- Please check and comment entries here.
Artificial Intelligence and COVID-19 Pandemic
The COVID-19 pandemic has worked as a catalyst, pushing governments, private companies, and healthcare facilities to design, develop, and adopt innovative solutions to control it, as is often the case when people are driven by necessity. After 18 months since the first case, it is time to think about the pros and cons of such technologies, including artificial intelligence—which is probably the most complex and misunderstood by non-specialists—in order to get the most out of them, and to suggest future improvements and proper adoption.
2. Current Insights on Artificial Intelligence and COVID-19 Pandemic
The entry is from 10.3390/ijerph18147648
- Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center. COVID-19 Map. Available online: https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html (accessed on 18 June 2021).
- Melegari, G.; Giuliani, E.; Maini, G.; Barbieri, L.; Baffoni, P.; Bertellini, E.; Barbieri, A. Novel coronavirus (2019-nCov): Do you have enough intensive care units? Med. Intensiva 2020, 44, 583–585.
- Wilder-Smith, A.; Freedman, D.O. Isolation, quarantine, social distancing and community containment: Pivotal role for old-style public health measures in the novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) outbreak. J. Travel Med. 2020, 27, 27.
- Sjödin, H.; Wilder-Smith, A.; Osman, S.; Farooq, Z.; Rocklöv, J. Only strict quarantine measures can curb the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak in Italy, 2020. Eurosurveillance 2020, 25, 2000280.
- Wilder-Smith, A.; Chiew, C.J.; Lee, V.J. Can we contain the COVID-19 outbreak with the same measures as for SARS? Lancet Infect. Dis. 2020, 20, e102–e107.
- Musulin, J.; Šegota, S.B.; Štifanić, D.; Lorencin, I.; Anđelić, N.; Šušteršič, T.; Blagojević, A.; Filipović, N.; Ćabov, T.; Markova-Car, E. Application of artificial intelligence-based regression methods in the problem of covid-19 spread prediction: A systematic review. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 2021, 18, 4287.
- Anđelić, N.; Šegota, S.B.; Lorencin, I.; Jurilj, Z.; Šušteršič, T.; Blagojević, A.; Protić, A.; Ćabov, T.; Filipović, N.; Car, Z. Estimation of COVID-19 Epidemiology Curve of the United States Using Genetic Programming Algorithm. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 2021, 18, 959.
- Banerjee, D.; Das, D.; Pal, S.; Paul, S.R.; Debnath, A.; Reza, M. Effect of covid-19 on digital transformations in teaching learning methodology and its consequences in society: A review. J. Phys. Conf. Ser. 2021, 1797, 012066.
- Štifanić, D.; Musulin, J.; Miočević, A.; Šegota, S.B.; Šubić, R.; Car, Z. Impact of COVID-19 on Forecasting Stock Prices: An Integration of Stationary Wavelet Transform and Bidirectional Long Short-Term Memory. Complexity 2020, 2020, 12.
- Lorencin, I.; Šegota, S.B.; Anđelić, N.; Blagojević, A.; Šušteršić, T.; Protić, A.; Arsenijević, M.; Ćabov, T.; Filipović, N.; Car, Z. Automatic Evaluation of the Lung Condition of COVID-19 Patients Using X-ray Images and Convolutional Neural Networks. J. Pers. Med. 2021, 11, 28.
- Jiang, L.; Wu, Z.; Xu, X.; Zhan, Y.; Jin, X.; Wang, L.; Qiu, Y. Opportunities and challenges of artificial intelligence in the medical field: Current application, emerging problems, and problem-solving strategies. J. Int. Med. Res. 2021, 49, 1–11.
- Boulos, M.N.K.; Geraghty, E.M. Geographical tracking and mapping of coronavirus disease COVID-19/severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) epidemic and associated events around the world: How 21st century GIS technologies are supporting the global fight against outbreaks and epidemics. Int. J. Health Geogr. 2020, 19, 1–12.
