- Please check and comment entries here.
Sustainability Reporting in Extractive Industries
Sustainability reporting is one of the tools that contribute to incorporating sustainable development in the design of extractive operations (i.e., “Design for Sustainability”), and the demand for sustainability reports is increasing due to the increased focus on sustainable development and sustainable financing efforts. The extractive industries are believed to have unique strengths to contribute to achieving the Sustainable Development Goals. Nonetheless, companies are expected to be transparent and accountable not only to investors but to all stakeholders, including communities, suppliers, clients, employees, and governments. Therefore, extractive industries require effective sustainability accounting and reporting to transition and contribute to sustainable development.
1. Sustainability Reporting in the Extractive Industries
2. Oil and Gas and Sustainability Reporting
3. Mining and Sustainability Reporting
4. Comparing Industries
The entry is from 10.3390/su13168716
- Jenkins, H.; Yakovleva, N. Corporate social responsibility in the mining industry: Exploring trends in social and environmental disclosure. J. Clean. Prod. 2006, 14, 271–284.
- Böhling, K.; Murguía, D.I. Sustainability reporting in the mining sector: Why institutional dynamics of reporting disappoi nt beliefs in its potentials for increased corporate accountability. In Proceedings of the Regulatory Governance between Global and Local ECPR Standing Group on Regulatory Governance, Barcelona, Spain, 25–27 June 2014.
- Guenther, E.; Hoppe, H.; Poser, C. Environmental Corporate Social Responsibility of Firms in the Mining and Oil and Gas Industries: Current Status QUO of Reporting Following GRI Guidelines. Greener Manag. Int. 2006, 53, 7–25.
- Raufflet, E.; Cruz, L.B.; Bres, L. An assessment of corporate social responsibility practices in the mining and oil and gas industries. J. Clean. Prod. 2014, 84, 256–270.
- Aggarwal, P.; Singh, A.K. CSR and sustainability reporting practices in india: An in-depth content analysis of top-listed companies. Soc. Responsib. J. 2019, 15, 1033–1053.
- Roca, L.C.; Searcy, C. An analysis of indicators disclosed in corporate sustainability reports. J. Clean. Prod. 2012, 20, 103–118.
- Bhatia, A.; Tuli, S. Sustainability reporting practices in US and UK: An empirical comparison. Int. J. Law Manag. 2018, 60, 1034–1056.
- Alazzani, A.; Wan-Hussin, W.N. Global reporting initiative’s environmental reporting: A study of oil and gas companies. Ecol. Indic. 2013, 32, 19–24.
- Yongvanich, K.; Guthrie, J. Extended performance reporting: An examination of the australian mining industry. Account. Forum 2005, 29, 103–119.
- Lee, K.H. Does size matter? Evaluating corporate environmental disclosure in the australian mining and metal industry: A combined approach of quantity and quality measurement. Bus. Strateg. Environ. 2017, 26.
- Dilling, P.F.A. Reporting on long-term value creation-the example of public canadian energy and mining companies. Sustainability 2016, 8, 938.
- Hourneaux Junior, F.; Galleli, B.; Gallardo-Vázquez, D.; Sánchez-Hernández, M.I. strategic aspects in sustainability reporting in oil & gas industry: The comparative case-study of brazilian petrobras and spanish repsol. Ecol. Indic. 2017, 72, 203–214.
- Khan, M.; Chinnasamy, J.; Dakhan, S.; Pongiannan, K. An investigation of environmental reporting in the oil and gas sector of pakistan using global reporting initiative’s guidelines. J. High. Educ. Serv. Sci. Manag. 2019, 2, 5.
- Mahmood, M.; Orazalin, N. green governance and sustainability reporting in kazakhstan’s oil, gas, and mining sector: Evidence from a former ussr emerging economy. J. Clean. Prod. 2017, 164, 389–397.
- Perez, F.; Sanchez, L.E. Assessing the evolution of sustainability reporting in the mining sector. Environ. Manag. 2009, 43, 949–961.
- Orazalin, N.; Mahmood, M. Economic, environmental, and social performance indicators of sustainability reporting: Evidence from the russian oil and gas industry. Energy Policy 2018, 121, 70–79.
- Lodhia, S.; Hess, N. Sustainability Accounting and reporting in the mining industry: Current literature and directions for future research. J. Clean. Prod. 2014, 84, 43–50.
- Suska, M. Environmental Corporate Social Responsibility (ECSR) on the Example of Polish Champion Oil, Gas and Mining Companies. Sustainability 2021, 13, 6179.
- Heenetigala, K.; Armstrong, A. The Impact of Sustainability Reporting Determined from the Response of Mining Corporations to Environmental Risk; Springer: Cham, Switzerland, 2019; pp. 211–225.
- McLellan, B.C.; Corder, G.D.; Giurco, D.; Green, S. Incorporating sustainable development in the design of mineral processing operations-review and analysis of current approaches. J. Clean. Prod. 2009, 17, 1414–1425.
- Corder, G.D.; McLellan, B.C.; Bangerter, P.J.; van Beers, D.; Green, S.R. Engineering-in sustainability through the application of susop®. Chem. Eng. Res. Des. 2012, 90, 98–109.
- GRI. Benefits of Reporting. Available online: https://www.globalreporting.org/information/sustainability-reporting/Pages/reporting-benefits.aspx (accessed on 20 May 2019).
- Hahn, R.; Kühnen, M. Determinants of sustainability reporting: A review of results, trends, theory, and opportunities in an expanding field of research. J. Clean. Prod. 2013, 59, 5–21.
- IPIECA.; API.; IOGP. Oil and Gas Industry Guidance on Voluntary Sustainability Reporting. In Proceedings of the SPE International Health, Safety & Environment Conference, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, 2 April 2006.
- Fortanier, F.; Kolk, A.; Pinkse, J. Harmonization in CSR reporting: MNES and global CSR standards. Manag. Int. Rev. 2011, 51, 665–696.
- Pennington, L.K.; More, E. Sustainability Reporting: Rhetoric versus reality? Employ. Relations Rec. 2010, 10, 24–39.
- Siew, R.Y.J. A review of corporate sustainability reporting tools (SRTs). J. Environ. Manag. 2015, 164, 180–195.
- Sustainability Reporting Policy: Global Trends in Disclosure as the ESG Agenda Goes Mainstream. Available online: https://www.usb.ac.za/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/Carrots-Sticks-2020-Report-FIN-21.07.2020.pdf (accessed on 18 July 2021).
- Industry Today. Mandatory Sustainability Reporting. Available online: https://industrytoday.com/mandatory-sustainability-reporting/ (accessed on 18 July 2021).
- Ioannou, I.; Serafeim, G. The Consequences of Mandatory Corporate Sustainability Reporting. Available online: https://www.albertoandreu.com/uploads/2011/05/The-consequences-of-mandatory-corporate-sustainability-reporting1.pdf (accessed on 18 July 2021).
- Ioannou, I.; Serafeim, G. The consequences of mandatory corporate sustainability reporting. SSRN Electron. J. 2017, 1–49.
- Yaylacı, E.D.; Düzgün, H.Ş. Indicator-based sustainability assessment for the mining sector plans: Case of afşin-elbistan coal basin. Int. J. Coal Geol. 2016, 165, 190–200.