- Please check and comment entries here.
Extended-Range Electric Vehicles
Extended-range electric vehicles (EREVs), commonly known as series hybrid electric vehicles (Series-HEV), have better autonomy than electric vehicles (EV) without range extenders (REs). EREVs can go from one city to another or make long journeys in general.
2. Extended Range Electric Vehicle Technology
2.1. Technological Classification of EREV
High instant power and high power density.
High torque at low speeds for starting and climbing, and high power at high speeds for cruising.
An extensive speed range including constant-torque and constant-power regions. In this case, the APU, when it is on, needs to operate in the same regions.
Fast torque response.
High efficiency over a large speed and torque ranges.
High reliability and robustness for various vehicle operating conditions.
2.1.1. Internal Combustion Engine Extended Range (ICE-ER)
2.1.2. Regenerative Shock Absorber Extended Range (RSA-ER)
2.1.3. Regenerative Braking Extended Range RB-ER
2.1.4. Fuel Cell Extended Range (FC-ER)
2.1.5. Micro Gas Turbine Extended Range (MGT-ER)
A radial compressor compresses the inlet air.
Air is pre-heated in the recuperator using heat from the turbine exhaust.
Heated air from the recuperator is mixed with fuel in the combustion chamber and burned.
Hot gas expands in turbine stages, and the gas’s energy is converted into mechanical energy to drive the air-compressor and the drive equipment (usually generator).
2.1.6. Thermoacoustic Engine Extended Range (TAE-ER)
The exhaust heat is converted to acoustic energy (mechanical);
The acoustic energy is converted to electrical energy .
2.1.7. Flywheel Energy Storage Extended Range (FES-ER)
2.1.8. Solar Energy Storage Extended Range (SES-ER)
2.1.9. Rotatory Engine Extended Range (RE-ER)
2.1.10. Wind Turbine Extended Range (WT-ER)
The entry is from 10.3390/app11157095
- İnci, M.; Büyük, M.; Demir, M.H.; İlbey, G. A review and research on fuel cell electric vehicles: Topologies, power electronic converters, energy management methods, technical challenges, marketing and future aspects. Renew. Sustain. Energy Rev. 2021, 137, 110648.
- Lou, G.; Ma, H.; Fan, T.; Chan, H.K. Impact of the dual-credit policy on improvements in fuel economy and the production of internal combustion engine vehicles. Resour. Conserv. Recycl. 2020, 156, 104712.
- Song, W.; Zhang, X.; Tian, Y.; Xi, L.h. A charging management-based intelligent control strategy for extended-range electric vehicles. J. Zhejiang Univ. Sci. A 2016, 17, 903–910.
- Tate, E.D.; Harpster, M.O.; Savagian, P.J. The Electrification of the Automobile: From Conventional Hybrid, to Plug-in Hybrids, to Extended-Range Electric Vehicles. SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars-Electron. Electr. Syst. 2008, 1, 2008-01-0458.
- Song, K.; Zhang, J.; Zhang, T. Design and Development of a pluggable PEMFC extended Range Electric Vehicle. In Proceedings of the 2011 Second International Conference on Mechanic Automation and Control Engineering, Inner Mongolia, China, 15–17 July 2011; pp. 1144–1147.
- Xian, T.F.; Soon, C.M.; Rajoo, S.; Romagnoli, A. A parametric study: The impact of components sizing on range extended electric vehicle’s driving range. In Proceedings of the 2016 Asian Conference on Energy, Power and Transportation Electrification (ACEPT), Singapore, 25–27 October 2016; pp. 1–6.
- Wahono, B.; Nur, A.; Santoso, W.B.; Praptijanto, A. A comparison study of range-extended engines for electric vehicle based on vehicle simulator. J. Mech. Eng. Sci. 2016, 10, 1803–1816.
- Wang, X.; Lv, H.; Sun, Q.; Mi, Y.; Gao, P. A Proportional Resonant Control Strategy for Efficiency Improvement in Extended Range Electric Vehicles. Energies 2017, 10, 204.
- Lee, W.; Jeoung, H.; Park, D.; Kim, N. An Adaptive Concept of PMP-Based Control for Saving Operating Costs of Extended-Range Electric Vehicles. IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol. 2019, 68, 11505–11512.
- Tang, T.Q.; Chen, L.; Yang, S.C.; Shang, H.Y. An extended car-following model with consideration of the electric vehicle’s driving range. Phys. A Stat. Mech. Appl. 2015, 430, 148–155.
- Xu, X.; Lv, M.; Chen, Z.; Ji, W.; Gao, R. Analysis of electric vehicle extended range misalignment based on rigid-flexible dynamics. IOP Conf. Ser. Earth Environ. Sci. 2017, 61, 012018.
