- Please check and comment entries here.
Metastatic Breast Cancer Patients: QOL
Metastatic breast cancer (MBC) remains incurable despite treatment improvements. The health-related quality of life is a multidimensional entity which covers physical, psychological and social dimensions. It is an important outcome particularly in patients with metastatic disease, as the primary goal of therapy is no longer curation, but to provide the best possible quality of life weighted against treatment risks and adverse symptoms. Patient-reported outcomes reflecting the quality of life are usually measured with validated questionnaires to evaluate treatment strategies based on symptom burden and to improve care delivery. This review shares insights into the role of patient-reported outcome measurements in MBC patients and describes the heterogeneity of current questionnaires. We conclude that an up-to-date and standardized outcome set is needed, containing relevant domains referring to individual needs to improve the quality of life assessment among MBC patients. This is a prerequisite to learn about how they could impact the clinical care pathway.
Metastatic breast cancer (MBC) patients are almost always treated to minimize the symptom burden, and to prolong life without a curative intent. Although the prognosis of MBC patients has improved in recent years, the median survival after diagnosis is still only 3 years. Therefore, the health-related quality of life (HRQoL) should play a leading role in making treatment decisions. Heterogeneity in questionnaires used to evaluate the HRQoL in MBC patients complicates the interpretability and comparability of patient-reported outcomes (PROs) globally. In this review, we aimed to provide an overview of PRO instruments used in real-world MBC patients and to discuss important issues in measuring HRQoL. Routinely collecting symptom information using PROs could enhance treatment evaluation and shared decision-making. Standardizing these measures might help to improve the implementation of PROs, and facilitates collecting and sharing data to establish valid comparisons in research. This is a prerequisite to learn about how they could impact the clinical care pathway. In addition, the prognostic value of intensified PRO collection throughout therapy on survival and disease progression is promising. Future perspectives in the field of PROs and MBC are described.
3. Future Perspectives
The entry is from 10.3390/cancers13102308
- Breast Cancer: Estimated Incidence, Mortality and Prevalence Worldwide International Agency for Research on Cancer. 2021. Available online: (accessed on 22 January 2021).
- Mettlin, C. Global breast cancer mortality statistics. CA Cancer J. Clin. 1999, 49, 138–144.
- Tyczynski, J.E.; Plesko, I.; Aareleid, T.; Primic-Zakelj, M.; Dalmas, M.; Kurtinaitis, J.; Stengrevics, A.; Parkin, D.M. Breast cancer mortality patterns and time trends in 10 new EU member states: Mortality declining in young women, but still increasing in the elderly. Int. J. Cancer 2004, 112, 1056–1064.
- Cardoso, F.; Costa, A.; Senkus, E.; Aapro, M.; Andre, F.; Barrios, C.H.; Bergh, J.; Bhattacharyya, G.; Biganzoli, L.; Cardoso, M.J.; et al. 3rd ESO-ESMO international consensus guidelines for Advanced Breast Cancer (ABC 3). Breast 2017, 31, 244–259.
- O’Shaughnessy, J. Extending survival with chemotherapy in metastatic breast cancer. Oncologist 2005, 10 (Suppl. 3), S20–S29.
- Cardoso, F.; Spence, D.; Mertz, S.; Corneliussen-James, D.; Sabelko, K.; Gralow, J.; Cardoso, M.J.; Peccatori, F.; Paonessa, D.; Benares, A.; et al. Global analysis of advanced/metastatic breast cancer: Decade report (2005–2015). Breast 2018, 39, 131–138.
- Sundquist, M.; Brudin, L.; Tejler, G. Improved survival in metastatic breast cancer 1985–2016. Breast 2017, 31, 46–50.
- Michael, Y.L.; Kawachi, I.; Berkman, L.F.; Holmes, M.D.; Colditz, G.A. The persistent impact of breast carcinoma on functional health status: Prospective evidence from the Nurses’ Health Study. Cancer 2000, 89, 2176–2186.
- Stein, K.D.; Syrjala, K.L.; Andrykowski, M.A. Physical and psychological long-term and late effects of cancer. Cancer 2008, 112 (Suppl. 11), 2577–2592.
- Snyder, C.F.; Aaronson, N.K. Use of patient-reported outcomes in clinical practice. Lancet 2009, 374, 369–370.
- Marshall, S.; Haywood, K.; Fitzpatrick, R. Impact of patient-reported outcome measures on routine practice: A structured review. J. Eval. Clin. Pract. 2006, 12, 559–568.
- van Egdom, L.S.E.; Oemrawsingh, A.; Verweij, L.M.; Lingsma, H.F.; Koppert, L.B.; Verhoef, C.; Klazinga, N.S.; Hazelzet, J.A. Implementing Patient-Reported Outcome Measures in Clinical Breast Cancer Care: A Systematic Review. Value Health 2019, 22, 1197–1226.
