- Please check and comment entries here.
Application of Ground Heat Exchangers
Geothermal energy is a widely available, constant source of renewable energy that has shown great potential as an alternative source of energy in achieving global energy sustainability and environment protection. When exploiting geothermal energy, whether is for heating or cooling of buildings, a ground heat exchanger (GHE) is the most important component, whose performance can be easily improved by following the latest design aspects.
2. Different types of Ground Heat Exchangers
2.1. Horizontal Heat Exchanger Configurations
2.2. Vertical Heat Exchanger Configurations
2.3. Shallow Ground Heat Exchanger Configurations
2.4. Direct Expansion Systems
The entry is from 10.3390/en14082134
- Soltani, M.; Kashkooli, F.M.; Dehghani-Sanij, A.R.; Kazemi, A.R.; Bordbar, N.; Farshchi, M.J.; Elmi, M.; Gharali, K.; B. Dusseault, M. A comprehensive study of geothermal heating and cooling systems. Sustain. Cities Soc. 2019, 44, 793–818.
- Florides, G.; Kalogirou, S. Ground heat exchangers-A review of systems, models and applications. Renew. Energy 2007, 32, 2461–2478.
- Carotenuto, A.; Ciccolella, M.; Massarotti, N.; Mauro, A. Models for thermo-fluid dynamic phenomena in low enthalpy geothermal energy systems: A review. Renew. Sustain. Energy Rev. 2016, 60, 330–355.
- Lucia, U.; Simonetti, M.; Chiesa, G.; Grisolia, G. Ground-source pump system for heating and cooling: Review and thermodynamic approach. Renew. Sustain. Energy Rev. 2017, 70, 867–874.
- Atam, E.; Helsen, L. Ground-coupled heat pumps: Part 1—Literature review and research challenges in modeling and optimal control. Renew. Sustain. Energy Rev. 2016, 54, 1653–1667.
- Atam, E.; Helsen, L. Ground-coupled heat pumps: Part 2—Literature review and research challenges in optimal design. Renew. Sustain. Energy Rev. 2016, 54, 1668–1684.
- Rouag, A.; Benchabane, A.; Mehdid, C.E. Thermal design of Earth-to-Air Heat Exchanger. Part I a new transient semi-analytical model for determining soil temperature. J. Clean. Prod. 2018, 182, 538–544.
- Yusof, T.M.; Ibrahim, H.; Azmi, W.H.; Rejab, M.R.M. Thermal analysis of earth-to-air heat exchanger using laboratory simulator. Appl. Therm. Eng. 2018, 134, 130–140.
- Agrawal, K.K.; Misra, R.; Agrawal, G. Das to study the effect of different parameters on the thermal performance of ground-air heat exchanger system: In situ measurement. Renew. Energy 2020, 146, 2070–2083.
- Congedo, P.M.; Lorusso, C.; Baglivo, C.; Milanese, M.; Raimondo, L. Experimental validation of horizontal air-ground heat exchangers (HAGHE) for ventilation systems. Geothermics 2019, 80, 78–85.
- Baglivo, C.; D’Agostino, D.; Congedo, P.M. Design of a ventilation system coupled with a horizontal air-ground heat exchanger (HAGHE) for a residential building in a warm climate. Energies 2018, 11, 2122.
- Baglivo, C.; Bonuso, S.; Congedo, P.M. Performance Analysis of Air Cooled Heat Pump Coupled with Horizontal Air Ground Heat Exchanger in the Mediterranean Climate. Energies 2018, 11, 2704.
- Xu, X.; Yu, J.; Wang, S.; Wang, J. Research and application of active hollow core slabs in building systems for utilizing low energy sources. Appl. Energy 2014, 116, 424–435.
- Gao, J.; Li, A.; Xu, X.; Gang, W.; Yan, T. Ground heat exchangers: Applications, technology integration and potentials for zero energy buildings. Renew. Energy 2018, 128, 337–349.
- Habibi, M.; Hakkaki-Fard, A. Evaluation and improvement of the thermal performance of different types of horizontal ground heat exchangers based on techno-economic analysis. Energy Convers. Manag. 2018, 171, 1177–1192.
- Cui, Y.; Zhu, J.; Twaha, S.; Chu, J.; Bai, H.; Huang, K.; Chen, X.; Zoras, S.; Soleimani, Z. Techno-economic assessment of the horizontal geothermal heat pump systems: A comprehensive review. Energy Convers. Manag. 2019, 191, 208–236.
- Kim, M.J.; Lee, S.R.; Yoon, S.; Go, G.H. Thermal performance evaluation and parametric study of a horizontal ground heat exchanger. Geothermics 2016, 60, 134–143.
- Yang, H.; Cui, P.; Fang, Z. Vertical-borehole ground-coupled heat pumps: A review of models and systems. Appl. Energy 2010, 87, 16–27.
- Cui, Y.; Zhu, J.; Twaha, S.; Riffat, S. A comprehensive review on 2D and 3D models of vertical ground heat exchangers. Renew. Sustain. Energy Rev. 2018, 94, 84–114.
- Holmberg, H.; Acuña, J.; Næss, E.; Sønju, O.K. Thermal evaluation of coaxial deep borehole heat exchangers. Renew. Energy 2016, 97, 65–76.
- Sapinska-Sliwa, A.; Rosen, M.A.; Gonet, A.; Sliwa, T. Deep Borehole Heat Exchangers-A Conceptual and Comparative Review. Int. J. Air-Cond. Refrig. 2016, 24.
- Beier, R.A. Thermal response tests on deep borehole heat exchangers with geothermal gradient. Appl. Therm. Eng. 2020, 178, 115447.