- Hall, J.; Marlok, H.; Bassett, M.; Warth, M. Analysis of Real World Data from a Range Extended Electric Vehicle Demonstrator. SAE Int. J. Altern. Powertrains 2014, 4, 2887.
- Dost, P.; Spichartz, P.; Sourkounis, C. Charging behaviour of users utilising battery electric vehicles and extended range electric vehicles within the scope of a field test. In Proceedings of the 2015 International Conference on Renewable Energy Research and Applications (ICRERA), Palermo, Italy, 22–25 November 2015; Volume 54, pp. 1162–1167.
- Figueroa-García, J.; López-Santana, E.; Villa-Ramírez, J.; Ferro-Escobar, R. Applied Computer Sciences in Engineering. Commun. Comput. Inf. Sci. 2017, 742, 65–71.
- Du, J.; Chen, J.; Song, Z.; Gao, M.; Ouyang, M. Design method of a power management strategy for variable battery capacities range-extended electric vehicles to improve energy efficiency and cost-effectiveness. Energy 2017, 121, 32–42.
- Guan, J.C.; Chen, B.C.; Wu, Y.Y. Design of an Adaptive Power Management Strategy for Range Extended Electric Vehicles. Energies 2019, 12, 1610.
- Shi, L.; Guo, Y.; Xiao, D.; Han, Z.; Zhou, X. Design, optimization, and study of a rare-earth permanent-magnet generator with new consequent-pole rotor for extended-range electric vehicle. IEEJ Trans. Electr. Electron. Eng. 2019, 14, 917–923.
- Du, J.; Chen, J.; Gao, M.; Wang, J. Energy Efficiency Oriented Design Method of Power Management Strategy for Range-Extended Electric Vehicles. Math. Probl. Eng. 2016, 2016, 1–9.
- Sneha Angeline, P.; Newlin Rajkumar, M. Evolution of electric vehicle and its future scope. Mater. Today Proc. 2020, 33, 3930–3936.
- Lijewski, P.; Kozak, M.; Fuć, P.; Rymaniak, Ł.; Ziółkowski, A. Exhaust emissions generated under actual operating conditions from a hybrid vehicle and an electric one fitted with a range extender. Transp. Res. Part D Transp. Environ. 2020, 78, 102183.
- Guo, R.; Cao, C.; Mi, Y.; Huang, Y. Experimental investigation of the noise, vibration and harshness performances of a range-extended electric vehicle. Proc. Inst. Mech. Eng. Part D J. Automob. Eng. 2016, 230, 650–663.
- Ramotar, L.; Rohrauer, G.L.; Filion, R.; MacDonald, K. Experimental verification of a thermal equivalent circuit dynamic model on an extended range electric vehicle battery pack. J. Power Sources 2017, 343, 383–394.
- Vatanparvar, K.; Faezi, S.; Burago, I.; Levorato, M.; Al Faruque, M.A. Extended Range Electric Vehicle with Driving Behavior Estimation in Energy Management. IEEE Trans. Smart Grid 2019, 10, 2959–2968.
- Yan, X.; Fleming, J.; Lot, R. Extending the range of Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles by CVT transmission optimal management. Energy Procedia 2018, 151, 17–22.
- Kim, T.Y.; Lee, S.H. Combustion and emission characteristics of wood pyrolysis oil-butanol blended fuels in a DI diesel engine. Int. J. Automot. Technol. 2015, 16, 903–912.
- Wu, D.; Feng, L. On-Off Control of Range Extender in Extended-Range Electric Vehicle using Bird Swarm Intelligence. Electronics 2019, 8, 1223.
- Lee, G.S.; Kim, D.H.; Han, J.H.; Hwang, M.H.; Cha, H.R. Optimal Operating Point Determination Method Design for Range-Extended Electric Vehicles Based on Real Driving Tests. Energies 2019, 12, 845.
- Liu, H.; Lei, Y.; Fu, Y.; Li, X. Parameter matching and optimization for power system of range-extended electric vehicle based on requirements. Proc. Inst. Mech. Eng. Part D J. Automob. Eng. 2020, 234, 3316–3328.
- Jiang, Y. Parameters Optimization for Extended-range Electric Vehicle Based on Improved Chaotic Particle Swarm Optimization. Int. J. Grid Distrib. Comput. 2016, 9, 1–10.
- Kopczyński, A.; Krawczyk, P.; Lasocki, J. Parameters selection of extended-range electric vehicle supplied with alternative fuel. E3S Web Conf. 2018, 44, 00073.
- Ren, G.; Shan, S.; Ma, G.; Shang, X.; Zhu, S.; Zhang, Q.; Yang, T. Review of energy storage technologies for extended range electric vehicle. J. Appl. Sci. Eng. 2019, 22, 69–82.
