- Please check and comment entries here.
Brown/White Rice, Consumer Acceptance
Rice is consumed as a staple food by more than half of the world’s population. Due to a higher fibre and micronutrient content, brown rice is more nutritious than white rice, but the consumption of brown rice is significantly lower than that of white rice, primarily due to sensory attributes. Therefore, the present research aimed to identify the sensory attributes which drive liking of Australian-grown brown and white rice varieties. Participants (n = 139) tasted and scored (9-point hedonic scale) their liking (i.e., overall liking, aroma, colour and texture) of brown and white rice types of Jasmine (Kyeema), Low GI (Doongara) and Medium grain rice (Amaroo). In addition, participants scored, aroma, colour, hardness, fluffiness, stickiness and chewiness, on Just About Right Scales. A within-subjects crossover design with randomised order (William’s Latin Square design) was used with six repeated samples for liking and Just About Right scales. Penalty analyses were applied to determine the relative influence of perception of sensory attributes on consumer liking of the rice varieties. Across all varieties, white rice was liked more than brown rice due to texture and colour, and Jasmine rice was preferred over Low GI and Medium Grain. Rice texture (hardness and chewiness) was the most important sensory attribute among all rice varieties and aroma was important for driving of liking between white rice varieties.
3. Results & Discussion
The entry is from 10.3390/foods10081950
- Sattari, A.; Mahdinezhad, N.; Fakheri, B.; Noroozi, M.; Beheshtizadeh, H. Improvement of the eating and cooking qualities of rice: A review. Int. J. Farming Allied Sci. 2015, 4, 153–160.
- Younas, A.; Yousaf, Z.; Riaz, N.; Rashid, M.; Razzaq, Z.; Tanveer, M.; Huang, S. Role of Nanotechnology for Enhanced Rice Production. In Nutrient Dynamics for Sustainable Crop Production; Meena, R.S., Ed.; Springer: Singapore, 2020; pp. 315–350.
- Lee, J.-S.; Sreenivasulu, N.; Hamilton, R.S.; Kohli, A. Brown Rice, a Diet Rich in Health Promoting Properties. J. Nutr. Sci. Vitaminol. 2019, 65, S26–S28.
- Civáň, P.; Craig, H.; Cox, C.J.; Brown, T.A. Three geographically separate domestications of Asian rice. Nat. Plants 2015, 1, 1–5.
- Huang, X.; Kurata, N.; Wang, Z.-X.; Wang, A.; Zhao, Q.; Zhao, Y.; Liu, K.; Lu, H.; Li, W.; Guo, Y. A map of rice genome variation reveals the origin of cultivated rice. Nature 2012, 490, 497–501.
- Maclean, J.; Dawe, D.; Hardy, B.; Hettel, G. Rice Almanac, 3rd ed.; CABI: Wallingford, UK, 2002.
- Combris, P.; Bazoche, P.; Giraud-Héraud, E.; Issanchou, S. Food choices: What do we learn from combining sensory and economic experiments? Food Qual. Prefer. 2009, 20, 550–557.
- Januszewska, R.; Pieniak, Z.; Verbeke, W. Food choice questionnaire revisited in four countries. Does it still measure the same? Appetite 2011, 57, 94–98.
- Tomlins, K.; Manful, J.; Larwer, P.; Hammond, L. Urban consumer preferences and sensory evaluation of locally produced and imported rice in West Africa. Food Qual. Prefer. 2005, 16, 79–89.
- Li, X.; Jervis, S.; Drake, M. Examining extrinsic factors that influence product acceptance: A review. J. Food Sci. 2015, 80, R901–R909.
- Kwon, Y.S.; Ju, S.Y. Sensory evaluation of commercial ready-to-eat rice between trained panelist and consumer. Br. Food J. 2018, 120, 367–377.
- Suwansri, S.; Meullenet, J.F.; Hankins, J.; Griffin, K. Preference mapping of domestic/imported jasmine rice for US-Asian consumers. J. Food Sci. 2002, 67, 2420–2431.
- Maleki, C.; Oliver, P.; Lewin, S.; Liem, G.; Keast, R. Preference mapping of different water-to-rice ratios in cooked aromatic white jasmine rice. J. Food Sci. 2020, 85, 1576–1585.
- Shobana, S.; Malleshi, N.; Sudha, V.; Spiegelman, D.; Hong, B.; Hu, F.; Willett, W.; Krishnaswamy, K.; Mohan, V. Nutritional and sensory profile of two Indian rice varieties with different degrees of polishing. Int. J. Food Sci. Nutr. 2011, 62, 800–810.
- Park, J.S.; Kim, K.-Y.; Baek, H.H. Potent aroma-active compounds of cooked Korean non-aromatic rice. Food Sci. Biotechnol. 2010, 19, 1403–1407.
- Pingret, D.; Fabiano-Tixier, A.-S.; Chemat, F. Degradation during application of ultrasound in food processing: A review. Food Control 2013, 31, 593–606.
- Sudha, V.; Spiegelman, D.; Hong, B.; Malik, V.; Jones, C.; Wedick, N.M.; Hu, F.B.; Willett, W.; Bai, M.R.; Ponnalagu, M.M. Consumer Acceptance and Preference Study (CAPS) on brown and undermilled Indian rice varieties in Chennai, India. J. Am. Coll. Nutr. 2013, 32, 50–57.
