- Please check and comment entries here.
Materials for Filament Fabrication
Fused filament fabrication (FFF) is one of the most popular additive manufacturing (AM) processes that utilize thermoplastic polymers to produce three-dimensional (3D) geometry products. The FFF filament materials have a significant role in determining the properties of the final part produced, such as mechanical properties, surface quality, thermal conductivity, and electrical conductivity.
Fused filament fabrication (FFF) is one of the most popular additive manufacturing (AM) processes that utilize thermoplastic polymers to produce three-dimensional (3D) geometry products. The FFF filament materials have a significant role in determining the properties of the final part produced, such as mechanical properties, surface quality, thermal conductivity, and electrical conductivity. This article intensively reviews the state-of-the-art materials for FFF filaments. To date, there are many different types of FFF filament materials that have been developed. The filament materials range from pure thermoplastics to composites, bioplastics, and composites of bioplastics. Different types of reinforcements such as particles, fibers, and nanoparticles are incorporated into the composite filaments to improve the FFF build part properties. The performance, limitations, and opportunities of a specific type of FFF filament will be discussed. Additionally, the challenges and requirements for filament production from different materials will be evaluated. In addition, to provide a concise review of fundamental knowledge about the FFF filament, this article will also highlight potential research directions to stimulate future filament development. Finally, the importance and scopes of using bioplastics and their composites for developing eco-friendly filaments will be introduced.
2. Additive Manufacturing
Fused Filament Fabrication
The entry is from 10.3390/jmmp5030069
- Sathies, T.; Senthil, P.; Anoop, M. A review on advancements in applications of fused deposition modelling process. Rapid Prototyp. J. 2020, 26, 669–687.
- Dey, A.; Yodo, N. A Systematic Survey of FDM Process Parameter Optimization and Their Influence on Part Characteristics. J. Manuf. Mater. Process. 2019, 3, 64.
- Foresti, R.; Rossi, S.; Selleri, S. Bio composite materials: Nano functionalization of 4D bio engineered scaffold. In Proceedings of the 2019 IEEE International Conference on BioPhotonics (BioPhotonics), Taipei, Taiwan, 15–18 September 2019; pp. 1–2.
- Attaran, M. The rise of 3-D printing: The advantages of additive manufacturing over traditional manufacturing. Bus. Horiz. 2017, 60, 677–688.
- Ford, S.; Despeisse, M. Additive manufacturing and sustainability: An exploratory study of the advantages and challenges. J. Clean. Prod. 2016, 137, 1573–1587.
- Lewandowski, J.J.; Seifi, M. Metal Additive Manufacturing: A Review of Mechanical Properties. Annu. Rev. Mater. Res. 2016, 46, 151–186.
- ASTM Int. F2792-12a. Standard Terminology for Additive Manufacturing Technologies. 2012. Available online: (accessed on 28 June 2021).
- Véronneau, S.; Torrington, G.; Hlavka, J. 3D Printing: Downstream Production Transforming the Supply Chain; RAND Corporation: Santa Monica, CA, USA, 2017.
- Jasiuk, I.; Abueidda, D.W.; Kozuch, C.; Pang, S.; Su, F.Y.; McKittrick, J. An Overview on Additive Manufacturing of Polymers. JOM 2018, 70, 275–283.
- Fu, X.; Zhang, X.; Huang, Z. Axial crushing of Nylon and Al/Nylon hybrid tubes by FDM 3D printing. Compos. Struct. 2021, 256, 113055.
- Yodo, N.; Dey, A. Multi-Objective Optimization for FDM Process Parameters with Evolutionary Algorithms. In Fused Deposition Modeling Based 3D Printing; Springer: Cham, Switzerland, 2021; pp. 419–444.
- Popescu, D.; Zapciu, A.; Amza, C.; Baciu, F.; Marinescu, R. FDM process parameters influence over the mechanical properties of polymer specimens: A review. Polym. Test. 2018, 69, 157–166.
- Dey, A.; Yodo, N.; Khoda, B. Optimizing Process Parameters under Uncertainty in Fused Deposition Modeling. In Proceedings of the 2019 IIE Annual Conference, Orlando, FL, USA, 18–21 May 2019; Institute of Industrial and Systems Engineers (IISE): Peachtree Corners, GA, USA, 2019.
- Dey, A.; Yodo, N. Decision Analysis for Selecting FDM Process Parameters using Bayesian Network Approach. In Proceedings of the 2020 IIE Annual Conference, Virtual Conference, 1–3 November 2020; Institute of Industrial and Systems Engineers (IISE): Peachtree Corners, GA, USA, 2020.
- Wickramasinghe, S.; Do, T.; Tran, P. FDM-Based 3D Printing of Polymer and Associated Composite: A Review on Mechanical Properties, Defects and Treatments. Polymers 2020, 12, 1529.
- Rahim, T.N.A.T.; Abdullah, A.M.; Akil, H.M. Recent Developments in Fused Deposition Modeling-Based 3D Printing of Polymers and Their Composites. Polym. Rev. 2019, 59, 589–624.
- Mohan, N.; Senthil, P.; Vinodh, S.; Jayanth, N. A review on composite materials and process parameters optimisation for the fused deposition modelling process. Virtual Phys. Prototyp. 2017, 12, 47–59.
- Kabir, S.M.F.; Mathur, K.; Seyam, A.-F.M. A critical review on 3D printed continuous fiber-reinforced composites: History, mechanism, materials and properties. Compos. Struct. 2020, 232, 111476.
- Penumakala, P.K.; Santo, J.; Thomas, A. A critical review on the fused deposition modeling of thermoplastic polymer composites. Compos. Part B Eng. 2020, 201, 108336.