- Baek, D.; Chang, N. Runtime Power Management of Battery Electric Vehicles for Extended Range With Consideration of Driving Time. IEEE Trans. Very Large Scale Integr. (VLSI) Syst. 2019, 27, 549–559.
- Zhao, J.b.; Han, B.y.; Bei, S.y. Start-Stop Moment Optimization of Range Extender and Control Strategy Design for Extended -Range Electric Vehicle. IOP Conf. Ser. Mater. Sci. Eng. 2017, 241, 012025.
- Li, J.; Wang, Y.; Chen, J.; Zhang, X. Study on energy management strategy and dynamic modeling for auxiliary power units in range-extended electric vehicles. Appl. Energy 2017, 194, 363–375.
- Chambon, P.; Curran, S.; Huff, S.; Love, L.; Post, B.; Wagner, R.; Jackson, R.; Green, J. Development of a range-extended electric vehicle powertrain for an integrated energy systems research printed utility vehicle. Appl. Energy 2017, 191, 99–110.
- Pozzato, G.; Formentin, S.; Panzani, G.; Savaresi, S. Least Costly Energy Management for Extended-Range Electric Vehicles with Noise Emissions Characterization. IFAC-PapersOnLine 2019, 52, 586–591.
- Pozzato, G.; Formentin, S.; Panzani, G.; Savaresi, S.M. Least costly energy management for extended-range electric vehicles: An economic optimization framework. Eur. J. Control 2020, 56, 218–230.
- Zhang, Z.; Zhang, X.; Chen, W.; Rasim, Y.; Salman, W.; Pan, H.; Yuan, Y.; Wang, C. A high-efficiency energy regenerative shock absorber using supercapacitors for renewable energy applications in range extended electric vehicle. Appl. Energy 2016, 178, 177–188, Corrigendum in 2019, 254, 113634.
- Satpute, N.V.; Singh, S.; Sawant, S.M. Energy Harvesting Shock Absorber with Electromagnetic and Fluid Damping. Adv. Mech. Eng. 2015, 6, 693592.
- Zhang, Y.; Zhang, X.; Zhan, M.; Guo, K.; Zhao, F.; Liu, Z. Study on a novel hydraulic pumping regenerative suspension for vehicles. J. Frankl. Inst. 2015, 352, 485–499.
- Qiu, C.; Wang, G.; Meng, M.; Shen, Y. A novel control strategy of regenerative braking system for electric vehicles under safety critical driving situations. Energy 2018, 149, 329–340.
- Liu, H.; Lei, Y.; Fu, Y.; Li, X. An Optimal Slip Ratio-Based Revised Regenerative Braking Control Strategy of Range-Extended Electric Vehicle. Energies 2020, 13, 1526.
- Zhao, X.; Xu, S.; Ye, Y.; Yu, M.; Wang, G. Composite braking AMT shift strategy for extended-range heavy commercial electric vehicle based on LHMM/ANFIS braking intention identification. Clust. Comput. 2019, 22, 8513–8528.
- Aygen, M.S.; İnci, M. Zero-sequence current injection based power flow control strategy for grid inverter interfaced renewable energy systems. Energy Sources Part Recover. Util. Environ. Eff. 2020, 1–22.
- Ozden, A.; Shahgaldi, S.; Li, X.; Hamdullahpur, F. A review of gas diffusion layers for proton exchange membrane fuel cells—With a focus on characteristics, characterization techniques, materials and designs. Prog. Energy Combust. Sci. 2019, 74, 50–102.
- İnci, M. Active/reactive energy control scheme for grid-connected fuel cell system with local inductive loads. Energy 2020, 197, 117191.
- Zhou, Y.; Li, H.; Ravey, A.; Péra, M.C. An integrated predictive energy management for light-duty range-extended plug-in fuel cell electric vehicle. J. Power Sources 2020, 451, 227780.
- Chu, Y.; Wu, Y.; Chen, J.; Zheng, S.; Wang, Z. Design of energy and materials for ammonia-based extended-range electric vehicles. Energy Procedia 2019, 158, 3064–3069.
- Dimitrova, Z.; Maréchal, F. Environomic design for electric vehicles with an integrated solid oxide fuel cell (SOFC) unit as a range extender. Renew. Energy 2017, 112, 124–142.
- Wu, X.L.; Xu, Y.W.; Zhao, D.Q.; Zhong, X.B.; Li, D.; Jiang, J.; Deng, Z.; Fu, X.; Li, X. Extended-range electric vehicle-oriented thermoelectric surge control of a solid oxide fuel cell system. Appl. Energy 2020, 263, 114628.