- Pollard, C.M.; Pulker, C.E.; Meng, X.; Scott, J.A.; Denham, F.C.; Solah, V.A.; Kerr, D.A. Consumer attitudes and misperceptions associated with trends in self-reported cereal foods consumption: Cross-sectional study of Western Australian adults, 1995 to 2012. BMC Public Health 2017, 17, 597.
- Selvam, S.; Masilamani, P.; Umashankar, P.; Albert, V.A. Opportunities and challenges in marketing of brown rice. In Brown Rice; Springer: Basingstoke, UK, 2017; pp. 271–282.
- Saleh, A.S.M.; Wang, P.; Wang, N.; Yang, L.; Xiao, Z. Brown Rice Versus White Rice: Nutritional Quality, Potential Health Benefits, Development of Food Products, and Preservation Technologies. Compr. Rev. Food Sci. Food Saf. 2019, 18, 1070–1096.
- Wangcharoen, W.; Phanchaisri, C.; Daengpok, W.; Phuttawong, R.; Hangsoongnern, T.; Phanchaisri, B. Consumer acceptance test and some related properties of selected KDML 105 rice mutants. J. Food Sci. Technol. 2016, 53, 3550–3556.
- Bunyasiri, I.N.; Sirisupluxana, P. Consumers behavior and rice attributes for Thai hommali rice in Sichuan province of China. Bus. Manag. Rev. 2017, 8, 329.
- Daygon, V.D.; Calingacion, M.; Forster, L.C.; Voss, J.J.D.; Schwartz, B.D.; Ovenden, B.; Alonso, D.E.; McCouch, S.R.; Garson, M.J.; Fitzgerald, M.A. Metabolomics and genomics combine to unravel the pathway for the presence of fragrance in rice. Sci. Rep. 2017, 7, 8767.
- Buttery, R.G.; Ling, L.C.; Juliano, B.O.; Turnbaugh, J.G. Cooked rice aroma and 2-acetyl-1-pyrroline. J. Agric. Food Chem. 1983, 31, 823–826.
- Bergman, C.J.; Delgado, J.T.; Bryant, R.; Grimm, C.; Cadwallader, K.R.; Webb, B.D. Rapid Gas Chromatographic Technique for Quantifying 2-Acetyl-1-Pyrroline and Hexanal in Rice (Oryza sativa, L.). Cereal. Chem. J. 2000, 77, 454–458.
- Jezussek, M.; Juliano, B.O.; Schieberle, P. Comparison of key aroma compounds in cooked brown rice varieties based on aroma extract dilution analyses. J. Agric. Food Chem. 2002, 50, 1101–1105.
- Tananuwong, K.; Lertsiri, S. Changes in volatile aroma compounds of organic fragrant rice during storage under different conditions. J. Sci. Food Agric. 2010, 90, 1590–1596.
- Yang, D.S.; Shewfelt, R.L.; Lee, K.S.; Kays, S.J. Comparison of odor-active compounds from six distinctly different rice flavor types. J. Agric. Food Chem. 2008, 56, 2780–2787.
- Zeng, Z.; Zhang, H.; Zhang, T. Analysis of flavor volatiles of glutinous rice during cooking by combined gas chromatography–mass spectrometry with modified headspace solid-phase microextraction method. J. Food Compos. Anal. 2009, 22, 347–353.
- Mahattanatawee, K.; Rouseff, R.L. Comparison of aroma active and sulfur volatiles in three fragrant rice cultivars using GC-Olfactometry and GC-PFPD. Food Chem. 2014, 154, 1–6.
- Wang, K.M.; Wu, J.G.; Li, G.; Zhang, D.P.; Yang, Z.W.; Shi, C.H. Distribution of phytic acid and mineral elements in three indica rice (Oryza sativa L.) cultivars. J. Cereal Sci. 2011, 54, 116–121.
- Liu, K.-L.; Zheng, J.-B.; Chen, F.-S. Relationships between degree of milling and loss of Vitamin B, minerals, and change in amino acid composition of brown rice. LWT Food Sci. Technol. 2017, 82, 429–436.
- Professsionals, S.f.S. Pentalty Analysis. Available online: https://www.sensorysociety.org/knowledge/sspwiki/Pages/Penalty%20Analysis.aspx (accessed on 15 August 2021).
- Ortega-Heras, M.; Gómez, I.; de Pablos-Alcalde, S.; González-Sanjosé, M.L. Application of the Just-About-Right Scales in the Development of New Healthy Whole-Wheat Muffins by the Addition of a Product Obtained from White and Red Grape Pomace. Foods 2019, 8, 419.
- Suwansri, S.; Meullenet, J. Physicochemical characterization and consumer acceptance by Asian consumers of aromatic jasmine rice. J. Food Sci. 2004, 69, SNQ30–SNQ37.
- Suwannaporn, P.; Linnemann, A.; Chaveesuk, R. Consumer preference mapping for rice product concepts. Br. Food J. 2008, 110, 595–606.