- Porter, M.E.; Larsson, S.; Lee, T.H. Standardizing Patient Outcomes Measurement. N. Engl. J. Med. 2016, 374, 504–506.
- Reed, E.; Kössler, I.; Hawthorn, J. Quality of life assessments in advanced breast cancer: Should there be more consistency? Eur. J. Cancer Care 2012, 21, 565–580.
- Pe, M.; Dorme, L.; Coens, C.; Basch, E.; Calvert, M.; Campbell, A.; Cleeland, C.; Cocks, K.; Collette, L.; Dirven, L.; et al. Statistical analysis of patient-reported outcome data in randomised controlled trials of locally advanced and metastatic breast cancer: A systematic review. Lancet Oncol. 2018, 19, e459–e469.
- Friedrich, M.; Hinz, A.; Kuhnt, S.; Schulte, T.; Rose, M.; Fischer, F. Measuring fatigue in cancer patients: A common metric for six fatigue instruments. Qual. Life Res. 2019, 28, 1615–1626.
- Choi, S.W.; Schalet, B.; Cook, K.F.; Cella, D. Establishing a common metric for depressive symptoms: Linking the BDI-II, CES-D, and PHQ-9 to PROMIS depression. Psychol. Assess. 2014, 26, 513–527.
- Ong, W.L.; Schouwenburg, M.G.; van Bommel, A.C.M.; Stowell, C.; Allison, K.H.; Benn, K.E.; Browne, J.P.; Cooter, R.D.; Delaney, G.P.; Duhoux, F.P.; et al. A Standard Set of Value-Based Patient-Centered Outcomes for Breast Cancer: The International Consortium for Health Outcomes Measurement (ICHOM) Initiative. JAMA Oncol. 2017, 3, 677–685.
- Denis, F.; Basch, E.; Septans, A.L.; Bennouna, J.; Urban, T.; Dueck, A.C.; Letellier, C. Two-Year Survival Comparing Web-Based Symptom Monitoring vs Routine Surveillance Following Treatment for Lung Cancer. JAMA 2019, 321, 306–307.
- Cella, D.; Riley, W.; Stone, A.; Rothrock, N.; Reeve, B.; Yount, S.; Amtmann, D.; Bode, R.; Buysse, D.; Choi, S.; et al. The Patient-Reported Outcomes Measurement Information System (PROMIS) developed and tested its first wave of adult self-reported health outcome item banks: 2005–2008. J. Clin. Epidemiol. 2010, 63, 1179–1194.
- Petersen, M.A.; Aaronson, N.K.; Arraras, J.I.; Chie, W.C.; Conroy, T.; Costantini, A.; Dirven, L.; Fayers, P.; Gamper, E.M.; Giesinger, J.M.; et al. The EORTC CAT Core-The computer adaptive version of the EORTC QLQ-C30 questionnaire. Eur. J. Cancer 2018, 100, 8–16.
- Cella, D.; Gershon, R.; Lai, J.S.; Choi, S. The future of outcomes measurement: Item banking, tailored short-forms, and computerized adaptive assessment. Qual. Life Res. 2007, 16 (Suppl. 1), S133–S141.
- Basch, E.; Deal, A.M.; Dueck, A.C.; Scher, H.I.; Kris, M.G.; Hudis, C.; Schrag, D. Overall Survival Results of a Trial Assessing Patient-Reported Outcomes for Symptom Monitoring During Routine Cancer Treatment. JAMA 2017, 318, 197–198.
- Basch, E.; Deal, A.M.; Kris, M.G.; Scher, H.I.; Hudis, C.A.; Sabbatini, P.; Rogak, L.; Bennett, A.V.; Dueck, A.C.; Atkinson, T.M.; et al. Symptom monitoring with patient-reported outcomes during routine cancer treatment: A randomized controlled trial. J. Clin. Oncol. 2016, 34, 557–565.
- Efficace, F.; Biganzoli, L.; Piccart, M.; Coens, C.; Van Steen, K.; Cufer, T.; Coleman, R.E.; Calvert, H.A.; Gamucci, T.; Twelves, C.; et al. Baseline health-related quality-of-life data as prognostic factors in a phase III multicentre study of women with metastatic breast cancer. Eur. J. Cancer 2004, 40, 1021–1030.
- Aranda, S.; Schofield, P.; Weih, L.; Yates, P.; Milne, D.; Faulkner, R.; Voudouris, N. Mapping the quality of life and unmet needs of urban women with metastatic breast cancer. Eur. J. Cancer Care 2005, 14, 211–222.
- Mougalian, S.S.; Aminawung, J.A.; Presley, C.J.; Canavan, M.E.; Holland, M.L.; Hu, X.; Gross, C.P. Prioritization of patient-reported outcomes by women with metastatic breast cancer. JCO Clin. Cancer Inform. 2019, 3, 1–3.