- Please check and comment entries here.
Reflexive governance, as a new mode of governance, has been developed as a way to be more inclusive and more reflexive and respond to complex risks.
2. Reflexive Governance, Participation and Deliberative Democracy
This entry is adapted from 10.3390/su13105679
- Newig, J.; Voß, J.; Monstadt, J. Editorial: Governance for Sustainable Development in the Face of Ambivalence, Uncertainty and Distributed Power: An Introduction. J. Environ. Policy Plan. 2007, 9, 185–192.
- Bäckstrand, K.; Kuyper, J.; Linnér, B.; Lövbrand, E. Non-state actors in global climate governance: From Copenhagen to Paris and beyond. Environ. Politics 2017, 26, 56–579.
- Dryzek, J.; Pickering, J. Deliberation as a catalyst for reflexive environmental governance. In Working Paper Series 3; Centre for Deliberative Democracy and Global Governance: Canberra, Australia, 2016.
- Voß, J.-P.; Bornemann, B. The Politics of Reflexive Governance: Challenges for Designing Adaptive Management and Transition Management. Ecol. Soc. 2011, 16. Available online: (accessed on 2 June 2020).
- Gunningham, N. Regulatory reform and reflexive regulation: Beyond command and control. In Reflexive Governance for Global Public Goods, Politics, Science and the Environment; Brousseau, E., Dedeurwaerdere, T., Siebenhüner, B., Eds.; MIT Press: Cambridge, MA, USA, 2012; pp. 85–104.
- Swyngedouw, E.; Kaika, M. Urban political ecology. Great promises, deadlock… and new beginnings? Doc. d’Anàlisi Geogràfica 2014, 60, 459–481.
- Dagkas, A.; Tsoukala, K. Civil society, identity, space and power in the neoliberal age in Latin America and Greece. Synergies 2011, 3, 105–113.
- Rosenau, J.N. Governance, Order and Change in World Politics. In Governance without Government: Order and Change in World Politics; Rosenau, J.N., Czempiel, E.-O., Eds.; Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, UK, 1992; Chapter 1; pp. 1–29.
- Luna, V. From Neoliberalism to Possible Alternatives. Inf. Econ. 2015, 395, 35–49.
- Santos, T. Confronting governance challenges of the resource nexus through reflexivity: A cross-case comparison of biofuels policies in Germany and Brazil. Energy Res. Soc. Sci. 2020, 65, 101464.
- Pickering, J. Ecological reflexivity: Characterising an elusive virtue for governance in the Anthropocene. Environ. Politics 2019, 28, 1145–1166.
- Weiland, S. Reflexive governance: A way forward for coordinated natural resource policy? In Environmental Governance: The Challenge of Legitimacy and Effectiveness; Hogl, K., Kvarda, E., Nordbeck, R., Pregernig, M., Eds.; Edward Elgar Publishing: Cheltenham, UK, 2012.
- McNutt, K.; Rayner, J. Valuing Metaphor: A constructive account of reflexive governance in policy networks. In Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Interpretative Policy Analysis, Grenoble, France, 23–25 June 2010.
- Meadowcroft, J.; Steurer, R. Assessment practices in the policy and politics cycles: A contribution to reflexive governance for sustainable development. J. Environ. Policy Plan. 2018, 20, 734–775.
- Boström, M.; Lidskog, R.; Uggla, Y. A reflexive look at reflexivity in environmental sociology. Environ. Sociol. 2017, 3, 6–16.
- Beck, U. Risk Society; SAGE Publications: Thousand Oaks, CA, USA, 1992.
- Beck, U.; Giddens, A.; Lash, S. Reflexive Modernization; Polity Press: Cambridge, UK, 1994.
- Rosa, E.; Renn, O.; McCright, A. The Risk Society Revisited: Social Theory and Governance; Temple University Press: Philadelphia, PA, USA, 2014.
- Malherbe, S.; Segal, N. Corporate Governance in South Africa. In Proceedings of the Policy Dialogue Meeting on Corporate Governance in Developing Countries and Emerging Economies, OECD Development Centre and the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, OECD headquarters, Muldersdrift, South Africa, 23–24 April 2001.
- Beck, U. The Metamorphosis of the World; Polity Press: Cambridge, UK, 2016.
- Giddens, A. The Consequences of Modernity; Polity Press: Cambridge, UK, 1990.
- Visvizi, A. Safety, risk, governance and the Eurozone crisis: Rethinking the conceptual merits of ‘global safety governance’. In Essays on Global Safety Governance: Challenges and Solutions; Kłosińska-Dąbrowska, P., Ed.; University of Warsaw Publishing Programme: Warsaw, Poland, 2015.
- Kunseler, E. Revealing a paradox in scientific advice to governments. Palgrave Commun. 2016, 2, 1–9.
- Kooiman, J.; Bavinck, M.; Chuenpagdee, R.; Mahon, R.; Pullin, R. Interactive Governance and Governability: An Introduction. J. Transdiscipl. Environ. Stud. 2008, 7, 1–11.
- Weston, D.; Goga, S. Natural Resource Governance Systems in South Africa. Water Research Commission; Department of Water and Sanitation: Pretoria, South Africa, 2016; Available online: (accessed on 2 June 2020).
- Marissing, V.E. Citizen participation in the Netherlands Motives to involve citizens in planning processes. In Proceedings of the ENHR Conference ‘Housing: New Challenges and Innovations in Tomorrow’s Cities’, Reykjavik, Iceland, 29 June–3 July 2005.
- Rogers, P.; Hall, A.W. Effective Water Governance; Global Water Partnership Technical Committee, TEC Background Papers; Elanders: Mölndal, Sweden, 2003; Volume 7.
- Tembo, F. Participation, Negotiation, and Poverty: Encountering the Power of Images; Ashgate Publishing Company: Farnham, UK, 2003.
- Graham, D.; Amos, B.; Plumptre, T. Principles for Good Governance in the 21st Century. In Proceedings of the Fifth World Parks Congress, Durban, South Africa, 8–17 September 2003.
- Fig, D. Manufacturing amnesia. Int. Aff. 2005, 81, 599–617.
- Wesselink, A.; Paavola, J.; Fritsch, O.; Renn, O. Rationales for public participation in environmental policy and governance: Practitioners’ perspectives. Environ. Plan. 2011, 43, 2688–2704.
- Zeijl-Rozema, A.; Cörvers, R.; Kemp, R. Governance for sustainable development: A framework. In Proceedings of the Earth System Governance: Theories and Strategies for Sustainability, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 24–26 May 2007.
- Blowers, A. Environmental Policy: Ecological Modernisation or the Risk Society? Urban Stud. 1997, 34, 845–871.
- Leonard, L. Governance, participation and mining development. Politikon 2017, 44, 327–345.
- Orr, R. Governing When Chaos Rules: Enhancing governance and participation. Wash. Q. 2002, 25, 139–152.
- Ishii, R.; Farhad, H.; Rees, C. Participation in Decentralized Local Governance: Two Contrasting Cases from the Philippines. Public Organ. Rev. 2007, 7, 359–373.
- Arnstein, R.S. A Ladder of Citizen Participation. J. Am. Inst. Plan. 1969, 35, 216–224.