Hashtag recommendation suggests hashtags to users while they write microblogs in social media platforms. Although researchers have investigated various methods and factors that affect the performance of hashtag recommendations in Twitter and Sina Weibo, a systematic review of these methods is lacking.
2. A New Taxonomy for Hashtag Recommendation of Tweets
Despite the advancement of the current methods, further improvements are required to propose more effective methods that are less expensive in terms of time and computation and provide a personalized recommendation that covers a broader range of pre-defined and novel hashtags with higher accuracy. Furthermore, most of the previous research was tested offline. Recommending personalized hashtags in real-time is more difficult where the recommended hashtags need to be accurate and given instantly.
As an extension to work presented in Alsini et al.’s paper , the association of the four networks and their combined effect on the performance of hashtag recommendation can be examined. In addition, rather than considering the mutual tie relationships between users, weighted relationships can be used to construct the networks and detect communities.
It is challenging to compare newly proposed methods with baseline methods due to the variance in the size of the datasets (i.e., number of tweets, users, and hashtags). It is recommended for future research papers to set a minimum size of the dataset for evaluation.
With the dynamic nature of social media platforms, studies of hashtag recommendation should focus more on the automatic update of the data on the recommendation.
The entry is from 10.3390/fi13050129
- Ding, Z.; Zhang, Q.; Huang, X. Automatic Hashtag Recommendation for Microblogs using Topic-Specific Translation Model. In Proceedings of the COLING 2012: Posters, The COLING 2012 Organizing Committee, Mumbai, India, 8–15 December 2012; pp. 265–274.
- Ding, Z.; Qiu, X.; Zhang, Q.; Huang, X. Learning Topical Translation Model for Microblog Hashtag Suggestion. In Proceedings of the Twenty-Third International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence, IJCAI ’13, Beijing, China, 3–9 August 2013; pp. 2078–2084.
- Gong, Y.; Zhang, Q.; Huang, X. Hashtag Recommendation Using Dirichlet Process Mixture Models Incorporating Types of Hashtags. In Proceedings of the 2015 Conference on Empirical Methods in Natural Language Processing, Association for Computational Linguistics, Lisbon, Portugal, 17–21 September 2015; pp. 401–410.
- Gong, Y.; Zhang, Q.; Han, X.; Huang, X. Phrase-based hashtag recommendation for microblog posts. Sci. China Inform. Sci. 2016, 60, 012109.
- Song, S.; Meng, Y.; Zheng, Z. Recommending Hashtags to Forthcoming Tweets in Microblogging. In Proceedings of the 2015 IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Hong Kong, China, 9–12 October 2015; pp. 1998–2003.
- Yu, J.; Zhu, T. Combining long-term and short-term user interest for personalized hashtag recommendation. Front. Comput. Sci. 2015, 9, 608–622.
- Zhang, Q.; Gong, Y.; Sun, X.; Huang, X. Time-aware Personalized Hashtag Recommendation on Social Media. In Proceedings of the COLING 2014, the 25th International Conference on Computational Linguistics: Technical Papers, Dublin City University and Association for Computational Linguistics, Dublin, Ireland, 23–29 August 2014; pp. 203–212.
- Zangerle, E.; Gassler, W.; Specht, G. Recommending#-Tags in Twitter. In Proceedings of the Workshop on Semantic Adaptive Social Web (SASWeb 2011), CEUR Workshop Proceedings, Girona, Spain, 22–26 June 2011; pp. 67–78.
- Khabiri, E.; Caverlee, J.; Kamath, K.Y. Predicting Semantic Annotations on the Real-Time Web. In Proceedings of the 23rd ACM Conference on Hypertext and Social Media, HT ’12, Association for Computing Machinery, New York, NY, USA, 25–28 June 2012; pp. 219–228.
- Chen, C.; Yin, H.; Yao, J.; Cui, B. TeRec: A Temporal Recommender System over Tweet Stream. Proc. VLDB Endow. 2013, 6, 1254–1257.
- Ma, Z.; Sun, A.; Yuan, Q.; Cong, G. Tagging Your Tweets: A Probabilistic Modeling of Hashtag Annotation in Twitter. In Proceedings of the 23rd ACM International Conference on Conference on Information and Knowledge Management, Shanghai, China, 1 November 2014; pp. 999–1008.
- Jeon, M.; Jun, S.; Hwang, E. Hashtag Recommendation Based on User Tweet and Hashtag Classification on Twitter; Springer: Berlin/Heidelberg, Germany, 2014; pp. 325–336.
- Feng, W.; Wang, J. We can learn your #hashtags: Connecting tweets to explicit topics. In Proceedings of the 2014 IEEE 30th International Conference on Data Engineering, Chicago, IL, USA, 31 March–4 April 2014; pp. 856–867.
- Al-Dhelaan, M.; Alhawasi, H. Graph Summarization for Hashtag Recommendation. In Proceedings of the 2015 3rd International Conference on Future Internet of Things and Cloud, Rome, Italy, 24–26 August 2015; pp. 698–702.
