- Please check and comment entries here.
The targets that smart agriculture tries to reach and respond to encompass not only the climate effects, but also other environmental factors as well as social and economic aspects linked with the life of farmers and rural communities all over the world. Hence, the concept of smart agriculture shall be expanded to include all these dimensions.
The innovative technologies developed in the different fields of science (nanotechnology, artificial intelligence, genetic modification, etc.) opened new and infinite possibilities for the several stakeholders that carry out their activities in the different economic sectors. For agriculture, these new approaches are particularly relevant and may bring interesting contributions, considering the specificities of the sector, often dealing with contexts of land abandonment and narrow profit margins. Nonetheless, the question in these unstopped evolutions is about the interlinkages with sustainability. In this context, the objectives of this study are to highlight the main insights from the available scientific literature about the interrelationships between the new trends in the agriculture and the sustainability. To achieve these aims, a search on the Web of Science Core Collection (WoS) and Scopus databases was carried out, on 15 May 2021, for the topics ‘smart agriculture’ and ‘sustainability’. A total of 231 documents (102 from WoS and 129 from Scopus) were obtained, remaining 155 documents after removing the duplicated, which were surveyed through systematic review following the PRISMA (Preferred Reporting Items for Systematic Reviews and Meta-Analyses) approach. As main insights, the concerns of the researchers with the impacts on the sustainability from the transformations in the farming organization are highlighted. On the other hand, it was shown the relevance and the new opportunities, including in terms of food supply, arising from the precision agriculture, agricultural intelligence, vertical/urban farming, circular economy, internet of things, and crowdfarming. We suggest the new and wider concept of ‘integrated-smart agriculture’, better than ‘climate-smart agriculture’.
2. Agricultural Digitalization
The entry is from 10.3390/agronomy11081568
- Xie, L.; Luo, B.; Zhong, W. How Are Smallholder Farmers Involved in Digital Agriculture in Developing Countries: A Case Study from China. Land 2021, 10, 245.
- Anand, P.; Singh, Y.; Selwal, A.; Alazab, M.; Tanwar, S.; Kumar, N. IoT Vulnerability Assessment for Sustainable Computing: Threats, Current Solutions, and Open Challenges. IEEE Access 2020, 8, 168825–168853.
- Clercq, M.D.; Vats, A.; Biel, A. Agriculture 4.0: The Future of Farming Technology; World Government Summit and Oliver Wyman: New York, NY, USA, 2018; p. 30.
- Conteratto, C.; do Carmo Martinelli, G.; de Oliveira, L. Food Security, Smart Agriculture and Sustainability: The State of the Art in the Scientific Field. RISUS 2020, 11, 33–43.
- Eli-Chukwu, N.C. Applications of Artificial Intelligence in Agriculture: A Review. Eng. Technol. Appl. Sci. Res. 2019, 9, 4377–4383.
- Ruiz-Real, J.L.; Uribe-Toril, J.; Torres Arriaza, J.A.; de Pablo Valenciano, J. A Look at the Past, Present and Future Research Trends of Artificial Intelligence in Agriculture. Agronomy 2020, 10, 1839.
- Schroeder, K.; Kamel, A.; Sticklen, J.; Ward, R.; Ritchie, J.; Schulthess, U.; Rafea, A.; Salah, A. Guiding Object-Oriented Design Via the Knowledge Level Architecture: The Irrigated Wheat Testbed. Math. Comput. Model. 1994, 20, 1–16.
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. Climate-Smart Agriculture. Available online: http://www.fao.org/climate-smart-agriculture/en/ (accessed on 29 June 2021).
- Rosenzweig, C.; Mbow, C.; Barioni, L.G.; Benton, T.G.; Herrero, M.; Krishnapillai, M.; Liwenga, E.T.; Pradhan, P.; Rivera-Ferre, M.G.; Sapkota, T.; et al. Climate Change Responses Benefit from a Global Food System Approach. Nat. Food 2020, 1, 94–97.
- Herrero, M.; Thornton, P.K.; Mason-D’Croz, D.; Palmer, J.; Benton, T.G.; Bodirsky, B.L.; Bogard, J.R.; Hall, A.; Lee, B.; Nyborg, K.; et al. Innovation Can Accelerate the Transition towards a Sustainable Food System. Nat. Food 2020, 1, 266–272.
- Herrero, M.; Thornton, P.K.; Mason-D’Croz, D.; Palmer, J.; Bodirsky, B.L.; Pradhan, P.; Barrett, C.B.; Benton, T.G.; Hall, A.; Pikaar, I.; et al. Articulating the Effect of Food Systems Innovation on the Sustainable Development Goals. Lancet Planet. Health 2021, 5, e50–e62.
- Manuel Ciruela-Lorenzo, A.; Rosa Del Aguila-Obra, A.; Padilla-Melendez, A.; Jose Plaza-Angulo, J. Digitalization of Agri-Cooperatives in the Smart Agriculture Context. Proposal of a Digital Diagnosis Tool. Sustainability 2020, 12, 1325.
- Vorotnikov, I.L.; Ukolova, N.V.; Monakhov, S.V.; Shikhanova, J.A.; Neyfeld, V.V. Economic Aspects of the Development of the “Digital Agriculture” System. Sci. Pap. Ser. Manag. Econ. Eng. Agric. Rural Dev. 2020, 20, 633–638.
- Martinho, V.J.P.D. Exploring the Topics of Soil Pollution and Agricultural Economics: Highlighting Good Practices. Agriculture 2020, 10, 24.
- Martinho, V.J.P.D. Agricultural Entrepreneurship in the European Union: Contributions for a Sustainable Development. Appl. Sci. 2020, 10, 2080.
- Bu, F.; Wang, X. A Smart Agriculture IoT System Based on Deep Reinforcement Learning. Futur. Gener. Comp. Syst. 2019, 99, 500–507.
- Sverdrup, H.; Svensson, M.G.E. Defining sustainability. In Developing Principles and Models for Sustainable Forestry in Sweden; Sverdrup, H., Stjernquist, I., Eds.; Managing Forest Ecosystems; Springer: Dordrecht, The Netherlands, 2002; Volume 5, pp. 21–32. ISBN 978-94-015-9888-0.
- Kuhlman, T.; Farrington, J. What Is Sustainability? Sustainability 2010, 2, 3436–3448.
- Gras, C.; Cáceres, D.M. Technology, Nature’s Appropriation and Capital Accumulation in Modern Agriculture. Curr. Opin. Environ. Sustain. 2020, 45, 1–9.
- Taylor, M. Climate-Smart Agriculture: What Is It Good For? J. Peasant Stud. 2018, 45, 89–107.
- Torquebiau, E.; Rosenzweig, C.; Chatrchyan, A.M.; Andrieu, N.; Khosla, R. Identifying Climate-Smart Agriculture Research Needs. Cah. Agric. 2018, 27.
- Van Wijk, M.T.; Merbold, L.; Hammond, J.; Butterbach-Bahl, K. Improving Assessments of the Three Pillars of Climate Smart Agriculture: Current Achievements and Ideas for the Future. Front. Sustain. Food Syst. 2020, 4, 148.
- Liberati, A.; Altman, D.G.; Tetzlaff, J.; Mulrow, C.; Gøtzsche, P.C.; Ioannidis, J.P.A.; Clarke, M.; Devereaux, P.J.; Kleijnen, J.; Moher, D. The PRISMA Statement for Reporting Systematic Reviews and Meta-Analyses of Studies That Evaluate Health Care Interventions: Explanation and Elaboration. PLoS Med. 2009, 6, e1000100.