- Karaoğlan, M.U.; Kuralay, N.S.; Colpan, C.O. Investigation of the effects of battery types and power management algorithms on drive cycle simulation for a range-extended electric vehicle powertrain. Int. J. Green Energy 2019, 16, 1–11.
- Liu, Y.; Li, J.; Chen, Z.; Qin, D.; Zhang, Y. Research on a multi-objective hierarchical prediction energy management strategy for range extended fuel cell vehicles. J. Power Sources 2019, 429, 55–66.
- Geng, C.; Jin, X.; Zhang, X. Simulation research on a novel control strategy for fuel cell extended-range vehicles. Int. J. Hydrogen Energy 2019, 44, 408–420.
- Almasi, A. Bright future of micro-turbines: Nuclear emergency cooling and miniature generator. Aust. J. Mech. Eng. 2013, 11, 169–175.
- Karvountzis-Kontakiotis, A.; Andwari, A.M.; Pesyridis, A.; Russo, S.; Tuccillo, R.; Esfahanian, V. Application of Micro Gas Turbine in Range-Extended Electric Vehicles. Energy 2018, 147, 351–361.
- Bou Nader, W.S.; Mansour, C.J.; Nemer, M.G. Optimization of a Brayton external combustion gas-turbine system for extended range electric vehicles. Energy 2018, 150, 745–758.
- Reine, A.; Bou Nader, W. Fuel consumption potential of different external combustion gas-turbine thermodynamic configurations for extended range electric vehicles. Energy 2019, 175, 900–913.
- Sahoo, D.; Kotrba, A.; Steiner, T.; Swift, G. Waste Heat Recovery for Light-Duty Truck Application Using ThermoAcoustic Converter Technology. SAE Int. J. Engines 2017, 10, 0153.
- Nader, W.B.; Chamoun, J.; Dumand, C. Optimization of the thermodynamic configurations of a thermoacoustic engine auxiliary power unit for range extended hybrid electric vehicles. Energy 2020, 195.
- Bou Nader, W.; Chamoun, J.; Dumand, C. Thermoacoustic engine as waste heat recovery system on extended range hybrid electric vehicles. Energy Convers. Manag. 2020, 215, 112912.
- Arani, A.K.; Karami, H.; Gharehpetian, G.; Hejazi, M. Review of Flywheel Energy Storage Systems structures and applications in power systems and microgrids. Renew. Sustain. Energy Rev. 2017, 69, 9–18.
- Itani, K.; De Bernardinis, A.; Khatir, Z.; Jammal, A. Comparative analysis of two hybrid energy storage systems used in a two front wheel driven electric vehicle during extreme start-up and regenerative braking operations. Energy Convers. Manag. 2017, 144, 69–87.
- ElNozahy, M.; Salama, M. Studying the feasibility of charging plug-in hybrid electric vehicles using photovoltaic electricity in residential distribution systems. Electr. Power Syst. Res. 2014, 110, 133–143.
- Keshri, R.; Bertoluzzo, M.; Buja, G. Integration of a Photovoltaic Panel with an Electric City Car. Electr. Power Compon. Syst. 2014, 42, 481–495.
- Ezzat, M.; Dincer, I. Development, analysis and assessment of a fuel cell and solar photovoltaic system powered vehicle. Energy Convers. Manag. 2016, 129, 284–292.
- Zahir Hussain, M.; Anbalagan, R.; Jayabalakrishnan, D.; Naga Muruga, D.; Prabhahar, M.; Bhaskar, K.; Sendilvelan, S. Charging of car battery in electric vehicle by using wind energy. Mater. Today Proc. 2020.
- King, P. The Development of the Szorenyi Four-Chamber Rotary Engine. In Proceedings of the SAE International Powertrains, Fuels and Lubricants Meeting, Heidelberg, Germany, 17–19 September 2018.
- Zambalov, S.D.; Yakovlev, I.A.; Maznoy, A.S. Effect of multiple fuel injection strategies on mixture formation and combustion in a hydrogen-fueled rotary range extender for battery electric vehicles. Energy Convers. Manag. 2020, 220, 113097.
- Ferdous, S.; Bin Khaled, W.; Ahmed, B.; Salehin, S.; Ghani Ovy, E. Electric Vehicle with Charging Facility in Motion using Wind Energy. In Proceedings of the World Renewable Energy Congress, Linköping, Sweden, 8–13 May 2011; Volume 57, pp. 3629–3636.
- Goushcha, O.; Felicissimo, R.; Danesh-Yazdi, A.H.; Andreopoulos, Y. Exploring harnessing wind power in moving reference frames with application to vehicles. Adv. Mech. Eng. 2019, 11, 168781401986568.
- Hossain, M.F.; Fara, N. Integration of wind into running vehicles to meet its total energy demand. Energy Ecol. Environ. 2017, 2, 35–48.