- Please check and comment entries here.
Rumex dentatus L.
Herbicide resistance in weeds is a global threat to sustaining food security. In India, herbicide-resistant Phalaris minor was the major problem in wheat for more than two decades, but the continuous use of metsulfuron-methyl (an ALS inhibitor) to control broadleaf weeds has resulted in the evolution of ALS inhibitor-resistant Rumex dentatus L. This review summarizes the current scenario of herbicide resistance in R. dentatus, along with its ecology and management perspectives. Studies have provided valuable insights on the emergence pattern of R. dentatus under different environments in relation to tillage, cropping systems, nutrients, and irrigation. Moreover, R. dentatus has exhibited higher emergence under zero tillage, with high infestation levels in rice-wheat compared to other wheat-based cropping systems (sorghum-wheat). Alternative herbicides for the management of resistant R. dentatus include pendimethalin, 2,4-D, carfentrazone, isoproturon, and metribuzin. Although the pre-emergence application of pendimethalin is highly successful in suppressing R. dentatus, but its efficiency is questionable under lower field soil moisture and heavy residue load conditions. Nevertheless, the biological data may be utilized to control R. dentatus. Therefore, herbicide rotation with suitable spray techniques, collecting weed seeds at differential heights from wheat, crop rotation, alternate tillage practices, and straw retention are recommended for addressing the resistance issue in R. dentatus in North India conditions. Overall, we discuss the current state of herbicide resistance in R. dentatus, the agronomic factors affecting its population, its proliferation in specific cropping systems (rice-wheat), and management strategies for containing an infestation of a resistant population.
2. Herbicide Resistance in Rumex dentatus
|Phenyl urea (Isoproturon), Sulfonylurea (sulfosulfuron, mesosulfuron),
Aryloxyphenoxypropionic (Clodinafop), Cyclohexene oxime (Tralkoxydim), Phenylpyrazole (pinoxaden)and Triazolopyrimidine sulfonamide (pyroxsulam)
|Sulfonylurea (sulfosulfuron, mesosulfuron),Triazolopyrimidine sulfonamide (pyroxsulam)||Pendimethalin, Metribuzin
Clodinafop, Fenoxaprop, Pinoxaden, Flufenacet and Pyroxasulfone
|Triazolopyrimidine sulfonamide (pyroxsulam, florasulam), Sulfonylurea (metsulfuron, triasulfuron, iodosulfuron)||2,4-D, Carfentrazone,
Pendimethalin, Flumioxazin Metribuzin & Terbutryn
|Chenopodium album (Common lambsquarters)||Sulfonylurea (sulfosulfuron, metsulfuron)||2,4-D, Carfentrazone, Flumioxazin|
|Avena ludoviciana (Wild oat)||Sulfonylurea (sulfosulfuron, mesosulfuron), Aryloxyphenoxypropionic (Clodinafop)||Pyroxasulfone, Flufenacet|
The entry is from 10.3390/su13126947
- Gupta, R.K.; Naresh, R.K.; Hobbs, P.R.; Jiaguo, Z.; Ladha, J.K. Sustainability of Post-Green Revolution Agriculture: The Rice-Wheat Cropping Systems of the Indo-Gangetic Plains and China. In Animal Manure; Wiley: Hoboken, NJ, USA, 2015; Volume 65, pp. 1–25.
- Gupta, R.; Seth, A. A review of resource conserving technologies for sustainable management of the rice-wheat cropping systems of the Indo-Gangetic plains (IGP). Crop Prot. 2007, 26, 436–447.
- Timsina, J.; Connor, D.J. Productivity and management of rice–wheat cropping systems: Issues and challenges. Field Crops Res. 2001, 69, 93–132.
- Chauhan, B.S.; Mahajan, G.; Sardana, V.; Timsina, J.; Jat, M.L. Productivity and sustainability of the rice-wheat cropping system in the Indo-Gangetic Plains of the Indian subcontinent: Problems, opportunities, and strategies. Adv. Agron. 2012, 117, 315–369.
