- Please check and comment entries here.
Sustainable Agro-Food Consumption
Sustainable agro-food consumption is a model intended to conserve the resources of today for future need. Consumers play a crucial role in transitioning towards sustainable food consumption, as they judge the attributes of products on the market and are the final decision-makers when it comes to changing consumption habits. Consequently, investigations on agro-food consumption from consumers’ perspectives are of great value.
2. Background of Sustainable Agro-Food Consumption
|Social norms||Health and safety|||
|Tradition and region|||
|Consumer awareness||Sensory pleasure|||
|Structural constraints||Availability of products|||
|Acceptability of price|||
|Possibility of locavore|||
|Political enhancement||Promotion of education and information|||
|Reinforcement of certification and inspection systems|||
|Incentive of eco-friendly initiative and social-responsible initiatives|||
3. Cross-Cultural Comparison of Sustainable Agro-Food Consumption from Consumers’ Perspectives: Cases from Taiwan and France
The entry is from 10.3390/su13179733
- Helms, M. Food sustainability, food security and the environment. Br. Food J. 2004, 106, 380–387.
- Kyrylov, Y.; Thompson, S.R.; Hranovska, V.; Krykunova, V. The World Trend of Organic Production and Consumption. Manag. Theory Stud. Rural Bus. Infrastruct. Dev. 2018, 40, 514–530.
- Pomsanam, P.; Napompech, K.; Suwanmaneepong, S. Factors Driving Thai Consumers’ Intention to Purchase Organic Foods. Asian J. Sci. Res. 2014, 7, 434–446.
- Chinnici, G.; D’Amico, M.; Pecorino, B. A multivariate statistical analysis on the consumers of organic products. Br. Food J. 2002, 104, 187–199.
- Asif, M.; Xuhui, W.; Nasiri, A.; Ayyub, S. Determinant factors influencing organic food purchase intention and the moderating role of awareness: A comparative analysis. Food Qual. Prefer. 2018, 63, 144–150.
- Sanders, J.; Schmid, O. Organic Farming Policy in Action. Available online: http://www.ifoam-eu.org/sites/default/files/page/files/ifoameu_policy_04_cap-book201403.pdf (accessed on 14 February 2020).
- Teng, C.C.; Lu, C.H. Organic food consumption in Taiwan: Motives, involvement, and purchase intention under the moderating role of uncertainty. Appetite 2016, 105, 95–105.
- Peano, C.; Merlino, V.M.; Sottile, F.; Borra, D.; Massaglia, S. Sustainability for Food Consumers: Which Perception? Sustainability 2019, 11, 5955.
- Xia, W.; Zeng, Y. Consumer’s Attitudes and Willingness-to-Pay for Green Food in Beijing. SSRN Electron. J. 2006.
- Vázquez, M.S.; Rivera, J.; Conde, P.; Gutiérrez, M.; Díez, J.; Gittelsohn, J.; Franco, M. Social norms influencing the local food environment as perceived by residents and food traders: The heart healthy hoods project. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 2019, 16, 502.
- Tung, S.J.; Shih, C.C.; Wei, S.; Chen, Y.H. Attitudinal inconsistency toward organic food in relation to purchasing intention and behavior: An illustration of Taiwan consumers. Br. Food J. 2012, 114, 997–1015.
- Paul, J.; Rana, J. Consumer behavior and purchase intention for organic food. J. Consum. Mark. 2012, 29, 412–422.
- Wu, W.; Zhou, L.; Chien, H. Impact of Consumer Awareness, Knowledge, and Attitudes on Organic Rice Purchasing Behavior in China. J. Food Prod. Mark. 2019, 25, 549–565.
- Vermeir, I.; Verbeke, W. Sustainable food consumption: Exploring the consumer “attitude - Behavioral intention” gap. J. Agric. Environ. Ethics 2006, 19, 169–194.
- Li, R.; Lee, H.Y.; Lin, Y.T.; Liu, C.W.; Tsai, P.F. Consumers’willingness to pay for organic foods in China: Bibliometric review for an emerging literature. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 2019, 16, 1713.
- Govindan, K. Sustainable consumption and production in the food supply chain: A conceptual framework. Int. J. Prod. Econ. 2018, 195, 419–431.