- Alimadadi, A.; Aryal, S.; Manandhar, I.; Munroe, P.B.; Joe, B.; Cheng, X. Artificial intelligence and machine learning to fight COVID-19. Physiol. Genom. 2020, 52, 200–202.
- Arshadi, A.K.; Webb, J.; Salem, M.; Cruz, E.; Calad-Thomson, S.; Ghadirian, N.; Collins, J.; Diez-Cecilia, E.; Kelly, B.; Goodarzi, H.; et al. Artificial Intelligence for COVID-19 Drug Discovery and Vaccine Development. Front. Artif. Intell. 2020, 3, 65.
- Kongats, K.; McGetrick, J.A.; Raine, K.D.; Voyer, C.; Nykiforuk, C.I. Assessing general public and policy influencer support for healthy public policies to promote healthy eating at the population level in two Canadian provinces. Public Health Nutr. 2019, 22, 1492–1502.
- Giuliani, E.; Melegari, G.; Carrieri, F.; Barbieri, A. Overview of the main challenges in shared decision making in a multicultural and diverse society in the intensive and critical care setting. J. Eval. Clin. Pract. 2019, 26, 520–523.
- Anonymous. Show evidence that apps for COVID-19 contact-tracing are secure and effective. Nature 2020, 580, 563.
- Ming, L.C.; Untong, N.; Aliudin, N.A.; Osili, N.; Kifli, N.; Tan, C.S.; Goh, K.W.; Ng, P.E.; Al-Worafi, Y.M.; Lee, K.S.; et al. Mobile Health Apps on COVID-19 Launched in the Early Days of the Pandemic: Content Analysis and Review. JMIR mHealth uHealth 2020, 8, e19796.
- Du, L.; Raposo, V.L.; Wang, M. COVID-19 contact tracing apps: A technologic tower of babel and the gap for international pandemic control. JMIR mHealth uHealth 2020, 8, e23194.
- Barbieri, D.; Bigarelli, G. General Data Protection Regulation: A Relational Approach. J. Eur. Am. Intell. Stud. 2018, 53, 25–39.
- Gonçalves-Ferreira, D.; Sousa, M.; Bacelar-Silva, G.M.; Frade, S.; Antunes, L.F.; Beale, T.; Cruz-Correia, R. OpenEHR and General Data Protection Regulation: Evaluation of Principles and Requirements. JMIR Med. Inform. 2019, 7, e9845.
- Cioffi, A.; Lugi, C.; Cecannecchia, C. Apps for COVID-19 contact-tracing: Too many questions and few answers. Ethic. Med. Public Health 2020, 15, 100575.
- Zhang, M.; Chow, A.; Smith, H. COVID-19 Contact-Tracing Apps: Analysis of the Readability of Privacy Policies (Preprint). J. Med. Internet Res. 2020, 22, e21572.
- Bengio, Y.; Ippolito, D.; Janda, R.; Jarvie, M.; Prud’Homme, B.; Rousseau, J.-F.; Sharma, A.; Yu, Y.W. Inherent privacy limitations of decentralized contact tracing apps. J. Am. Med. Inform. Assoc. 2021, 28, 193–195.
- Javaid, M.; Haleem, A.; Vaishya, R.; Bahl, S.; Suman, R.; Vaish, A. Industry 4.0 technologies and their applications in fighting COVID-19 pandemic. Diabetes Metab. Syndr. Clin. Res. Rev. 2020, 14, 419–422.
- Hofer, I.S.; Burns, M.; Kendale, S.; Wanderer, J.P. Realistically Integrating Machine Learning into Clinical Practice: A road map of opportunities, challenges, and a potential future. Anesth. Analg. 2020, 130, 1115–1118.
- Rivi, V.; Melegari, G.; Blom, J.M. How to humanise the COVID-19 intensive care units. BMJ Evid. Based Med. 2021.