- Bu, X.; Ma, W.; Li, H. Geothermal energy production utilizing abandoned oil and gas wells. Renew. Energy 2012, 41, 80–85.
- Lo Russo, S.; Gizzi, M.; Taddia, G. Abandoned oil and gas wells exploitation by means of closed-loop geothermal systems: A review. Geoing. Ambient. Min. 2020, 160, 3–11.
- Macenić, M.; Kurevija, T. Revitalization of abandoned oil and gas wells for a geothermal heat exploitation by means of closed circulation: Case study of the deep dry well Pčelić-1. Interpretation 2018, 6, SB1–SB9.
- Mehmood, A.; Yao, J.; Fan, D.; Bongole, K.; Liu, J.; Zhang, X. Potential for heat production by retrofitting abandoned gas wells into geothermal wells. PLoS ONE 2019, 14, e0220128.
- Nian, Y.-L.; Cheng, W.L.; Yang, X.Y.; Xie, K. Simulation of a novel deep ground source heat pump system using abandoned oil wells with coaxial BHE. Int. J. Heat Mass Transf. 2019, 137, 400–412.
- Dai, C.; Li, J.; Shi, Y.; Zeng, L.; Lei, H. An experiment on heat extraction from a deep geothermal well using a downhole coaxial open loop design. Appl. Energy 2019, 252, 113447.
- Li, C.; Guan, Y.; Liu, J.; Jiang, C.; Yang, R.; Hou, X. Heat transfer performance of a deep ground heat exchanger for building heating in long-term service. Renew. Energy 2020, 166, 20–34.
- Luo, Y.; Xu, G.; Yan, T. Performance evaluation and optimization design of deep ground source heat pump with non-uniform internal insulation based on analytical solutions. Energy Build. 2020, 229, 110495.
- Deng, J.; Wei, Q.; He, S.; Liang, M.; Zhang, H. Simulation analysis on the heat performance of deep borehole heat exchangers in medium-depth geothermal heat pump systems. Energies 2020, 13, 754.
- Yao, J.; Liu, W.; Zhang, L.; Tian, B.; Dai, Y.; Huang, M. Performance analysis of a residential heating system using borehole heat exchanger coupled with solar assisted PV/T heat pump. Renew. Energy 2020, 160, 160–175.
- Alimonti, C.; Soldo, E. Study of geothermal power generation from a very deep oil well with a wellbore heat exchanger. Renew. Energy 2016, 86, 292–301.
- Najib, A.; Zarrella, A.; Narayanan, V.; Grant, P.; Harrington, C. A revised capacitance resistance model for large diameter shallow bore ground heat exchanger. Appl. Therm. Eng. 2019, 162, 114305.
- Rivera, J.A.; Blum, P.; Bayer, P. Increased ground temperatures in urban areas: Estimation of the technical geothermal potential. Renew. Energy 2017, 103, 388–400.
- Agbossou, A.; Souyri, B.; Stutz, B. Modelling of helical coil heat exchangers for heat pump applications: Analysis of operating modes and distance between heat exchangers. Appl. Therm. Eng. 2018, 129, 1068–1078.
- Boughanmi, H.; Lazaar, M.; Bouadila, S.; Farhat, A. Thermal performance of a conic basket heat exchanger coupled to a geothermal heat pump for greenhouse cooling under Tunisian climate. Energy Build. 2015, 104, 87–96.
- Najib, A.; Zarrella, A.; Narayanan, V.; Bourne, R.; Harrington, C. Techno-economic parametric analysis of large diameter shallow ground heat exchanger in California climates. Energy Build. 2020, 228, 110444.
- Cui, Y.; Zhu, J. Year-round performance assessment of a ground source heat pump with multiple energy piles. Energy Build. 2018, 158, 509–524.
- Warner, J.; Liu, X.; Shi, L.; Qu, M.; Zhang, M. A novel shallow bore ground heat exchanger for ground source heat pump applications—Model development and validation. Appl. Therm. Eng. 2020, 164, 114460.
- Badache, M.; Eslami-Nejad, P.; Bastani, A.; Aidoun, Z.; Nguyen, A. Theoretical and experimental analysis of a vertical direct expansion geothermal evaporator using CO2 as refrigerant. Sci. Technol. Built Environ. 2019, 25, 1081–1094.
- Ndiaye, D. Reliability and performance of direct-expansion ground-coupled heat pump systems: Issues and possible solutions. Renew. Sustain. Energy Rev. 2016, 66, 802–814.
- Bastani, A.; Eslami-Nejad, P.; Badache, M.; Nguyen, A.T.A. Experimental characterization of a transcritical CO2 direct expansion ground source heat pump for heating applications. Energy Build. 2020, 212.
- De Carli, M.; Fiorenzato, S.; Zarrella, A. Performance of heat pumps with direct expansion in vertical ground heat exchangers in heating mode. Energy Convers. Manag. 2015, 95, 120–130.
- Gao, Y.; Gao, T.; Liu, Z. Study on the heat transfer performance of boiling in vertical buried tube of direct expansion ground source heat pump. Energy Procedia 2019, 158, 5494–5503.
- Li, Y.; Xu, W.; Ma, L.; Zhao, J.; Li, W.; Wang, S.; Liu, J. Dynamic heat transfer analysis of a direct-expansion CO2 downhole heat exchanger. Appl. Therm. Eng. 2021, 189, 116733.
- Nguyen, A.; Elsami-Nejad, P.; Badache, M.; Bastani, A. Pressure–enthalpy coupled thermal resistance and capacity model (PH-TRCM) for direct-expansion borehole heat exchangers: Application for supercritical CO2. Geothermics 2018, 76, 50–59.