- Richter, I.; Thøgersen, J.; Klöckner, C. A Social Norms Intervention Going Wrong: Boomerang Effects from Descriptive Norms Information. Sustainability 2018, 10, 2848.
- Lappalainen, R.; Kearney, J.; Gibney, M. A pan EU survey of consumer attitudes to food, nutrition and health: An overview. Food Qual. Prefer. 1998, 9, 467–478.
- Cislaghi, B.; Heise, L. Using social norms theory for health promotion in low-income countries. Health Promot. Int. 2019, 34, 616–623.
- Higgs, S.; Liu, J.; Collins, E.I.M.; Thomas, J.M. Using social norms to encourage healthier eating. Nutr. Bull. 2019, 44, 43–52.
- Magnusson, M.K.; Arvola, A.; Hursti, U.K.K.; Åberg, L.; Sjödén, P.O. Choice of organic foods is related to perceived consequences for human health and to environmentally friendly behaviour. Appetite 2003, 40, 109–117.
- Akkerman, R.; Farahani, P.; Grunow, M. Quality, safety and sustainability in food distribution: A review of quantitative operations management approaches and challenges. OR Spectr. 2010, 32, 863–904.
- Hamzaoui-Essoussi, L.; Sirieix, L.; Zahaf, M. Trust orientations in the organic food distribution channels: A comparative study of the Canadian and French markets. J. Retail. Consum. Serv. 2013, 20, 292–301.
- Validi, S.; Bhattacharya, A.; Byrne, P.J. A case analysis of a sustainable food supply chain distribution system - A multi-objective approach. Int. J. Prod. Econ 2014, 152, 71–87.
- Thøgersen, J. Country differences in sustainable consumption: The case of organic food. J. Macromarketing 2010, 30, 171–185.
- Veisi, H.; Liaghati, H.; Alipour, A. Developing an ethics-based approach to indicators of sustainable agriculture using analytic hierarchy process (AHP). Ecol. Indic. 2016, 60, 644–654.
- Wandel, M.; Bugge, A. Environmental concern in consumer evaluation of food quality. Food Qual. Prefer. 1997, 8, 19–26.
- Yiridoe, E.K.; Bonti-Ankomah, S.; Martin, R.C. Comparison of consumer perceptions and preference toward organic versus conventionally produced foods: A review and update of the literature. Renew. Agric. Food Syst. 2005, 20, 193–205.
- Hocquette, J.F.; Jacquet, A.; Giraud, G.; Legrand, I.; Sans, P.; Mainsant, P.; Verbeke, W. Quality of food products and consumer attitudes in France. EAAP Sci. Ser. 2012, 133, 67–82.
- Vázquez-Rowe, I.; Villanueva-Rey, P.; Moreira, M.T.; Feijoo, G. The role of consumer purchase and post-purchase decision-making in sustainable seafood consumption. A Spanish case study using carbon footprinting. Food Policy 2013, 41, 94–102.
- Yu, S.; Lee, J. The effects of consumers’ perceived values on intention to purchase upcycled products. Sustainability 2019, 11, 1034.
- Salmivaara, L.; Lankoski, L. Promoting Sustainable Consumer Behaviour through the Activation of Injunctive Social Norms: A Field Experiment in 19 Workplace Restaurants. Organ. Environ. 2021, 34, 361–386.
- Nasir, V.A.; Karakaya, F. Consumer segments in organic foods market. J. Consum. Mark. 2014, 31, 263–277.
- Joshi, Y.; Rahman, Z. Factors Affecting Green Purchase Behaviour and Future Research Directions. Int. Strateg. Manag. Rev. 2015, 3, 128–143.
- Kushwah, S.; Dhir, A.; Sagar, M. Understanding consumer resistance to the consumption of organic food. A study of ethical consumption, purchasing, and choice behaviour. Food Qual. Prefer. 2019, 77, 1–14.
- Roitner-Schobesberger, B.; Darnhofer, I.; Somsook, S.; Vogl, C.R. Consumer perceptions of organic foods in Bangkok, Thailand. Food Policy 2008, 33, 112–121.
