- Please check and comment entries here.
Regulatory Approach to Ocean Plastics
The research investigates the problems and maps the solutions to the serious threat that plastics pose to the oceans, food safety, and human health, with more than eight million tons of plastic debris dumped in the sea every year. The aim of this study is to explore how to better improve the regulatory process of ocean plastics by integrating scientific results, regulatory strategies and action plans so as to limit the impact of plastics at sea. Adopting a problem-solving approach and identifying four areas of intervention enable the establishment of a regulatory framework from a multi-actor, multi-issue, and multi-level perspective. The research methodology consists of a two-pronged approach: 1. An analysis of the state-of-the-art definition of plastics, micro-, and nanoplastics (respectively, MPs and NPs), and 2. The identification and discussion of loopholes in the current regulation, suggesting key actions to be taken at a global, regional and national level. In particular, the study proposes a systemic integration of scientific and regulatory advancements towards the construction of an interconnected multi-tiered (MT) plastic governance framework. The milestones reached by the project SECURE at UiT - The Arctic University of Norway provide evidence of the strength of the theory of integration and rights-based approaches. The suggested model holds substantial significance for the fields of environmental protection, food security, food safety, and human health. This proposed MT plastic governance framework allows for the holistic and effective organization of complex information and scenarios concerning plastics regulation. Containing a clear definition of plastics, grounded on the precautionary principle, the MT plastic framework should provide detailed mitigation measures, with a clear indication of rights and duties, and in coordination with an effective reparatory justice system.
2. Towards the Adoption of a Cross-Disciplinary Systems Thinking Approach
3. From Legislation to Implementation: A Comparative Overview of the First Implementing Efforts of Directive EU 2019/904
This entry is adapted from 10.3390/foods10092197
- Haram, L.E.; Carlton, J.T.; Ruiz, G.M.; Maximenko, N.A. A Plasticene Lexicon. Mar. Pollut. Bull. 2020, 150, 110714.
- Nurra, N.; Battuello, M.; Mussat Sartor, R.; Favaro, L. Plasticene: Tra Plancton Blu e Micromeduse le Tracce di Una Nuova Epoca, Frida Forum Della Ricerca di Ateneo, Unito. 2020. Available online: https://frida.unito.it/wn_pages/contenuti.php/748_ecosistemi-biodiversit-e-comportamento-animale/540_plasticene-tra-plancton-blu-e-micro-meduse-le-tracce-di-una-nuova-epoca/ (accessed on 15 May 2021).
- Bucci, K.; Tulio, M.; Rochman, C.M. What is known and unknown about the effects of plastic pollution: A meta-analysis and systematic review. Ecol. Appl. 2020, 30, e02044.
- Thomas, P.J.; Perono, G.; Tommasi, F.; Pagano, G.; Oral, R.; Burić, P.; Lyons, D.M. Resolving the effects of environmental micro-and nanoplastics exposure in biota: A knowledge gap analysis. Sci. Total Environ. 2021, 1.
- IUCN brief. Available online: https://www.iucn.org/resources/issues-briefs/marine-plastics (accessed on 29 August 2021).
- Sorensen, R.M.; Jovanović, B. From nanoplastic to microplastic: A bibliometric analysis on the presence of plastic particles in the environment. Mar. Pollut. Bull. 2021, 163, 111926.
- Haward, M. Plastic pollution of the world’s seas and oceans as a contemporary challenge in ocean governance. Nat. Commun. 2018, 9, 1–3.
- Ostle, C.; Thompson, R.C.; Broughton, D.; Gregory, L.; Wootton, M.; Johns, D.G. The rise in ocean plastics evidenced from a 60-year time series. Nat. Commun. 2019, 10, 1622.
- Mitrano, D.M.; Wohlleben, W. Microplastic regulation should be more precise to incentivize both innovation and environmental safety. Nat. Commun. 2020, 11, 5324.
- Hartmann, N.B.; Hüffer, T.; Thompson, R.C.; Hassellöv, M.; Verschoor, A.; Daugaard, A.E.; Rist, S.; Karlsson, T.; Brennholt, N.; Cole, M.; et al. Are We Speaking the Same Language? Recommendations for a Definition and Categorization Framework for Plastic Debris. Environ. Sci. Technol. 2019, 53, 1039–1047.
- Da Costa, J.P.; Mouneyrac, C.; Costa, M.; Duarte, A.C.; Rocha-Santos, T. The Role of Legislation, Regulatory Initiatives and Guidelines on the Control of Plastic Pollution. Front. Environ. Sci. 2020, 8.
- UNGA. Available online: https://www.un.org/en/development/desa/population/migration/generalassembly/docs/globalcompact/A_CONF.151_26_Vol.I_Declaration.pdf (accessed on 14 June 2021).
- Consolidated Versions of the Treaty on European Union and the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union (TFEU). Off. J. 2016; C202/1.
- Toussaint, B.; Raffael, B.; Angers-Loustau, A.; Gilliland, D.; Kestens, V.; Petrillo, M.; Rio-Echevarria, I.M.; van den Eede, G. Review of micro- and nanoplastic contamination in the food chain. Food Addit. Contam. 2019, 36, 639–673.
- Eden, J.; Levit, L.; Berg, A.; Morton, S. Standards for Initiating a Systematic Review. Finding What Works in Health Care: Standards for Systematic Reviews; The National Academies Press: Washington, DC, USA, 2011.
- Pierson-Brown, T. (Systems) Thinking Like A Lawyer. Clin. L. Rev. 2019, 26, 515.
- Flood, R.L. The relationship of ‘systems thinking’ to action research. Syst. Pract. Action Res. 2010, 23, 269–284.
- Directive (EU) 2019/904 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 5 June 2019 on the Reduction of the Impact of Certain Plastic Products on the Environment (Text with EEA Relevance). Off. J. Eur. Union 2019, 1–19.
- Loi n° 2020-105 du 10 Février 2020 Relative à la Lutte Contre le Gaspillage et à L’économie circulaire, NOR: TREP1902395L, Available at JORF n°0035 du 11 Février. 2020. Available online: https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/loda/id/JORFTEXT000041553759/ (accessed on 12 September 2021).
- Verordnung über das Verbot des Inverkehrbringens von Bestimmten Einwegkunststoffprodukten und von Produkten aus Oxo-abbaubarem Kunststoff* (Einwegkunststoffverbotsverordnung-EWKVerbotsV) EWKVerbotsV Ausfertigungsdatum: 20.01.2021. Available online: https://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/ewkverbotsv/EWKVerbotsV.pdf (accessed on 12 September 2021).