- Please check and comment entries here.
Ground Beetle Communities and Urbanization
Urbanization involves the profound alteration of original habitats and causes habitat loss and biodiversity decline. Urban areas and roads in land use mainly have a negative influence on ground beetles. Paddies, fields, parks and green spaces, and open space were positively correlated with species richness of forest species and large-sized species, and open space was positively correlated with species richness and the density of open land species. However, ground beetle communities in different areas of varying sizes did not group separately. These results suggest that changes in paddies, fields, parks and green spaces, forests, and open space associated with the expanding urban area and road greatly influenced species composition, and the community structure remained similar.
2. Response of Ground Beetle (Coleoptera: Carabidae) Communities to Effect of Urbanization in Southern Osaka
The entry is from 10.3390/su13137134
- McDonald, R.I.; Kareiva, P.; Forman, R.T.T. The implications of current and future urbanization for global protected areas and biodiversity conservation. Biol. Conserv. 2008, 141, 1695–1703.
- McKinney, M.L. Effects of urbanization on species richness: A review of plants and animals. Urban Ecosyst. 2008, 11, 161–176.
- Elmqvist, T.; Fragkias, M.; Goodness, J.; Güeralp, B.; Marcotullio, P.J.; McDonald, R.I.; Parnell, S.; Schewenius, M.; Sendstad, M.; Seto, K.C.; et al. Urbanization, Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services: Challenges and Opportunities; Springer: Dordrecht, The Netherlands; Heidelberg, Germany; New York, NY, USA; London, UK, 2013.
- United Nations. World Urbanization Prospects: The 2018 Revision; United Nations, Department of Economic and Social Affirs, Population Division: New York, NY, USA, 2018.
- Magura, T.; Lövei, G.L.; Tóthmérész, B. Conversion from environmental filtering to randomness as assembly rule of ground beetle assemblages along an urbanization gradient. Sci. Rep. 2018, 8, 1–9.
- Martinson, H.M.; Raupp, M.J. A meta-analysis of the effects of urbanization on ground beetle communities. Ecosphere 2013, 4, 60.
- Piano, E.; Souffreau, C.; Merckx, T.; Baardsen, L.F.; Backeljau, T.; Bonte, D.; Brans, K.I.; Cours, M.; Dahirel, M.; Debortoli, N.; et al. Urbanization drives cross-taxon declines in abundance and diversity at multiple spatial scales. Glob. Chang. Biol. 2020, 26, 1196–1211.
- Elek, Z.; Lövei, G.L. Patterns in ground beetle (Coleoptera: Carabidae) assemblages along an urbanisation gradient in Denmark. Acta Oecologica 2007, 32, 104–111.
- Lee, C.M.; Park, J.W.; Kwon, T.-S.; Kim, S.-S.; Ryu, J.W.; Jung, S.J.; Lee, S.K. Diversity and density of butterfly communities in urban green areas: An analytical approach using GIS. Zool. Stud. 2015, 54, 4.
- Magura, T.; Horváth, R.; Tóthmérész, B. Effects of urbanization on ground-dwelling spiders in forest patches, in Hungary. Landsc. Ecol. 2010, 25, 621–626.
- Rainio, J.; Niemelä, J. Ground beetles (Coleoptera: Carabidae) as bioindicators. Biodivers Conserve. 2003, 12, 487–506.
- Stewart, A.J.A.; New, T.R.; Lewis, O.T. Insect Conservation Biology; CABI: Wallingford, UK, 2007.
- Magura, T.; Lövei, G.L. Consequences of urban living: Urbanization and ground beetles. Curr. Landsc. Ecol. Rep. 2020, 6, 9–21.
- Hartley, D.J.; Koivula, M.J.; Spence, J.R.; Pelletier, R.; Ball, G.E. Effects of urbanization on ground beetle assemblages (Coleoptera, Carabidae) of grassland habitats in western Canada. Ecography 2007, 30, 673–684.
- Magura, T.; Lövei, G.; Tóthmérész, B. Does urbanization decrease diversity in ground beetle (Carabidae) assemblages? Glob. Ecol. Biogeogr. 2010, 19, 16–26.
- Ishitani, M.; Kotze, D.J.; Niemelä, J. Changes in carabid beetle assemblages across an urban–rural gradient in Japan. Ecography 2003, 26, 481–489.
- Lee, C.M.; Ishii, M. Species diversity of ground beetle assemblages at urban greeneries in southern Osaka, central Japan. Jpn. J. Environ. Entomol. Zool. 2009, 20, 47–58.
- Lake Biwa Museum. Ground Beetles of Satoyama, Shiga. 2021. Available online: (accessed on 12 March 2021).
- Lee, C.M.; Ishii, M. Species diversity of ground beetle assemblages in the riverbed of the Yamato River. Jpn. J. Environ. Entomol. Zool. 2009, 21, 15–28.
- Buczkowski, G.; Richmond, D.S. The Effect of Urbanization on Ant Abundance and Diversity: A Temporal Examination of Factors Affecting Biodiversity. PLoS ONE 2012, 7, e41729.
- Kong, F.; Yin, H.; Nakagoshi, N.; Zong, Y. Urban green space nextwork development for biodiversity conservation, Identification based on graph theory and gravity modeling. Landsc. Urban Plan. 2010, 95, 16–27.
- Lee, C.M.; Kwon, T.-S. Community structure, species diversity of insects (ants, ground beetle), and forest health in the Hongneung Forest. J. Korean Soc. For. Sci. 2013, 102, 97–106.
- Koivula, M.; Vermeulen, H.J.W. Highways and forest fragmentation. Landsc. Ecol. 2005, 20, 911–926.
- Keller, I.; Largiadèr, C.R. Recent habitat fragmentation caused by major roads leads to reduction of gene flow and loss of genetic variability in ground beetles. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. 2003, 270, 417–423.