- Bryła, P. Regional Ethnocentrism on the Food Market as a Pattern of Sustainable Consumption. Sustainability 2019, 11, 6408.
- Carfora, V.; Cavallo, C.; Caso, D.; DelGiudice, T.; DeDevitiis, B.; Viscecchia, R.; Nardone, G.; Cicia, G. Explaining consumer purchase behavior for organic milk: Including trust and green self-identity within the theory of planned behavior. Food Qual. Prefer. 2019, 76, 1–9.
- Teng, C.C.; Wang, Y.M. Decisional factors driving organic food consumption: Generation of consumer purchase intentions. Br. Food J. 2015, 117, 1066–1081.
- Oroian, C.F.; Safirescu, C.O.; Harun, R.; Chiciudean, G.O.; Arion, F.H.; Muresan, I.C.; Bordeanu, B.M. Consumers’ attitudes towards organic products and sustainable development: A case study of Romania. Sustainability 2017, 9, 1559.
- Brons, A.; Oosterveer, P. Making Sense of Sustainability: A Practice Theories Approach to Buying Food. Sustainability 2017, 9, 467.
- Das, M.; Ramalingam, M.; Hyderabad, M.T. How effective are your actions? Impact of perceived consumer effectiveness on green perchasing behavior. Acad. Mark. Stud. J. 2019, 23, 1–8.
- Brown, E.; Dury, S.; Holdsworth, M. Motivations of consumers that use local, organic fruit and vegetable box schemes in Central England and Southern France. Appetite 2009, 53, 183–188.
- Thilmany, D.; Bond, C.A.; Bond, J.K. Going local: Exploring consumer behavior and motivations for direct food purchases. Am. J. Agric. Econ. 2008, 90, 1303–1309.
- Robinson, R.; Smith, C. Psychosocial and demographic variables associated with consumer intention to purchase sustainably produced foods as defined by the midwest food alliance. J. Nutr. Educ. Behav. 2002, 34, 316–325.
- Ilbery, B.; Maye, D. Food supply chains and sustainability: Evidence from specialist food producers in the Scottish/English borders. Land Use Policy 2005, 22, 331–344.
- Shepherd, R.; Magnusson, M.; Sjödén, P.O. Determinants of Consumer Behavior Related to Organic Foods. Ambio 2005, 34, 352–359. Available online: http://www.jstor.org/stable/4315614 (accessed on 18 August 2021).
- Voon, J.P.; Ngui, K.S.; Agrawal, A. Determinants of willingness to purchase organic food: An exploratory study using structural equation modeling. Int. Food Agribus. Manag. Rev. 2011, 14, 103–120.
- Loureiro, M.L.; McCluskey, J.J.; Mittelhammer, R.C. Assessing Consumer Preferences for Organic, Eco-labeled, and Regular Apples. J. Agric. Resour. Econ. 2001, 26, 404–416.
- Wang, E.S.T.; Tsai, B.K. Consumer response to retail performance of organic food retailers. Br. Food J. 2014, 116, 212–227.
- Magnusson, M.K.; Arvola, A.; Koivisto Hursti, U.K.; Åberg, L.; Sjödén, P.O. Attitudes towards organic foods among Swedish consumers. Br. Food J. 2001, 103, 209–227.
- Huang, C.L. Consumer preferences and attitudes towards organically grown produce. Eur. Rev. Agric. Econ. 1996, 23, 331–342.
- Padel, S.; Foster, C. Exploring the gap between attitudes and behaviour: Understanding why consumers buy or do not buy organic food. Br. Food J. 2005, 107, 606–625.
- Amesho, K.T.T. Taiwan’s Agricultural Development Policy. Available online: http://ap.fftc.agnet.org/ap_db.php?id=892 (accessed on 18 January 2020).
- The French Ministry of Agriculture and Food. Available online: https://agriculture.gouv.fr/french-ministry-agriculture-and-food (accessed on 10 March 2020).
- Thøgersen, J. How may consumer policy empower consumers for sustainable lifestyles? J. Consum. Policy 2005, 28, 143–177.
- Calafell, G.; Banqué, N.; Viciana, S. Purchase and Use of New Technologies among Young People: Guidelines for Sustainable Consumption Education. Sustainability 2019, 11, 1541.