- Zhang, Q.; Wang, J.; Huang, H.; Huang, X.; Gong, Y. Hashtag Recommendation for Multimodal Microblog Using Co-Attention Network. In Proceedings of the Twenty-Sixth International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence, IJCAI-17, Melbourne, Australia, 19–25 August 2017; pp. 3420–3426.
- Alsini, A.; Datta, A.; Li, J.; Huynh, D. Empirical Analysis of Factors Influencing Twitter Hashtag Recommendation on Detected Communities. In Proceedings of the Advanced Data Mining and Applications—13th International Conference, ADMA 2017, Singapore, 5–6 November 2017; pp. 119–131.
- Li, Y.; Jiang, J.; Liu, T.; Qiu, M.; Sun, X. Personalized Microtopic Recommendation on Microblogs. ACM Trans. Intell. Syst. Technol. 2017, 8.
- Kowald, D.; Pujari, S.C.; Lex, E. Temporal Effects on Hashtag Reuse in Twitter: A Cognitive-Inspired Hashtag Recommendation Approach. In Proceedings of the 26th International Conference on WWW, International World Wide Web Conferences Steering Committee, Geneva, Switzerland, 1 April 2017; pp. 1401–1410.
- Alsini, A.; Datta, A.; Huynh, D.Q.; Li, J. Community Aware Personalized Hashtag Recommendation in Social Networks. In Data Mining; Islam, R., Koh, Y.S., Zhao, Y., Warwick, G., Stirling, D., Li, C.T., Islam, Z., Eds.; Springer: Singapore, 2019; pp. 216–227.
- Ma, R.; Qiu, X.; Zhang, Q.; Hu, X.; Jiang, Y.G.; Huang, X. Co-attention Memory Network for Multimodal Microblog’s Hashtag Recommendation. IEEE Trans. Know. Data Eng. 2019.
- Belhadi, A.; Djenouri, Y.; Lin, C.W.; Cano, A. A Data-Driven Approach for Twitter Hashtag Recommendation. IEEE Access 2020, 8, 79182–79191.
- Javari, A.; He, Z.; Huang, Z.; Jeetu, R.; Chen-Chuan Chang, K. Weakly Supervised Attention for Hashtag Recommendation Using Graph Data. In Proceedings of the Web Conference 2020, WWW ’20, Taipei, Taiwan, 20–24 April 2020; Association for Computing Machinery: New York, NY, USA, 2020; pp. 1038–1048.
- Alsini, A.; Datta, A.; Huynh, D.Q. On Utilizing Communities Detected From Social Networks in Hashtag Recommendation. IEEE Trans. Comput. Soc. Syst. 2020, 7, 971–982.
- DeMasi, O.; Mason, D.; Ma, J. Understanding Communities via Hashtag Engagement: A Clustering Based Approach Authors. In Proceedings of the International AAAI Conference on Web and Social Media, Cologne, Germany, 17–20 May 2016.
- Laniado, D.; Mika, P. Making Sense of Twitter. In The Semantic Web—ISWC 2010; Patel-Schneider, P.F., Pan, Y., Hitzler, P., Mika, P., Zhang, L., Pan, J.Z., Horrocks, I., Glimm, B., Eds.; Springer: Berlin/Heidelberg, Germany, 2010; pp. 470–485.
- Chowdhury, J.R.; Caragea, C.; Caragea, D. On identifying hashtags in disaster twitter data. In Proceedings of the AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence, New York, NY, USA, 7–12 February 2020.
- Xiao, F.; Noro, T.; Tokuda, T. News-Topic Oriented Hashtag Recommendation in Twitter Based on Characteristic Co-occurrence Word Detection. In Web Engineering; Brambilla, M., Tokuda, T., Tolksdorf, R., Eds.; Springer: Berlin/Heidelberg, Germany, 2012; pp. 16–30.
- Jungherr, A.; Schoen, H.; Jürgens, P. The Mediation of Politics through Twitter: An Analysis of Messages posted during the Campaign for the German Federal Election 2013. J. Comput. Med. Commun. 2015, 21, 50–68.
- Ince, J.; Rojas, F.; Davis, C.A. The social media response to Black Lives Matter: How Twitter users interact with Black Lives Matter through hashtag use. Ethn. Rac. Stud. 2017, 40, 1814–1830.
- Silveira, T.; Zhang, M.; Lin, X.; Liu, Y.; Ma, S. How good your recommender system is? A survey on evaluations in recommendation. Int. J. Mach. Learn. Cybernet. 2017, 10.
- Ziegler, C.N.; McNee, S.M.; Konstan, J.A.; Lausen, G. Improving Recommendation Lists through Topic Diversification. In Proceedings of the 14th International Conference on World Wide Web, Chiba, Japan, 10–14 May 2010; Association for Computing Machinery: New York, NY, USA, 2005; pp. 22–32.
- Please check and comment entries here.