- Ladha, J.K.; Dawe, D.; Pathak, H.; Padre, A.T.; Yadav, R.L.; Singh, B.; Sakal, R. How extensive are yield declines in long-term rice–wheat experiments in Asia? Field Crops Res. 2003, 81, 159–180.
- Dey, A.; Dinesh; Rashmi. Rice and wheat production in India: An overtime study on growth and instability. J. Pharmacogn. Phytochem. 2020, 9, 158–161.
- Humphreys, E.; Kukal, S.S.; Christen, E.W.; Hira, G.S.; Sharma, R.K. Halting the groundwater decline in north-west India-which crop technologies will be winners? Adv. Agron. 2010, 109, 155–217.
- Chaudhary, A.; Chhokar, R.S.; Yadav, D.B.; Sindhu, V.K.; Ram, H.; Rawal, S.; Khedwal, R.S.; Sharma, R.K.; Gill, S.C. In-situ paddy straw management practices for higher resource use efficiency and crop productivity in Indo-Gangetic Plains (IGP) of India. J. Cereal Res. 2019, 11, 172–198.
- Gupta, P.K.; Sahai, S.; Singh, N.; Dixit, C.K.; Singh, D.P.; Sharma, C.; Garg, S.C. Residue burning in rice–wheat cropping system: Causes and implications. Curr. Sci. 2004, 87, 1713–1717.
- Kumar, V.; Ladha, J.K. Direct seeding of rice: Recent developments and future research needs. Adv. Agron. 2011, 111, 297–413.
- Chhokar, R.S.; Chaudhary, A.; Sharma, R.K. Herbicide resistant weeds in India and their management. In Fifty Years of Weed Science Research in India; Kumar, S., Mishra, J.S., Eds.; Indian Society of Weeds Science: Jabalpur, India, 2018; pp. 288–308.
- Bhullar, M.S.; Punia, S.S.; Tomar, S.S.; Singh, V.P.; Sharma, J.D. Little seed canary grass resistance to clodinafop in Punjab: Farmers’ perspective. Indian J. Weed Sci. 2014, 46, 237–240.
- Malik, R.K.; Singh, S. Littleseed canarygrass (Phalaris minor) resistance to isoproturon in India. Weed Technol. 1995, 9, 419–425.
- Yaduraju, N.T. Control of herbicide resistant Phalaris minor: Need for a sound weed management system. Pestology 1999, 264–270.
- Yaduraju, N.T. Weed management perspectives for India in changing agriculture scenario in country. Pak. J. Weed Sci. Res. 2012, 18, 703–710.
- Duke, S.O. Why have no new herbicide mode of action appeared in recent years? Pest Manag. Sci. 2012, 68, 505–512.
- Powles, S.B.; Yu, Q. Evolution in action: Plants resistant to herbicides. Annu. Rev. Plant Biol. 2010, 61, 317–347.
- Heap, I. The International Herbicide-Resistant Weed Database. Available online: (accessed on 19 April 2021).
- Franke, A.C. Ecological and Socio-Economical Aspects of Phalaris minor Epidemic in the Rice-Wheat System in Haryana. Ph.D. Thesis, Scottish Agricultural College, GIasgow University, Glasgow, UK, 2002.
- Singh, S.; Malik, R.K.; Balyan, R.S.; Singh, S. Distribution of weed flora of wheat in Haryana. Indian J. Weed Sci. 1995, 27, 114–121.
- Walia, U.S.; Brar, L.S.; Dhaliwal, B.K. Resistance to isoproturon in Phalaris minor Retz. In Punjab. Plant Prot. Q. 1997, 12, 138–140.
- Chhokar, R.S.; Sharma, R.K.; Sharma, I. Weed management strategies in wheat—A review. J. Wheat Res. 2012, 4, 1–21.
- Chhokar, R.S.; Malik, R.K. Isoproturon-resistant littleseed canarygrass (Phalaris minor) and its response to alternate herbicides. Weed Technol. 2002, 16, 116–123.
