D.; de Paiva Santos, V.H.; de Araújo, P.C.; de Medeiros, F.L.; da Silva Otaviano, L.Y. Eco product development combining eco design and life cycle assessment. Benchmarking 2021, 28, 502–516.
- da Luz, L.M.; de Francisco, A.C.; Piekarski, C.M.; Salvador, R. Integrating life cycle assessment in the product development process: A methodological approach. J. Clean. Prod. 2018, 193, 28–42.
- Dev, N.K.; Shankar, R.; Swami, S. Diffusion of green products in industry 4.0: Reverse logistics issues during design of inventory and production planning system. Int. J. Prod. Econ. 2020, 223, 107519.
- Patrucco, A.; Ciccullo, F.; Pero, M. Industry 4.0 and supply chain process re-engineering: A coproduction study of materials management in construction. Bus. Process Manag. J. 2020, 26, 1093–1119.
- Tripathi, S.; Gupta, M. A framework for procurement process re-engineering in Industry 4.0. Bus. Process Manag. J. 2021, 27, 439–458.
- Brad, E.; Brad, S. Algorithm for designing reconfigurable equipment to enable industry 4.0 and circular economy-driven manufacturing systems. Appl. Sci. 2021, 11, 4446.
- Zheng, T.; Ardolino, M.; Bacchetti, A.; Perona, M. The applications of Industry 4.0 technologies in manufacturing context: A systematic literature review. Int. J. Prod. Res. 2021, 59, 1922–1954.
- Lacam, J.-S.; Salvetat, D. Big data and Smart data: Two interdependent and synergistic digital policies within a virtuous data exploitation loop. J. High Technol. Manag. Res. 2021, 32, 100406.
- Kumar, P.; Singh, R.K.; Kumar, V. Managing supply chains for sustainable operations in the era of industry 4.0 and circular economy: Analysis of barriers. Resour. Conserv. Recycl. 2021, 164, 105215.
- Beltrami, M.; Orzes, G.; Sarkis, J.; Sartor, M. Industry 4.0 and sustainability: Towards conceptualization and theory. J. Clean. Prod. 2021, 312, 127733.