- Dhawan, R.S.; Punia, S.S.; Singh, S.; Yadav, D.; Malik, R.K. Productivity of wheat (Triticum aestivum) as affected by continuous use of new low dose herbicides for management of littleseed canarygrass (Phalaris minor). Indian J. Agron. 2009, 54, 58–62.
- Chhokar, R.S.; Sharma, R.K. Multiple herbicide resistance in littleseed canarygrass (Phalaris minor): A threat to wheat production in India. Weed Biol. Manag. 2008, 8, 112–123.
- Yadav, A.; Malik, R.K. Herbicide resistant Phalaris minor in wheat–A sustainability issue. In Resource Book; Department of Agronomy and Directorate of Extension Education CCSHAU: Hisar, India, 2005.
- Jena, T.; Singh, R.K.; Bisen, N. Surfactant influence on efficacy of herbicides in barley. Indian J. Weed Sci. 2018, 50, 56–58.
- Palsaniya, D.R.; Kumar, T.K.; Prabhu, G.; Dixit, A.K.; Rai, A.K.; Kumar, S. Weed dynamics in fodder oat (Avena sativa L.) genotypes. Range Manag. Agrofor. 2015, 36, 107–108.
- Singh, R. Effect of cropping sequence, seed rate and weed management on weed growth and yield of Indian mustard in western Rajasthan. Indian J. Weed Sci. 2006, 38, 69–72.
- Singh, S. Studies on weed management in berseem (Trifolium alexandrinum L.). Haryana J. Agron. 2012, 28, 77–80.
- Chaudhary, A.; Kaur, S. ALS/AHAS (Group B/2) inhibitors resistance in Rumex dentatus L. and Chenopodium album L. halting future wheat productivity of Haryana and Punjab. In Proceedings of the ISWS Golden Jubilee International Conference on “Weeds and Society: Challenges and Opportunities”, ICAR-DWR, Jabalpur, India, 21–24 November 2018; Indian Society of Weed Science: Jabalpur, India, 2018; p. 428.
- Chhokar, R.S.; Sharma, R.K.; Garg, R.; Sharma, I. Metsulfuron resistance in Rumex dentatus. In Wheat and Barley Newsletter; Directorate of Wheat Research: Karnal, India, 2013.
- Dhanda, S.; Chaudhary, A.; Kaur, S.; Bhullar, M.S. Herbicide resistance in Rumex dentatus against metsulfuron herbicide in Punjab and Haryana, India. Indian J. Weed Sci. 2020, 52, 259–264.
- Singh, S. Herbicide resistance in Rumex dentatus L. (toothed dock) confirmed. IWSS Newsl. 2016, 13–17. Available online: (accessed on 15 April 2021).
- Yadav, D.B.; Punia, S.S.; Singh, N.; Garg, R. Herbicide resistance in toothed dock population from Haryana. In Proceedings of the Biennial Conference of the Indian Society of Weed Science on “Doubling Farmers’ Income by 2022: The Role of Weed Science” MPUA&T, Udaipur, India, 1–3 March 2017; p. 63.
- Chhokar, R.S.; Sharma, R.K.; Gill, S.C.; Meena, R.P. Herbicides for broad-leaved weeds management in wheat. Indian J. Weed Sci. 2015, 47, 353–361.
- Chhokar, R.S.; Sharma, R.K.; Gill, S.C.; Singh, R.; Singh, G.P. Management of herbicide resistant weeds for sustainable wheat production. In Proceedings of the Biennial Conference of the Indian Society of Weed Science on “Doubling Farmers’ Income by 2022: The Role of Weed Science” MPUA&T, Udaipur, India, 1–3 March 2017; p. 63.
- Tranel, P.J.; Wright, T.R. Resistance of weeds to ALS-inhibiting herbicides: What have we learned? Weed Sci. 2002, 50, 700–712.
- Yadav, A.; Malik, R.K.; Gill, G.; Singh, S.; Chauhan, B.S.; Bellinder, R.R. Current status of weed resistance to herbicides in rice-wheat cropping system in Haryana and its management. Indian J. Weed Sci. 2006, 38, 194–206.